Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have fired OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo

MTC

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They should ask Matt Slauson to retire and turn around and coach.

I just signed in to say the same thing. He obviously had an effect on the line, and Big Q seems to take to him really well. If he wants that position, I say absolutely let him have it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Exodus said:

You was hanging oot on the Colts forum with ur pels the other dddaaaaaaayyuyyyy

It’s impolite to kiss and tell. 

Which is is probably why we’ll never know the real story behind what went on. 

And this whole sub-thread going on here is...

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c3e0e98783230562e

Broncos, yeah Broncos, had a remarkable improvement on their OL, and this guy Chris Strausser, is someone I would like. The Broncos played a similar style of blocking as we do, just with a much inferior QB:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Browns-interest-Chris-Strausser-offensive-line-coach-127755262/

You can look up the OL rankings here on football outsiders:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Now that Mike Munchak was hired as OL coach with the Broncos, this guy Chris Strausser would be a good hire, IMO. 

I am not sure about the Ravens' OL blocking style but this one has a good resume too:

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/coaches-roster/richard-angulo

31 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

I think you misunderstood me bud. I AGREE with both moves, i was just referring to how people reacted when they happened at that time. I'm not upset or dont disagree with either move in the slightest. There were just people here that DIDN'T trust the staff in both cases, and it turns out they, the staff, were right.

You say staff.
 Don't you think Ballard can watch a tape, has a set of standards, height, wt, speed, athleticism and medicals in Henry's case, to determine whether they fit what he has developed as his belief system, what he is looking for to build the 4-3 system he believes in? He has talked about it, so i do think he can, does. So they were out!
 We can believe he and Flus have talked long and hard about what attributes the system needs, but i don't believe Flus could have fought for those 2 and convinced CB. Pure speculation of course.  
I do wonder how Basham failed so quickly.

On 1/15/2019 at 12:14 PM, NorthernBlue said:

So McDaniels hired him, a noted 'tough guy', or as some here have called him, a 'butt', to go along with hiring Eberflus, whom while I love, is also a bit of a yeller...

What kind of totalitarian coaching staff was that dude trying to make? REAL glad we ended up with Reich.

Best of luck to DD though. While I think the Oline performance was more the talent and scheme, 18 sacks is nothing to scoff at and he deserves credit. 

With Gug, McBarf had a guy who could help teach his system immediately.
Fast results on that, but doing it the right way? Doesn't look like it.

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

This has the makings of a clash with him and players or coaches. The Good incident seems plausible too

58 minutes ago, Shepman said:

So I was at training Camp and saw first hand how he degraded the players.  That was in public imagine behind closed doors.  He was not the "Teacher" that Ballard and and Reich wanted to build their Culture around. Pretty plain and simple to me.  

46 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He was not a fit here. There are too many reports out there how aggressive he was in his coaching. The report of Good was not a good look for a locker room that is working hard to be great. He didn't blame the Colts, he solely blamed this guy for being a butt to him after his brother died. 

This unit was night and day better for a number of reasons. This guy is likely pretty far down on the list of why. 

1. Better scheme under Reich

2. Adding Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith

3. Veteran leadership from Slauson

4. Glowinski pickup

5. Healthiest and most consistent line we have had in years. 

6. This guy

I think that Ballard probably had thoughts of him not fitting for some time. I don't think this just came up. It's likely to me that Ballards culture efforts clashed with the way he handles players, Good situation may have been a painful point. In the end, I think it was the way he handled personnel over all...both on the field, and off. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

While I don’t think this has to do with the Denzel Good story, I think that story gives some context. Its probably that the coaching style of Dave didn’t mesh well with what Frank envisions for his staff. He wants his own guy that does things the Reich way. Ballard wanted to honor all the McDaniels hires out of respect, so he gave them all the benefit of the doubt but he gave Reich the freedom to do what he wants after the season. That’s fair on both sides

There's the wrong way... and then there's the Reich way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Yeah, I was trying to be diplomatic. He’s not just hard nosed, he’s an overbearing Richard. It does remind me of a story some friends of mine who went to camp told me. They were running some drills and someone did something to irk him and he went over and just unloaded on the guy. Said it was explicitive filled, dressing him down not just as a player but personally as well. Reich was in the area and he did look over at the situation with raised eyebrows but didn’t come over and address it. 

I think you just foreshadowed within a single post. 

Frank knew that addressing it in that moment in training camp could have implications throughout the season. Sometimes it is better to take note, and deal with it later, than to create problems at the very beginning. 

I said it earlier, it wasn't just Denzell Good that had issues with this guy. There was a pattern of behavior and his character seems to be out of place with the rest of the organization. Good riddance. What qualified line coach wouldn't want to coach this group?

After reading the Good story, I suspected this might happen.  The family Ballard talks about building?  You can't have that crap going on, and with a self-motivated leader like Nelson, this O-line doesn't need that type of coach.  

10 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Maybe he simply got fired because of the bedcrapping the offensive line put on 3 days ago?

In that case we need a whole new offsense and coaching staff. 

One game does not negate the body of work that included making the worst line in the league a year ago into the best this season. 

Come on folks, this isn’t hard. 

• Thanks 3

The thing about the Good story - he may not have gone to anyone with it.  He may not have gone to Ballard.  Possibly, he only asked for his release, then vented later.  Generally speaking, it might have been news to the organization as well.

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Screw it, what’s Howard Mudd up to?

can't argue with success, but Chappy on DD today said mudd was loud and all over players and in their grills , and if he didn't like you, he would not relent.  we are in a "kinder and gentler" league now apparently. 

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

In that case we need a whole new offsense and coaching staff. 

One game does not negate the body of work that included making the worst line in the league a year ago into the best this season. 

Come on folks, this isn’t hard. 

Ballard stressed this point in his presser. Someone asked if the KC game highlighted what the needs of this team are. That bolded remark was pretty well exactly what he responded with. We played bad and kansas city played really well Saturday. You can't evaluate this team from that game... at all. Andrew Luck had an awful year, if that's the case. O-line is no better than it was. Defense can't stop the run. Vinny can't make a fieldgoal. Reich sucks as a playcaller. See how stupid that is to evaluate a season's work in one game?

I also liked how Ballard is allowing everyone a few weeks off before evaluations start. Cannot go straight from a season-ender to the evaluation process. I loved that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ukcolt12 said:

Tbh sounds like the guy was a d*ck

And like others have commented there were probably more contributing factors to the o lines' success. Notably player talent level, scheme design etc.

probably the case.... as i recall, people were surprised about the hire, so apart from the success, not surprised about the fire (can't recall exactly but his personality is, let's just say, a bit quirky)

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

So then it was on Reich that Smith was on an island against Ford. Just not a great game from Reich all around.

We left Ford completely unblocked on some of those dive plays, which I didn't understand.

But just like everything else, it doesn't come down to one person. The OL/protection plans were a major collaboration, so it's not just Reich's fault, nor is it just Gugs' fault.

• Like 1