Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts need Le'Veon Bell

Okay, before you comment, please hear me out on this one.

We all know how good Le'Veon Bell can be and what he can do. 

But imagine how good and valuable he could be, behind our offensive line together with Marlon Mack.

Bell can run and catch the ball like no other Runningback, and he can line up in the backfield or as a receiver, and compared to his tenure in Pittsburgh, which seems to be ending soon, due to his holdout, he doesn't need to take as many snaps on the colts team, as Marlon Mack and him would be one heck of a two headed monster.

Yes, signing Bell might create some tension and come with a huge prize, as he will demand big bucks.

But Bell would also be interested in showing his new team, that he's still one of the best, and he would do what ever it takes to prove himself to his new team.

This year we signed Eric Ebron, who had lost all confidence in Detroit, and needed a change of scenery. Now he's one of the best TE's in the NFL and lead the league in TD´s by a TE. 

I could see Bell really eager to prove himself and really wanting to play whatever role he's given, alongside Marlon Mack in Frank Reichs offense. 

Remember, the Colts wont play Bell like the Steelers did, where he were on the field on 943 snaps, and had 300 plus runs, which is one of the reasons he wanted big money in Pittsburgh, as he wanted to be paid as a WR, due to the role they used him in.  

Again, Marlon Mack and Le'Veon Bell would be one heck of a combo, and Bell would make this team better instantly, and though Marlon Mack is a very good RB in Reichs system, Bell would be an upgrade and could take the colts offence to another level.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

No, we don’t need Le’Veon Bell.

And I don’t think Ballard plans on spending big this off-season again in free agency.   I don’t think that will happen until 2020.

Our running game didn’t struggle today because we didn’t have Bell.   Our running game struggled because their DL whipped our OL all game long on run plays.

• Like 4

Do we need him....... MAYBE

Im still a Bell fan

We have an abundance of cash

He would bring an extra dimension to this offense .... next year

He is an ALL Pro 2 times

He could help the team

We could get him and STILL bring in 3 additional FAs for defense....AND STILL have CAP cash left over

I would offer a 3 year contract with a 2 year guarantee (One more than Pittsburgh)

What cant be seen is what he brings to the locker room... there is a risk there

• Like 1

I like Bell, he would be an upgrade, and he would definitely give us a big name to push us further up the boards.

However, for that price tag, with the recent play of our backs, and with the bigger needs elsewhere where we can pool our money, I say pass, and I'm hoping Ballard is thinking the same.

48 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I dunno how you could watch our team and think we need  Bell.

We need to improve our defense. Specifically upfront.

Its not based on the Jaguars game, and I should have been more specific.

But Bell would take us to the next level offensivly.

Im not at all saying that Marlon Mack or the RB´s on this roster is bad, im just saying, Bell would take us to the next level. 

With him on the team, we can go from having a good offense to becoming an offensive juggernaut. And honestly, Marlon Mack dont scare defenses, Bell sometimes demanded an extra defensive guy, just because of how good he was in Pittsburgh.

Imagine Bell teaming up with our offensive line, and having those holes to attack behind our o-line. 

Marlon Mack is good, Bell is just next level.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Its not based on the Jaguars game, and I should have been more specific.

But Bell would take us to the next level offensivly.

Im not at all saying that Marlon Mack or the RB´s on this roster is bad, im just saying, Bell would take us to the next level. 

With him on the team, we can go from having a good offense to becoming an offensive juggernaut. And honestly, Marlon Mack dont scare defenses, Bell sometimes demanded an extra defensive guy, just because of how good he was in Pittsburgh.

Imagine Bell teaming up with our offensive line, and having those holes to attack behind our o-line. 

Marlon Mack is good, Bell is just next level.  

I'm a big Bell fan myself , but you've got to understand everything that comes with signing a player. 

It's not as simple as "here's a great player , let's add him". No , a lot of other things need to be factored in. 

