Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The reasons why Andrew Luck will return next year.

Coltsfan0112

I’m thinking of Parks & Rec when Ben keeps going back to the accounting firm, just to quit right away once he remembers how much it sucks. haha Aka: Andrew once he gets his first concussion after returning.

I hope Andrew enjoys retirement. He seems like the kind of guy who sticks to something once his mind is made up. But we shall see! 

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

When I root for the Colts I always root for "Best Case Scenario" which in this case mean I am now rooting for Jacoby Brissett to be (at least ) a vote getter for 2019 NFL MVP .

Good attitude!  The Andrew Luck era is over.  There's no point in regarding it as anything other than a happy memory IMHO.

For the next few years it's either going to be Brissett. or Brissett bridging t a guy Ballard likes in the draft.  Either option is acceptable.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

That returning might stop the never ending,  relentless torrant of negative posts about him from @csmopar!     No human being can withstand this never ending lava flow of hate!   Surely Luck will crack and come crawling back!     He'll stop by @CSMOPARS home and beg forgiveness!  And he'll offer to play for FREE!     And he'll offer to payback all the money that he has stolen from the franchise since the day he was drafted! 

haha

:number1: wait just a second, I never said I hated Luck....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, deedub75 said:

There are plenty of rumors going around that he just wanted to take a leave of absence and rehab on his own.  

We'll likely never know.  But the only way to go LOA without making the team suffer in some way would be got to reserve/retired list and return the remainder of the amortized signing and roster/bonus money.  Negotiate a new contract upon return. But what would that be?

There was a financial settlement reached between Luck and the Colts.  I think it's possible that the agreement allows

I'm not convinced it was any sort of bribe for future considerations.

Luck to get away from the spotlight of going to the IR and rehabbing while the fans and the media constantly ask when he's coming back.  

If it is the case, (I doubt it though) maybe there's some truth there, along with fans screaming for his rushed/early return at the first pick 6 JB throws, etc...

Personally, I know he'll hit the crossroads where he misses the guys (once he is fully healthy). and want to ocnsider playing.  But he will be reminded of the years of injury/pain/rehab cycles (by himself and maybe wife, dad, etc...) and is he willing to go through it again.  He'll have many other irons in the fire and not need to play again, and most likely never will. But never say never.

3 hours ago, Nadine said:

There's no waiting in football

There's no crying in Baseball  :)

• Haha 1

I don’t want him back. Always said he would be a good but not great QB like Donavon McNabb or Booner Esiason.   Luck quit, if he wants back we need to trade him. I respect and understand why he needs to walk away but I would hope he would understand we need to walk away from him.  Time to move on....bc he is done for good and was able to retire before thirty. Good for him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

First of all I'm not saying he will return but they're a lot of clues why it's a possibility.

1st. Peter King on Rich Rosen said when he visited Colts in the beginning of August the Colts Brass nor Luck had a clue this was coming. He suggested a week later after they found the new issue retirement started creeping in. King said Luck was very excited for the season. My opinion is Luck really wants to play but really didn't want to go through the grind of rehabbing all year long.

2nd. I believe Holder asked the question. If the ankle heals would there be a chance if you'd return. Luck response is. "I can't see the future" but I see very clearly in my mind right now that I won't. My opinion, if you say you can't see the future that means that he may want to and of course he will say the ending part because he is retiring and that's how he's filling at the moment.

3. Irsay gifting the money and making the comments about other players wanting to comeback. Irsay is correct. Mj, tiger wanted to return. Sanders wanted to return but wanted to be traded and Lions refused. Recently players like Witten, Ryan khalil and percy harvin unretiring. Most players that do retire, unretire. Even Gronk put out there he could return this year or in the future. Needs to just get his mental part ready.

4. I truly do believe he will miss it and realizes that he will miss the game and the brotherhood. I just believe he wants time for himself right now and fully heal without going out there in serious pain. Look at last year as well. He said he has had the most fun he's had and made him truly appreciate the game. I just think with the time off and the body able to fully heal he will want to return.

