Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reasons why Andrew Luck will return next year.

Coltsfan0112

First of all I'm not saying he will return but they're a lot of clues why it's a possibility.

1st. Peter King on Rich Rosen said when he visited Colts in the beginning of August the Colts Brass nor Luck had a clue this was coming. He suggested a week later after they found the new issue retirement started creeping in. King said Luck was very excited for the season. My opinion is Luck really wants to play but really didn't want to go through the grind of rehabbing all year long.

2nd. I believe Holder asked the question. If the ankle heals would there be a chance if you'd return. Luck response is. "I can't see the future" but I see very clearly in my mind right now that I won't. My opinion, if you say you can't see the future that means that he may want to and of course he will say the ending part because he is retiring and that's how he's filling at the moment.

3. Irsay gifting the money and making the comments about other players wanting to comeback. Irsay is correct. Mj, tiger wanted to return. Sanders wanted to return but wanted to be traded and Lions refused. Recently players like Witten, Ryan khalil and percy harvin unretiring. Most players that do retire, unretire. Even Gronk put out there he could return this year or in the future. Needs to just get his mental part ready.

4. I truly do believe he will miss it and realizes that he will miss the game and the brotherhood. I just believe he wants time for himself right now and fully heal without going out there in serious pain. Look at last year as well. He said he has had the most fun he's had and made him truly appreciate the game. I just think with the time off and the body able to fully heal he will want to return.

We shall see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

First of all I'm not saying he will return but they're a lot of clues why it's a possibility.

1st. Peter King on Rich Rosen said when he visited Colts in the beginning of August the Colts Brass nor Luck had a clue this was coming. He suggested a week later after they found the new issue retirement started creeping in. King said Luck was very excited for the season. My opinion is Luck really wants to play but really didn't want to go through the grind of rehabbing all year long.

2nd. I believe Holder asked the question. If the ankle heals would there be a chance if you'd return. Luck response is. "I can't see the future" but I see very clearly in my mind right now that I won't. My opinion, if you say you can't see the future that means that he may want to and of course he will say the ending part because he is retiring and that's how he's filling at the moment.

3. Irsay gifting the money and making the comments about other players wanting to comeback. Irsay is correct. Mj, tiger wanted to return. Sanders wanted to return but wanted to be traded and Lions refused. Recently players like Witten, Ryan khalil and percy harvin unretiring. Most players that do retire, unretire. Even Gronk put out there he could return this year or in the future. Needs to just get his mental part ready.

4. I truly do believe he will miss it and realizes that he will miss the game and the brotherhood. I just believe he wants time for himself right now and fully heal without going out there in serious pain. Look at last year as well. He said he has had the most fun he's had and made him truly appreciate the game. I just think with the time off and the body able to fully heal he will want to return.

We shall see.

I fully expect that eventually, he's going to realize how much he misses it, & ultimately entertains coming back. The question is: does Ballard feel comfortable taking him back & opening himself up to potentially being hung out to dry if/when the general wear & tear of an NFL season starts to take it's toll on Luck again?

• Like 4

Luck would have to clear the big hurdle of apprehension over the injury-rehab-pain cycle that got him into this funk even if he fully healed and the pain was gone. This is football and very difficult to avoid getting injured. I want him to come back, but it's unlikely.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I fully expect that eventually, he's going to realize how much he misses it, & ultimately entertains coming back. The question is: does Ballard feel comfortable taking him back & opening himself up to potentially being hung out to dry if/when the general wear & tear of an NFL season starts to take it's toll on Luck again?

I agree 100%. Hypothetically speaking, say if Luck does want to return next year they will openly take him back but make no mistake Ballard will still make it a point to draft a young Qb in fall back. Say if Jacoby plans out he may trade Jacoby or trade Luck. It all depends. Also, the big decision is Irsay and I doubt he will want Luck traded.

26 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

1st. Peter King on Rich Eisen said when he visited Colts in the beginning of August the Colts Brass nor Luck had a clue this was coming. He suggested a week later after they found the new issue retirement started creeping in. King said Luck was very excited for the season. My opinion is Luck really wants to play but really didn't want to go through the grind of rehabbing all year long.

We shall see.

6 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

Also, the big decision is Irsay and I doubt he will want Luck traded.