1) Reich is going to use RB by committee
2) Bell will demand a ton of dough
3) Mack/Hines/Wilkins will make less combined for the duration of their deals than Bell in one year.
4) We have WAY bigger needs than RB.
5) The value of the position isn't as high as some make it out to be
6) You can manufacture elite production with multiple "good" backs , but you cannot manufacture elite OL play. You can only mask it. AKA its more important that our line is great than having a top 5-10 back.

I mean, if we could get Bell on a 1 year prove it deal, or an Ebron contract , I'd definitely consider it , but that's almost certainly not how this is gunna go down. He's going to get an outrageous contract from a terrible team like Tampa Bay,  get cut in a couple years, and end up being dead money on their cap, because that's how free agency typically works.

I do like Bell , but I would have RB way down the list of priorities heading into the offseason. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I'm a big Bell fan myself , but you've got to understand everything that comes with signing a player. 

It's not as simple as "here's a great player , let's add him". No , a lot of other things need to be factored in. 

1) Reich is going to use RB by committee
2) Bell will demand a ton of dough
3) Mack/Hines/Wilkins will make less combined for the duration of their deals than Bell in one year.
4) We have WAY bigger needs than RB.
5) The value of the position isn't as high as some make it out to be
6) You can manufacture elite production with multiple "good" backs , but you cannot manufacture elite OL play. You can only mask it. AKA its more important that our line is great than having a top 5-10 back.

I mean, if we could get Bell on a 1 year prove it deal, or an Ebron contract , I'd definitely consider it , but that's almost certainly not how this is gunna go down. He's going to get an outrageous contract from a terrible team like Tampa Bay,  get cut in a couple years, and end up being dead money on their cap, because that's how free agency typically works.

I like our guys , and I would have RB way down the list of priorities heading into the offseason. 

I get your point, and though I do agree with what your saying, I just don't know how good Marlon Mack and the other RB's really are. 

Mack is still young, and pairing him with Bell for 2 or 3 years, would just be massive.

Yes, it comes with a cost, as Bell is expensive.

But the upside with Bell on the team, and what he brings, is for me too good to pass on, if we have a shot of getting him. It's not just because we have the most cap space available I want him, I want him because we would become that much better with him, and Luck would have another weapon to help him.

5 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

I get your point, and though I do agree with what your saying, I just don't know how good Marlon Mack and the other RB's really are. 

Mack is still young, and pairing him with Bell for 2 or 3 years, would just be massive.

Yes, it comes with a cost, as Bell is expensive.

But the upside with Bell on the team, and what he brings, is for me too good to pass on, if we have a shot of getting him. It's not just because we have the most cap space available I want him, I want him because we would become that much better with him, and Luck would have another weapon to help him.

We can obviously win WITHOUT BELL, (The probable route)

But.....

Bell could be an amazing added offensive weapon

He IS an improvement over what we have today

He is a great receiver, he is a great blocker

The blocker part is HUGE

We have an offense of very short drops

If we wished to go deep, Luck might get hit or sacked

Having a very accomplished blocker in the backfield on those plays could give Luck the extra time needed to hit the deep ball

This is a big factor that Mack doesnt give us

Lastly he is one of the top 5-6 pure runners in the league.

If his head is screwed on straight (I dont know this)........  He WOULD help this team

He requires a game plan from the Defensive coordinator.  If you tie a LB or Safety to him, in pass coverage, you are in trouble. You almost have to commit a CB to him.

That means you START with a nickle or dime coverage when he is on the field, leaving a BETTER opportunity to run the ball.

He also could easily line up in slot on some plays (he did) and you could STILL have Mack on the field at RB.

The injury factor is HUGE for a RB.  If we lost Mack for a game or two, it would hurt us.

If we had a rotation, Mack AND Bell would have less wear and tear, and when playoffs come...... they would both be fresh

None of us here are going to write the $16-18 Mil per year check (over 2 years) that it would take to get Bell. As a FA.... its totally a cash deal

Just remember

It wouldn't cost us a player to trade

It wouldn't cost us a draft pick in trade

Its all cash.... Not out of MY wallet....

