Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

MTC

39 minutes ago, CR91 said:

obviously we don't have the deep threat outside of  Hilton to attack deep, but you need to judge Riech's play calling not his career. Even in philly, they didn't attack deep. Their whole offense was running the ball with Ajayi and Blount and getting the ball to Ertz and Burton and occasionally go deep with Jeffery and Alghor. Also just because campbell wasn't used to attack defenses deep, doesn't mean he can't. Ohio State basically just used him in space. Reich is not that simple.

Reich didn't call plays in Philly. He basically managed Pederson's scheme and relayed Pederson's calls. That's why I don't see our O as permanently being a mirror to Philly. I think we're trying to tweak for added vertical attack (hence the 3 speed WRs in the last 2 years)

I said the same thing about Parris (and OSU) above to Luck4Pres

10 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Reich didn't call plays in Philly. He basically managed Pederson's scheme and relayed Pederson's calls. That's why I don't see our O as permanently being a mirror to Philly. I think we're trying to tweak for added vertical attack (hence the 3 speed WRs in the last 2 years)

I can only go by what I see and bascially what the eagles are doing on offense, is what we're doing

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

last year, without the personnel to go vert, absolutely.

do you not think vert routes will increase this year?

It could, but until it happens, I can only base Reich's offense by what I see

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It could, but until it happens, I can only base Reich's offense by what I see

Had Cain not went down last year, I think we would have seen more verts last year. By all reports he had locked down X before getting hurt and folks were saying he was looking very good on deep balls with Luck.

I'd love TY/Cain/Campbell + Ebron or Funchess in a 4 vert. You could even use Hines who has serious wheels too. 

31 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Had Cain not went down last year, I think we would have seen more verts last year. By all reports he had locked down X before getting hurt and folks were saying he was looking very good on deep balls with Luck.

I'd love TY/Cain/Campbell + Ebron or Funchess in a 4 vert. You could even use Hines who has serious wheels too. 

We'll have to wait and see

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Reich didn't call plays in Philly. He basically managed Pederson's scheme and relayed Pederson's calls. That's why I don't see our O as permanently being a mirror to Philly. I think we're trying to tweak for added vertical attack (hence the 3 speed WRs in the last 2 years)

3 speed WR's in the last 2 years.  Who? Campbell and ? Cain? He's a complete unknown.  Do you consider Funchess a major speed receiver?  He didn't really show that in Carolina.  Sure, he SHOULD have been breakaway, but I rarely saw any of that in his play in my opinion.  I HOPE these guys all step up, but I have more at least a little more confidence in our Rookie already than I do in Funchess or a yet to be proven/coming back from injury Cain.  

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

3 speed WR's in the last 2 years.  Who? Campbell and ? Cain? He's a complete unknown.  Do you consider Funchess a major speed receiver?  He didn't really show that in Carolina.  Sure, he SHOULD have been breakaway, but I rarely saw any of that in his play in my opinion.  I HOPE these guys all step up, but I have more at least a little more confidence in our Rookie already than I do in Funchess or a yet to be proven/coming back from injury Cain.  

Cain 4.43 (super fast)

Fountain 4.46 (fast)

Campbell 4.31 (faster than fast)

I wasn't suggesting that Funchess be a key downfield threat.

Funchess is possession guy, not really a speed guy. Ran a 4.7 at that combine.

He supposedly ran a 4.47 and 4.53 at his pro day, but pro days are notoriously generous to their kids. I'd say realistically he's faster than his combine 4.7, but not near as fast as his pro day. I'd guess he's likely in the 4.6 range currently, which is not bad for a TE-lite or big possession WR. I'm not sold on DF at all. I certainly want him to succeed though. I think his best long term position would be big-slot as opposed to X (where a lot of folks see him destined for).

Fountain was a project from the start, and more of a developmental pick. He's got the speed and raw tools, just needs to polish the route running side of his game. Campbell is limited in the route space too, but at least he played at a major D1.

Ultimately You want TY at Z and Cain at X. Campbell played a Z but OSU boxed him in to limited routes. He could easily end up at slot, and wouldn't shock me to see him get a try at X.

If TY starts to slow, Parris could end up at Z, and TY could be a beast at slot.

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Cain 4.43 (super fast)

Fountain 4.46 (fast)

Campbell 4.31 (faster than fast)

I wasn't suggesting that Funchess be a key downfield threat.

Funchess is possession guy, not really a speed guy. Ran a 4.7 at that combine.

