Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Marcus Hunt Factor Has Disappeared

Tombstone

Was on a little roll for a minute with the inside pressure's  but that's not the case any more.  And as far as Shepherd he is at his best by just straight bull rushing. I wish he would just bull rush and stop trying to go around Tackels.  Help should be coming for both next year hopefully and they can play on run downs

20 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

When our zone defense allows for easy check down throws all game the pass rush can be easily negated.

The Jags kept running that same friggin screen pass out of the backfield to Yeldin and Fournette all day and the Colts defense seemed caught off guard by it each time.  It was maddening to watch. 

• Like 6

It’s not just Hunt who has disappeared. Our entire DL is struggling to get pressure on opposing QBs...

Some of it has to do with injuries...  the rest I’m not sure about.   But we desperately need more pressure...   more sacks...   more hits.   

Tennesse, and Mariotta are up next.

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s not just Hunt who has disappeared. Our entire DL is struggling to get pressure on opposing QBs...

Some of it has to do with injuries...  the rest I’m not sure about.   But we desperately need more pressure...   more sacks...   more hits.   

Tennesse, and Mariotta are up next.

I wonder if having Lewis, Turay, & Hunt all in at the same time might help Big Marg get back to shooting those gaps & getting some more late pressures up the middle?

Had eyes on Margus a few times today.  He looked tired to me.  Didn't have any push and looked like he'd rather wait for something to come to him.  Maybe nursing an injury?

the DLine looks terrible sometimes when they run stunts.  Sometime gaps are left wide open - no gap disciple at all.  They almost look disorganized at times, but I'm no coach.  It's just the way it looks to me.

56 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Had eyes on Margus a few times today.  He looked tired to me.  Didn't have any push and looked like he'd rather wait for something to come to him.  Maybe nursing an injury?

the DLine looks terrible sometimes when they run stunts.  Sometime gaps are left wide open - no gap disciple at all.  They almost look disorganized at times, but I'm no coach.  It's just the way it looks to me.

I think a lot of that was planned. We mush rushed, more often than not, trying to contain Bortles in the pocket.  He’s a very good runner. We chose to play it very conservatively after he hit us with that bomb to Crief.  Went strictly bend don’t break.  Keep everything in front & rally to the ball.  And rush cautiously. Stay in your lanes and don’t let him escape contain.  Problem is when you do both, you’re giving up 6-7 yards (or more in most cases) per play on the dump offs & screens...  I hope we make Mariota have to earn everything next week. 

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Lets hope so...    we may find out this coming week...

But with another very mobile QB coming in, I think we’ll see more mush rushes.  Maybe with Turay & Lewis we can set those edges & have him have to step up into Big Marg...???  That may be our best bet.  We just didn’t have the consistent “pinch” from the edges to force the step ups.

Well, I had wondered if the 1st month of the season was sort of a mirage for the pass rush, and it looks like it may have been.  They were 2nd in the league after the 1st month in sacks to the Bears.  Now they have fallen way back in the pack, which is sort of where I thought they would be going in.  They will most certainly need to address this in the offseason, and I would bet my mortgage money they will.

IDK, he's still a force against the run also.  people on here want to say we didn't do well running because our rb's only had 82 yards.  but it was 16 carries. 5 ypc (and against 8 man box all night). 

Could have been the Jags, Hunt did hid job there. Along with the rest of the D-line. Their RB's had 30 carries, and only 70 yards. A little over 2 yards/carry.

Totally agree about Hunt's pass rush slowing down. Maybe they changed his assignment...but the DL not really bothering Bortles was a disappointment, especially as their o-linemen dropped like flies.

Side notes...the DL waiver wire pickup that went on IR has been a loss. He seemed to put on interior pressure. And the DB Maillot(sp?) was in the highlights a lot - the Jacksonville highlights.

