Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 WR draft / film notes

• Superman changed the title to 2019 WR draft / film notes
14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm starting this as kind of a catch-all for my WR draft thoughts, since @stitches keeps calling me out... ;) 

Feel free to add your thoughts, whether random or well thought out, or whatever, so we can discuss 2019 draft class wide receivers together.

First up for me: I definitely have Hakeem Butler ahead of DK Metcalf. Metcalf is a raw athlete with inconsistent hands, little understanding of route running and body positioning. While he's super fast and can break tackles, if he's not running past the secondary or breaking short against off coverage, I'm not convinced he can get open in the NFL. He's big and fast and can jump, but I don't see him using those tools to catch the ball at the high point consistently. He does have incredible range once the ball is in the air, and he has a "go get it" mentality, leading to some highlight catches, but mostly against DBs who have no ball instincts (Lonnie Johnson, for instance). He can play, he can definitely run, but he's not a skilled route runner, he's not consistent with his hands, and he doesn't use his body to create separation. He also doesn't have any production. He is the athlete with upside who, IMO, will get overdrafted because of his insane potential, but he has a lot of work to do to live up to that potential.

Hakeem Butler is another athlete with upside. He's not as freakish as Metcalf, not as quick, not as fast in the 40, probably doesn't hit the same top speed either, but still an eye-popping athlete with plenty of explosiveness. More of a long-strider, like Braylon Edwards, with some Josh Gordon to him when the ball is in the air. Similar issues with route running, and creating separation out of breaks; he also is an inconsistent ball catcher, like Metcalf. But I think he's more physical, more imposing, uses his body better, has better awareness for where he is on the field, I think his footwork is better, and his tenacity once he has the ball is unmatched. He has double the production of Metcalf, and fewer injuries in his past.

So my comparison for Metcalf is Cordarrelle Patterson, and my comparison for Butler is Vincent Jackson. Both are promising prospects, but I prefer Butler over Metcalf. 

I finally see that you are seeing what some of us Hakeem Butler fans see. :) 

Butler's insane production of turning long catches into TDs is hard to ignore and a lot of it has to do with his awareness of where he is on the field. His average catch yardage might be in the 20s if he is coached well and gets on the field in the NFL but if we draft Butler, we would also need another WR to move the chains underneath and I wonder if we could re-sign Inman to fit that role at this stage in his career.

@Superman Did you see any issues from Butler in tracking the ball in the air? Or in over the shoulder type of catches? I was so hyped up by his combine testing, but then the on-field drills happened and he couldn't find the ball on multiple occasions to the point where I have decided I need to go back and rewatch his tape to see if this is just about him working with a QB he's never worked with in a weird situation or if this is a more ever-present problem for him. 

I agree with a lot of your assessment of both. I kind of think Metcalf has a bit more ability to separate in the short to intermediate range. He has not run a ton of routes but he has shown suddenness in his breaks even if somewhat inconsistently that IMO projects well going forward as he learns and develops his route tree. (all of this is of course with the disclaimer that he needs to have the work ethic in order to maximize his obvious athletic abilities). 

Also... what round grades do you give Butler and Metcalf right now? 

• Like 1

Thanks @Superman   good breakdown.

A guy I'm just starting to look at is N'Keal Harry because I've seen him mocked to the Colts a couple of times.  And so far I like what I see and I think he could fit in nicely with the Colts.

IMO the Colts have the guy who can take the top off defenses with Hilton, what they are lacking is that guy that can catch that 5 yard slant and pick up a 3rd down, or someone that can consistently win contested catches.  He's not fast or overly quick but he can run the entire route tree and has about the best body control on anyone I have watched so far (although that number is limited).  Paired up with Doyle (assuming he comes back healthy) the Colts will have two reliable targets who can find ways to get open and make the catch to keep drives alive.

I do wonder some about his lack of being a redzone target.  I don't know if that was more a function of AZ State offense or if his lack of suddenness is just more exposed in that part of the field.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

A guy I'm just starting to look at is N'Keal Harry because I've seen him mocked to the Colts a couple of times.  And so far I like what I see and I think he could fit in nicely with the Colts.

IMO the Colts have the guy who can take the top off defenses with Hilton, what they are lacking is that guy that can catch that 5 yard slant and pick up a 3rd down, or someone that can consistently win contested catches.  He's not fast or overly quick but he can run the entire route tree and has about the best body control on anyone I have watched so far (although that number is limited).  Paired up with Doyle (assuming he comes back healthy) the Colts will have two reliable targets who can find ways to get open and make the catch to keep drives alive.

