Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Outlook

Scott Pennock

At this point I firmly believe that the linebacking corps is in excellent shape moving forward and into 2019. Darius Leonard looks like an All-Pro and Anthony Walker is a well-balanced, sideline to sideline MLB. Zaire Franklin, Matthew Adams and Skai Moore provide solid depth. 

The edge rushers are young and learning on the job (outside of Sheard). Turay looks like he'll be the real deal as he's put together a solid rookie season thus far. Lewis showed flashes (in just one game no less) of what he did in college and in off-season workouts.

But, the depth CB is building behind them in Muhammad, Phillips (IR) and now the signing of Wimbush (PS) provides talent not tapped into fully......yet

The interior of the line with Stewart, Ridgeway, Autry and Ward (IR) provide youth and talent but all are stuck behind 2 pending FA's in Hunt and Woods. Will one or both be resigned? It seems to me this is one of the spots Ballard will invest draft capital on....

The cornerback room just improved talent wise with the signing of Jalen Collins - we'll see if he keeps his nose clean and makes it to 2019. However, with Moore II shining this year and Desir (FA) playing solid ball and both Hairston and Wilson showing signs of solid play still gives us at least capable backups. I believe Ballard will invest draft capital here as well.

Lastly, the last line of defense is in the capable hands of Hooker and Farley (IR), and when Geathers is healthy he is a solid SS. There is not much depth behind them though. Will Ballard resign Geathers? Mike Mitchell? Corey Moore is JAG....and Odum has rarely seen the field in his rookie season. I believe Ballard will invest draft capital here as well....

The long and the short of it is this....these young kids on D are clawing and scratching to give the O a chance every game with varying degrees of success. While we will make things interesting this year, 2019 will be a coming out party with our 7 draft picks, a 2nd rounder from the Jets, a 4th round compensatory pick and whatever we ultimately get for trading Brissett.....plus a buttload of money to buy a young, proven veteran or two.

Everyone sees the offense taking off, but, I see the pieces of a solid defense growing up right in front of our eyes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have to disagree about our linebacking corps. I def think we need to address the strongside with a high draft pick or in FA. Add a premier pass rusher and premier corner then I think we are set. 

P.s. I like the combo of Hooker/Farley or even Hooker/Mitchel over Hooker/Geathers  Either way hopefully they all come back healthy and contribute.

21 minutes ago, bsteves said:

I have to disagree about our linebacking corps. I def think we need to address the strongside with a high draft pick or in FA. Add a premier pass rusher and premier corner then I think we are set. 

P.s. I like the combo of Hooker/Farley or even Hooker/Mitchel over Hooker/Geathers  Either way hopefully they all come back healthy and contribute.

The SAM backer barely sees the field in this scheme though. You don't invest a high pick in a guy that wont play 60% of the snaps.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The SAM backer barely sees the field in this scheme though. You don't invest a high pick in a guy that wont play 60% of the snaps.

You're right. I just checked the snap count. I was wondering why I never heard Najee Goodes name. Just thought he was terrible.

I think we have some very solid pieces. 

I like the LB corp. Maniac is a future All-Pro. Walker plays his role solidly. The other LBs are quality depth. Turay is flashing his talent. Lewis showed promise against Jax. Sheard has been solid like always. Hunt flat out balls. Jihad Ward going down really hurt, he was making the most of his snaps. The run defense has been strong, but I'm not liking the pass rush. It's been too inconsistent. I think we should target a player like Shane Ray in FA/draft.

I love the potential of our safeties, don't like our luck. Hooker looks like a true ball hawk. Geathers/Mitchell are solid playmakers. I'm fine with this group at 100% (don't forget that Farley hit IR too). The problem is that they seem to be injury prone. We should target Landon Collins. We should've drafted him instead of Philip Dorsett.

I don't really like our CB group. Kenny Moore balls but he's undersized. Pierre Desir has been adequate. I don't recall seeing Quincy Wilson on the field. I don't know the guy that gave up the long Moncrief TD, but he's not good. I think we would really do well to draft some talent at CB, although I do like the move for Jalen Collins. 

29 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I think we have some very solid pieces. 

I like the LB corp. Maniac is a future All-Pro. Walker plays his role solidly. The other LBs are quality depth. Turay is flashing his talent. Lewis showed promise against Jax. Sheard has been solid like always. Hunt flat out balls. Jihad Ward going down really hurt, he was making the most of his snaps. The run defense has been strong, but I'm not liking the pass rush. It's been too inconsistent. I think we should target a player like Shane Ray in FA/draft.

