Alex22

Chris Ballard  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Chris Ballard Opinion

• Chris Ballard is a genius
    • Chris Ballard is not impressing me
    • Chris Ballard is doing what he said he would do

26 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I like “some of his draft picks.” At this rate, the rebuild will take longer than I’d Like, but I am a patient person, so I’ll wait and see.

The "Flash" is patient. I love the irony....

But I'm with you, one more off-season and hopefully even the most pessimistic fan can see the 'foundation' that's being built right in front of thier eyes.....

Spend all the draft capital he can to make us perennial contenders again and buy the missing link(s) to put us over the hump when the time is right!

• Like 2

Compared to Ryan Grigson he is a genius.  We can all say there might be things we don't  agree with, but in the end he is doing what he says he is going to do and I like that.  Have a little faith and see what happens.  I also trust luck and he seems really happy about playing this year and having fun doing it.  That tells me something also   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I have to say this.  The whole McDaniels thing earned Ballard a ton of respect from me. I fully expected that press conference to hear the blame game, a bunch of whining etc. No, Ballard came out, took the heat, said it was his fault and that was that, moving on. The way he handled that conference and subsequent media attention was great.  I've learned one thing in my almost 20 years in the military, a leader's true colors will be shown in times of test/crisis. He aced it.  

Now his football knowledge and skills, I don't know if we've seen it all just yet, so the jury is still out on that one. 

He did end that conference with "The rivalry is back on"....lol (meaning he did take it personally i believe)

51 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

He did end that conference with "The rivalry is back on"....lol (meaning he did take it personally i believe)

I want to win that patriots game so bad but with it being on a short week, in newengland,and having a young team. Will be tough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

But I'm with you, one more off-season and hopefully even the most pessimistic fan can see the 'foundation' that's being built right in front of thier eyes.....

Spend all the draft capital he can to make us perennial contenders again and buy the missing link(s) to put us over the hump when the time is right!

Reverse Flash was incredibly patient...though that was by necessity.

He is transparent.  He gives credit to his previous mentors.  Takes the blame for his mistakes and /or decisions fans don’t like. Has a vision which he constantly states to us.  Sticks to it. Says he never really gets nervous, which I find incredible and believe it’s because of his preparation.  former teams he’s been associated with have been successful.  And yes, he said tthe rivalry is back on which made me want to run through a brick wall.  A genius?  Idk. A guy with a lot of common sense?  Yes, I think so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm on board with Ballard and agree with his basic philosophy on how to build a team. Build through the draft and focus on controlling the line of scrimmage. You protect your QB and get after your opponents. It's not complicated.  He explained his philosophy and he follows the plan. There aren't many surprises but when there are he explains his actions and how they relate to the plan. 

He has a laid out his profile of the type of players he is looking for. He wants more then just talent. He understands the importance of building a strong locker room. I love the fact he wants to build it through the draft and isn't afraid to put the young guys on the field. He gets free agency and as a result is very cautious signing free agents. 

I coach kids and shockingly we don't always win. When we lose our first game I always say the same thing winning is easy anyone can win. When we lose that's when we find out who we are. We have had a few opportunities to see who Ballard is. He has been a stand up guy that will take the heat and share the success. 

Ballard is a smart likeable guy who understands and loves the game. I don't think many would argue that. I think his philosophy is sound c and he has an eye for talent.  I love what the guy has done so far. I believe the guy will get us back on top. Remember we have not even started his second season. It will be his first with his coaches and the franchise QB. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

Ballard is a smart likeable guy who understands and loves the game. I don't think many would argue that. I think his philosophy is sound c and he has an eye for talent.  I love what the guy has done so far. I believe the guy will get us back on top. Remember we have not even started his second season. It will be his first with his coaches and the franchise QB. 

I think the staft is still not fully rebuilt yet. There are guys (Deguglielmo, the OL coach for example), who was McDaniels choice. I think these men will be eventually replaced by Reich's own people. (Probably not Eberflus. He seems to have both Ballards and Reichs trust.)

3 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

I think the staft is still not fully rebuilt yet. There are guys (Deguglielmo, the OL coach for example), who was McDaniels choice. I think these men will be eventually replaced by Reich's own people. (Probably not Eberflus. He seems to have both Ballards and Reichs trust.)

