Alex22

Chris Ballard  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Chris Ballard Opinion

• Chris Ballard is a genius
    • Chris Ballard is not impressing me
    • Chris Ballard is doing what he said he would do

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You may overlook the job of a center and his importance but he also run blocks, pass blocks and protects the QB from pressure up the middle. He must also deliver the ball to the QB in the shotgun.  Nah, your right. The C position is of no concern. :facepalm:

Oh I forgot, the C position normally calls the formation. We know that means nothing.

It’s a question of relevant importance...there is no question of importance.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“The offense was STACKED for him coming in.”?!?

WTH?!?

1.   His franchise QB was badly hurt the day he signed on and there was no guarantee he’d ever be the same.

2.   Three of the five OL spots were giant question marks at best.  

3.    The running back position was bare.

4.    There was little behind T. Y. Hilton at WR.

Would you care to amend those remarks?   Because they’re flat-out wrong.

In terms of devoting #1 picks, which was the context of it, the O stacked right where it needs to be stacked at.  QB, LT, #1 WR REQUIRE a 1st round pick to get the talent you need at those positions, unless you get lucky like TY.  They don't become available in free agency either.

Even though Luck was hurt, should he have picked Darnold this year?  No

In terms of devoting picks, he has his QB, his LT, and his #1 WR.  He also has 1st round talent at C (Kelly looks like the real deal), and about 2nd round talent at TE.

That's 5 of 11 picks he doesn't have to devote a high round pick to.  100% of the positions he needs high round picks to fill, except RT, are filled.  Yes, that's stacked.  Gs, RBs, and #2 and 3 WRs don't need high round picks.  They just don't.

I think every body should amend the remark "The Colts roster is bare" (at least the O).  

Defense is irrelevant in that regard.  It is bare.  Churning happens when you change schemes.  And it was bare because it was mainly funded with free agent veterans.  I wish Ballard would use high round draft picks at the positions on the D where you can only get the talent you need in the first round.  The Colts haven't done that since Freeney was picked.

I am on the Ballard band wagon but I don’t think he is a genius yet. I agree with his approach to building a team. But letting Simon walk was a no no to me. You put play makers on the field, like he has stated and gotten players like hooker. Simon can play football. Letting him walk was a mistake imo. 

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

In terms of devoting #1 picks, which was the context of it, the O stacked right where it needs to be stacked at.  QB, LT, #1 WR REQUIRE a 1st round pick, unless you get lucky like TY,

Nothing else on O requires a 1st.  Nothing.  All other positions can be found with less.

Even though Luck was hurt, should he have picked Darnold this year?  No

In terms of devoting picks, he has his QB, his LT, and his #1 WR.  He also has 1st round talent at C (Kelly looks like the real deal), and at least 2nd round talent at TE.

That's 5 of 11 picks he doesn't have to devote a high round pick to.  100% of the positions he needs high round picks to fill, except RT, are filled.  Yes, that's stacked.  Gs, RBs, and #2 and 3 Wrs don't need high rounds.  They just don't.

I think every body should amend the remark "The Colts roster is bare" (at least the O).  Just because that remark is what the dullard's in the media repeat, doesn't mean its true.

Defense is irrelevant in that regard.  It is bare.  Churning happens when you change schemes.  And it was bare because it was mainly funded with free agent veterans.

Apologies in advance, this will be a long response.

Your argument collapses in paragraph five...    where you say that guard, running back,  wide receiver two and three don’t need high picks.    

You seem to think that only a first round pick is a high pick.   Two’s and three’s are high round picks too.   But Ballard has used his 1’s, 2’s and 3’s on defense with the exception of two lineman.    You can get by using 4’s, 5’s, and 6’s on offense as a stop gap, but over time that catches up to you.   Eventually Ballard will use some Day Two picks on offense, but I believe he will continue using his Day One and Day Two picks on defense, again with the exception of O-lineman.

As for Luck...   Ballard took the job without knowing if Luck would ever be the same.   I was never interested in drafting Darnold or any other QB...    having a 3-year window to rebuild gave Ballard time to focus on the full roster.   Luck either returns to a great level or we cross that bridge somewhere down the road.   But for now the roster is the focus.

