Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Details on the Glowinski Contract....

NewColtsFan

After last year's rich contracts given to Gs Norwell and Jensen, whom I don't believe have lived up to their contracts, Glow, his agent, and all parties may have detected a softening in this coming market anyway.  Just speculating on why we might think he accepted less than "market".

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

After last year's rich contracts given to Gs Norwell and Jensen, whom I don't believe have lived up to their contracts, Glow, his agent, and all parties may have detected a softening in this coming market anyway.  Just speculating on why we might think he accepted less than "market".

yeah I agree. Granted I think one of them got hurt for a bit this year, neither are/were worth that kind of money and I'm glad Ballard didn't get into a bidding war with anyone for them.  I'd like to know the stats on big price FAs that actually play up to their contract.  I'd say very few.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think it's because he's a starter on a potential SB contender and he is happy being in that position and being a Colt. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

A lot to be said for liking your bosses, your co-workers, where you live, and a winning environment. Happy for him and us.
That was a nice check to catch so he can plant some roots and relax about is near future.

Right - money is only one factor in making decisions.  Guys who base their entire decision on the money miss some really important points.  But sometimes that knowledge only comes with experience.

38 minutes ago, Finball said:

I think that's the largest signing bonus Colts have handed out for a FA since Ballard was hired. Most FAs didn't get any. 

Ebron got a $5M roster bonus. Cash paid in March, just not spread out for those that don't know this.
 Autry got RB of $3.5M and a guaranteed 1st year.
   Being cash rich let's us write those nice cash checks to attract those players that have yet to make much $$$. In CB, Irsay, and our Capologist i Trust.  
  We are Brilliantly positioned to keep and attract the right players. :banana::colts: :applause:

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Very, very good for the Colts.     It appears the agent may have been a bit generous with the first reported 3/18 Mill report.

I'm linking the Spotrac page.     You'll see we signed our guard for 3 years and $16.2 Mill.    That's $5.4 mill per year.     With 4.2 up front as a bonus.

Here's the page.     Just click on the link.    

I know this type of thing doesn't appeal to everyone.....   but it does to some,  so if that's you,  enjoy.    Colts negotiators are really top notch.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/mark-glowinski-16860/

I don't know if Ballard is a master negotiator that use to work for the FBI along with Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey or hes jack bandit  

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Hard to know what his market would look like. This was his "breakout" season...but it was only part of the season and he did have some injuries.

A few months ago he was likely looking at a cheap one-year deal with no guarantee of even making a roster. So to get offered a very solid three-year deal and a great chance to start on an ascending team that you loved playing for...seems like a no-brainer. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't know if Ballard is a master negotiator that use to work for the FBI along with Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey or hes jack bandit  

I don't know what part Ballard plays in contract negotiations.    Wish I did....  (out of curiosity)

But Irsay has had good contract negotiators since I joined on as a fan.   Perhaps longer, I don't know?   Perhaps @Superman would know best?

But we've been out of Bad Contract Hell for as long as I can remember.    And it's so helpful to creating the team you ultimately want.

• Like 1

Maybe, it's his way of saying thank you because the Colts gave him the opportunity to play which led to him becoming a starter.  Some players brought in on a one year contract, does well, and and leave for more money.  I bet Glowinski could've gotten more if he had hit the market but instead paying the Colts back for giving him the chance.

Could Glowinski have tested the FA market and come away with a fatter contract? Probably.  But I think he took what he (and his agent) felt was a fair offer rather than going off to a new situation where there are a lot more unknowns. After dropping down the depth chart and eventually being waived by Seattle, his early career was a pretty bumpy ride. The starting RG roster spot in Indy must look pretty good to him right now, and we're certainly glad to have him. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's a very good point. Something I hadn't even thought of. We saw the huge spike in contracts but saw a dip in production from virtually all of those high priced guys. So it's very possible the market crashed, or at best softened in just one year. Great point by you.

9 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

That's a very good point. Something I hadn't even thought of. We saw the huge spike in contracts but saw a dip in production from virtually all of those high priced guys. So it's very possible the market crashed, or at best softened in just one year. Great point by you.

Thanks, and to a point, both Norwell and Jensesn have the same resume as Glow.  They weren't highly touted coming out of college, but managed to put together some good professional years.  So the market for THOSE TYPES of Gs may have softened. 

I assume most players and agents settle on contracts they think are fairly valued, and don't take less money because of the team or the city.  I don't think its human nature for someone to leave half a million dollars on the table, maybe even more as has been suggested, just to play somewhere.  I think players still look at teams as business decisions where playing with a successful team also means the player assumes he will also have success, and thereby not get cut in the middle of the contract allowing him to earn his full deal.  So while the success of a team matters, I think its about how that success impacts his ability to earn money, not because of more intangible emotional things.   In that sense, Glow isn't thinking he gave the Colts a discount or is the product of masterful negotiations, he's simply maximizing his earnings capacity over the next three years by getting fair deal with a successful team.  JMO.

