Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have fired OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo

MTC

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Entertaining your comment.

Would that be Reich or Ballard?  It sounds like Ballard hired him and Reich fired him (or had him fired), just based upon the info said in this thread.

Is there a way we can blame Chuck Pagano?

Just thought I'd ask................

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The move will make sense IF Reich hires someone right away -- this week.    The person would either (A) already have a relationship with Frank, so there's a connection, or (B) it's someone with a top reputation.    Then things start adding up and making sense.

But.....

If we turn around and now start interviewing candidates and show we don't have someone in mind and we're just searching around, then this story will have legs and won't go away quickly.

I'm impressed that we're taking the high road and telling other teams that Coach D has not been let go due to performance,   I think that's a classy move.

Hope this works out for all parties involved....

I often wonder what would be the motivation for an assistant coach to take a lateral.  Its easy to say more money, but hiring LB coach Eberflus to be a DC is a natural transition, but I can't say the same for an OL coach who may currently hold the same position with another team.

College maybe?

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no idea --- none --- why you're still clinging to the Simon and Anderson stories.    Ballard was right to make both moves,  and this season backs that up.

If we gave away Henry Anderson for peanuts,  then maybe he's not as good as many here think?   Do you think we turned down a 6 so we can do a deal for a 7?     Of course not.    So, if all we got was a 7,  then that was his market.     Any other team could've had Henry for more.    No one did.

What does that tell you?

Neither was a scheme fit anymore.   Good luck to them where they are.

What I gathered from his post is that this, those 2 moves seemed shocking and didn't make sense initially, but in the long run, we saw that they were the right moves to make. He thinks this one is in that same light and he just trusts our staff to make the right decisions.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no idea --- none --- why you're still clinging to the Simon and Anderson stories.    Ballard was right to make both moves,  and this season backs that up.

If we gave away Henry Anderson for peanuts,  then maybe he's not as good as many here think?   Do you think we turned down a 6 so we can do a deal for a 7?     Of course not.    So, if all we got was a 7,  then that was his market.     Any other team could've had Henry for more.    No one did.

What does that tell you?

Neither was a scheme fit anymore.   Good luck to them where they are.

I think you misunderstood me bud. I AGREE with both moves, i was just referring to how people reacted when they happened at that time. I'm not upset or dont disagree with either move in the slightest. There were just people here that DIDN'T trust the staff in both cases, and it turns out they, the staff, were right.

3 minutes ago, Shepman said:

So I was at training Camp and saw first hand how he degraded the players.  That was in public imagine behind closes doors.  He was not the "Teacher" that Ballard and and Reich wanted to build their Culture around. Pretty plain and simple to me.  

I do think this had some to do with it. His hard nosed style did not fit the culture Reich wants to build. Though the results were nice. If we fall back into the middle of the pack next year up front I’m gonna be pretty sad. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I often wonder what would be the motivation for an assistant coach to take a lateral.  Its easy to say more money, but hiring LB coach Eberflus to be a DC is a natural transition, but I can't say the same for an OL coach who may currently hold the same position with another team.

College maybe?

Or the chance to be on a successful team and gain notice and traction for promotions.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

I must have missed this. What is the “Denzelle Good Situation” people are referring to?

Basically Good said DeGuglielmo didn't want him on the team because he wasn't giving full effort after his brother died.

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I do think this had some to do with it. His hard nosed style did not fit the culture Reich wants to build. Though the results were nice. If we fall back into the middle of the pack next year up front I’m gonna be pretty sad. 

It makes you wonder if the mean/nasty reputation that the line had this year was in part due to the coaching style he used. I'm in agreement that if the line takes a step backwards next year, I will be disappointed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

I must have missed this. What is the “Denzelle Good Situation” people are referring to?

Good had an issue with the Oline coach, allegedly telling him that he would never play for the Colts as long as he was coaching.  This was in the aftermath of Good's brother being killed.

6 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Ok, I need more in depth info from you Superman. How can they 

play better? 

You can do better than that reply. :thmup: You are one of the more 

knowledgeable posters and we deserve better than this reply. haha

I thought it kind of went without saying. The OL made great progress this season, but there was plenty of room for improvement. Our All Pro rookie LG had several penalties, the right side of the line isn't great, and there were several games where we couldn't produce in the run game.

I'm not complaining about the OL, but there's no doubt they can play better. Don't let "good" be the enemy of "great."

• Like 4

He was not a fit here. There are too many reports out there how aggressive he was in his coaching. The report of Good was not a good look for a locker room that is working hard to be great. He didn't blame the Colts, he solely blamed this guy for being a butt to him after his brother died. 

This unit was night and day better for a number of reasons. This guy is likely pretty far down on the list of why. 