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I see the samething.  Ealier the stunts were working but now it just looks like a log jam to the QB.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

.  people on here want to say we didn't do well running because our rb's only had 82 yards.  but it was 16 carries. 5 ypc (and against 8 man box all night). 

most of that came on wilkins' big run.  he averaged 53 ypc, while hines and mack were 1.0 and 2.4 ypc

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

most of that came on wilkins' big run.  he averaged 53 ypc, while hines and mack were 1.0 and 2.4 ypc

Cut that crap out. It was a run that added to the totals. If you did not count the big runs NO-ONE  in the NFL would be over 5 YPC.  That's just facts.

As a matter of fact, do you think Mack or Hines would have done worse on that run?  It was obvious where to go. and Wilkins was not touched for 50 yards.  If anything had Mack or Hines been holding the rock..they probably had gotten even more yards because they are faster.

You count every run.  

Because it is the continuous small runs that break the big ones thus earning them.

39 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Cut that crap out. It was a run that added to the totals. If you did not count the big runs NO-ONE  in the NFL would be over 5 YPC.  That's just facts.

As a matter of fact, do you think Mack or Hines would have done worse on that run?  It was obvious where to go. and Wilkins was not touched for 50 yards.  If anything had Mack or Hines been holding the rock..they probably had gotten even more yards because they are faster.

You count every run.  

Because it is the continuous small runs that break the big ones thus earning them.

thats not crap at all lmao.  the backs went no where yesterday besides that one reverse play

mack and wilkens ran the same 40 too, the homers around here can be ridiculous sometimes 

19 hours ago, Tombstone said:

Was on a little roll for a minute with the inside pressure's  but that's not the case any more.  And as far as Shepherd he is at his best by just straight bull rushing. I wish he would just bull rush and stop trying to go around Tackels.  Help should be coming for both next year hopefully and they can play on run downs

Who is Shepherd?

17 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats not crap at all lmao.  the backs went no where yesterday besides that one reverse play

mack and wilkens ran the same 40 too, the homers around here can be ridiculous sometimes 

It's not being a homer. It's just facts.  You include all runs in a game.  You're just either trolling, or just being extremely pessimistic. So do we next just not include the 50 yarder Mack had on the Raiders?,...or the 30+ yarder against Buffalo? if so..well, we haven't had a 100 yard rusher all year then.

Indy scared ?the Jags so much with their run game they fill the middle with 8 man boxes all day. That meant 1-1 with receivers ALL day. Jags picked their poison. Chose to get embarrassed by the TE's rather than the RB's. Teams generally decide what they want to take away, and the Jags (7 probowlers) filled the box.  And yet we still out YPC'd their RB's.

I'm surprised this thread is mostly DL talk and not a harping on Mike's, err, Marcus, err, Margus's name/typo.

And they've all regressed. There's several reasons that it could be, but to be honest, who's the blue chip in there that you simply can't believe isn't getting the job  done?

19 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

It's not being a homer. It's just facts.  You include all runs in a game.  You're just either trolling, or just being extremely pessimistic. So do we next just not include the 50 yarder Mack had on the Raiders?,...or the 30+ yarder against Buffalo? if so..well, we haven't had a 100 yard rusher all year then.

Indy scared ?the Jags so much with their run game they fill the middle with 8 man boxes all day. That meant 1-1 with receivers ALL day. Jags picked their poison. Chose to get embarrassed by the TE's rather than the RB's. Teams generally decide what they want to take away, and the Jags (7 probowlers) filled the box.  And yet we still out YPC'd their RB's.

sure it counts if you are tracking meaningless stats.  what about hines and mack combined for about 1.7 ypc, not counting that one?

the only reason that team ypc number looks good is they fell for a single reverse.  an average thats greatly skewed by one run is an outlier 

43 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

sure it counts if you are tracking meaningless stats.  what about hines and mack combined for about 1.7 ypc, not counting that one?

the only reason that team ypc number looks good is they fell for a single reverse.  an average thats greatly skewed by one run is an outlier 

All, i'm saying is the Jags filled the box all night to stop the run, When a team does that you generally don't have good run stats.  But when a defence decides to take something away, it leaves them open for something else. Which we took advantage of. The run game did their job. If they pulled thatsafety back to cover our TE's to keep them from scoring, they'd have left the run game open.  They never pulled him back, and paid for it in the air.

• Like 1