Look at it this way, we are predicted to have around $124 Million in cap space in 2019

If we resigned ALL of our FAs for 2019 - $25 Mil TOTAL (generous)

That leaves $99 Million to shop with........  And I DO believe..... its time to shop

for FAs that will bridge the gap

Not grabbing 7-8 FAs but 3-5 FAs, but higher impact FAs

We have the Super Bowl Caliber QB, OL, and TE ........  Time to take a shot.

Defensive Player 1 FA - 18 Mil

Defensive Player 2 FA - 18 Mil

Defensive Player 3 FA - 10 Mil

Offensive Player - WR - 18 Mil

Bell - 18 Mil

This aggressive approach would STILL leave $28-30 Mil - Left over, and not leave us in cap hell

As a side note, nearly ONE THIRD of the NFL teams have LESS cap space than what this approach would leave us with

I would sign Bell to a 3 year deal, with 2 years guaranteed.

(If he plays well, we keep him for 3rd year)

The Steelers, offered him a SINGLE year guaranteed, (from what I read)

They Offered BIG ..... Non Guaranteed money.......  :(

With a success in drafting, and 4-5 FAs

This could be a  WINNING SB team in 2019

And...... because I am starting to BORE myself on this topic...... this is my last comment on Bell.   :)

It probably isnt going to happen anyway

The last I looked the rules heavily favor the offense now.  Bell is not just a RB but he is an outstanding receiver as well.  Everyone wants us to bolster the WR group.  He would do that instantly.  I can see Reich having all kinds of fun using Bell along with our TE's and TY.  He just saved a year of wear and tear on his body and will be ready to go next year.  I can see him looking pretty favorably at the Colts with Luck as his QB and our vastly improving OL.  We will be a contender next year and he can see that too.  There is a long way to go to FA and a season to finish out.  That said the good news is we won't have to trade a pick.  All it's going to take is money and his willingness to come if we truly want him.  No more dickering on trading picks.  Just his agent and Ballard talking contract.  I have to say he sure would look good wearing the shoe and the new triplets would be in place for a long time. 

On 11/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, MikeCurtis said:

We can obviously win WITHOUT BELL, (The probable route)

But.....

Bell could be an amazing added offensive weapon

He IS an improvement over what we have today

He is a great receiver, he is a great blocker

The blocker part is HUGE

We have an offense of very short drops

If we wished to go deep, Luck might get hit or sacked

Having a very accomplished blocker in the backfield on those plays could give Luck the extra time needed to hit the deep ball

This is a big factor that Mack doesnt give us

Lastly he is one of the top 5-6 pure runners in the league.

If his head is screwed on straight (I dont know this)........  He WOULD help this team

He requires a game plan from the Defensive coordinator.  If you tie a LB or Safety to him, in pass coverage, you are in trouble. You almost have to commit a CB to him.

That means you START with a nickle or dime coverage when he is on the field, leaving a BETTER opportunity to run the ball.

He also could easily line up in slot on some plays (he did) and you could STILL have Mack on the field at RB.

The injury factor is HUGE for a RB.  If we lost Mack for a game or two, it would hurt us.

If we had a rotation, Mack AND Bell would have less wear and tear, and when playoffs come...... they would both be fresh

None of us here are going to write the $16-18 Mil per year check (over 2 years) that it would take to get Bell. As a FA.... its totally a cash deal

Just remember

It wouldn't cost us a player to trade

It wouldn't cost us a draft pick in trade

Its all cash.... Not out of MY wallet....

Look at it this way, we are predicted to have around $124 Million in cap space in 2019

If we resigned ALL of our FAs for 2019 - $25 Mil TOTAL (generous)

That leaves $99 Million to shop with........  And I DO believe..... its time to shop

for FAs that will bridge the gap

Not grabbing 7-8 FAs but 3-5 FAs, but higher impact FAs

We have the Super Bowl Caliber QB, OL, and TE ........  Time to take a shot.

