Spending Unwisely like the Packers

16 years

183 million dollars

That is what the Packers shelled out in free agency for the following:

OT Billy Turner

LB Za'Darius Smith

LB Preston Smith

SS Adrian Amos

3 of the 4 were free agent targets of the Colts.

Did you guys REALLY want to spend that kind of money in free agency this year?

That is 4 players...... For the same cash we could sign 8-10 solid veterans to more modest deals and lets not pretend that Sheard, Simon, Woods, Desir, Hunt have not worked out to varying degrees. 

Let Ballard, Dodds and Hogan do their thing on draft day and sign mid-tier free agents and solid contributors from cut down day like Muhammad, Phillips and Moore II....

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

16 years

183 million dollars

OT Billy Turner

LB Za'Darius Smith

LB Preston Smith

SS Adrian Amos

That is 4 players...... For the same cash we could sign 8-10 solid veterans to more modest deals and lets not pretend that Sheard, Simon, Woods, Desir, Hunt have not worked out to varying degrees. 

Let Ballard, Dodds and Hogan do their thing on draft day and sign mid-tier free agents and solid contributors from cut down day like Muhammad, Phillips and Moore II....

Actually, I don't think the Amos contract was outrageous. In this new world of the growing NFL cap, his contract will look pretty decent in the not too distant future. He's one guy I was really hoping the Colts would sign. 

9 hours ago, runthepost said:

Yea let’s keep targeting mid tier guys that get exposed against the top tier teams in this league. 

Who was exposed? Those defensive lineman maintained a very good run game control all year....and did a decent job pressuring the QB.

It seems as though that you are reacting from an emotional place versus a rational place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Who was exposed? Those defensive lineman maintained a very good run game control all year....and did a decent job pressuring the QB.

It seems as though that you are reacting from an emotional place versus a rational place.

Receivers the whole defense against the chiefs

14 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Receivers the whole defense against the chiefs

Andrew Luck was bad that game too. So was our entire elite offensive line.

In fact, the few players that DID play good, were Ballards FA and draft gems. Autry, Moore, Leonard, heck even Najee Goode made plays that game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

16 years

183 million dollars

OT Billy Turner

LB Za'Darius Smith

LB Preston Smith

SS Adrian Amos

Could is the key in all of this. But at this rate, we aren’t even doing the could. We’re doing the opposite. Nothing. Eric Weddle was available for 2yrs/10.5M. Ijs.

40 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Could is the key in all of this. But at this rate, we aren’t even doing the could. We’re doing the opposite. Nothing. Eric Weddle was available for 2yrs/10.5M. Ijs.

Could = they were in on the bidding and fell short on either money or years. Doesn't mean they are not trying to land these players. And outside of re-signing our own veterans the front office has made it clear that they won't invest in older players.....as is the case with Weddle.

If however we are the proverbial 1 player away, I'm betting they would then.....

This is still ONLY year 3 of the rebuild and even though they exceeded most peoples standards last year there are still haps to fill with young, homegrown players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Could = they were in on the bidding and fell short on either money or years. Doesn't mean they are not trying to land these players. And outside of re-signing our own veterans the front office has made it clear that they won't invest in older players.....as is the case with Weddle.

If however we are the proverbial 1 player away, I'm betting they would then.....

This is still ONLY year 3 of the rebuild and even though they exceeded most peoples standards last year there are still haps to fill with young, homegrown players.

So you are saying sign a guy for the cheap who fits a need once we are 1-2 players away? Im not buying it. Because the money/age of the player isn't the problem. And by the time we sign "our own", we wont have the luxury of keeping all of them so then we are still forced to drink from the well called FA.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

In fact, the few players that DID play good, were Ballards FA and draft gems. Autry, Moore, Leonard, heck even Najee Goode made plays that game.

Ya it was a bad game for most of the team but the reciever's couldn't get separation on the worst secondary in football what does that tell you.