I love the potential of our safeties, don't like our luck. Hooker looks like a true ball hawk. Geathers/Mitchell are solid playmakers. I'm fine with this group at 100% (don't forget that Farley hit IR too). The problem is that they seem to be injury prone. We should target Landon Collins. We should've drafted him instead of Philip Dorsett.

I don't really like our CB group. Kenny Moore balls but he's undersized. Pierre Desir has been adequate. I don't recall seeing Quincy Wilson on the field. I don't know the guy that gave up the long Moncrief TD, but he's not good. I think we would really do well to draft some talent at CB, although I do like the move for Jalen Collins. 

Well there is a lot wrong in here. You were doing great until you got to Hunt. You are recalling the Hunt who played game 1-4 maybe, not the guy who hasn’t done jack since. 

The run run defense has looked pretty good but my god how bad has the back end been? Hooker hasn’t looked right since whatever happened to his hip. Geathers just doesn’t look right either. Is it the scheme and their strong suits are being neglected in the scheme or are they both hurt and can’t ply 100% in the scheme? Idk.  Hooker doesn’t look like the ballhawk he looked like last year imo. 

Kenny Moore, yes he has made plays but is he a player or is he just riding a lucky streak and being in the right place? I still am Leary of him at this point. Wilson would be cut by any team if he was chosen in round 6 or below as he hasn’t done anything that was expected from him. Outside of Moore, not 1 DB has made an impact on this team. Hopefully the new guy will get a chance or someone will turn on a light and play at an nfl level. 

We we are hopeful that Turay and Lewis continue on their trajectory and improve as the year goes on and more likely into next season. We desperately need a pass rush and DB’s that break on zone coverage plays. Scheme needs adjusted for that imo. 

• Like 3

As a positive minded, glass is half full type of individual, I like the tone of your post

You always have well thought out, positive minded posts, which I like to read, vs the SKY is FALLING posts, that some people send.

We may agree on some parts but disagree on others....... which is A-OK

In my belief....... we arent quite at that level to be this positive ........

at least not yet

We need 3-4 more playmakers on this defense.... and 2 at least AVERAGE CBs

Lets look at the 2002 Tampa Bay Super Bowl Defense,who ran a base Tampa Two defense, and compare to our team.

Warren Sapp is an * as a human being, but was a key to the TB defense.  We need a "star" like this at the UT position.   I loved Hunt the first few games. He has seemed to come back to earth. He looks like the same player that he was for us and Cincinnati BEFORE he had 3 games of success

We need THIS type player, at this UT to make this defense shine (not just 3 games)

IMHO......... He isnt on the team today

John Lynch was a monster at SS for this same team.

We need THIS type player at SS to make this defense shine  

IMHO.......... He isnt on the team today

Derrick Brooks was AMAZING as a WSLB on that team

In this case..... I think we have his counterpart in Leonard (still early)

Simeon Rice at DE was a terror on that team

We need THIS type player at DE to make this defense shine 

I HOPE that Turay can be that guy..... but think its a longshot 

These are pattern (but not the only pattern) for this defense to become good,

and possibly great

The Tampa team that won the SB had a modest offense. We HAVE a much better offense

This defense can be SO much better with some smart pickups. If we can get to top 15, with a top 5 offense........ we will be tough to beat

• Like 7

9 hours ago, bsteves said:

You're right. I just checked the snap count. I was wondering why I never heard Najee Goodes name. Just thought he was terrible.

Goode is a good depth player at all 3 LBer positions.  But Matt Adams as been the starting SAM the last two games and Franklin was the starting SAM the previous 3 or 4 games.  Goode started at same weeks 1 and 2 only (I'm going off memory so I may be missing a week somewhere)

Good thread @Scott Pennock  I pretty much agree with your assessment.

Besides having a true playmaker on the Dline (a lot of lunch pail guys, no stars) the real weakness is in the D-Backfield.  I have to assume that's why we play such vanilla defenses, youth and lack of talent.

Not putting pressure on the QB along with DBs who are mostly giving cushion to receivers is a bad combination.

It's pretty obvious that the philosophy is to hope the D doesn't give up a ton of points, gets a turnover once in a while, and hope that the offense plays flawlessly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

nice read i have to agree with all of it except the part where you mentioned Wilson and Hairston showing signs of solid play, let's face it our corners are the weakness on the defense and Wilson is not playing up to the standard of where he was drafted. Hairston over performed last year but has regressed this year IMO.