I could see Norwell and/or Jensen possibly being cap casualties because of not living up to their contracts, so how much money will they really earn over three years?

9 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

It's impossible to know what the market will be until free agency begins 

On 2/8/2019 at 11:16 AM, CR91 said:

I know that Ballard is about fairness and value.  If Colts aren't fair, the word spreads and desirable FA's may well decline offers to interview and to play in Indy. 

For the most part, I expect Chris Ballard and Mike Bluem (also the capologist) to spearhead the player contract negotiations.  They have to do so from the aspect of signing bonus, roster bonus, option bonus, base salary, and incentives (LTBE and NLTBE). All the while digesting the impact of such a contract on both Cap (LTBE counts against CAP, NLTBE does not) and Cash (very real!).

Irsay may have a say (notably controversial additions). Quite possibly Ed Dodds and Rex Hogan may have an ability to chime in, not sure.  In the end the responsibility falls on Chris Ballard, whether he engineered the structure or not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Thanks, and to a point, both Norwell and Jensesn have the same resume as Glow.  They weren't highly touted coming out of college, but managed to put together some good professional years.  So the market for THOSE TYPES of Gs may have softened. 

I could see Norwell and/or Jensen possibly being cap casualties because of not living up to their contracts, so how much money will they really earn over three years?

Jensen is similar, other than being a C. Norwell started from day one and was good from day one and ascended to a great player. Glow wasn't good, was cut and then became really good in his final year.

Norwell has already made almost as much as Glowinski will make over the life of his deal. And 41.5 M over three years. 32M for Jensen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

I assume most players and agents settle on contracts they think are fairly valued, and don't take less money because of the team or the city.  I don't think its human nature for someone to leave half a million dollars on the table, maybe even more as has been suggested, just to play somewhere.  I think players still look at teams as business decisions where playing with a successful team also means the player assumes he will also have success, and thereby not get cut in the middle of the contract allowing him to earn his full deal.  So while the success of a team matters, I think its about how that success impacts his ability to earn money, not because of more intangible emotional things.   In that sense, Glow isn't thinking he gave the Colts a discount or is the product of masterful negotiations, he's simply maximizing his earnings capacity over the next three years by getting fair deal with a successful team.  JMO.

Comparing Norwell and Jensen with Glowinski is NOT an apples to apples comparison.

The first two put together two or more full seasons of top quality play.    Glows year is basically 9 games.     That's not the same.

Neither Norwell or Jensen will be cap casualties this year.   The Dead Cap Money hit to their teams would be astronomical.    Way too expensive.   Both should be with their teams for at least 3 seasons.    Typically at that point contracts change and there is an opportunity for a team to get out of a bad deal with less financial damage.   Or a team and the player can agree to renegotiate up or down.    But on 4 and 5 year deals,  the two sides are typically married for 3 seasons.  

23 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

I'm not savvy when it comes to the NCF, would the 18 number possibly include incentives? Or is the max the 16.2?

Sorry it took me so long to respond.   I'm VERY under-the-weather here,  and way off my game.   First chance to come up for air.

Yes,  you're right.   And it's my bad for not including the possible bonuses into the projection.

It appears Glow has 3 possible bonuses of up to $500k each.   So, $1.5 Mill total.     Add that to the $16.2  and his number could grow to $17.7.     Round up and you get $18 Mill.   

Very nice catch by you, Pilgrim!     Appreicate you spotting that and pointing it out!   Tip of my cap to you!       :hat:

On 2/9/2019 at 7:50 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry it took me so long to respond.   I'm VERY under-the-weather here,  and way off my game.   First chance to come up for air.

Yes,  you're right.   And it's my bad for not including the possible bonuses into the projection.

It appears Glow has 3 possible bonuses of up to $500k each.   So, $1.5 Mill total.     Add that to the $16.2  and his number could grow to $17.7.     Round up and you get $18 Mill.   

Very nice catch by you, Pilgrim!     Appreicate you spotting that and pointing it out!   Tip of my cap to you!       :hat:

I love contracts that have incentives added in that ensure a player if you’re good and play well, you get all the money you deserved. Having these contracts that give players enormous guarantees have watered down the play a bit as what’s the incentive to keep working at the 110% level I did before signing the 80 million dollar, 45 million guaranteed? If the player is cut, he won’t have 80 million to live on but 45 ain’t too shabby. I’d like to see all players across the board, especially rookies, have player incentives that truly reward for outstanding playtime. It’s hard watching guys like Trent Richardson types who made big money and was absolutely horrific and get outplayed by a kid making 1/5 of what he did.