Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

MTC

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I thought it was really unique. Thats why i stayed so heavy on Pariss. You dont see too many 4.31 slot guys with the size of a #1 receiver. And i loved the fact that he used to be a running back. Goes really well with those slants and quick hitters we run. A lot of the plays i saw them running at OSU were similar to stuff we do in this O under Reich and he was explosive. Im sure it was easy for Reich and Ballard to see the fit.

Yeah thought the same thing. He could really thrive here.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Im hoping Fountain beats out Chester Rogers. Im expecting to see Fountains game elevate this year. Ive got good eyes. He can play too.

We get it - you got Funchess and Campbell.  :)

Just kidding.  Better than most.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Campbell averages 10+ yds per catch.

Oh and he also averages 10+ yds every time he runs it.

I think he might be able to help get 1st downs and extend drives.

Just to show how much of a playmaker he is - only 21 of his 111 targets were on 10+ yards throws downfield. He makes up yards ... 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just to show how much of a playmaker he is - only 21 of his 111 targets were on 10+ yards throws downfield. He makes up yards ... 

Nice to see we potentially have 2 waterbug type players (Hines) on O who could create some mismatches.

Not sure what Reich’s plan is for him. He is not a deep threat and doesn’t have great ball skills so don’t expect him to be another TY. He was mostly used on screens. More than 50% of his receptions were within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage and he only had 2 receptions 20+ yards down the field according to PFF.

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Not sure what Reich’s plan is for him. He is not a deep threat and doesn’t have great ball skills so don’t expect him to be another TY. He was mostly used on screens. More than 50% of his receptions were within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage and he only had 2 receptions 20+ yards down the field according to PFF.

Reich’s offense is built on screens and other passes that gets the ball out of Luck’s hands fast and letting play makers make plays.  Seems like a fit for the Colts offense.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Reich’s offense is built on screens and other passes that gets the ball out of Luck’s hands fast and letting play makers make plays.  Seems like a fit for the Colts offense.

Ya he will probably be used almost exclusively on short routes/dump offs. I just see a lot of people here posting that he is a deep threat because of his speed when that was not the case at OSU

13 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

We dont even throw deep often. Most of our offense are quick throws and screens

12 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Ya he will probably be used almost exclusively on short routes/dump offs. I just see a lot of people here posting that he is a deep threat because of his speed when that was not the case at OSU

This isnt OSU, they will do whatever else they think they want him to do in our scheme which could include a higher percentage of deep routes. Hes a slot receiver primarily so the short areas, underneath, over the middle and crossing routes are mostly where slots earn their check. Hes a for sure threat to take those little short passes we feed him to the house and he will keep drives extended for us.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Yeah, but... 809 YAC in 2018!!! 

Just what this O needs, sexiest draft choice I've seen in years, I just watched a bunch of video of him, moves and catches like a WR, runs like a RB. @krunk I see why you have been carrying on about him since day one... good eyes :woah:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

This is my favorite pick so far. 

Same... this and Bobby! 

One thing that I love is that players like Parris Campbell besides a weapon for the QB are also a litmus test for the offensive playcallers. You can see just how creative your OC and playcallers can get with a player like him. If your playcallers can't figure out how to use him, you need to be thinking about replacing your playcallers. 

The great thing is that Frank seems to be licking his chops at the prospect of integrating Parris in this offense. We might see another level to this offense next year(health permitting). 

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

Same... this and Bobby! 

One thing that I love is that players like Parris Campbell besides a weapon for the QB are also a litmus test for the offensive playcallers. You can see just how creative your OC and playcallers can get with a player like him. If your playcallers can't figure out how to use him, you need to be thinking about replacing your playcallers. 

The great thing is that Frank seems to be licking his chops at the prospect of integrating Parris in this offense. We might see another level to this offense next year(health permitting). 

Watching Campbell more closely, I see some similarities between Luck and Haskins. They can both hang on too long looking for their primary read, and at times miss the underneath guy who is open right away. Reich's play calling has emphasized quick throws, and Luck's efficiency numbers benefited. 

Add a player like Campbell to the mix, and I'm assuming Reich has a plan for him in the offense. If we didn't have other pass catchers and a really good QB, I could see a Percy Harvin like role for him early. But I think they'll move him between slot and Z and get him moving before the snap so he doesn't have to beat press. I don't know if he can run a hard slant against tight coverage, but I know if you give him traditional short slot routes and get him the ball on the run, he's gonna be dangerous.

I want to see him block with a little more enthusiasm, and I'd like to see a stiff arm to break tackles. But he's a good weapon for the Colts offense, pretty much just what I thought we needed this offseason.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

We dont even throw deep often. Most of our offense are quick throws and screens

we didn't throw deep often because we didn't have skilled vertical threat WRs beyond TY.

google 4 vert and reich or k-gun and reich

if reich is as advertised (his own and other articles/interviews), he absolutely has a vertical/deep element to his scheme that we just didn't see last year.

we took two late round speed guys (cain and fountain) last year, that for whatever reason didn't produce last year, but there's a reason why we took them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Watching Campbell more closely, I see some similarities between Luck and Haskins. They can both hang on too long looking for their primary read, and at times miss the underneath guy who is open right away. Reich's play calling has emphasized quick throws, and Luck's efficiency numbers benefited. 

Add a player like Campbell to the mix, and I'm assuming Reich has a plan for him in the offense. If we didn't have other pass catchers and a really good QB, I could see a Percy Harvin like role for him early. But I think they'll move him between slot and Z and get him moving before the snap so he doesn't have to beat press. I don't know if he can run a hard slant against tight coverage, but I know if you give him traditional short slot routes and get him the ball on the run, he's gonna be dangerous.