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

As a positive minded, glass is half full type of individual, I like the tone of your post

You always have well thought out, positive minded posts, which I like to read, vs the SKY is FALLING posts, that some people send.

at least not yet

Lets look at the 2002 Tampa Bay Super Bowl Defense,who ran a base Tampa Two defense, and compare to our team.

Warren Sapp is an * as a human being, but was a key to the TB defense.  We need a "star" like this at the UT position.   I loved Hunt the first few games. He has seemed to come back to earth. He looks like the same player that he was for us and Cincinnati BEFORE he had 3 games of success

We need THIS type player, at this UT to make this defense shine (not just 3 games)

and possibly great

The Tampa team that won the SB had a modest offense. We HAVE a much better offense

This defense can be SO much better with some smart pickups. If we can get to top 15, with a top 5 offense........ we will be tough to beat

You're correct and I've made those comparisons before. I believe Hooker, Leonard and Turay can ascend into those positions of need.

We are a Rhonde Barber and Warren Sapp away....

I like the DT out of Houston in the draft as our UT and we may play ourself into position to draft a DT in the middle of the 1st Round.

The forgotten man was Hardy Nickerson at MLB and I think Anthony Walker is ascending there as well.

I still think we're one more good offseason away from controlling the AFC for the rest of Lucks career. Starting in 2019!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

You're correct and I've made those comparisons before. I believe Hooker, Leonard and Turay can ascend into those positions of need.

We are a Rhonde Barber and Warren Sapp away....

I like the DT out of Houston in the draft as our UT and we may play ourself into position to draft a DT in the middle of the 1st Round.

The forgotten man was Hardy Nickerson at MLB and I think Anthony Walker is ascending there as well.

I still think we're one more good offseason away from controlling the AFC for the rest of Lucks career. Starting in 2019!

I hope man.... I hope

The best player for our team would seem to be Oliver...... but...... he is a top 3-5 pick

Unless we packaged a deal, he is long gone

Maybe Tampa Bay would take our 1st, a third, and Brisset for their pick........ 

With one guy who has been hurt a lot and in the midst of a disappointing sophomore season (Hooker), another guy who is currently on IR (Farlet) and another guy who is always hurt and overrated (Geathers)...the secondary is not in capable hands.

Sorry for the snark...but that sentence about the S position didn’t sound right.

I appreciate the optimism regarding the defense, but I am going to have to disagree about coming into its own. I think this team still needs a lot of talent.

At LB, I don’t think Walker is very well-balanced. He’s stout in run defense...but struggles in pass coverage. I think he’s a solid SAM playing MIKE. Definitely has a role...and is certainly good depth/insurance. But I think Leonard needs a better running partner...to take full advantage of the talent that he is. I think about DAL (LVE and Smith) and CAR (Davis and Kuechly)...and that should be the blueprint (especially since they are halfway there).

Back to S, I hope Hooker can stay healthy...because I think he can still be that CF type FS. But I also think they need to bring in two SS types to run the nickel defense properly (which they run a majority of time). One of those should be a top-tier player as well.

The DL needs have been well-documented. My hope is that this is the 1st round pick next year. But I also expect Ballard to continuously add pieces to the DL every year...to create the wave he has talked about.

At CB, I am fine with the value approach...IF they go about upgrading the defense in these ways. But my preference would betall, long CBs that have ball skills. They don't have to excel in man coverage or be incredily fast...just make it difficult to throw over them and risky to throw near them. These types of CBs are typically available (either for reasonable prices in FA or later in the draft).

I think this team needs a defensive identity. I am sure we would like to see that be the DL...but for now it's much more realistic to create that identity at S or LB...or even both.

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

at least not yet

and possibly great

I like where you are headed...I think those TB teams are a good start. This team needs DL talent and a legit SS.

However, I want to take it a step further than that. Back when TB was doing their thing, the average passing yards (across the NFL) was 205 yards/game. This season, including some incredibly poor offenses (BUF), the average (across the NFL) is still 250 yards. 

The Colts have to play nickel the majority of the time. But they can't play it as effectively with 3 CBs...they need that extra "DB" to a be S type. So really, they need John Lynch and a lesser John Lynch.

And while they hopefully have their Derrick Brooks in Leonard...they also need their Urlacher/Kuechly/Wagner to go with their Derrick Brooks. The MIKE doesn't have to be a HOFer (obviously)...but an upgrade is needed I think. Walker is fine as depth.

The way I see it...this team might have one starting DE (Turay)...a rotational DT/DE (Lewis)...and some other DT types (Stewart, Ridgeway, Autry, Ward). That's probably one half of a good deep DL long-term. Sheard and Hunt won't be here long-term...so they should be looking to add a couple pieces immediately to take advantage of the depth they currently have (and to continue building what is a multi-year process).