I think that all depends on how they do their jobs. If they are doing a good job I don't think Ballard would fire them. He don't seem to be a control freak to me.

For now.... none of the above really. For the most part he's doing what he said he will do, but one thing I think he's wavered on is the whole rhetoric of "the lockerroom is watching and they know who's great and who's not, who deserves to be on the roster and who doesn't". I have no idea how he can go in front of that team after he cut Simon and kept Basham and keep that rhetoric believable. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

For now.... none of the above really. For the most part he's doing what he said he will do, but one thing I think he's wavered on is the whole rhetoric of "the lockerroom is watching and they know who's great and who's not, who deserves to be on the roster and who doesn't". I have no idea how he can go in front of that team after he cut Simon and kept Basham and keep that rhetoric believable. 

Very good point also.

Definitely the most transparent and honest GM I have witnessed as a Colt fan since I became a fan in 70. I have always said about people, "Look me in the eye and give me straight". Life happens during this process and sometimes it takes some time to see the truth through to the end, but having it be shared real with us fans is a gift. 

I like the man a lot. He would be an absolute blast to throw down some cold ones with. 

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

I have to say this.  The whole McDaniels thing earned Ballard a ton of respect from me. I fully expected that press conference to hear the blame game, a bunch of whining etc. No, Ballard came out, took the heat, said it was his fault and that was that, moving on. The way he handled that conference and subsequent media attention was great.  I've learned one thing in my almost 20 years in the military, a leader's true colors will be shown in times of test/crisis. He aced it.  

Now his football knowledge and skills, I don't know if we've seen it all just yet, so the jury is still out on that one. 

You are spot on about leaders. Saw that a lot in the Air Force

I think for Ballard this season is all about developing our young players.  If they improve and we win that's a plus.  But I think this season is more about evaluation than winning and Reich is on board with that.  Ballard is all about acquiring draft picks and building the roster that way.  If there is any game where we have a solid lead going into the 4th. qtr. I think we will see Brissett come in.  Manning never came out in the old days but this year I can see Ballard trying to showcase Brissett as a trade chip for next year's draft.  If we fall way behind we will probably see Brissett in the 4th.qtr.  Especially at the end of the season.   I'm hoping for a five hundred season now and seeing some of our young players turn into core starters for the future. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

He explained why Simon was not needed. If that is not good enough for you I don't know what to say.  He didn't beat around the bush in saying the type of players he wanted. Simon didn't have the speed needed to play the position in this defense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

But even that is optimistic at this point.  We don't know if its a successful foundation yet.  We understand the blueprint, and it is good, but nothing suggests the foundation of players is sound until we start winning games.

Meanwhile, the part of the foundation consisting of LT and #1 WR will start to decline soon, forcing #1 picks to be devoted to shore up that part.

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

So its about personality in dealing with the media over decision making?   I've suspected that's been the attraction. 

Besides, who else would he blame it on, the admin assistant?  Everybody knows it was his fault, so I congratulate him on stating the obvious.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He explained why Simon was not needed. If that is not good enough for you I don't know what to say.  He didn't beat around the bush in saying the type of players he wanted. Simon didn't have the speed needed to play the position in this defense.

Ballard said Simon didn't have the speed needed in this defense.  Fair enough.  Makes some sense.  However, why keep him around for as long as he did?  He knew what Simon was.  Why not cut him when he cut the other guys like Hankins earlier in the off season for not fitting the new defensive scheme?

I know its water under the bridge now.  But just wondering. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why did he keep him until now then? He knew Simon didn't have the speed in the beginning of training camp. Did he expect him to suddenly become faster at age 27-28? Why didn't he get a player to camp that had legitimate chance to make the roster? 

Let me put it this way - after the preseason we had, with Simon being arguably our best pass-rusher and multiple others disappointing or being a no-show, did he really have any chance in hell to make the roster? Did it matter what Simon did during the preseason or was his faith sealed the moment we changed the system in Feb-March? 