We shall see.

It’s certainly a possibility.  However, we also have a GM by the name of Chris Ballard who has made known his preference for players that are all in.  He may not feel Luck fits that profile now.  Who wants the specter of uncertainty continually hovering over this franchise at the most important position?  Sometimes it might be best to just move on.  So if Luck does return then I wouldn’t be too surprised if Ballard traded Luck for that very reason.  That is if Irsay doesn’t interfere...a very big if.  Lol. A lot will depend on where this team is at when and if Luck comes back. 

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

The '5 Stages of Grief' has been upgraded. It now includes an additional stage. Wishful Thinking.

Isn't that the same as bargaining?

We are passed the Denial and anger stages... We are Bargaining. "Maybe he'll come back." 

Next is depression. Finally acceptance. I just hope we skip through the depression and accept things by about week 3 because they are going so well... otherwise, depression might last a while.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

This is actually a concern of mine. What if Luck wants to come back, & Ballard's like "That's fine, but it's not happening here, you walked away, & we've moved on. If you want, I'll trade you for a boatload of picks to any team of your choice, besides New England."

Cue Irsay "You'll trade Andrew Luck over my dead body Chris."

I like Ballard's approach on this issue-the Colts aren't one guy.  I love Andrew Luck but you don't quit and then show up one day in a year or so and say, "Well, I'm back!"   Maybe they've worked out something behind the scenes as a possibility and the retirement is a leave of absence for physical and mental health....maybe it's for good. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I like Ballard's approach on this issue-the Colts aren't one guy.  I love Andrew Luck but you don't quit and then show up one day in a year or so and say, "Well, I'm back!"   Maybe they've worked out something behind the scenes as a possibility and the retirement is a leave of absence for physical and mental health....maybe it's for good. 

The consensus of the podcasts that I've been listening to from local media & radio guys seems to be that there's a minimum of 50/50 chance he comes back.

52 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We are passed the Denial and anger stages... We are Bargaining. "Maybe he'll come back." 

Next is depression. Finally acceptance. I just hope we skip through the depression and accept things by about week 3 because they are going so well... otherwise, depression might last a while.

My lack of analysis of the 5 stages was a wee clue that it was no more than a feeble quip to gain likes and highlight my thoughts on those still in denial....

• Like 1

If and that's a big if he wants to play football again trade him to the Chargers. Rivers can't play forever. He'd be back in CA. The weathers nice, and LAC has a nice team to build around him. We on the other hand need to move on. If JB is good enough to make us a playoff team fine. If not then we look to the draft for our next generational QB(no I don't think CK is the second coming of his uncle). The Luck Era is over regardless of what he may decide to do in the future.

58 minutes ago, FRW said:

If and that's a big if he wants to play football again trade him to the Chargers. Rivers can't play forever. He'd be back in CA. The weathers nice, and LAC has a nice team to build around him. We on the other hand need to move on. If JB is good enough to make us a playoff team fine. If not then we look to the draft for our next generational QB(no I don't think CK is the second coming of his uncle). The Luck Era is over regardless of what he may decide to do in the future.

Upper tier QB's don't grow on college campus trees, nor is it easy finding/getting a very good QB or every NFL team would have one.  Miami has been searching since Marino, How many QB's in FA and draft picks has the Browns gone through these last few decades? 

Colts and their especially newer) fans have been lucky with Peyton and Andrew.  I'd wager not many here knows what it feels like when your team has Mike Pagel, Mark Herrmann. Jack Trudeau, Gary Hogeboom, and Chris Chandler (who I kind of liked) heading out there each week over many years as your QB. Then it was supposed to be Jeff George to save the day... luckily we got Jim Harbaugh for a couple seasons to soften the blow and make room for Peyton Manning and all the new fans he ushered in.

