Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

65 Rushing Yards Allowed

lance_m8

Every week i see people saying pick up this running back they  play the colts blah blah blah then we come out and allow less than 70 on the ground the first big play for 25 yards was by a receiver if we can maintain our run defense against players of high level talent not an old AP we will be a great team Eberflus is doing a hell of a job. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

Every week i see people saying pick up this running back they  play the colts blah blah blah then we come out and allow less than 70 on the ground the first big play for 25 yards was by a receiver if we can maintain our run defense against players of high level talent not an old AP we will be a great team Eberflus is doing a hell of a job. 

AP may not be what he once was, but he averaged 4 yds a carry last week, the team had nearly 3 times the number of rushing yards last week against the Cards. To hold AP to a meager 2 yards per carry and the team to just 65 yards is pretty darn good

• Like 4

In all honesty they stuck with Peterson too long. Thompson has proven himself as a receiving back, and I predicted last week he would give us fits in that very way. But they never tried to work that into the game until garbage time. 

Matt Taylor and Jin Sorgi even called the Redskins offense one of the most boring they had ever seen yesterday. 

I get that Gruden was trying to ride the week 1 hot hand, but it just wasn’t there and they never did anything to fix it until it was too late. 

53 minutes ago, csmopar said:

AP may not be what he once was, but he averaged 4 yds a carry last week, the team had nearly 3 times the number of rushing yards last week against the Cards. To hold AP to a meager 2 yards per carry and the team to just 65 yards is pretty darn good

While it was certainly fun to watch the Colts put up a respectable defense, I'm not going all-in on them yet. AP is truly one of the best ever, and he did have a great game last week, but doing it every week is a bigger challenge at his age than it used to be. 

I guess if I knew how to recognize the magical piece that turns a mediocre defense into a good defense quickly (See 2006) I'd be a DC someplace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wes Heilman said:

While it was certainly fun to watch the Colts put up a respectable defense, I'm not going all-in on them yet. AP is truly one of the best ever, and he did have a great game last week, but doing it every week is a bigger challenge at his age than it used to be. 

I guess if I knew how to recognize the magical piece that turns a mediocre defense into a good defense quickly (See 2006) I'd be a DC someplace.

Oh I agree. I'm just giving them props for their performance this week. I'm not saying they're suddenly a top defense or even a true contender yet

I went to the game: on the Redskins postgame show, they said both the offensive and defensive lines of the Colts put a “whooping” on them.

There were a lot of Colts fans there, even though the stadium was about 2/3 full.

Now, if they can just repeat the performance this week... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I went to the game: on the Redskins postgame show, they said both the offensive and defensive lines of the Colts put a “whooping” on them.

There were a lot of Colts fans there, even though the stadium was about 2/3 full.

Now, if they can just repeat the performance this week... 

Ballard has just begun building the lines. Great times ahead 

for the organization.

• Like 2

I would enjoy rewatching some film on our d-line play.

Some of what i believe i was seeing was our interior guys doing a really good job building a wall, and our ends doing the same on the edges. They did a really good job keeping Smith in the pocket.
 Couldn't believe my eyes they lined Sheard up inside and he blew through and made a 5 yd tackle for loss. TFL  That is some epic, creative, thinking. When it works. haha 

Kenny Moore made that play early, out in space and just laid on a perfect, hammer tackle.
Our guys seemed so well prepared. Rather shocking to witness so early in this season, all considered. We have some really good teacher coaches it looks like.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Waylon said:

In all honesty they stuck with Peterson too long. Thompson has proven himself as a receiving back, and I predicted last week he would give us fits in that very way. But they never tried to work that into the game until garbage time. 

Matt Taylor and Jin Sorgi even called the Redskins offense one of the most boring they had ever seen yesterday. 

I get that Gruden was trying to ride the week 1 hot hand, but it just wasn’t there and they never did anything to fix it until it was too late. 

Gruden thought he was playing against the Pagano run defense...he was sorely mistaken yesterday....this new defense is young and flying to the ball. They needed more screens and double moves and traps...use our over aggressive nature and inexperience against us...they didn't do it and I'm fine with that!

My wife and I were at the game Sunday, (we live in the DC area, but I grew up in Indiana and had season tickets for years) and we had amazing seats in a way.  But they were row one in the end zone.  So following all the action was not the easiest from that position, and I spent a lot of time looking at the jumbotron on the opposite field.  What was very obvious though, was that the Colts defense was having their way with the Redskins running game.  Then the Redskins fans around us starting calling Smith "Captain Checkdown", and it was so fantastic that Colts were refusing to give up anything long and had enough negative plays to negate the dunk and dink offense of the 'skins.  

Great game to be at, and we were amazed when most of their fans started piling out of the stadium with well over 4 minutes to go.  As a Colts fan, I've seen crazier comebacks.  I think they were all worried about DC traffic.  We hung out and watched Luck's interview, and just enjoyed the atmosphere with the thousands of Colts fans.  Great time.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Robert20170 said:

Great game to be at, and we were amazed when most of their fans started piling out of the stadium with well over 4 minutes to go.  As a Colts fan, I've seen crazier comebacks.  I think they were all worried about DC traffic.  We hung out and watched Luck's interview, and just enjoyed the atmosphere with the thousands of Colts fans.  Great time.  

That is one thing that stuck out to me about the game, even though they were down 12 with 4 minutes & some change on the clock there was almost no sense of urgency or fight in the Skins at all. I suppose there are plenty of instances where you can see this, but I can't think of any other football game that I've watched where a team seemed to give up as much as the Skins seemed to on Sunday...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Gruden thought he was playing against the Pagano run defense...he was sorely mistaken yesterday....this new defense is young and flying to the ball. They needed more screens and double moves and traps...use our over aggressive nature and inexperience against us...they didn't do it and I'm fine with that!

Gruden seems to be the last kid in the lunch line to know what’s for lunch. I don’t expect him to survive the season, honestly. 

It seems the starting dline was:

LE: Sheard

DT: Woods

UT: Hunt

RE: Muhammad

With a liberal rotation of Stewart, Ridgeway and Ward inside and Turay on the outside and Hunt sliding outside occasionally as well.

Muhammad seems to be stronger versus the run than Turay and Basham as well (based on the healthy scratch).

You guys giving our D-line too little credit here.  It wouldn't have made much of a difference if a top  3 back was there on Sunday.  Our front dominated theirs.  We had people in their backfield on running plays more than 1/2 the time.  Then 30% of the other time when they'd be able to break out they were chased down rather quickly.  Speed at linebacker is supposed to keep RB's from getting to the edge, and that's what we have and what they did for the most part.(save the first play that caught everyone off guard).

8 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

That is one thing that stuck out to me about the game, even though they were down 12 with 4 minutes & some change on the clock there was almost no sense of urgency or fight in the Skins at all. I suppose there are plenty of instances where you can see this, but I can't think of any other football game that I've watched where a team seemed to give up as much as the Skins seemed to on Sunday...

Smith was the best last season on deep throws, wasn’t he? A lot of that was Andy Reid and KCs talent, but I really thought he’d attack the colts secondary more. It was back to game manager Alex smith I guess. That man can execute a 2 minute drill perfectly in about 6 hours. 

14 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Even my wife, who is not a huge NFL fan, was aghast by the fans leaving the stadium.  The guy next to me was smack talking the entire game before he bolted for the exit and didn't even bother to say goodbye.  I also couldn't believe how early the boo birds came out. 

We were treated fine at the stadium (I was wearing a vintage Bob Sanders Jersey that some mistook for a Deion Sanders jersey...LOL) but their fans are rough to the home team.  

• Like 1