Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Empty Stadium Seats

Alex22

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Well, I don't recall losing..

But I do recall a 20+ point beat down (sort of.. I drank during the 2nd half and basically ignored the game). 

Just because you got drunk does not mean we were not in contention.  Just making the AFC championship game was a feat regardless if you think so or not.

2 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Not just in Indy, saw a lot of empty seats when Colts played at the Redskins. 

Totally true. People stream nowadays also.

I've got friends who wouldn't go to a game of you paid them and took them.

Their argument is solid though.. I can't say I blame someone if they would rather watch at home with their friends, family, favorite beverage, on a lazy boy watching on a monster tv.

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

Totally true. People stream nowadays also.

I've got friends who wouldn't go to a game of you paid them and took them.

Their argument is solid though.. I can't say I blame someone if they would rather watch at home with their friends, family, favorite beverage, on a lazy boy watching on a monster tv.

Sooner or later the NFL will become pay per view. It already is to a certain degree now.

• Like 1

Yesterday was the lowest attendance in LOS history.  I think it’s mostly due to the Colts not being that good so people aren’t willing to pay what the Colts want for tickets anymore.  If you charge an arm and leg for tickets fans aren’t going to pay if you have a bad team other than a handful of markets.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Well, I don't recall losing..

But I do recall a 20+ point beat down (sort of.. I drank during the 2nd half and basically ignored the game). 

Unfortunately we couldn't get by the Patriots in 2013 and 2014, those were still 2 Very Good years with Playoff wins. 2012 was one my favorite seasons as well. All the Luck comebacks as a rookie and nobody had us winning more than 5 games, going 11-5 that season was unreal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yesterday was the lowest attendance in LOS history.  I think it’s mostly due to the Colts not being that good so people aren’t willing to pay what the Colts want for tickets anymore.  If you charge an arm and leg for tickets fans aren’t going to pay if you have a bad team other than a handful of markets.

And honestly, I don't blame them.

It's not cheap nowadays to attend most sports live.

Don't underestimate the weather also honestly. Not saying that's the cause, but people find better things to do if it's a nice fall day and their team isn't good/great.

I've always been an Irsay fan and I believe he will fix this. He loved being in the upper crust of teams during our golden age, he wants that again for himself, Andrew and us.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can't find the numbers on blacked out games but I can't remember not being able to watch all but one Colts game since they been in Indy.  I remember going to a friends house over in Terre Haute to watch a game a long time ago but that is before we drafted Jeff George so it's been a minute.

I cant remember if it was a league rule back then, or if it was simply black outs due to the Hoosier Dome not selling out, but during the years of Mike Pagel, the only Colts games we got to watch on TV were the away games. :puke:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Unfortunately we couldn't get by the Patriots in 2013 and 2014, those were still 2 Very Good years with Playoff wins. 2012 was one my favorite seasons as well. All the Luck comebacks as a rookie and nobody had us winning more than 5 games, going 11-5 that season was unreal.

Those were good years, but they weren't realistically going to win a Super Bowl. That's why Grigson brought in such greatest hits as Andre Johnson.

But 2012 was lot's of fun.

6 minutes ago, IinD said:

Don't underestimate the weather also honestly. Not saying that's the cause, but people find better things to do if it's a nice fall day and their team isn't good/great.

I've always been an Irsay fan and I believe he will fix this. He loved being in the upper crust of teams during our golden age, he wants that again for himself, Andrew and us.

I don’t blame them either.  The best thing Irsay can do to fix it is to put a winner on the field and he’s trying its just going to take time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

From the time the team moved here in 1984 when I was a teenager I went to games for 30 years, been to around 50 of them. I have seen Dickerson live, Harbaugh live, a ton of Manning games and a few Luck games. I haven't been to a game since the 2013 Season. Not because I don't love the team, I just would rather watch Football at home in my recliner with no crowds to mess with, drink a 6 pack, eat whenever I want, go to the bathroom when I want, Etc.. I just have no desire to go now days being older I guess when I have everything at home I need and can watch on a 50 inch TV.

It’s getting increasingly expensive to go to games. Tickets are expensive. Food and drinks are expensive. All these 1 pm start times mean spending big money on food. I have 5 season tickets for my family, 3 of which are young boys 9 and under.

Traffic has gotten out of control. Just a few short years ago, I could get to and from the games with ease. Sometimes getting out of the parking lot or garage might have taken some time but one I got on the road it was pretty easy to get home. Now they block off every dang street and I have to leave my house around 11:30 am just so I can get there, get parked, and maybe grab a hotdog before the game starts.