Finally...   as for the dullards in the media who do this for a living...   they’re not just evaluating this roster... they’re comparing it to the other 31...  and as of today, any apples to apples comparison doesn’t look great for the Colts.  Our roster may look much better in four months — I’m expecting that.  But right now we’re a thousand question marks.   We look like a bottom-8 team to most outsiders.  If most questions are answered, then we’ll be much improved over last season.

I still question the idea that the line-up Ballard inherited was as rosie as you seem to think.   He inherited a mess.  That’s why Irsay is being patient with this rebuild. 

9 hours ago, stitches said:

I understand why he did it and as I said above(and in other threads) I don't even mind it. It's perfectly understandable and reasonable thing to do if you think we are not ready to compete(which it seems both I and Ballard think). But it doesn't make his "everything is won on the field, the lockerroom is watching" narrative any easier to defend after he cut a player who is obviously better than half our remaining defensive line. You simply decided to project on me that I thought this was some sort of huge negative, which I have repeatedly said it isn't.  I was simply responding to OP in what I considered a balanced and nuanced way. And I will say it for about 5th time in the last 2 days so you don't decide to put words in my mouth again - I'm good with cutting Simon. I don't think it's a huge loss and in the long-term it might turn out to be a positive because of all the development snaps our young players will get. With all that said the next time Ballard says "the best player will make it because the lockerroom is watching", I will just take it with a pinch of salt. 

Normally I agree with a lot of what you post, but the bolded would assume that you know as much as Ballard who the best players are.  I would assume that you and anyone else on this board would not know that.

Also, in another post you stated that Basham was "trash", that is just a ridiculous statement that quite frankly backs up my above assumption.

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apologies in advance, this will be a long response.

Your argument collapses in paragraph five...    where you say that guard, running back,  wide receiver two and three don’t need high picks.    

You seem to think that only a first round pick is a high pick.   Two’s and three’s are high round picks too.   But Ballard has used his 1’s, 2’s and 3’s on defense with the exception of two lineman.    You can get by using 4’s, 5’s, and 6’s on offense as a stop gap, but over time that catches up to you.   Eventually Ballard will use some Day Two picks on offense, but I believe he will continue using his Day One and Day Two picks on defense, again with the exception of O-lineman.

As for Luck...   Ballard took the job without knowing if Luck would ever be the same.   I was never interested in drafting Darnold or any other QB...    having a 3-year window to rebuild gave Ballard time to focus on the full roster.   Luck either returns to a great level or we cross that bridge somewhere down the road.   But for now the roster is the focus.

Finally...   as for the dullards in the media who do this for a living...   they’re not just evaluating this roster... they’re comparing it to the other 31...  and as of today, any apples to apples comparison doesn’t look great for the Colts.  Our roster may look much better in four months — I’m expecting that.  But right now we’re a thousand question marks.   We look like a bottom-8 team to most outsiders.  If most questions are answered, then we’ll be much improved over last season.

I still question the idea that the line-up Ballard inherited was as rosie as you seem to think.   He inherited a mess.  That’s why Irsay is being patient with this rebuild. 

I amended my post to not talk about the media, but it does get old to keep hearing how the roster was bare when it has 1st round talent at QB, LT, WR, and C. 

I didn't think what I was saying was news.  Franchise QBs, LTs, and true #1 WRs never come available in free agency.  You have to get that talent in the first round, but Ballard doesn't have to.  That's a big leg up on rebuilding the team, IMO.  And he's got a great C and very nice TE in the Jason Whitten mold, so he doesn't have to find those positions.

I agree, the more picks you have in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, the faster you can build a roster.  I wish we had more picks in those rounds the last 2 seasons instead of standing pat to take a FS and a G.  What a luxury actually.  Ballard had the luxury of taking BPA in the first rounds because he didn't have to move around and get those other positions filled.

BTW, when we go 10-6 at some point, will it be because of riding Lucks arm despite a bad roster? That's what was said about the recent playoff seasons.  No roster, just Luck.  Same goes for when we go 10-6 next season, that Luck is carrying the team, right? Or will the narrative then be we now have a roster?

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I amended my post to not talk about the media, but it does get old to keep hearing how the roster was bare when it has 1st round talent at QB, LT, WR, and C. 