I do wonder some about his lack of being a redzone target.  I don't know if that was more a function of AZ State offense or if his lack of suddenness is just more exposed in that part of the field.

If the underneath contested catch with physicality and good YAC is what you are looking for, A.J.Brown is your guy. He hates the JuJu comparison but that is what he closely resembles.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If the underneath contested catch with physicality and good YAC is what you are looking for, A.J.Brown is your guy. He hates the JuJu comparison but that is what he closely resembles.

Yeah, I've looked a bit at him as well.  I wish I had the time to study these guys as I would like.

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

AJ Brown is one of my favorites, for that reason. Might be my top WR this year...

26 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

N'Keal Harry is one of my favorites, also. He doesn't get good separation, but he does everything else well, and he's good after the catch. Not a burner, but fast enough. And I think he's 10-15 pounds heavier than he should be. Someone else compared him to DeAndre Hopkins -- doesn't get separation, but uses his hands and body so well that he will still make the catch, one of those guys you throw open. My question is whether that's the right kind of receiver for Andrew Luck...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

@Superman Did you see any issues from Butler in tracking the ball in the air? Or in over the shoulder type of catches?

Also... what round grades do you give Butler and Metcalf right now? 

Over the shoulder isn't really his specialty, he'd rather face the ball when it's coming down. But he'll get under it and use his frame to make it a backside catch, which is unguardable with his length and size. He needs refinement tracking the ball for sure.

I think they'll both go in the first round. My projection is tainted by the mocks and chatter, where Metcalf is getting top five buzz, and Butler is top 20, almost across the board. My general grade for both of them is late first, early second. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

AJ Brown is one of my favorites, for that reason. Might be my top WR this year...

N'Keal Harry is one of my favorites, also. He doesn't get good separation, but he does everything else well, and he's good after the catch. Not a burner, but fast enough. And I think he's 10-15 pounds heavier than he should be. Someone else compared him to DeAndre Hopkins -- doesn't get separation, but uses his hands and body so well that he will still make the catch, one of those guys you throw open. My question is whether that's the right kind of receiver for Andrew Luck...

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

32 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Both AJ Brown and N'Keal Harry have been growing on me as I've been watching more games of them. Props to @twfish for pointing out AJ Browns games as an outside receiver. I love this draft in the 2nd-3d rounds for receivers. I think it will be such a waste if we don't get one in that range. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Agree with you fully on Metcalf.  I think his combine performance and physical stature will attract teams, but unless he's running go routes or catching screen passes, I don't know how effective he will be.

His change of direction ability is very poor.  I think he'll be overdrafted by a team because of his height/weight/speed numbers.

• Like 4

@Superman Can I suggest a receiver to watch? Watch Preston Williams from Colorado State(transfer from Tennessee). I've have yet to finish his evaluation but the little I've seen he seems really intriguing to me, also multiple draft analysts seem to think he's a 1st-2nd round level receiver on the field. But his off-the field issues(multiple) and ACL tear from several years ago are likely to drop him to day 3.

He is big, athletic and dynamic after the catch and great in the air for contested catches. Big time red zone target. 

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

@Superman Can I suggest a receiver to watch? Watch Preston Williams from Colorado State(transfer from Tennessee). I've have yet to finish his evaluation but the little I've seen he seems really intriguing to me, also multiple draft analysts seem to think he's a 1st-2nd round level receiver on the field. But his off-the field issues(multiple) and ACL tear from several years ago are likely to drop him to day 3.

He is big, athletic and dynamic after the catch and great in the air for contested catches. Big time red zone target. 

Yeah he's on my list, but I haven't watched him yet, either.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm starting this as kind of a catch-all for my WR draft thoughts, since @stitches keeps calling me out... ;) 

Feel free to add your thoughts, whether random or well thought out, or whatever, so we can discuss 2019 draft class wide receivers together.

First up for me: I definitely have Hakeem Butler ahead of DK Metcalf. Metcalf is a raw athlete with inconsistent hands, little understanding of route running and body positioning. While he's super fast and can break tackles, if he's not running past the secondary or breaking short against off coverage, I'm not convinced he can get open in the NFL. He's big and fast and can jump, but I don't see him using those tools to catch the ball at the high point consistently. He does have incredible range once the ball is in the air, and he has a "go get it" mentality, leading to some highlight catches, but mostly against DBs who have no ball instincts (Lonnie Johnson, for instance). He can play, he can definitely run, but he's not a skilled route runner, he's not consistent with his hands, and he doesn't use his body to create separation. He also doesn't have any production. He is the athlete with upside who, IMO, will get overdrafted because of his insane potential, but he has a lot of work to do to live up to that potential.