I never was one to leave a game early but they started blocking streets before the game lets out so now I have to fight all the drunk people trying to get out of the parking lot just to jump into bumper to bumper traffic. So I leave my house at 11:30 am and if I stay for the entire game I won’t make it back home until around 6:00 - 6:30 pm. I started leaving early and I notice that there are a lot of people who do so as well. 

Im about ready to give up my seats. It’s getting too expensive and too stressful to go to games. The usher in my section has told me that several people have told him they won’t be renewing after this. Oh, I almost forgot that the product on the field hasn’t been good. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

It’s getting increasingly expensive to go to games. Tickets are expensive. Food and drinks are expensive. All these 1 pm start times mean spending big money on food. I have 5 season tickets for my family, 3 of which are young boys 9 and under.

Traffic has gotten out of control. Just a few short years ago, I could get to and from the games with ease. Sometimes getting out of the parking lot or garage might have taken some time but one I got on the road it was pretty easy to get home. Now they block off every dang street and I have to leave my house around 11:30 am just so I can get there, get parked, and maybe grab a hotdog before the game starts.

I never was one to leave a game early but they started blocking streets before the game lets out so now I have to fight all the drunk people trying to get out of the parking lot just to jump into bumper to bumper traffic. So I leave my house at 11:30 am and if I stay for the entire game I won’t make it back home until around 6:00 - 6:30 pm. I started leaving early and I notice that there are a lot of people who do so as well. 

Im about ready to give up my seats. It’s getting too expensive and too stressful to go to games. The usher in my section has told me that several people have told him they won’t be renewing after this. Oh, I almost forgot that the product on the field hasn’t been good. 

Yeah this too, see my Post above. I haven't been to a game since 2013 and it has nothing to do with the team itself. I still love the Colts.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

From the time the team moved here in 1984 when I was a teenager I went to games for 30 years, been to around 50 of them. I have seen Dickerson live, Harbaugh live, a ton of Manning games and a few Luck games. I haven't been to a game since the 2013 Season. Not because I don't love the team, I just would rather watch Football at home in my recliner with no crowds to mess with, drink a 6 pack, eat whenever I want, go to the bathroom when I want, Etc.. I just have no desire to go now days being older I guess when I have everything at home I need and can watch on a 50 inch TV.

It was cheaper for me to go to KC games than Indy games growing up because of ticket prices and such

Nowadays I physically can’t  go to any games

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Yep, you're the fan I was basically mentioning a post or two up.

It's not easy to go to games anymore and it ain't cheap. It's tough.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

KC had special rates and sections 

The trip was for 5 or 6 people plus 2 nights in a hotel and food and such

Yeah back then I only went to probably maybe 4 or 5 games, about 1 a year with my parents when we had Dickerson. I also went to a few games when Harbaugh was here in the mid 90's. They would always treat me to 1 game a year. I just remember tickets were cheap back then. During the Manning and Luck years up to 2013 my friends and I would usually pick 2 games to go to way ahead of time and get the tickets. We made a day out of it, go to St Elmo, drink a little and eat well. Great memories actually.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can remember when the fans in the lower deck wore suits and ties and the jean crowd was in the upper deck.  In the RCA dome the upper deck was the place to be. If the game wasn't going well there were always some crazy stuff happening in the upper deck. Lots of drinking, smoking weed and partying up on top. lol

I seen some crazy stuff being thrown off the upper deck down on the suits and ties. Lots of popcorn and beer being accidently dropped lol

Oh yeah, the Dome was a blast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I should probably let this go (and you could too..), but it was a loose approximation. But let's be fair and put this under the microscope since you brought it up. The team has never been a serious contender since Luck arrived.

Those 11 win teams could lose by 20+ points to better squads and I recall vividly feeling like Luck was kick butt, while much of the roster was just butt during those years. Which leads us to today, this rebuild and the fan base not being all in. 

If you want to call this a “loose approximation” so be it.. 

We can move on...  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think with the advancement of technology this is the case the world over...

So much more info on the broadcast and easier to see what is going on...

Nothing beats a live game though (if its a W)...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

I think with the advancement of technology this is the case the world over...

So much more info on the broadcast and easier to see what is going on...

Nothing beats a live game though (if its a W)...