I didn't think what I was saying was news.  Franchise QBs, LTs, and true #1 WRs never come available in free agency.  You have to get that talent in the first round, but Ballard doesn't have to.  That's a big leg up on rebuilding the team, IMO.  And he's got a great C and very nice TE in the Jason Whitten mold, so he doesn't have to find those positions.

I agree, the more picks you have in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, the faster you can build a roster.  I wish we had more picks in those rounds the last 2 seasons instead of standing pat to take a FS and a G.  What a luxury actually.  Ballard had the luxury of taking BPA in the first rounds because he didn't have to move around and get those other positions filled.

BTW, when we go 10-6 at some point, will it be because of riding Lucks arm despite a bad roster? That's what was said about the recent playoff seasons.  No roster, just Luck.  Same goes for when we go 10-6 next season, that Luck is carrying the team, right? Or will the narrative then be we now have a roster?

Manning came available in free agency. So did Brees... 

I don’t know about LTs and WRs, but franchise QBs do come available at times.

4 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Its not Ballard, Grigson, Pagano, Frank, Irsay or anyone else.  Its the nature of this forum.  

Every thread starts out the same ... generally good interaction, and then one post gets a member's feathers ruffled and the rest of the thread is turned into attacks on statements, opinions or thoughts of another member or members - sometimes it even becomes personal.  Usually there is a little productive interaction trickled in but, mostly unhealthy conversation, and full blown in your face of "you are wrong and I am right" and there is no other opinion allowed. 

It really gets old, which is one of the reasons I stopped hanging around as much. Be damned if anyone is allowed to have their own opinion and not get ridiculed or made to feel bad for expressing themselves. 

Its okay to disagree, but disagree and move on (I am not speaking to any one member, just generally making a statement).  STOP TRYING TO CHANGE PEOPLE, we are who we are.

I wouldn't enjoy being a mod for this forum .... at all.  Constant babysitting. 

To your last sentence, I wouldn't want to be one either eventhough I am here alot. I just wouldn't feel good about removing anyone's Post or suspending them is why. There are some Posters in here that even drive me crazy with their negativity but that is their opinion toward the team. I think the Mods we have now do a great job anyway IMO and give most people in here alot of leeway when Posting. 

Every thread starts out the same ... generally good interaction, and then one post gets a member's feathers ruffled and the rest of the thread is turned into attacks on statements, opinions or thoughts of another member or members

Positions and opinions can be debated...

- sometimes it even becomes personal

There is no debate here.  Not permitted.

Folks, report these type posts, and any other post violating the forum rules.

It really gets old, which is one of the reasons I stopped hanging around as much. Be damned if anyone is allowed to have their own opinion and not get ridiculed or made to feel bad for expressing themselves. 

Its okay to disagree, but disagree and move on (I am not speaking to any one member, just generally making a statement).  STOP TRYING TO CHANGE PEOPLE, we are who we are.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To your last sentence, I wouldn't want to be one either eventhough I am here alot. I just wouldn't feel good about removing anyone's Post or suspending them is why. There are some Posters in here that even drive me crazy with their negativity but that is their opinion toward the team. I think the Mods we have now do a great job anyway IMO and give most people in here alot of leeway when Posting. 

Sounds a lot like referring, coaching, and teaching/mentoring 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I know. but that said, he got the best OL in the draft, one we desperately needed. I say lets see how it plays out before we go too far. (He did trade back remember)

I think over the long haul, the best way to use resources is to devote expensive picks and money to where the talent is needed.  Like in baseball, the Ace pitcher is an expensive rarity, not the scrappy second baseman, or the center fielder, etc.  Its nice to have the best second baseman to play the game in the past ten years, but that won't win the championship unless the other positions are what they need to be.  We have the QB, LT, and #1 WR already, fortunately.

23 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Positions and opinions can be debated...

There is no debate here.  Not permitted.

Folks, report these type posts, and any other post violating the forum rules.

What if someone reports a Post of somebody's Post? What happens then? What if the Post isn't even that bad, does the person reporting it get in trouble? I have never reported a Post is why I am asking.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Good discussion....