Hakeem Butler is another athlete with upside. He's not as freakish as Metcalf, not as quick, not as fast in the 40, probably doesn't hit the same top speed either, but still an eye-popping athlete with plenty of explosiveness. More of a long-strider, like Braylon Edwards, with some Josh Gordon to him when the ball is in the air. Similar issues with route running, and creating separation out of breaks; he also is an inconsistent ball catcher, like Metcalf. But I think he's more physical, more imposing, uses his body better, has better awareness for where he is on the field, I think his footwork is better, and his tenacity once he has the ball is unmatched. He has double the production of Metcalf, and fewer injuries in his past.

So my comparison for Metcalf is Cordarrelle Patterson, and my comparison for Butler is Vincent Jackson. Both are promising prospects, but I prefer Butler over Metcalf. 

Just curious...   no right or wrong answers....   but...

Have you looked at the profiles on NFL.Com done by Lance Zierlein?   I think he’s terrific.    On every player he’ll list roughly a dozen positive qualities and a dozen negative qualities.    Might be interesting to see if your impressions match his views.  

Just a thought...

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just curious...   no right or wrong answers....   but...

Have you looked at the profiles on NFL.Com done by Lance Zierlein?   I think he’s terrific.    On every player he’ll list roughly a dozen positive qualities and a dozen negative qualities.    Might be interesting to see if your impressions match his views.  

Just a thought...

I do look at his notes, I like that he bullet points them, makes it easy to pick out his thoughts. I think we mostly line up on Metcalf and Butler.

• Like 1

My WR ranking goes a little something like this.

A.J Brown

Kelvin Harmon 

N'Keal Harry

J.J Arcega-Whiteside (snatches the ball out of the air like no one I've seen before)

Riley Ridley

David Stills

Jalen Hurd

Hunter Renfrow

I havent really watched Marquis brown so I cant rank him. I dont really want a smaller speedster kind of guy as you can tell with most of the guys I've chosen being taller. If you've read my write up on Metcalf you can tell I'm not a huge fan. I was for sure wrong on the 40 time but the guy has been training for the combine for a while.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Both AJ Brown and N'Keal Harry have been growing on me as I've been watching more games of them. Props to @twfish for pointing out AJ Browns games as an outside receiver. I love this draft in the 2nd-3d rounds for receivers. I think it will be such a waste if we don't get one in that range. 

Couldn’t agree more. I just think that with the 34th pick WR will be BPA. Rather it’s brown, Butler, Campbell etc. It would be nice to add a young difference maker to take some of the pressure off TY his last 3/4 years as a colt. 

3 hours ago, twfish said:

My WR ranking goes a little something like this.

A.J Brown

Kelvin Harmon 

N'Keal Harry

J.J Arcega-Whiteside (snatches the ball out of the air like no one I've seen before)

Riley Ridley

David Stills

Jalen Hurd

Hunter Renfrow

I havent really watched Marquis brown so I cant rank him. I dont really want a smaller speedster kind of guy as you can tell with most of the guys I've chosen being taller. If you've read my write up on Metcalf you can tell I'm not a huge fan. I was for sure wrong on the 40 time but the guy has been training for the combine for a while.

It is surprising to me that Marquis Brown is ranked well above the other WRs on nfl.com - maybe that is the Tyreek Hill factor influencing the NFL. 

There are 3 WRs I love the most for the Colts in the first 2 rounds:

A.J.Brown

Hakeem Butler

JJAW

That is it.

I get so nervous when I think about drafting a WR in the first round.  There are so many out there that are overhyped.  Tall, 6'-4" guys that can't get separation.  Quick guys that can run a 4.28 but have no hands.  Guys that had great production in college, but it was against sub-par defenders, and it turns out that they have no discipline, don't run good routes, or have attitude issues.

I can't help but be reminded of the 2001 draft, when there was a heavily hyped WR out of Miami.  Wow!  He can run!  Wow!  He can catch!  Wow!  He's so full of wow, I can't stand all the wow!  And Santana Moss was drafted 16th overall by the Jets.  But there was another WR at Miami.  A bit overshadowed by all the hype generated by the the first guy.  Not so well noticed.  Not so much.  But he ran disciplined routes.  He could get separation.  He had hands.  And his share of humility.  And the Colts took the other WR out of Miami, Reggie Wayne, with the 30th pick.  And the rest is history.

So, I naturally find myself looking at the guys that are not so hyped, but may have better ability and discipline.  The next guys down.

