Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Hall of fame

I’ve argued with folk over this since he arrived at the Colts. He is definitely at that level, he’s just had a nightmare, with injury and a front line that just couldn’t protect him. Now that has changed, he is proving that he is elite. Hopefully keeping this team together and staying injury free, he will continue this form and win at least one Super Bowl and then stroll on into Canton.

9 hours ago, Myles said:

Be one of the top 2-3 QB's in the league and win a Superbowl.

I'm one that doesn't think Rivers should be in the HOF.    He's never been a top 2-3 QB in any of his seasons.   Maybe not even 4-5.

Totally agree, can’t believe how many presenters I’ve heard talking him up for it. What’s he actually done that qualifies him for this lofty status, just don’t see it?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

What do you guys think Luck would have to do the next five years or so to get in the hall of fame? 

he needs at least one or two mvps  break some kind of record and have at least 30 plus tds and 4000 plus yards a season and be considered a top one or two QB in the league .   people are calling rivers a hall of famer and dan marino got in without a ring

15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Totally agree, can’t believe how many presenters I’ve heard talking him up for it. What’s he actually done that qualifies him for this lofty status, just don’t see it?

It's all his career stats in a pass friendly time of the NFL.  He's always like the 6th to 8th best QB each year.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's all his career stats in a pass friendly time of the NFL.  He's always like the 6th to 8th best QB each year.  

Yup, waiting to see when his big choke moment comes in the playoffs. Obviously biased as a Colts fan, but I’d take Luck over him every time without hesitation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

When it's all said and done with Luck, he's better in just about every category compared to HOF QB's W. Moon and K. Warner. Minus Warner's SB (1-1)

• Like 1

If he can remain healthy for another 10 years and gets a super bowl, some MVPs under his belt, absolutely.  Those are a couple huge IFs though. 

I feel if he can remain healthy under this offense and they continue to get better 4k + yards and around 40 TDs will be a very common theme.  He's already accomplished that twice in his career.  The 4000+ yards seems to usually be a piece of cake for him.  

51 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

If he can remain healthy for another 10 years and gets a super bowl, some MVPs under his belt, absolutely.  Those are a couple huge IFs though. 

I feel if he can remain healthy under this offense and they continue to get better 4k + yards and around 40 TDs will be a very common theme.  He's already accomplished that twice in his career.  The 4000+ yards seems to usually be a piece of cake for him.  

Luck does not have to win a super bowl to get into the HOF.

Marino, Kelly, Tarkington and Moon are just the ones off the top of my head who didn't.

Just saying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

If he can remain healthy for another 10 years

Just for conversation, not directing anything at you, just wanted to comment on this line.

I'm still not sure Luck will be a football lifer. I don't see him sticking around till 40 like Peyton/Brady/Brees. There's always this vision I have of him being the type of guy who'll play till about 35 then go do something a smart Stanford guy would do. Design bridges or something with literature.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

Just for conversation, not directing anything at you, just wanted to comment on this line.

I'm still not sure Luck will be a football lifer. I don't see him sticking around till 40 like Peyton/Brady/Brees. There's always this vision I have of him being the type of guy who'll play till about 35 then go do something a smart Stanford guy would do. Design bridges or something with literature.

I think you are right.  

I remember reading an article about his rookie year where a vet saw him reading a book before practice and went to see what it was and it was on diffeeent kinds of mortar for cement etc.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IinD said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all. I could see that happening.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IinD said:

I’ve thought about this too, especially since his dad Oliver left football only after 5 years, and has had a successful career since. Of course he wasn’t as talented as Andrew and was a backup QB before he retired. Maybe Andrew will do a stint in the XFL before he’s done with football, since his dad is the CEO? Doubt it, but would be interesting.

54 minutes ago, IinD said:

As long as he keeps winning I don't care what he does 

47 minutes ago, HOZER said:

I’ve thought about this too, especially since his dad Oliver left football only after 5 years, and has had a successful career since. Of course he wasn’t as talented as Andrew and was a backup QB before he retired. Maybe Andrew will do a stint in the XFL before he’s done with football, since his dad is the CEO? Doubt it, but would be interesting.

Good points on his dad's success and drive in general.

You can definitely see him being hugely successful after football. I'm also sure he's well aware of the past guys getting out of football battered. He's been injured so he'll walk away before it gets too bad I feel. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MPStack said:

When it's all said and done with Luck, he's better in just about every category compared to HOF QB's W. Moon and K. Warner. Minus Warner's SB (1-1)

I don't think they should use comparisons like that as criteria.   Different style of league. 

I think Luck will get in if he plays at this level for 5 more years because in the years he has played, he's been one of the top 3 QB's in the league. 

Rivers is 6th all time in TD's, 8th all time in passing yards and I still don't think he should be in.   I think the biggest criteria should be how you stacked up against other QB's at the time you played.   That way it is a much more even comparison.   

• Like 1

I personally don’t see Luck making the HOF.  He is one of my favorite players but doesn’t get the coverage needed.  The media is always picking someone else to be the next darling of the NFL and Luck flies under the radar. However, to answer the question he would need to win an MVP or two and a couple SBs.  Just like he got snubbed from the Pro Bowl the same will happen with the HOF.  Doesn’t mean he won’t deserve it but people are Colts haters. 

25 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I personally don’t see Luck making the HOF.  He is one of my favorite players but doesn’t get the coverage needed.  The media is always picking someone else to be the next darling of the NFL and Luck flies under the radar. However, to answer the question he would need to win an MVP or two and a couple SBs.  Just like he got snubbed from the Pro Bowl the same will happen with the HOF.  Doesn’t mean he won’t deserve it but people are Colts haters. 