I do not know how it goes from here, but I've seen great... and also endured the opposite end of the spectrum. I'll survive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I agree 100%. Hypothetically speaking, say if Luck does want to return next year they will openly take him back but make no mistake Ballard will still make it a point to draft a young Qb in fall back. Say if Jacoby plans out he may trade Jacoby or trade Luck. It all depends. Also, the big decision is Irsay and I doubt he will want Luck traded.

Brissett is a FA after the 2019 season.

I believe the only way the Colts could trade JB would be to franchise him. I really doubt he will prove to be that kind of a talent. 

6 hours ago, DarkSuperman87 said:

Watching that press conference the other day was one of the hardest things I had to do. That gut behind the podium did not look like someone who is going make a comeback a few years from now. I don't see it happening, ever.

I agree with this, As much as I would love it, I think hes had enough. Luck is cut from a different cloth than most!! He doesn't need football! He doesn't strike me as a guy who will change is mind!

6 hours ago, DarkSuperman87 said:

Watching that press conference the other day was one of the hardest things I had to do. That gut behind the podium did not look like someone who is going make a comeback a few years from now. I don't see it happening, ever.

Sounds like you've been blessed with an easy, and wonderful life if watching is even a blip on the radar of toughest things you've done...  I know you were being hyperbolic, but cmon....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

boy, this place does not do well with that anger stage

image.png.67546143d7f16cbb398e45501ed39805.png

• Haha 3

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking, but I think this is Luck taking a hiatus to take all the time he wants to get himself ready not only physically, but mentally as well without having the pressure of the franchise and have outside resources away from the NFL and the rules and guidelines he needs to follow. Just my .02

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Upper tier QB's don't grow on college campus trees, nor is it easy finding/getting a very good QB or every NFL team would have one.  Miami has been searching since Marino, How many QB's in FA and draft picks has the Browns gone through these last few decades? 

Colts and their especially newer) fans have been lucky with Peyton and Andrew.  I'd wager not many here knows what it feels like when your team has Mike Pagel, Mark Herrmann. Jack Trudeau, Gary Hogeboom, and Chris Chandler (who I kind of liked) heading out there each week over many years as your QB. Then it was supposed to be Jeff George to save the day... luckily we got Jim Harbaugh for a couple seasons to soften the blow and make room for Peyton Manning and all the new fans he ushered in.

I do not know how it goes from here, but I've seen great... and also endured the opposite end of the spectrum. I'll survive.

I've been watching the Colts since they moved here. I've suffered through it all. I won't miss any of the games this year and will be rooting for JB to succeed. If he doesn't then I guess we'll see who we can find to replace him. I don't expect us to have another generational QB in my lifetime (I'm pushing 70), but maybe with a better overall team we don't need one. We're going to find out pretty quickly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yikes Chrystal Chandelier and and the Trudeau era.  Can’t forgetJeff George.

18 hours ago, CR91 said:

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking, but I think this is Luck taking a hiatus to take all the time he wants to get himself ready not only physically, but mentally as well without having the pressure of the franchise and have outside resources away from the NFL and the rules and guidelines he needs to follow. Just my .02

Follow up question, please: do you think that this plan was blessed by the Colts they are waiting, or do you think this is his plan all by his lonesome?

I think he's done, but your thought would be my next best guess.

18 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Follow up question, please: do you think that this plan was blessed by the Colts they are waiting, or do you think this is his plan all by his lonesome?

I think he's done, but your thought would be my next best guess.

Well Irsay did seem to leave the door open at the possibility. Again this is just wishful thinking on my part. 

I'm fine with Luck returning to the NFL if he has a change of heart and recharges his batteries. Just not here with the Colts. He made his decision and Colts/fans need to move on and build the team/franchise/future based on Luck not being here. Time to find another franchise QB or develop one.