He supposedly ran a 4.47 and 4.53 at his pro day, but pro days are notoriously generous to their kids. I'd say realistically he's faster than his combine 4.7, but not near as fast as his pro day. I'd guess he's likely in the 4.6 range currently, which is not bad for a TE-lite or big possession WR. I'm not sold on DF at all. I certainly want him to succeed though. I think his best long term position would be big-slot as opposed to X (where a lot of folks see him destined for).

Fountain was a project from the start, and more of a developmental pick. He's got the speed and raw tools, just needs to polish the route running side of his game. Campbell is limited in the route space too, but at least he played at a major D1.

Ultimately You want TY at Z and Cain at X. Campbell played a Z but OSU boxed him in to limited routes. He could easily end up at slot, and wouldn't shock me to see him get a try at X.

If TY starts to slow, Parris could end up at Z, and TY could be a beast at slot.

Ah.. see I don't even consider Fountain as a Colt.  I hope he proves me wrong, but he sure didn't do anything so far.  I figured he'd be the first player cut this offseason.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Fountain has been working really hard with a WR coach. Hopefully it will pay off and if not with us he can be a nfl receiver.

welp, he was drafted R5 before cain so i doubt they lose patience with him this fast. like i said, pretty sure they looked at him as raw project when they drafted him. i'd assume they'll give him at least 2 years of development before throwing in the towel. he can bounce back and forth to the roster and practice squad. 

in all fairness, with Luck coming back from injury, i'm sure most of the WRs suffered a bit in the development area. i'd guess the coaches were pretty stingy with WR reps in practice, and limited them to the starters and immediate backups while luck was sticking his toes back in the water.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Fountain has been working really hard with a WR coach. Hopefully it will pay off and if not with us he can be a nfl receiver.

yup. i've seen several bits about him working his butt off. 

i just hope he had a good QB tossing it to him

Here's CBS's grade on Parris. Also speaks to his use, or misuse at OSU. Like I mentioned above, I could see him in X or slot (he played some type of limited Z at OSU). I like him, he's too raw at this point for an A (more like a B due to his readiness) . I'd give him an A+ in potential though.

Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

GM Chris Ballard is knocking it out of the park. He is one of my favorite receivers. One of my No. 1 guys in this draft as it relates to outside guys. He can flat out fly. He was misused at Ohio State. Grade: A

• Like 2

Just watched the OSU-Washington rose bowl game. Campbell had a great game that day. Campbell catches the ball with his hands like your susposed to, he doesn't let it get to his body. He had 90 catches last season and 12 touchdowns. Must have been Haskins goto guy, meaning he was very dependable. Honestly, he reminds me of Reggie Wayne, only faster. 

1 hour ago, Bluesmith said:

Interesting video.  Big takeaways, he graduated high school at 16!  He received his full scholarship to OSU at 15!  I didn't even know that was possible.  After watching the video, questions about his maturity will be answered.

That is pretty amazing. Plus college and having a baby  while playing football. According to his girlfriends IG he started college courses right after graduating at 16.

6 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Just watched the OSU-Washington rose bowl game. Campbell had a great game that day. Campbell catches the ball with his hands like your susposed to, he doesn't let it get to his body. He had 90 catches last season and 12 touchdowns. Must have been Haskins goto guy, meaning he was very dependable. Honestly, he reminds me of Reggie Wayne, only faster. 

Which is the reason we won’t bring Inman back. Campbell has sure hands and will become dependable.

4 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Thats the comparison ive been making in my head as well. A much faster version of Reggie after the catch.

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That was a great article. He is going to take so much pressure off of TY. Not to mention all the other targets we have. If everyone stays healthy I don’t know how anyone can cover us.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I saw this too and got me hyped. I still can't understand why Urbs didn't give him more deep shots. I know they had other speed options, but this kid has serious wheels.

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That was a great article. He is going to take so much pressure off of TY. Not to mention all the other targets we have. If everyone stays healthy I don’t know how anyone can cover us.

Having a guy with this speed, and this type of YAC ability was our biggest need for the O IMO. I have to believe we won't limit his route tree like OSU, and let him stretch the field occasionally. If we do, our opponents will have to respect 100% of the field unlike last year. TY getting doubled won't happen near as much, if at all with Parris blazing around. If Cain comes back healthy, we could be top 3 passing. If Ebron continues, and Funchess works out, we could fight for #1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s going to be hard to have enough touches for everyone. Our offense is going to be scary. Then throw Hines in there and Mack with a good running game. Watch out because we won’t be stopped. The KC game should be fun. Hill killed us doing exactly what Campbell can do.

That one little change = us getting Campbell and them losing Hill could flip everything. We may now beat them now in the Regular Season and go 12-4 and get HFA. Luck gains a key weapon and Mahomes loses a key one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That one little change = us getting Campbell and them losing Hill could flip everything. We may now beat them now in the Regular Season and go 12-4 and get HFA. Luck gains a key weapon and Mahomes loses a key one.

