Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MTC

Colts draft Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

Recommended Posts

As if you needed any more reasons to be excited about this dude in the Colts offense, I especially like all of the discussion about why he wasn't used more downfield at pOSU, and the potential he has as a downfield threat, without further ado:

 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=newssearch&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjui_el3_XhAhWPdt8KHcfJDqwQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbnation.com%2Fnfl%2F2019%2F4%2F24%2F18508769%2Fparris-campbell-nfl-draft-2019-indianapolis-colts-scouting-report-breakdown-ohio-state&psig=AOvVaw2_6ZlrdymHZfhMMwLqzdnU&ust=1556642488735670

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 12:08 PM, Irish YJ said:

Reich didn't call plays in Philly. He basically managed Pederson's scheme and relayed Pederson's calls. That's why I don't see our O as permanently being a mirror to Philly. I think we're trying to tweak for added vertical attack (hence the 3 speed WRs in the last 2 years)

 

I said the same thing about Parris (and OSU) above to Luck4Pres

 

Whether we're going more vertical or not, I've never seen Reich's offense as a mirror of Philly's. Reich was with Pederson two years. Before that, he was with Mike McCoy (who has a lot of offensive influences), before that he was with Whisenhunt (a Coryell guy, who has a lot of similar influences as Bruce Arians), and before that, he was with Tom Moore. And of course, his playing career was mostly in the K-gun. 

 

Reich's offense is an amalgam of a lot of different things. I think his approach is to be as multiple as possible, and that will include stretching the field vertically. His Coryell background speaks for itself there, and Campbell has a lot of traits that would fit into a Coryell offense. It's hard not to see Mike Wallace / Santonio Holmes / Antonio Brown (but faster) when watching Campbell. He looks like a Bruce Arians prototype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Reich's offense is an amalgam of a lot of different things. I think his approach is to be as multiple as possible, and that will include stretching the field vertically. His Coryell background speaks for itself there, and Campbell has a lot of traits that would fit into a Coryell offense. It's hard not to see Mike Wallace / Santonio Holmes / Antonio Brown (but faster) when watching Campbell. He looks like a Bruce Arians prototype.

 

Lots of post routes going vertical from the slot/Z type that is off the line of scrimmage making the TE eligible, like the Chargers did with Tyrell Williams, like the crossing routes they did with Keenan Allen and Tyrell Williams etc. is what I expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

 

Urbs O works, so I can't criticize from a game perspective, but we hear often come draft time how hard OSU's WRs are to grade and project. Regarding Parris, it's not so much that his route tree was limited, it was how much it was limited. 

 

Urban liked the JT/Tebow style QB's because that fit his run first/pass option offense, but Haskins completely wiped that scheme away. Day was handed the reigns and the only input from Urban last year was the way they ran the ball, however they couldn't, even with the OL being built to. They were that bad in both run and pass blocking. They were down 1000 yards rushing from 2017 with the transition from Barrett to Haskins.

 

To emphasize more on the bolded, because we haven't had a true passing QB since Troy Smith. Cardale gave us a small sample size, but they ruined it the following year with how they played both him and JT. If Michael Thomas had been able to play with Haskins last year, holy sh, he would have been far and away the best WR on the board. Hopefully now with Day at the helm we'll start seeing more traditional passers who have running ability (Justin Fields is going to fit Days scheme perfect) instead of limited passers who can run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Lots of post routes going vertical from the slot like the Chargers did with Tyrell Williams, the crossing routes they did with Keenan Allen and Tyrell Williams etc. is what I expect.

They will add some deep shots to. CAMPBELL is too fast to only be catching  screens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

The look opposing defenses are going to see: 

 

VnzsLOe.jpg

 

I'm gonna start calling Campbell and Hilton The Afterburners 

 

I'm still calling them Parris Hilton haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that makes me wonder if he cannot take some Z-reps from the start is the fact that Campbell got rave reviews about his routes at the combine. Now they are all reps against air so... take with a grain of salt, but it's possible that he wasn't used to the best of his potential at Ohio State. 

 

The few vertical routes he ran showed off his speed and showed that he tracks the ball well, even over his shoulder... For as fast as he is... he's actually not a small receiver. As ridiculous as it sounds he's closer to the Deebo Samuels than to the Andy Isabellas or Hollywood Browns of the world when it comes to his size. He's a very well put receiver. I wonder how he would do on contested catches. He has both horizontal and vertical athleticism. 

 

I really cannot wait to see how he's going to be used. I'm so excited. Can you imagine Parris/TY/Ebron in a bunched up trips formation with Cain isolated at the X. Oh boy! Pick your poison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stitches said:

The thing that makes me wonder if he cannot take some Z-reps from the start is the fact that Campbell got rave reviews about his routes at the combine. Now they are all reps against air so... take with a grain of salt, but it's possible that he wasn't used to the best of his potential at Ohio State. 

 

The few vertical routes he ran showed off his speed and showed that he tracks the ball well, even over his shoulder... For as fast as he is... he's actually not a small receiver. As ridiculous as it sounds he's closer to the Deebo Samuels than to the Andy Isabellas or Hollywood Browns of the world when it comes to his size. He's a very well put receiver. I wonder how he would do on contested catches. He has both horizontal and vertical athleticism. 

 

I really cannot wait to see how he's going to be used. I'm so excited. Can you imagine Parris/TY/Ebron in a bunched up trips formation with Cain isolated at the X. Oh boy! Pick your poison. 

That's why I swear I saw drool dripping off Frank's chin as Ballard talked about Campbell in the news conf. I'll have to go back and check the film. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

 

I'm still calling them Parris Hilton haha

 

anything other than that is obsurd 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Superman said:

 

Whether we're going more vertical or not, I've never seen Reich's offense as a mirror of Philly's. Reich was with Pederson two years. Before that, he was with Mike McCoy (who has a lot of offensive influences), before that he was with Whisenhunt (a Coryell guy, who has a lot of similar influences as Bruce Arians), and before that, he was with Tom Moore. And of course, his playing career was mostly in the K-gun. 

 

Reich's offense is an amalgam of a lot of different things. I think his approach is to be as multiple as possible, and that will include stretching the field vertically. His Coryell background speaks for itself there, and Campbell has a lot of traits that would fit into a Coryell offense. It's hard not to see Mike Wallace / Santonio Holmes / Antonio Brown (but faster) when watching Campbell. He looks like a Bruce Arians prototype.

Agree. When I was said mirroring Philly, I was responding  to others. Earlier, in maybe this thread, I lined out Reich's career supporting why we won't end up a Philly O. Definitely agree on multiple. We now can stretch vertically and horizontally. Love that the entire field is now in play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...