Defensive Player 1 FA - 18 Mil

Defensive Player 2 FA - 18 Mil

Defensive Player 3 FA - 10 Mil

Offensive Player - WR - 18 Mil

Bell - 18 Mil

This aggressive approach would STILL leave $28-30 Mil - Left over, and not leave us in cap hell

As a side note, nearly ONE THIRD of the NFL teams have LESS cap space than what this approach would leave us with

I would sign Bell to a 3 year deal, with 2 years guaranteed.

(If he plays well, we keep him for 3rd year)

The Steelers, offered him a SINGLE year guaranteed, (from what I read)

They Offered BIG ..... Non Guaranteed money.......  :(

With a success in drafting, and 4-5 FAs

This could be a  WINNING SB team in 2019

And...... because I am starting to BORE myself on this topic...... this is my last comment on Bell.   :)

It probably isnt going to happen anyway

Never say never. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That said the good news is we won't have to trade a pick.  All it's going to take is money and his willingness to come if we truly want him.  No more dickering on trading picks.  Just his agent and Ballard talking contract.

This is just not true...  yet.  Bell is still the property of the Steelers.  At the minimum, the Steelers could place the Transition Tag on him still-

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/11/steelers-expected-to-use-transition-tag-on-leveon-bell

If Steelers match an offer, they could put him on the trading block, or just use him as before. And the Steelers get to roll over the 14.5 million cap space used on Bell this year to next year as well.

There might be lawsuits on the Franchise tag and values etc...   so much mud in the water still.  But it is moot until the off season now.

Fow what it's worth....

ESPN did a story today polling NFC Execs about what they expect to happen to Bell.    It's a premium story, so I can't link,  but I can give a general overview.

The Colts are not mentioned at all as a likely, or even, a possible destination for Bell.    No one thought Bell was an option for Indy.

Here were the candidates...

-- NY Jets

-- Tampa

-- Houston

-- Philly

-- Miami

-- Oak/LV Raiders

-- SF

-- Grn Bay

-- Wash

The reasons were varied...   some teams play in states where there is no state income tax, giving Bell more money.    Some teams might be viewed as trying to make a splash for a variety of reasons.   

But again,  not in a mention for Indy.

One last tidbit....    the execs thought Bell might ask for 16-17 Mill per year and wind up with roughly 4/60 with about 30 guaranteed.

somebody is going to pay him ridiculous money and that is something i just don't see Ballard doing. Plus he sat out the whole season over a couple mil when he is already getting paid franchise tag money, i wouldn't want that character on our team....also he has been injury plagued. Soooo no i don;t see it happening.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This is just not true...  yet.  Bell is still the property of the Steelers.  At the minimum, the Steelers could place the Transition Tag on him still-

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/11/steelers-expected-to-use-transition-tag-on-leveon-bell

If Steelers match an offer, they could put him on the trading block, or just use him as before.

There might be lawsuits on the Franchise tag and values etc...   so much mud in the water still.  But it is moot until the off season now.

He is the property of the Steelers until the season is over then he becomes a UFA unless they put a tag on him.  If they put the transition tag on him they will have to match it to keep him.  Not a chance.  It will be such a big contract with huge guaranteed money that they won't be able to.  Trade him after matching an expensive tag?  What team is going to do that?  If no team comes forward they're stuck with a huge contract they didn't want to pay this year.  I don't think so.  And why should they match the tag they have Conner who is having a big year.   This is the cheap Steelers not the Cowboys.   All signs point to a divorce and the Steelers getting their comp pick. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fow what it's worth....

ESPN did a story today polling NFC Execs about what they expect to happen to Bell.    It's a premium story, so I can't link,  but I can give a general overview.

The Colts are not mentioned at all as a likely, or even, a possible destination for Bell.    No one thought Bell was an option for Indy.