1. Better scheme under Reich

2. Adding Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith

3. Veteran leadership from Slauson

4. Glowinski pickup

5. Healthiest and most consistent line we have had in years. 

6. This guy

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

His hard nosed style should not be the only reason but then, we live during "wimpy reactionary" times where even a beration is looked at like you got violated or something. Not everyone can be like Dungy. :scratch:

3 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Good had an issue with the Oline coach, allegedly telling him that he would never play for the Colts as long as he was coaching.  This was in the aftermath of Good's brother being killed.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c3e0e98783230562e

Yeeeeeesssssss! Finally got to use this gif in context!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

His hard nosed style should not be the only reason but then, we live during "wimpy reactionary" times where even a beration is looked at like you got violated or something. 

From everything I read, Eberflus is pretty hard nosed too. Calling guys out as "loafs" in film. I don't think that was the issue with this guy. There'a difference between being hard nosed and a butt.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

good made some comments about dave after he was released.  he felt like dave didnt give him enough time after his brother died, and they were trying to force him back on the field

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not willing to assume it's due to the Good situation. I mean, Reich and Ballard agreed to release Good, and he wasn't very good anyway.

Occam's razor: The simplest answer is Reich didn't hire Gugs, they have some fundamental differences in approach, and Reich wants his own guy. 

I don't think there's any question that the OL can play better.

Although I disagree with you (I think it did stem directly from the Good situation), I just gotta give love to someone who uses Occam's Razor.  Props!

15 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

I think you misunderstood me bud. I AGREE with both moves, i was just referring to how people reacted when they happened at that time. I'm not upset or dont disagree with either move in the slightest. There were just people here that DIDN'T trust the staff in both cases, and it turns out they, the staff, were right.

I did misunderstand you.     Another poster wisely pointed it out.     I've deleted my post and posted an apology to you.      My bad.    A poor read by me.     Sorry.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I thought it kind of went without saying. The OL made great progress this season, but there was plenty of room for improvement. Our All Pro rookie LG had several penalties, the right side of the line isn't great, and there were several games where we couldn't produce in the run game.

I'm not complaining about the OL, but there's no doubt they can play better. Don't let "good" be the enemy of "great."

They definitely got stymied in a few

games this year.

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

While I don’t think this has to do with the Denzel Good story, I think that story gives some context. Its probably that the coaching style of Dave didn’t mesh well with what Frank envisions for his staff. He wants his own guy that does things the Reich way. Ballard wanted to honor all the McDaniels hires out of respect, so he gave them all the benefit of the doubt but he gave Reich the freedom to do what he wants after the season. That’s fair on both sides

Yeah, this would be my bet. Nothing scandalous, just Reich and Gugs not meshing very well, possibly in the ways of both personality/coaching style and OL scheme.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

His hard nosed style should not be the only reason but then, we live during "wimpy reactionary" times where even a beration is looked at like you got violated or something. Not everyone can be like Dungy. :scratch:

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

From everything I read, Eberflus is pretty hard nosed too. Calling guys out as "loafs" in film. I don't think that was the issue with this guy. There'a difference between being hard nosed and a butt.

Yeah, I was trying to be diplomatic. He’s not just hard nosed, he’s an overbearing Richard. It does remind me of a story some friends of mine who went to camp told me. They were running some drills and someone did something to irk him and he went over and just unloaded on the guy. Said it was explicitive filled, dressing him down not just as a player but personally as well. Reich was in the area and he did look over at the situation with raised eyebrows but didn’t come over and address it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

After seeing the way the oline played against KC I say good ridence. Frank will get his own guy and that is very important.

I won’t be suprised if frank eventually gets his own d and o coordinator also if things don’t improve a ton next year.

Sirianni IS Frank's own ()-coordinator.    They were both on the coaching staff in San Diego.   Frank hired him. 

And remember, Eberflus did such a good job in his first year,  that he got HC job interviews.    He's not going anywhere.......   until he wants to.    

• Like 1

As others have mentioned, crediting Dave with the success of the line is silly. The ball comes out a lot faster in this scheme. Not to mention that Nelson was everything he was hyped to be. He would have been successful anywhere as he was truly one of those once in a generation prospects.

Also I agree that Glowinski is a tad bit overrated. He’s the product of playing with high level players in Castonzo, Nelson, and Kelly. Smith also performed well too. I’d keep him but he’s not this gem that Ballard unearthed and then Dave polished up. 

39 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Why would they fire him this offensive line just went from worst to 1st that is stupid.

Like they work with him everyday in their Profession. 
Maybe let it breath a little huh!
Speculation will leak out and you can believe what you wish.

I would be interested about any thing specific you saw that you thought he wasn't teaching, or his game planning weaknesses. His job stuff.

9 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Although I disagree with you (I think it did stem directly from the Good situation), I just gotta give love to someone who uses Occam's Razor.  Props!

I'm not excluding the Good situation; it might be the ultimate example of why Gugs and Reich didn't mesh well. I'm just saying I don't want to assume that's the only reason for this move.

And thanks for the props.