Looking back on that game Hill didn’t kill us deep at all. It was his speed. Plus getting the D that can guard TE better should help a ton. I hope everyone stays healthy. This team has such great culture. So on IG today Ebron, Walker and Brissett had a cookout together. Ebron brought his oldest son with him. I have never seen a team as close as these guys are.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Looking back on that game Hill didn’t kill us deep at all. It was his speed. Plus getting the D that can guard TE better should help a ton. I hope everyone stays healthy. This team has such great culture. So on IG today Ebron, Walker and Brissett had a cookout together. Ebron brought his oldest son with him. I have never seen a team as close as these guys are.

Hill's speed killed us, that TD he had was crushing.

After reading more about Campbell and watching youtube highlights, the more I like the pick. He is not just as sprinter playing football.  He is a football player with sprinter speed.  He played RB in high school and it shows.  I was wondering why his Avg per catch about 13 per catch, was related low for a WR with great speed.  I see because OSU and Haskins threw a lot of short and underneath stuff to him and he did a good job holding on to the ball and running after the catch.  I think coach Reich had some vision how to use him to utilize his speed and create mismatches and add more pressure on opposing defenses.  We have TY, our big WR Funchess, and Campbell. Add TE Ebron and that is a mismatch nightmare for defenses. 

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The "threat" of Hill's deep potential made us defend the entire field. Reid used that threat and ate us up in different ways. That's what having a guy like Hill can do. Now we have the same kind of toy if Parris can go deep and keep Ds honest.

Where'd you see the cookout thing. Post a link if you have time.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

KC lost pass rush, and lost big time on O assuming Hill doesn't play this year. The script is flipped already I think. Mahomes will make other WRs look good, so they certainly won't be a slouch though. We added pass rush and a big weapon and now can get into a track meet if we need to.  

10 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

The "threat" of Hill's deep potential made us defend the entire field. Reid used that threat and ate us up in different ways. That's what having a guy like Hill can do. Now we have the same kind of toy if Parris can go deep and keep Ds honest.

Where'd you see the cookout thing. Post a link if you have time.

KC lost pass rush, and lost big time on O assuming Hill doesn't play this year. The script is flipped already I think. Mahomes will make other WRs look good, so they certainly won't be a slouch though. We added pass rush and a big weapon and now can get into a track meet if we need to.  

They signed Clark and picked up a couple DE in FA though.

Ebron and walker had IG stories with them cooking out.

5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I saw this too and got me hyped. I still can't understand why Urbs didn't give him more deep shots. I know they had other speed options, but this kid has serious wheels.

Why? Our O-line was garbage. Probably the worst in Urban's time at OSU and probably one of the worst at running the ball too. Ryan absolutely loved crossing patterns over the middle of the field while having a guy like McLaurin, Mack, or Victor stretch the field deep. Haskin's reads were deep and in, and normally the short read was the norm because no zone nor man coverage could limit the crossing patterns. They would hit those a handful of times and start getting the safety's to cheat up and that's where they would catch them deep. Again our OL just couldn't hold up to the to the long developing plays so they had to use the short passing game to open everything else up and Paris just feasted. I'm going to miss watching Haskins and those guys this year. It's amazing they went 12-1 last year with how many deficiencies they had on the OL and the back 7 on D. 

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Why? Our O-line was garbage. Probably the worst in Urban's time at OSU and probably one of the worst at running the ball too. Ryan absolutely loved crossing patterns over the middle of the field while having a guy like McLaurin, Mack, or Victor stretch the field deep. Haskin's reads were deep and in, and normally the short read was the norm because no zone nor man coverage could limit the crossing patterns. They would hit those a handful of times and start getting the safety's to cheat up and that's where they would catch them deep. Again our OL just couldn't hold up to the to the long developing plays so they had to use the short passing game to open everything else up and Paris just feasted. I'm going to miss watching Haskins and those guys this year. It's amazing they went 12-1 last year with how many deficiencies they had on the OL and the back 7 on D. 

Urbs O works, so I can't criticize from a game perspective, but we hear often come draft time how hard OSU's WRs are to grade and project. Regarding Parris, it's not so much that his route tree was limited, it was how much it was limited. 

15 hours ago, Bluesmith said:

Interesting video.  Big takeaways, he graduated high school at 16!  He received his full scholarship to OSU at 15!  I didn't even know that was possible.  After watching the video, questions about his maturity will be answered.

yep, I teared up....

• Like 2