-- NY Jets

-- Tampa

-- Houston

-- Philly

-- Miami

-- Oak/LV Raiders

-- SF

-- Grn Bay

-- Wash

The reasons were varied...   some teams play in states where there is no state income tax, giving Bell more money.    Some teams might be viewed as trying to make a splash for a variety of reasons.   

But again,  not in a mention for Indy.

I think there is no mention of Indy because Ballard, so far, has not made any big expensive FA signings and the exec's know it.   It's not something he is likely to do unless he feels it's the right time.  There is still a season to finish,  a roster and RB's to evaluate and other FA's who might or might not be available.  Way to early to discount his interest right now.  I dare say there will be future articles touting us as a serious team in the mix for Bell.  So time will tell.  BTW if it's down to choosing a team from a state with no income taxes versus a team with taxes the team with taxes just grosses him up to make him whole.  Not a biggie IMO.  Not if you're competing in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

He is the property of the Steelers until the season is over then he becomes a UFA unless they put a tag on him.  If they put the transition tag on him they will have to match it to keep him.  Not a chance.  

Depends on the contract . And nobody knows what that will be.  They do get an extra 14.5 mil in cap space rolled over too.

It will be such a big contract with huge guaranteed money that they won't be able to.  Trade him after matching an expensive tag?  What team is going to do that? 

It still remains to be seen if a team ponies up huge guaranteed money on a front loaded contract to a player that has shown they can and will sit out at the drop of a hat, and hasn't played in over a year. Might happen though.

If no team comes forward they're stuck with a huge contract they didn't want to pay this year.  I don't think so.  And why should they match the tag they have Conner who is having a big year.   This is the cheap Steelers not the Cowboys.   All signs point to a divorce and the Steelers getting their comp pick. 

Here is the other fly in the ointment.  The Steelers may file a grievance that since Bell never showed, his Franchise tag should toll over to next year, and not be considered that astronomical 3rd tag. Of course, the NFLPA will counter file, and it will have to be expedited hearings/rulings.

Nobody has gotten it right thus far, and there's still too  much uncertainty.  And the Steelers aren't going to eat a full year of Franchise tag cap space, and let their  premier player walk for a potential supplemental pick they may never get. (what if Steelers sign a few free agents? Don't they lose that supplemental pick?)  They could use the transition tag to run up the cash and cap cost on the team that wants him. Not match and sign free agents instead.  We don't know. And I hear Colts aren't in the running anyway.

We won't even know until season ends and the lawyers come out to play.

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

ESPN did a story today polling NFC Execs about what they expect to happen to Bell.

-- NY Jets

-- Tampa

-- Houston

-- Philly

-- Miami

-- Oak/LV Raiders

-- SF

-- Grn Bay

-- Wash

Here's a list from Odds site-

Jets
Raiders
Eagles
Bucs
Packers
49'ers
Colts
Ravens
Texans
Seahawks

------------------

Steelers
Patriots

------------------

Everyone else

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here's a list from Odds site-

Jets
Raiders
Eagles
Bucs
Packers
49'ers
Colts
Ravens
Texans
Seahawks

------------------

Steelers
Patriots

------------------

Everyone else

Jets are the most likely option, I agree with bookies on that.

49ers and Pack don't make much sense.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:12 PM, ThorstenDenmark said:

Okay, before you comment, please hear me out on this one.

We all know how good Le'Veon Bell can be and what he can do. 

But imagine how good and valuable he could be, behind our offensive line together with Marlon Mack.

Bell can run and catch the ball like no other Runningback, and he can line up in the backfield or as a receiver, and compared to his tenure in Pittsburgh, which seems to be ending soon, due to his holdout, he doesn't need to take as many snaps on the colts team, as Marlon Mack and him would be one heck of a two headed monster.

Yes, signing Bell might create some tension and come with a huge prize, as he will demand big bucks.

But Bell would also be interested in showing his new team, that he's still one of the best, and he would do what ever it takes to prove himself to his new team.

