Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mack Attack

Malakai432

The Colts this year ran for about 100 yards less than the Steelers did last year with Bell, plus Hines as a rookie did a great job as a receiver and should get even better. With that the Colts don't need Bell, as long as our line plays like this our running game will be just fine.

• Like 4

He had a very good year

I would like to see him utilized a bit more as a receiver

He has improved as a blocker as well. 

I do believe that we need to compliment him with a bigger RB (220lbs ish)

Lastly

I was happy that they gave Wilkins a few plays as well. 

I would like to see him get more carries

The RB position doesnt look near as thin as it did earlier in the year

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, Mack was great this year!

Obviously, I'd expect us to at least kick the tires on Bell if he really wants to come here, but with how well our line is playing, there is absolutely no need to pay Bell what he was asking the Steelers to.

With Mack and Hines, though, I like our RB stable.  It was good seeing Wilkins come in and run hard last night as well.

• Like 1

I like Marlon Mack (as well as Hines and Wilkins) and am hopeful that our ground game has improved and will continue to improve.

But we still only ranked 20th in rushing yards and I think we can and should do better than that with the O-line we’ve got.

Also, I’m going to predict that, whatever team signs Le’Veon Bell is going to end up regretting it.  He’ll command big dollars (though maybe not as big as he thinks) and these kinds of deals are often unsuccessful...particularly when considered in the context of cost.

13 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I like Marlon Mack (as well as Hines and Wilkins) and am hopeful that our ground game has improved and will continue to improve.

But we still only ranked 20th in rushing yards and I think we can and should do better than that with the O-line we’ve got.

Also, I’m going to predict that, whatever team signs Le’Veon Bell is going to end up regretting it.  He’ll command big dollars (though maybe not as big as he thinks) and these kinds of deals are often unsuccessful...particularly when considered in the context of cost.

We didnt run the ball well in the first 7 games......  Some of that had to be, new people playing together. 

I think if we have a full season of excellent line play (no injuries please) we will be top 10 in running, without adding anyone

Over the 2nd half of the season, the reasons to grab a guy like Bell have started to diminish.

As I earlier posted on this thread a bigger RB to add to the stable would help.

I also think that another WR to stretch the field would do wonders for our running game

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Look, this is an illusion.

This stat is all but worthless when judging individual running backs because it includes rushing yards by mobile QBs.

As long as Luck is the QB, the Colts will probably never be in the top 10 in total yards rushing.

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

And for the REALWORLD, where did we rank in rushing after we got our O-Line set? We were passing 50 times a game to start the season using short passes for our running game ya know.
 Bell will be OK with the Jets, he will help, he pass blocks great too. But they will have a long row toe hoe getting him into the playoffs.

I am happy with our RB situation.  As long as our OL stays healthy and opens holes, then we'll be fine.  We don't need to lead the league in rushing, because we have a balanced attack.  If we rank in the top 12-15 in rushing next year, we'll win at least 12 games, because we know our passing game will be top 10.

No need to spend all that $$$ on Bell...spend it on depth and continue building a full roster.

• Like 4

My only knock on Mack is he goes down so easy in the open field.  Sometimes it's like he tells his own feet to trip up over themselves.  That and he has no shake and bake.   Other than that he does get the job done if you feed him enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

My only knock on Mack is he goes down so easy in the open field.  Sometimes it's like he tells his own feet to trip up over themselves.  That and he has no shake and bake.   Other than that he does get the job done if you feed him enough.

i hate to go back to kelly but i think in our run fits the play calling on the running side fits his abilities more. he has some wiggle he's got crazy burst i think he's not 100% also but who is at this time of year. Mack does his job i think we'd like for him to be more explosive with his touches. i'd love to see a james connor like RB here and have MM be the change of pace back. i have a feeling that Wilkins could be that big play guy when he's in he sees the lanes better and sets up the blocks very nicely.

2 minutes ago, waka waka said:

i hate to go back to kelly but i think in our run fits the play calling on the running side fits his abilities more. he has some wiggle he's got crazy burst i think he's not 100% also but who is at this time of year. Mack does his job i think we'd like for him to be more explosive with his touches. i'd love to see a james connor like RB here and have MM be the change of pace back. i have a feeling that Wilkins could be that big play guy when he's in he sees the lanes better and sets up the blocks very nicely.

I'd like to have a back like Derrick Henry on our team to go along with what we've already got.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TheMiz said:

Mack has no vision and can't pass protect...according to numerous posters on here. :facepalm:

And he tends to go down with minimal contact.

It's all true. I like him, especially in the open field or around the corner, but he has some flaws.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Serviceable back, but you're lying if you think he's great.  He had a pretty good season outside of being injured.

I'm not a fan of paying top dollar or drafting RB's early though because I don't think their impact is worth it when their success depends more on the guys in front of them.

37 minutes ago, Superman said:

And he tends to go down with minimal contact.

It's all true. I like him, especially in the open field or around the corner, but he has some flaws.

No doubt he has flaws, pretty much every RB in the league does...Gurley is probably as close as you can get to being the perfect back. No, I wouldn't put Mack anywhere close to Gurley, but remove the injuries and you are looking at elite level performance.

I agree Mack isn't a power back, but has proven he can break some tackles and push the pile at times.

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

No doubt he has flaws, pretty much every RB in the league does...Gurley is probably as close as you can get to being the perfect back. No, I wouldn't put Mack anywhere close to Gurley, but remove the injuries and you are looking at elite level performance.

I agree Mack isn't a power back, but has proven he can break some tackles and push the pile at times.

I agree. Like I said, I like him, but I think his style is better suited to a complementary role, not the bell cow role.

Then again, every time he gets 10+ carries, the Colts win, so maybe they just need to keep the running game in the game script and he'll be productive.

Overall, I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out where Mack comes up short. He's good, but he can be frustrating to watch at times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ricker182 said:

Serviceable back, but you're lying if you think he's great.  He had a pretty good season outside of being injured.

I'm not a fan of paying top dollar or drafting RB's early though because I don't think their impact is worth it when their success depends more on the guys in front of them.

Mack may not be great, but he's a bit better than serviceable.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Mack:   Bell is an all pro playmaker.  As players they are miles apart. 

Neither one is a "home-run hitter", they're both good "chain-movers".

Aside from the sheer volume of touches that Bell got the last few years, they're not that different.

You're extremely biased toward Bell for some reason.  :dunno:

• Like 2

For the money we will spend for a RB, I want him to be able to avg 4-4.5 ypc, be capable of pass blocking and be an occasional threat as a receiver out of the backfield. I don’t want to see us pay 15-17 million a year for a guy who can run great, pass protect well and catch out of the backfield when we have Luck, TY and Ebron. The difference between that great back at 16 mil/yr and having an above average guy at all these jobs for 7-8 yr plus being able to add a solid contributor on defense for 10 million yr type guy I think trumps limitations you put on the cap space. If we had a lessor talent at QB, I’d say get Bell. We have a top 3 QB in the league, we should focus on depth and defense first. Draft a Leveon type guy to develop.