This was a farce. We kept him this long because we were trying to trade him, this is the real reason. Simon never had a shot to make this roster simply because he did more than enough to make the roster while players like Basham were trash once again and Simon still didn't make it while we are waiting for Basham to show something... anything really to prove that he deserves to be on an NFL roster... he didn't... and he still made the roster. What more could Simon have done to win the spot? 

edit: And again - I'm OK with this... I don't think this is some sort of a huge loss for the Colts,especially when we know we won't be competitive this year and the future development of the youth is probably more important and I understand why Ballard would do that, but when you do it, you don't get to come out and pretend that everything is won the the field. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ballard said Simon didn't have the speed needed in this defense.  Fair enough.  Makes some sense.  However, why keep him around for as long as he did?  He knew what Simon was.  Why not cut him when he cut the other guys like Hankins earlier in the off season for not fitting the new defensive scheme?

I know its water under the bridge now.  But just wondering. 

I can't answer for Ballard. It could be he just liked Simon as he said. But when it come down to crunch time he had to do what he did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Why did he keep him until now then? He knew Simon didn't have the speed in the beginning of training camp. Did he expect him to suddenly become faster at age 27-28? Why didn't he get a player to camp that had legitimate chance to make the roster? 

Let me put it this way - after the preseason we had, with Simon being arguably our best pass-rusher and multiple others disappointing or being a no-show, did he really have any chance in hell to make the roster? Did it matter what Simon did during the preseason or was his faith sealed the moment we changed the system in Feb-March? 

This was a farce. We kept him this long because we were trying to trade him, this is the real reason. Simon never had a shot to make this roster simply because he did more than enough to make the roster while players like Basham were trash once again and Simon still didn't make it while we are waiting for Basham to show something... anything really to prove that he deserves to be on an NFL roster... he didn't... and he still made the roster. 

Are you really going to use Simon as an example of judging Ballard?  Sounds more like all you want to do is find something negative to make an issue out of.

Besides, you answered your own question. Ballard was looking for a trade that would have kept Simon a chance to play while getting something out of him. Is that any different than what all GMs do?

• Thanks 1

I'd vote for a 4th option that's in support of Ballard but also in wait and see mode.

I think some are judging too harshly (mostly just twitter fans, very few people here seem to be in "fire Ballard" mode) but I also think some fans are too quick to annoint him a successful GM. It's way too early to draw many conclusions on his GM'ing ability. I like him and want him to succeed, and I think he's had a pretty promising start, but it's also okay to disagree with some of the moves he's made.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So its about personality in dealing with the media over decision making?   I've suspected that's been the attraction. 

Besides, who else would he blame it on, the admin assistant?  Everybody knows it was his fault, so I congratulate him on stating the obvious.

No not entirely. That's just one example. 

And you've missed the point entirely 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Are you really going to use Simon as an example of judging Ballard?  Sounds more like all you want to do is find something negative to make an issue out of.

Besides, you answered your own question. Ballard was looking for a trade that would have kept Simon a chance to play while getting something out of him. Is that any different than what all GMs do?

Really? All I want to do is find something negative to + about? Seriously? In what world can you read my post and get this out of it? 

I didn't say anything about Ballard being different than other GMs. All GMs spin narratives and rhetoric. That's the point. I was responding specifically to the options in the poll and one of them was "Ballard is doing what he said he would do"... that's obviously not the case point blank when it comes to this specific narrative he's been pushing. 

Also, what do you mean by "Are you really going to use Simon as an example of judging Ballard?"? I'm pointing out an inconsistency in his statements. I don't think it's some unforgivable sin or even a major negative. But it is what it is. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No not entirely. That's just one example. 

And you've missed the point entirely 

You're talking about leadership.  I get it.  But that only goes so far if the talent is mediocre.  His main job is to get the pieces first, and replace the ones that leave.  I think we should judge him on the performance of his main job, which is way too early to tell.

What I can speculate is this, he's put himself into a bit of a hole by using #1 picks on a FS and a G, when our LT and #1 WR will need replacing soon.  So far, he's benefited from the 4 most important positions on offense being given to him by his predecessor, QB, LT, #1 WR, and C.  He's going to have to replace 2 of those while also improving the overall quality of the team, in the process of changing schemes. 

How he talks about all of that in pressers is one of the least of my concerns.