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

So you are saying sign a guy for the cheap who fits a need once we are 1-2 players away? Im not buying it. Because the money/age of the player isn't the problem. And by the time we sign "our own", we wont have the luxury of keeping all of them so then we are still forced to drink from the well called FA.

Well you have your concepts and they have theirs..... If you're a fan you'll just have to learn to accept it I suppose. 

Or...drop your resume and see if Irsay will hire you!

• Like 1

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

Well you have your concepts and they have theirs..... If you're a fan you'll just have to learn to accept it I suppose. 

Or...drop your resume and see if Irsay will hire you!

Ill be sure to ping you for a scouting gig should the opportunity arise! 

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

If they aren't exposed, then how did we get beat? Apparently the Chiefs and Patriots did something to beat us. Can you explain it?

2 minutes ago, aavmarine said:

If they aren't exposed, then how did we get beat? Apparently the Chiefs and Patriots did something to beat us. Can you explain it?

It's easy. We didn't play the Patriots in the playoffs and the Chiefs out-performed, out-coached and out-gameplanned us (especially in that first quarter) and the better team won that day. 

It's not rocket science. 

On 3/12/2019 at 7:23 PM, Scott Pennock said:

16 years

183 million dollars

OT Billy Turner

LB Za'Darius Smith

LB Preston Smith

SS Adrian Amos

I think the only "unwise" spending was Za'Darius...   and while I like the player,  I think he signed for ridiculous money.    The spending on the other Smith and Amos I thought were not unreasonable.

Turner, I'm neither here nor there with.    Is he coming on board as a starter, or back-up?

On 3/13/2019 at 12:24 PM, NorthernBlue said:

And our run game was nonexistent, not because it wasn't there, but because we were down in the count and bailed on the run... That likely won't happen again, ever. 

Packers have been great with their pickups. Amos is going to be a stud for them and his contract is not outrageous like Collins. 

Both Smiths are great additions to that defense too. Excited to see how they do this year. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:24 PM, NorthernBlue said:

It's so easy to watch that game (against KC) and conclude that Luck had a stinker. That game was way more on the receiving corps than Andrew. Our two worst games of the season: JAX & KC, were our worst because the lack of dynamism in that group; they could get no separation. I don't think we can afford to not take a WR w/ one of our first 3 picks (even with Funchess and Cain returning)

I got to the end of this response before realizing that this has nothing to do with this thread :sorry:. Just caught my attention.

3 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

It's so easy to watch that game (against KC) and conclude that Luck had a stinker. That game was way more on the receiving corps than Andrew. Our two worst games of the season: JAX & KC, were our worst because the lack of dynamism in that group; they could get no separation. I don't think we can afford to not take a WR w/ one of our first 3 picks (even with Funchess and Cain returning)

I got to the end of this response before realizing that this has nothing to do with this thread :sorry:. Just caught my attention.

As you said, For the sake of not detailing this thread, I’ll try to keep this short.

But as bad as the recieving core was, Luck was bad too. He had a bad game. Doesn’t matter how bad everyone else was. He was bad too. The L wasn’t his fault, and I know full well that Luck will rebound, but you can’t pin that loss on just 1 unit.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya it was a bad game for most of the team but the reciever's couldn't get separation on the worst secondary in football what does that tell you.

It tells me the gameplan was terrible. Everyone knew the best way to exploit that secondary was across the middle and the seams. We did neither.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, Rackeen305 said:

You are lost sir. It is like you have NEVER seen a team remain competitive for a long period of time.
 This is understandable for novices. It is simple. 
Over time Ballard will build a deep roster. When he anticipates he may lose a player in FA, he will have his replacement on the roster a year ahead of time.
 Or with his 1st couple pics each draft he can add someone he thinks can do the job.  If he is concerned enough he can fill a spot or two with FA.
Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Most of all NOW, our guys need Experience. And we have a slew of Rookies coming this off season that will need motivated and coached up to be our future starters and roll playing depth. 
 We should be really talented and experienced by 2021, and SB contenders for a number of years. Enjoy the Wait ya'll. 

• Thanks 1