This is actually a concern of mine. What if Luck wants to come back, & Ballard's like "That's fine, but it's not happening here, you walked away, & we've moved on. If you want, I'll trade you for a boatload of picks to any team of your choice, besides New England."

Cue Irsay "You'll trade Andrew Luck over my dead body Chris."

• Like 1

I can see him coming back as well.  I just think he needed a minute to get away from the game with the new marriage and the new  baby.  Just get his head cleared out.  Problem is if he comes back how long will it take before the next injury happens and a new cycle of rehab.   Will he be back out the door?

• Like 2

There are plenty of rumors going around that he just wanted to take a leave of absence and rehab on his own.  

There was a financial settlement reached between Luck and the Colts.  I think it's possible that the agreement allows Luck to get away from the spotlight of going to the IR and rehabbing while the fans and the media constantly ask when he's coming back.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

There are plenty of rumors going around that he just wanted to take a leave of absence and rehab on his own.  

There was a financial settlement reached between Luck and the Colts.  I think it's possible that the agreement allows Luck to get away from the spotlight of going to the IR and rehabbing while the fans and the media constantly ask when he's coming back.  

I suppose it's possible this is all a ruse to allow Luck to rehab in privacy & not have his absence be a distraction for the team all season long. Seems like a stretch, but it's possible.

He's gone.  Personally it sounds to me like he's suffering from PTSD.  It's the sort of thing that can happen to a pro ballplayer, his actions in recent moments just look like someone who's having trouble putting the trauma of past seasons behind him.  I don't think it would be in any way good for him, or for us, if he comes back.

• Like 5

Ideal scenario would be for Brissett to have a great year and everyone wants him as the future QB of the Colts.

AND Luck wants to play in 2020, so the Colts can trade him and get compensated for the loss.

Under that scenario, what could the Colts get for Luck, a first round pick? .. More?

1 minute ago, egg said:

Ideal scenario would be for Brissett to have a great year and everyone wants him as the future QB of the Colts.

AND Luck wants to play in 2020, so the Colts can trade him and get compensated for the loss.

Under that scenario, what could the Colts get for Luck, a first round pick? .. More?

the highest pick for comp picks is a 3rd.... at the end of the round

I'm over this already, I'm excited to see if what both Brissett and Kelly

can do in Reich's system. Both men have been cleared by Brian Decker's

check list, so no one knows if Luck has what it takes to pass Decker's 

testing system, since he was both signed and resigned by Grigson.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

the highest pick for comp picks is a 3rd.... at the end of the round

compensatory picks don't apply here.  That's only if a player becomes an unrestricted free agent.  This is a scenario where Luck would either be cut or traded.

• Like 1

So we keep the "Andrew might be back " story alive and (to me at least ) he can kind of hold our front office HOSTAGE because if they have any belief that he will come back we will FREEZE our QB plans until we find out what he plans to do …….I vote lets move on and tell him do not call us we will call you . Puts the franchise in total control not him .

• Like 5

Irsay offers an unlimited subscription to any book club he wants to join or promote, and Andrew says "deal". 

Or Peyton goes to Europe and smacks him in the head and tells him "get your head straight, young man, you are going back to Indy, now drink this TB12 juice and Gronk CBD for your rehab. "

:) 

Feel free to keep adding to the above wishful thinking theories...it is more fun than berating the young man, I will say that.

• Like 1

Well, the QB position is very important, and we'll have committed to a new QB by then, or JB signed to a contract that reflects starter's money.

Unless Luck comes back immediately upon season's end and we can then decide on JB with Luck back in the works.

I think he's gone for good because I don't think he was ever really here to begin with, so to speak.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

We shall see.

Watching that press conference the other day was one of the hardest things I had to do. That gut behind the podium did not look like someone who is going make a comeback a few years from now. I don't see it happening, ever.

• Like 1

We shall see.

tenor.gif?itemid=6159589

I must admit i think there is a chance. 

Will miss football too much despite all his other interests etc. 

I  did wonder whether he just mentally couldn't take the needed move to IR, and certainly the King podcast and feedback from Holder showcases a guy 100% ready for the new season. Then a few weeks later retires? 

Bigger question i guess would be whether Ballard would take him back... 

We shall see.

Why are you doing this to me?  I need to let the pain of his retirement pass like a kidney stone or poop.