• Like 2

Nah. How could you ever trust him again ? Best case scenario is Jacoby balls out and they have all that money and picks to build a powerhouse around him. Or if JB is bad they have a high pick in a pretty good draft year.  Or many picks to trade up. I'm usually the skeptical sort but I really believe in Frank and Chris ability to put a winner on the field.  They don't need the Luck circus imo.  If Luck returns trade him for a kings ransom. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 9:04 AM, Coltsfan0112 said:

2nd. I believe Holder asked the question. If the ankle heals would there be a chance if you'd return. Luck response is. "I can't see the future" but I see very clearly in my mind right now that I won't. My opinion, if you say you can't see the future that means that he may want to and of course he will say the ending part because he is retiring and that's how he's filling at the moment.

I actually take his statement to mean: Sure, there is a possibility that I may come back. I'll leave that door open, however, based on what I know and how I feel, I am definitely not coming back.

Once he has gone through rehab, and he is pain free, and his child is born, I can't see any reason why he would change his mind to come back. It would only reinforce the notion that he made the right decision -- he would be living a happy, enjoyable life once again, but this time, away from football.

Also, Whalen and Fleener (two of his closest friends from Stanford) are now out of football. They have moved on with their lives away from football (Whalen just recently away from Canadian football) and I'm sure it helps Luck know that there is a happiness outside of football.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:04 AM, Coltsfan0112 said:

First of all I'm not saying he will return but they're a lot of clues why it's a possibility.

1st. Peter King on Rich Rosen said when he visited Colts in the beginning of August the Colts Brass nor Luck had a clue this was coming. He suggested a week later after they found the new issue retirement started creeping in. King said Luck was very excited for the season. My opinion is Luck really wants to play but really didn't want to go through the grind of rehabbing all year long.

3. Irsay gifting the money and making the comments about other players wanting to comeback. Irsay is correct. Mj, tiger wanted to return. Sanders wanted to return but wanted to be traded and Lions refused. Recently players like Witten, Ryan khalil and percy harvin unretiring. Most players that do retire, unretire. Even Gronk put out there he could return this year or in the future. Needs to just get his mental part ready.

4. I truly do believe he will miss it and realizes that he will miss the game and the brotherhood. I just believe he wants time for himself right now and fully heal without going out there in serious pain. Look at last year as well. He said he has had the most fun he's had and made him truly appreciate the game. I just think with the time off and the body able to fully heal he will want to return.

We shall see.

Yawn

5 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Also, Whalen and Fleener (two of his closest friends from Stanford) are now out of football. They have moved on with their lives away from football (Whalen just recently away from Canadian football) and I'm sure it helps Luck know that there is a happiness outside of football.

Unless both Whalen and Fleener are

miserable being out of the game.

Re 2nd post this wasn’t general wear and tear. That’s why he quit and why I don’t blame him. I don’t what people don’t get about this, like there are so many other guys with lacerated internal organs and doctors who change body parts in the prognosis room weeks apart.

Luck will definitely entertain coming back but not to team in shambles. So of course if they get it together he can’t just plop himself back into a good situation. He’d have to ask for a trade or a release and while that has been done more than once in less probable situations, I wouldn’t bet on that happening. Or would I lol!

On 8/28/2019 at 5:56 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Great point. I’ve actually met fans of other teams who dislike the Colts because we went from Peyton to Andrew so quickly. Rare to have back to back great talents at QB like that. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if he plays again, but imo, it won't be for the Colts. 

I wouldn't ever be comfortable that this wouldn't happen again and I doubt Ballard would either.  He'd be traded. 

Best for his legacy if he stays retired. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 4:06 PM, 18to87 said:

Listen to the JMV interview with Joe Reitz. Joe spoke with Luck and while he didn't give anything away, when JMV asked him if he thought he would stay retired, he quickly and confidently said yes. 

Apparently Hasselbeck during his CFB broadcast last night said that too and based it on what he knows. 

• Like 1