I don't agree.   I think he gets nearly the appropriate amount of coverage.   Everytime a sports show talks about the Colts it is Luck focused.   Luck isn't going to say things to get the media excited, so he doesn't provide "click bait".   Right now, he just needs to win a Superbowl.   That would get enough attention.   Or if he has 5 years of being on of the top 3-4 in the league.  

20 hours ago, IinD said:

There's always this vision I have of him being the type of guy who'll play till about 35 then go do something a smart Stanford guy would do.

20 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think you are right.

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all. I could see that happening.

20 hours ago, HOZER said:

I’ve thought about this too, especially since his dad Oliver left football only after 5 years, and has had a successful career since.

Andrew also seems like the kind of guy that doesn't want to let people down.

I think I remember him saying that was part of the reason he played while injured instead of taking himself out and getting the proper treatment and going through the rehab process like he should have.

I can see him playing as long as he feels capable and feels like this team can compete for a Super Bowl.  I don't think he would want to let down his teammates, coaches, Ballard, Irsay, fans, etc. by retiring "early".

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Andrew also seems like the kind of guy that doesn't want to let people down.

I think I remember him saying that was part of the reason he played while injured instead of taking himself out and getting the proper treatment and going through the rehab process like he should have.

I can see him playing as long as he feels capable and feels like this team can compete for a Super Bowl.  I don't think he would want to let down his teammates, coaches, Ballard, Irsay, fans, etc. by retiring "early".

Retirement can be various ages when it comes to pro athletes.

Health, family and personal goals plays a part too.

Without knowing Luck on a personal level it's a guess as to how long he will play.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Luck does not have to win a super bowl to get into the HOF.

Marino, Kelly, Tarkington and Moon are just the ones off the top of my head who didn't.

Just saying.

I think he could as well based of sheer stats, if he throws 4K yards and 40 TDs fairly consistently I’m sure he’ll get in just statistically.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, IinD said:

I could see that but it wouldn’t shock me by any chance if he plays until 40.  Hopefully, if he does move on in 5-6 years or so, he will do so with a ring :)!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I think he could as well based of sheer stats, if he throws 4K yards and 40 TDs fairly consistently I’m sure he’ll get in just statistically.  

In the current NFL of pass happy QB's, Luck stats may not look much better than Rivers and others (although it is obvious he is better), I don't know that stats are going to set him apart.   If he retires at 34, he probably won't make it.

I think he may retire a little earlier than the Manning and Brady type guys.   I don't think he will if the Colts are still competitive though.   As long as Ballard surrounds him with protection and a winning team, he will play.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

I think if Dan Fouts got in the HOF I would think Luck would as long as his health holds out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

In the current NFL of pass happy QB's, Luck stats may not look much better than Rivers and others (although it is obvious he is better), I don't know that stats are going to set him apart.   If he retires at 34, he probably won't make it.

I think he may retire a little earlier than the Manning and Brady type guys.   I don't think he will if the Colts are still competitive though.   As long as Ballard surrounds him with protection and a winning team, he will play.

I think he's got his work cut out for him...both statistically and in the playoffs. There are a lot of very good - great QBs in this era. Hopefully this is the start of an amazing 7+ year run

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 11:32 AM, Myles said:

Be one of the top 2-3 QB's in the league and win a Superbowl.

I'm one that doesn't think Rivers should be in the HOF.    He's never been a top 2-3 QB in any of his seasons.   Maybe not even 4-5.

I don't really like that argument. I mean, how often have Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger been the top 3 QBs in the league any given year? Considering the prevalence of Rodgers, Brady, and Manning throughout most of their careers, I'm not really sure. Yet no one is arguing against either of those two from being Canton locks. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think he's got his work cut out for him...both statistically and in the playoffs. There are a lot of very good - great QBs in this era. Hopefully this is the start of an amazing 7+ year run

No one can overlook what he did in his first three years.

Take his injury time away and he has been elite most all of the time he has been on the field.

7 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I don't really like that argument. I mean, how often have Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger been the top 3 QBs in the league any given year? Considering the prevalence of Rodgers, Brady, and Manning throughout most of their careers, I'm not really sure. Yet no one is arguing against either of those two from being Canton locks. 

I think Brees has been a top 3 in most of his years.   Top 4 for certain in most.   Ben has been in the Rivers range most years, but the Superbowls will get him in.  

I've just never been a fan of players who have played a long time as an above average player getting into the HOF.   At least not without Championships.   Don't get me wrong, Rivers is a very good QB.  

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

I've just never been a fan of players who have played a long time as an above average player getting into the HOF.   At least not without Championships.   Don't get me wrong, Rivers is a very good QB.  

Sounds exactly like W. Moon.

I think Rivers is better than Moon and deserves to be in the HOF when eligible.

A Championship shouldn't be a requirement for the HOF, because it is extremely hard to get to.

19 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Sounds exactly like W. Moon.

I think Rivers is better than Moon and deserves to be in the HOF when eligible.

A Championship shouldn't be a requirement for the HOF, because it is extremely hard to get to.

I agree that a Championship shouldn't be a requirement.   But if you don't have one, you should at least have been a top 3-4 player in most years you played.   Otherwise you belong in the Hall of Pretty Good. 

• Like 1

When I watch Andrew Luck, the thing that sticks out to me most is how much the guy loves to play football. I dont think for one second he wont want to play as long as he feels like he can handle it physically and still be a great player. He can design bridges or stadiums or whatever, after that.

If we can maintain this elite line play, they can extend his career and keep him healthy for 10 more years, clearly the law of averages works against that. All we can do is wait and see.

I think Andrew Luck will absolutely wind up in the HOF, barring another severe injury. He is too good not to have many more great seasons ahead, and it looks like hes got some serious help right now.