Riley Ridley

Deebo Samuel

Parris Campbell

Miles Boykin

What do they have to offer?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I get so nervous when I think about drafting a WR in the first round.  There are so many out there that are overhyped.  Tall, 6'-4" guys that can't get separation.  Quick guys that can run a 4.28 but have no hands.  Guys that had great production in college, but it was against sub-par defenders, and it turns out that they have no discipline, don't run good routes, or have attitude issues.

I can't help but be reminded of the 2001 draft, when there was a heavily hyped WR out of Miami.  Wow!  He can run!  Wow!  He can catch!  Wow!  He's so full of wow, I can't stand all the wow!  And Santana Moss was drafted 16th overall by the Jets.  But there was another WR at Miami.  A bit overshadowed by all the hype generated by the the first guy.  Not so well noticed.  Not so much.  But he ran disciplined routes.  He could get separation.  He had hands.  And his share of humility.  And the Colts took the other WR out of Miami, Reggie Wayne, with the 30th pick.  And the rest is history.

So, I naturally find myself looking at the guys that are not so hyped, but may have better ability and discipline.  The next guys down.

Riley Ridley

Deebo Samuel

Parris Campbell

Miles Boykin

Paris Campbell is a sleeper at 34. He's the quintessential "Ballard guy." Hard worker, great locker room presence, and by all accounts a pure leader. Sure he didn't put up the best numbers at Ohio State, but I feel like he could absolutely FEAST here. 

42 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Riley Ridley

Deebo Samuel

Parris Campbell

Miles Boykin

Literally D.K Metcalf vs A.J Brown

• Like 5

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

I finally see that you are seeing what some of us Hakeem Butler fans see. :) 

Butler's insane production of turning long catches into TDs is hard to ignore and a lot of it has to do with his awareness of where he is on the field. His average catch yardage might be in the 20s if he is coached well and gets on the field in the NFL but if we draft Butler, we would also need another WR to move the chains underneath and I wonder if we could re-sign Inman to fit that role at this stage in his career.

I've been a proponent of Butlers but I would still prefer a WR with more of an all around game/technician. If the colts sign humphries then maybe give Butler a look in the 2nd and let him and Cain battle it out.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

Literally D.K Metcalf vs A.J Brown

A.J. Brown is the best receiver in this class bar none IMO. People y’all about YAC and immediately mention Harry but Brown is insane with the ball in his hands after the catch. Possibly better than Harry. However he’s not a blazer and he struggled against press coverage in college. But even if he’s just a slot receiver at the next level (and he’s not IMO) he’s going to be a dominant player. Borderline unstoppable.

However, if Metcalf hits his ceiling you’re talking about the next Julio or Megatron. I see the appeal there. Brown is more pro-ready.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Riley Ridley

Deebo Samuel

Parris Campbell

Miles Boykin

Not that moss would have become Reggie Wayne, but if moss was drafted by the colts he would have had a much more consistent career.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Why would he hate being compared to JuJu?

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

A.J. Brown is the best receiver in this class bar none IMO. People y’all about YAC and immediately mention Harry but Brown is insane with the ball in his hands after the catch. Possibly better than Harry. However he’s not a blazer and he struggled against press coverage in college. But even if he’s just a slot receiver at the next level (and he’s not IMO) he’s going to be a dominant player. Borderline unstoppable.

However, if Metcalf hits his ceiling you’re talking about the next Julio or Megatron. I see the appeal there. Brown is more pro-ready.

When your 3 cone and shuttle times are south of Tom Brady's, I'm not sure your ceiling is JJ or Megatron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

When your 3 cone and shuttle times are south of Tom Brady's, I'm not sure your ceiling is JJ or Megatron.

3 cones and shuttle drills don’t trump tape and explosive speed and leaping ability. He’s not a shifty slot guy. He’ll use his body and speed to separate.

31 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

3 cones and shuttle drills don’t trump tape and explosive speed and leaping ability. He’s not a shifty slot guy. He’ll use his body and speed to separate.

Oh, I thought he was a Wes welker type....

11 hours ago, MPStack said:

I’d like to here you’re take on P. Campbell.

I think he’d be dangerous in Reich’s offense. He turns short passes into long gains and was involved in some nice runs as well.

:woah:

His Michigan game was outrageous. I'm still watching, but he has some good traits. 

Separate but related, this draft is LOADED with good receivers. Seriously, might get potential WR1s in the third round this year. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, twfish said:

Kelvin Harmon 

I love the way Harmon attacks the ball. It's almost like he's offended that the ball isn't already in his hands, and that anyone else would dare even try to make a play on it. He comes back to snatch the ball out of the air, he's good on outside fades, and he has some feisty-ness and physicality to him. That's good because he's not an elite athlete in any respect. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Superman said:

:woah:

His Michigan game was outrageous. I'm still watching, but he has some good traits. 