So I think they still need:

SS x2, MIKE, starting DE, starting UT, DE/DT depth x2, CB x2. That's 9 players...and 6-7 starters (depending on the package). That is a lot of work to do.

Fortunately, this offseason could help tremendously with that. They can get that starting DE or UT in the 1st round of the draft. They might be able to get another starter in FA (Fowler, Lawrence).

At S, they can get that SS starter in FA. Landon Collins should be a priority. But there are other solid Ss available in FA...so theoretically they could add two talented Ss via FA. There's also Day 3 of the draft.

At CB, they can get a cheap CB from FA and/or target them on Day 3.

MIKE will likely have to wait...unless it makes sense in the draft. With 3 picks in the first two rounds...who knows. (They need a WR as well).

Not to mention they have an abundance of cap space to trade for a talented player under contract or nearing an extension. And they have Brissett to trade for an early pick OR a young talented player under contract.

This team has a ways to go...but the journey is going to be fun as hell (if you like roster moves).

Here's my dream offseason (to a realistic extent).

sign Malcom Brown (NT/DT)

Anthony Barr (LB)

Landon Collins (S)

Draft a star UT next to Malcom Brown.

What the defense has been missing is a Booger McFarland and Warren Sapp in their primes, not a Raheem Brock and Keyunta Dawson.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

at least not yet

and possibly great

Booger was a beast also

How I'd look at it as of today:

LE: Lewis , ______
NT: ______, Stewart
UT:_______, Ward
RE: Turay, ______ , Muhammad

SLB: Franklin/Adams
Mike: Walker* , Moore
WLB: Leonard

CB: Moore*, ________ , Collins (?)
SS: ________
FS: Hooker, ________
CB:________, Wilson*

S: _________
3CB: ________, Hairston

* potential long term starters , but need to see more.

How I'd rank based on priority:

1) 3-tech
2) NT
3) SS
4) CB
5) CB
6) S
7) EDGE
8) MIKE

Anyone I didn't mention is either a stop-gap, or not very good. Upgrades are always welcome , and really, only Turay/Lewis/Leonard/Hooker are for sure long-term pieces , imo. Also, depending on how Lewis develops and is utilized, EDGE might jump up the priority list.

An absolute no-brainer blue chipper could be taken at any position outside of WLB and FS , if I'm being completely honest. It all depends on who falls to Ballard in the draft and how much he likes who we have/values the position.

Based on this draft class , and Ballard's philosophy , I gotta think the DL will be addressed early in the draft , but ya never know how it'll shake out.

59 minutes ago, Trueman said:

LE:  ______, Sheard, Phillips
NT: ______, Stewart, Ridgeway
UT: Lewis*, Autry
RE: Turay, Muhammad, Ward

SLB: Adams*, ________
Mike: Walker* , Moore*
WLB: Leonard, Franklin*

CB: Moore*, Wilson, Collins (?)
SS: Farley, ________
FS: Hooker, Odum, ________
CB: Desir, ________
3CB: , Hairston

* potential long term starters , but need to see more.

How I'd rank based on priority:

1) EDGE
2) NT
3) CB
4) SS
5) SAM

6) FS

Like your format.  Well done.  Here's how I'd rank them.  The last five games has convinced me that we need a bookend DE to provide more pressure on the QB.  However, with the fantastic DTs in this class, seems like we can address the NT position in Round 1 with one of the freaks like Christian Wilkins who can stop the run really well, but get pretty good pass rush too.   I've been an Odum fan ever since we signed him after the draft and I got a glimpse at his workout numbers.   We'll certainly get a good look at him this weekend, particularly if Hooker can't go.  I think Franklin, Adams, and Moore are versatile enough to play any of our LB positions...

@shastamasta makes a great point about the NFL changing so much.  We need to define what a great defense is.  

It’s such an Offense game anymore that maybe a bend, don’t break D is all you need as long as you have a great offense.  Give up 3, score 7.  

JAX had a great D last year but gave up a ton of points in the playoffs.   Except for the year Denver won, weren’t all the playoff winning teams doing it with really good offenses and adequate D’s?

Not saying we don’t need to improve, but I am saying a great D isn’t as important as a great O.  

• Like 2

Would love this lineup next year.

DE - Turay, Sheard

NT - Malcom Brown, Stewart

UT - UT from draft, Ward, Ridgeway

DE - Lewis, Autry

OLB - Anthony Barr, Adams, Franklin

MLB - Walker, Moore

OLB - Leonard

CB - Wilson, Hairston

CB - Desir, Collins

FS - Hooker, Farley

SS - Landon Collins, Geathers, Mitchell

Nickle - Moore

5 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Would love this lineup next year.