Yeah there are times when I miss it, I used to go with a group to these games. 3 others and once 1 of the guys got married and moved we all quit going. Now like you said I have everything I need at home, can follow games on the Internet and follow all the games while relaxing at home. I am glad all people aren't like me now because half the stadium would be empty. I praise people that still  go to games and get loud at games. Without people going to games we wouldn't have a team or a Home field advantage. I miss the RCA Dome, that was a true home field advantage and very loud! 

• Like 1

I'd like to go to a game. But my wife and I were looking into the Jets vs Colts game.. which is looking like a battle between a couple 1 win teams. And people are right, the prices are outrageous.. I could easily go out and buy a nice 50 inch tv and have the perfect seat and view from home. 

• Like 1

I thought OP was talking about empty seats throughout the league, not just Indy.

And I'll agree.  I don't think politics has a lot to do with it per se, but I think it highlights the arrogant diva attitude many NFL players have.....exacerbated by media coverage.

All teams look a like, as far as coverage.  Its about the QB, then about the diva's, then about the stars.  Even if the diva's and the stars aren't that good anymore, they still get covered.  Try watching that same coverage of 32 different teams over 16 games per week for 18 weeks.  Same , same, same. 

Because of the superficial coverage, including shallow data like stats for fantasy leagues, the NFL has become more boring.  Why spend the money to attend a boring sport.

We don't go to as many games as we used to, but still try to make it over for at least  2 a year.  We usually just make a weekend out of it.   I understand what many are saying about the expense, but that is true with many forms of entertainment or livelihood.     Concert prices are crazy $$ nowadays too..   

For me........Nothing beats being at the game.  

indy.thumb.jpg.a1a61d21b2909ebbcd0c7ecbf14d4620.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I'd like to go to a game. But my wife and I were looking into the Jets vs Colts game.. which is looking like a battle between a couple 1 win teams. And people are right, the prices are outrageous.. I could easily go out and buy a nice 50 inch tv and have the perfect seat and view from home. 

This is so true....I have been to two games at LOS and one time the tickets were given to me, the other i found $100 lower bowl tickets the day before the Bengals WC win a few years back.  It is hard to find any tickets that are decent price.  I can't make myself purchase tickets $120 bucks to sit in the second deck or higher, it is just silly, I can see it better on my TV.

I know a lot will say you can't get the atmosphere, which it is pretty cool, but it isn't worth so much money to me. (I am probably a squeak a little when I walk, my dad says, lol)

I am the type if I go I want to sit down low where I can see everything closely and kind of dissect the game.  In order to do that you are going to have to drop at least $350 most games for you and your significant other to go...I can do a lot with $350 

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Hopefully you can make it to that game. I'm going as it's local, hope to see a roll call of some East coast fans here going in a couple weeks...

• Like 1

It's not just the Colts, it's all across the NFL. When the cameras do show the crowd, it's bad for all teams. 

These refs are killing games, and games around the NFL are being decided by them. It's almost like they are either getting paid, or getting a call from HQ saying, this team needs to score. (Philly game left a horrible taste in my mouth but that's not the only game by far it's happening in) 

This whole roughing the passer garbage is just another bad "rule" the NFL is shooting itself in the foot with. Same with the head to head rule. I'm all for safety, and call it here and there but the inconsistency between calls is atrocious. 

Look, I don't like or get into politics, but anyone who says the "protesting" or "kneeling" doesn't have anything to do with people not watching the NFL anymore are kidding themselves. I hear people at work, the gym, the bar, all over the place talking about they don't watch it anymore for that specific reason. Sucks, but it's reality. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Look, I don't like or get into politics, but anyone who says the "protesting" or "kneeling" doesn't have anything to do with people not watching the NFL anymore are kidding themselves. I hear people at work, the gym, the bar, all over the place talking about they don't watch it anymore for that specific reason. Sucks, but it's reality. 

This.   I hear it all the time too.    However, I will clarify that most of the people I hear saying this never went to a game in their life, or ever watched much at all.    :dunno:       

The friends, family members or coworkers that have always been diehard fans, still are.