I want to see him block with a little more enthusiasm, and I'd like to see a stiff arm to break tackles. But he's a good weapon for the Colts offense, pretty much just what I thought we needed this offseason.

I'm looking forward to your draft review...

49 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

we didn't throw deep often because we didn't have skilled vertical threat WRs beyond TY.

google 4 vert and reich or k-gun and reich

if reich is as advertised (his own and other articles/interviews), he absolutely has a vertical/deep element to his scheme that we just didn't see last year.

we took two late round speed guys (cain and fountain) last year, that for whatever reason didn't produce last year, but there's a reason why we took them.

We're not doing the k-gun or peyton's version of that offense. Its a RPO, quick throw driven offense that will attack deep on occasion

12 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

For many years and many Super Bowls the Patriots have been very successful throwing very short passes to really fast receivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

We're not doing the k-gun or peyton's version of that offense. Its a RPO, quick throw driven offense that will attack deep on occasion

I'm not saying we're going to become Long Ball Indy by any means. And I know we're heavy RPO. That does not mean an RPO can't be vertical, or more vertical. What I'm saying is that Reich's history (and plenty of articles) suggest he wants to be more vertical. Many where he discusses doing things PM did. I believe his words were, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

I'd say his actions (drafting 3 vertical threat speedy WRs in 2 years) would suggest the same.

I think we'd all agree that coaches are a product of their history.

-As a player in college he was one of the ten most vertical QBs the one year he played, with a top 10 ypp in what was a very balanced O

-As a player in the NFL on the Bills, who ran the best example of K gun / 4vert

-His first stop in coaching was Indy for 4 years, 2 as Manning's QB coach (4500+ both years, and very vertical)

-Then to AZ for one year which was a horrible team with no QB

-His 3 years as SDC's as QBC and OC (his only true play calling years prior to joining the Colts) were top 10 in passing (horrible running), very vertical, and top 10 in passing yards per attempt 

-His 2 years in Phil, he did not call plays. He relayed plays from HC Pederson.

At the end of the day, we didn't have the personnel to run a strong vert attack last year, so why would we? We simply did what was best suited to the players we had. There's a reason why we drafted speed guys like Cain and Fountain last year. There's a reason why we drafted Campbell this year. Heck, the thought of a WR taken in the early rounds was laughed at by many on here. 

We can disagree, and that's fine. I'd bet though, if Cain and Campbell (or Fountain) get the snaps this year, I think you'll see more vertical attacking, and I think you'll see Luck's ypa take a nice tick up. Is that fair?

12 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I wouldn't rule him out on vertical routes. I see him more Z/Slot, but interesting takes from NFL.com below, and the same was echoed by the talking heads for the last couple months.

Urbs had a zillion weapons, and like many of them, limited him to the same stuff over and over again. He's raw, but has all the tools. Vert routes are the easiest thing to add to a WR, especially if their not starting on the line.

Overview

Blue-chip athlete with elite package of size, speed and fluidity as a big slot receiver. Campbell's athletic attributes could create a coverage conundrum if his offensive coordinator puts him in a diversified role that allows him to attack vertically more often. Teams know he's a gifted athlete, but he needs to add more polish as a route-runner to become a well-rounded target instead of a gadget slot. His upside is bolstered by his traits while his special teams ability and talent with the ball in his hands should level out any bust concerns.

Sources Tell Us

"Urban (Meyer) has a system and it works, but it makes it harder to evaluate his receivers. Mike Thomas was just okay in their offense and then he gets to the pros and he's great. Campbell is kind of raw, but that same thing could happen with him." -- Personnel executive for AFC team

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm not saying we're going to become Long Ball Indy by any means. And I know we're heavy RPO. That does not mean an RPO can't be vertical, or more vertical. What I'm saying is that Reich's history (and plenty of articles) suggest he wants to be more vertical. Many where he discusses doing things PM did. I believe his words were, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

I'd say his actions (drafting 3 vertical threat speedy WRs in 2 years) would suggest the same.

I think we'd all agree that coaches are a product of their history.

-As a player in college he was one of the ten most vertical QBs the one year he played, with a top 10 ypp in what was a very balanced O

-As a player in the NFL on the Bills, who ran the best example of K gun / 4vert

-His first stop in coaching was Indy for 4 years, 2 as Manning's QB coach (4500+ both years, and very vertical)

-Then to AZ for one year which was a horrible team with no QB

-His 3 years as SDC's as QBC and OC (his only true play calling years prior to joining the Colts) were top 10 in passing (horrible running), very vertical, and top 10 in passing yards per attempt 

-His 2 years in Phil, he did not call plays. He relayed plays from HC Pederson.

At the end of the day, we didn't have the personnel to run a strong vert attack last year, so why would we? We simply did what was best suited to the players we had. There's a reason why we drafted speed guys like Cain and Fountain last year. There's a reason why we drafted Campbell this year. Heck, the thought of a WR taken in the early rounds was laughed at by many on here. 

We can disagree, and that's fine. I'd bet though, if Cain and Campbell (or Fountain) get the snaps this year, I think you'll see more vertical attacking, and I think you'll see Luck's ypa take a nice tick up. Is that fair?

obviously we don't have the deep threat outside of  Hilton to attack deep, but you need to judge Riech's play calling not his career. Even in philly, they didn't attack deep. Their whole offense was running the ball with Ajayi and Blount and getting the ball to Ertz and Burton and occasionally go deep with Jeffery and Alghor. Also just because campbell wasn't used to attack defenses deep, doesn't mean he can't. Ohio State basically just used him in space. Reich is not that simple.