DE - Turay, Sheard

NT - Malcom Brown, Stewart

UT - UT from draft, Ward

DE - Lewis, Autry

First off..... in the picture.... are those your real teeth? 

I think we need an additional DE, that can rush........

Turay looks ok,  I dont see him getting more than 6-8 sacks

No one is game planning for him

I would be very nervous about leaving our DE spot As-is going into 2019

LOL the teeth belong to a character Tim Curry played on Criminal Minds. :D

We have a logjam at DE with players that can get 4-8 sacks a year, but no DTs on the inside taking up a double team. Thats where the majority of the team focus should be next offseason.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

LOL the teeth belong to a character Tim Curry played on Criminal Minds. :D

We have a logjam at DE with players that can get 4-8 sacks a year, but no DTs on the inside taking up a double team. Thats where the majority of the team focus should be next offseason.

I posted it..... than felt bad, because.... WHAT IF THEY WERE YOUR TEETH???

I really believe we need a showstopper at DE......

This kid Chase from MU would seem to be a fit

22 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Well there is a lot wrong in here. You were doing great until you got to Hunt. You are recalling the Hunt who played game 1-4 maybe, not the guy who hasn’t done jack since. 

The run run defense has looked pretty good but my god how bad has the back end been? Hooker hasn’t looked right since whatever happened to his hip. Geathers just doesn’t look right either. Is it the scheme and their strong suits are being neglected in the scheme or are they both hurt and can’t ply 100% in the scheme? Idk.  Hooker doesn’t look like the ballhawk he looked like last year imo. 

Kenny Moore, yes he has made plays but is he a player or is he just riding a lucky streak and being in the right place? I still am Leary of him at this point. Wilson would be cut by any team if he was chosen in round 6 or below as he hasn’t done anything that was expected from him. Outside of Moore, not 1 DB has made an impact on this team. Hopefully the new guy will get a chance or someone will turn on a light and play at an nfl level. 

We we are hopeful that Turay and Lewis continue on their trajectory and improve as the year goes on and more likely into next season. We desperately need a pass rush and DB’s that break on zone coverage plays. Scheme needs adjusted for that imo. 

I disagree on a few things in this post.

Hunt hasn't balled out since the first quarter of the season, but he also hasn't been 100%. PFF has him ranked as an above average defensive lineman in the league.

The defensive backs overall have been a bit disappointing, but I already said I didn't like the CB group. Malik Hooker hasn't had as big of an impact when it comes to picks, unlike last season, but he's still been around the ball making plays. He's an above average safety and graded out as 11th best according to PFF. Hooker also made the game winning fumble recovery against Jax.

I really like Kenny Moore, he's usually in the right place at the right time, which is all you can ask of  a DB. He forced the fumble against Jax and is also an above average CB according to PFF. You aren't giving enough credit to Pierre Desir, btw. PFF has him as the #18 CB in the league, much higher than Moore. I think you are expecting these corners to play lockdown defense like Richard Sherman or Jalen Ramsey, when they aren't those type of players at all. I don't expect them to shut WRs down, but I do expect them to be opportunistic and make plays. So far they have done that, and you have to remember that a weak pass rush only makes things harder for them.

Yes, we need more production from our pass rush. However, I do like to see us pressuring the QB and knocking passes down. I see potential. Potential isn't enough for championships but it's more than enough for year 1 of a semi-rebuild.

• Like 1

I don’t know if anyone else noticed this...    but from my booth at my favorite sports bar the Colts opened with BOTH Wood and Stewart on the field at the same time.   It was that way for at least the first couple of series.

I don’t know why we did it,  but we did and it was effective...

Anyone else notice this?    Anyone?

Just asking....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Sapp =  beast

Booger = good player

Crazy how much a difference just a good DT like Booger made to the Colts when we got him. 

Makes you wonder what that defense could've been with an elite 3-tech. *Sigh*

Hopefully Ballard gets us one.

12 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Crazy how much a difference just a good DT like Booger made to the Colts when we got him. 

The Colts defense was still terrible with Booger. The Colts were just fortunate to come around defensively for a 3 game stretch in the playoff and SB. Minus Pats game!

Slight exaggeration IMO.

We need corners who can do what Quincy did today -- read the QB and make a play on the ball. Our corners let receivers get separation at all levels and give up chunk plays several times a game. 

We also need more interior disruption and more consistent tackling.

• Like 3