This year we signed Eric Ebron, who had lost all confidence in Detroit, and needed a change of scenery. Now he's one of the best TE's in the NFL and lead the league in TD´s by a TE. 

I could see Bell really eager to prove himself and really wanting to play whatever role he's given, alongside Marlon Mack in Frank Reichs offense. 

Remember, the Colts wont play Bell like the Steelers did, where he were on the field on 943 snaps, and had 300 plus runs, which is one of the reasons he wanted big money in Pittsburgh, as he wanted to be paid as a WR, due to the role they used him in.  

Again, Marlon Mack and Le'Veon Bell would be one heck of a combo, and Bell would make this team better instantly, and though Marlon Mack is a very good RB in Reichs system, Bell would be an upgrade and could take the colts offence to another level.

Your thoughts?

my thoughts?  are drugs legal in Denmark?  lol j/k.  Le'Veon is talented as all get out, and I'd be ok with it, but I'd be shocked if it happened.

I think Ballard is going to kick the tires and do his due diligence on Bell, as he should.  But Bell has demonstrated that he is in it for the money, and I just don't see Ballard getting into a bidding war, even with all that cap cash, over a team that feels it is just a LeVeon Bell away from true contention.  The Colts are not there yet, even though they would no doubt be improved, and I just feel deep down he is still looking at retooling the roster, mostly via the draft.  If this were say a year or two away, THEN I could maybe see it as I think this roster is on the way up.  I just don't think Bell is all we need to get to the Superbowl yet.  But......if I'm wrong and he chases Bell, then I'll welcome him in, wish him well, and hope it doesn't strap the Colts down the road.  I'm just not seeing it at this point as Bell will have a decent list of suitors.

• 2 weeks later...

Year three for Ballard is coming up this off season.  We are now making a run at the playoffs and hopefully we can get in.  Because of our progress I am expecting Ballard to be a player in this years FA market.  How much depends on who comes free and if he fits a need.  One player who will be free is Bell.  A lot will depend on how our running backs finish up.  Unfortunately Mack is hurt again.  For his sake I hope he can make it back this week.  He needs to show he can stay healthy and can be counted on every week.  Lots of rumors about Bell going to a lot of teams.  But he keeps tweeting about the Colts.  Coincidence?  I think not.  Could it happen?  Yeah I think it has a chance.   Still a lot could happen between now and FA.  It's going to be a great off season for sure.  

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Because of our progress I am expecting Ballard to be a player in this years FA market.

He might not even have to try that hard if other players have paid attention to the Ebron situation.

Ballard took a castoff from another team and he's now a superstar.  And that superstar said he signed with the Colts BECAUSE of Ballard.

Free agency might be like shooting fish in a barrel for Ballard from now on.  :thmup:

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:38 PM, NewColtsFan said:

No, we don’t need Le’Veon Bell.

And I don’t think Ballard plans on spending big this off-season again in free agency.   I don’t think that will happen until 2020.

Our running game didn’t struggle today because we didn’t have Bell.   Our running game struggled because their DL whipped our OL all game long on run plays.

Too much baggage no thanks.

• Like 1

As much as he probably wants to play for the Colts, and how well he may fit in with this offense, I can't see Ballard paying his RB $16 mil or more per season. 

They'll continue to do a RB by committee approach, with Mack leading the way when healthy. What they do need on offense is a bonified #1 WR able to win jump balls against anyone. And maybe some more quality backup OL prospects. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

As much as he probably wants to play for the Colts, and how well he may fit in with this offense, I can't see Ballard paying his RB $16 mil or more per season. 

They'll continue to do a RB by committee approach, with Mack leading the way when healthy. What they do need on offense is a bonified #1 WR able to win jump balls against anyone. And maybe some more quality backup OL prospects. 

Mack when healthy is the key and he is hurt again.  I don't know if he will or won't sign Bell.  But I do know the Colts brought in FIVE running backs to work out today.