• Like 2

I still hear from older Colts fans that they just aren't into NFL football as much anymore since Peyton is gone. I hear it a lot from my father in law who had season tickets to the Colts game for many years. Since Peyton left to be a Bronco, he sold off his tickets and never renewed them thinking he did his part to "screw the Colts organization". He entirely felt that most people did the same too. Which I'm sure some people did. He will catch a Colts game here and there but always says the team is trash and maybe Peyton will come back from retirement to get this team straight. All I can do is laugh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I still hear from older Colts fans that they just aren't into NFL football as much anymore since Peyton is gone. I hear it a lot from my father in law who had season tickets to the Colts game for many years. Since Peyton left to be a Bronco, he sold off his tickets and never renewed them thinking he did his part to "screw the Colts organization". He entirely felt that most people did the same too. Which I'm sure some people did. He will catch a Colts game here and there but always says the team is trash and maybe Peyton will come back from retirement to get this team straight. All I can do is laugh.

My son (who btw, attended UT at the same time as Peyton) shares the same sentiment as your father-in-law.    When Peyton went to the Broncos, my son followed, and remains a Bronco fan now.     

No secret here,  I too was a huge Peyton fan, and was maybe a bit more into the games when he was around,  hard not to be...  He made it exciting.    The days of  Peyton, Marvin, Edge, Reggie, Dallas, Jeff, Brandon,  and the list goes on......   were some great times.   I absolutely loved being at the games watching all of them.       

• Like 1

It’s a costly trip. Tickets are expensive. Buying anything at the stadium is outrageous. 

All the noise off the field is having an effect, be it the rules fans don’t like or understand, the protests, or whatever else is distracting this week has helped burn out plenty. 

Beyond that we’ve not been a good team in some years. The Grigson and Pagano saga wore a lot of the casuals down. Those weren’t fun years. THIS hasn’t been a fun year for most casuals. 

And that’s where the makeup is. The hardcore passionate fans are along for the ride no matter what. But the casuals aren’t. And right now they have more and more reason to jump off the ride than they do to stick around. 

Its not a complicated rocket science. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Fish said:

I should probably let this go (and you could too..), but it was a loose approximation. But let's be fair and put this under the microscope since you brought it up. The team has never been a serious contender since Luck arrived.

Those 11 win teams could lose by 20+ points to better squads and I recall vividly feeling like Luck was kick butt, while much of the roster was just butt during those years. Which leads us to today, this rebuild and the fan base not being all in. 

As you guys look at his issue from a Colt's perspective, I would also say we should also look at "attendance" a couple other ways....

-As some have mentioned, "paid attendance" is much different than "gate attendance".  While most seats for NFL games are sold well ahead of the event, one will notice that MOST NFL stadiums have a lot of empty seats on game day these days.  Just like some of the players have chosen to "protest" on game days, it is a FACT that some fans have chosen to do the same by NOT ATTENDING.  While they still forfeit the money paid for their ticket(s), the team/NFL will not benefit from parking revenue, concession revenue, etc... from these fans.

-Another look we should take is with regards to the viewing audience (aka "ratings").  The simple fact here is that he NFL rating's have been dropping significantly for the ~past 5yrs.  Some have noted that (in INdy), this is related to the Colt's performance....and some of it is.  On the other hand, some of these empty seats can be attributed to a general sense of "less interest in the NFL".

Some of us older fans clearly see what is happening and I think most of us would admit that he "Golden Era of the NFL" has passed us and we are now watching a sport that is on it's downside...much like started in baseball after the strike & the 'roid era.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

The Peyton fans not accepting the era change certainly play into it. Locally, I know a bunch of buddies who cared when Peyton was here and don't now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you want to call this a “loose approximation” so be it.. 

We can move on...  

Well I'm fairly sure we can toss this year into it too and the team wasn't going to win a SB in 12', so yeah, I'm comfortable with my point. Contender means something.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

As far as the commercial breaks you have to keep in mind that is what pays the bills. That is why the players are on the field for you to watch in the first place.  Without the TV money these games wouldn't be on TV at all. 

Oh that’s how that works? Just kidding with you.

I get that but it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t negatively impact the fans experience at the game, which is the only point I was making. At home commercials suck but you can change the channel or go to the fridge. At the game your just kinda stuck there. 

1 hour ago, Reality Check said:

Some of us older fans clearly see what is happening and I think most of us would admit that he "Golden Era of the NFL" has passed us and we are now watching a sport that is on it's downside...much like started in baseball after the strike & the 'roid era.

I had some ball on last sunday when my 72 year old Grandpa dropped by for a few. He couldn't stop talking about how little he watched anymore, but he was still "into it" in so far as he was entertained by a few plays, but his general take was there's too many con's attached to the NFL right now to invest hours on Sunday watching. I don't totally agree, but it's not hard to see how the officiating, politics and ancillary issues stemming from those two points are hurting the popularity.