Separate but related, this draft is LOADED with good receivers. Seriously, might get potential WR1s in the third round this year. 

Been saying it a for a while as well...it is loaded. Like legit starting WRs on half the NFL deep. It might not have the top end talent that 2014 had...but definitely the depth.

Because of this...I am fully on board with a double dip at the position. Give me someone like AJ Brown or Butler...and one of the slot WRs like Isabella. I know we want (and the Colts need) defensive playmakers...but I also think there is a unique opportunity to pick up 2/3 of a starting 3-WR set. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Exodus said:

Paris Campbell is a sleeper at 34. He's the quintessential "Ballard guy." Hard worker, great locker room presence, and by all accounts a pure leader. Sure he didn't put up the best numbers at Ohio State, but I feel like he could absolutely FEAST here. 

After watching every Buckeye game that actually made it to TV in Texas, Campbell is one of my favorites.

He had lower production the first part of his career, until this year because we had a run first QB in Barrett, before this one year with Haskins

We also had 3 very good WRs (all 3 ran in combine) that they spread the ball around, so he wasnt targeted as much as he could have been

He is also built a bit like a RB....... watch his highlights AND his game tape

They both show an excellent player

He has almost no drops, and he seems ready to play the pro game immediatly

His speed is crazy. You cant teach that

If we pick up the big body WR in FA (Williams seems to be the popular choice)

I would go Campbell in round two, but go for him with the second, second pick

I believe Deebo could be another option if Campbell is off the board at 58

The second round should have some excellent picks

If both Deebo and Campbell are gone......  (And we get Williams) I would go Andy Isabella in round 3

• Like 1

With Doyle and Ebron both in contract years, i doubt that we bring both of those guys back. Ebron will be more expensive and this offense needs 2 solid TE's.. It's possible that one of the Iowa TE's will fall to us in the first round. I personally love Hockenson and think he'd be a great fit for our offense. Very good on the receiving end and absolutely blows people up with his run-blocking. Check out his tape, he finishes dude through the whistle just like big Q. TE is such an important piece to Reich's offense. Screw drafting the 12th best defensive linemen if we can get our next Dallas Clark. There will be plenty of receiver depth in the 2nd and maybe 3rd round. 

I haven't seen anyone talk about drafting a TE in the early rounds this year, but i think it's definitely on the radar for the front office with contracts for Doyle/Ebron expiring after this year. 

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I love the way Harmon attacks the ball. It's almost like he's offended that the ball isn't already in his hands, and that anyone else would dare even try to make a play on it. He comes back to snatch the ball out of the air, he's good on outside fades, and he has some feisty-ness and physicality to him. That's good because he's not an elite athlete in any respect. 

Have you watched J.J yet? I cant recall a receiver attack the ball like that. I was disappointed in Harmons R.A.S score so much so that it took him out of #26 consideration for me. I don't believe that score to be a end all be all, but it definitely has an impact and shows itself well. That being said at #34 I'm all in on him as long as we didnt take another wr in the first

1 hour ago, twfish said:

Have you watched J.J yet? I cant recall a receiver attack the ball like that. I was disappointed in Harmons R.A.S score so much so that it took him out of #26 consideration for me. I don't believe that score to be a end all be all, but it definitely has an impact and shows itself well. That being said at #34 I'm all in on him as long as we didnt take another wr in the first

I was never enamored by Harmon and I never saw what most others did. He was pretty much a worse, smaller and less athletic version of Hakeem Butler for me without the YAC ability Butler has. I have about 7-8 receivers ahead of him in this draft. I would pick Metcalf, Butler, Deebo, AJ Brown, Harry, Campbell, JJ Arcega Whiteside, Hollywood Brown if he was healthy... probably even Andy Isabella ... ahead of Harmon. 

BTW... 

Fairly disappointing pro-day for Preston Williams:

D1ArATNX0Acxr7R.png:large

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I was never enamored by Harmon and I never saw what most others did. He was pretty much a worse, smaller and less athletic version of Hakeem Butler for me without the YAC ability Butler has. I have about 7-8 receivers ahead of him in this draft. I would pick Metcalf, Butler, Deebo, AJ Brown, Harry, Campbell, JJ Arcega Whiteside, Hollywood Brown if he was healthy... probably even Andy Isabella ... 

BTW... 

Fairly disappointing pro-day for Preston Williams:

D1ArATNX0Acxr7R.png:large

Is N’Harry even on your draftable list at all?   Surprised not to see his name in your post.

People say he had a very good Combine and answered questions about a perceived weakness....   speed and athketicism.

Your thought?