I’d like to take your last paragraph first...    and I’d say I guess it depends on how we get to 10-6 (or 11-5)...    if it looks like Luck is dragging a talentless team to a double digit win season, then I guess Andrew will get the Lion’s share if the credit.  But if it looks like Luck is supported by a team where other players are making key plays and the defense is making key stops then perhaps we can say that a quality team is being built right before our eyes. 

I dont think anyone is disputing that it’s great to have QB, LT, C, and WR1 set.  We all agree.   But beyond that Ballard inherited a mess.   And that’s why Ballard has been trading for picks and trading down to collect more picks.   So many areas of need to address.

The lack of talent on the team is why Ballard asked for patience while he builds.   It’s why Irsay is willing to put up with a few more seasons that may not end in the playoffs.   An owner asking season ticket holders to please be patient and keep buying those season tickets is the hardest thing any owner can do.

Remember Ballard said his number one goal for the defense was to create more turnovers.   Hooker is that guy.   He was perceived as a top-10 pick by most everyone and a top-5 by some.   At 15, he was seen as a steal.   You take him.    

Nelson was seen as a once in a generation talent.   But worse, the Colts had failed to get any talent elsewhere on the line (except Kelly) either by draft picks or free agency.   Politically speaking it was next to impossible not to take him.   Six years of failing to build a line for Luck and a guy like Nelson is sitting there wanting to be a Colt.   Like Ballard said, easiest decision he ever made.   I don’t blame him for using the 6th pick on QN.   At some point you take the top player and don’t over think it.

I remain in the camp of 8-8.  But I think 7-9 is more likely than 9-7.   Not because we don’t have a talented team.   But because we have so many key young players and many of them will make mistakes at key moments this year.  And a new coaching staff will make it’s fair share of mistakes as well.

That’s my view of things...   do we agree any more?   Or are we still more a part.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if someone reports a Post of somebody's Post? What happens then? What if the Post isn't even that bad, does the person reporting it get in trouble? I have never reported a Post is why I am asking.

A moderator will see the report. They will then review if there was any forum rule violation. If not, it will be ignored.  If there was, there will be appropriate actions taken.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

Not roster.  I said offense.  You can quibble about RT, but C is probably more important than G.  I guess you could consider everydown TE being more important, but Ballard doesn't have to find one of those either.   The O was stacked for him coming in. 

Franchise QB, LT, #1WR, C, TE.  He'd have to probably replace each one of those with a 1st round pick.  Doyle probably a 2nd.

The O was stacked ??  You can't be serious.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, akcolt said:

I'm on board with Ballard and agree with his basic philosophy on how to build a team. Build through the draft and focus on controlling the line of scrimmage. You protect your QB and get after your opponents. It's not complicated.  He explained his philosophy and he follows the plan. There aren't many surprises but when there are he explains his actions and how they relate to the plan. 

He has a laid out his profile of the type of players he is looking for. He wants more then just talent. He understands the importance of building a strong locker room. I love the fact he wants to build it through the draft and isn't afraid to put the young guys on the field. He gets free agency and as a result is very cautious signing free agents. 

I coach kids and shockingly we don't always win. When we lose our first game I always say the same thing winning is easy anyone can win. When we lose that's when we find out who we are. We have had a few opportunities to see who Ballard is. He has been a stand up guy that will take the heat and share the success. 

Ballard is a smart likeable guy who understands and loves the game. I don't think many would argue that. I think his philosophy is sound c and he has an eye for talent.  I love what the guy has done so far. I believe the guy will get us back on top. Remember we have not even started his second season. It will be his first with his coaches and the franchise QB. 

I have to say I really ejoyed reading this post AKC. Football hasn't changed much over the yrs. You dominate on the line, win in the trenches, & bring down the other QB as often as you can or at least give him frequent love tabs anyway. LOL!

If you don't mind me asking, how old are the kids you coach? I respect people that can teach others & impart knowledge along the way. Yeah, you learn most by failure no question. A healthy mixture of patience, tough love, & renewed motivation to get better every week. Seriously though AKC, major props for showing your students how to handle adversity the right way.

Exactly, Ballard is a straight shooter who owns his mistakes & doesn't dwell on the missteps. INDY will win under Ballard & Reich. Both gentlemen bring stability & calmness & you can't put a price on those character traits.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You may overlook the job of a center and his importance but he also run blocks, pass blocks and protects the QB from pressure up the middle. He must also deliver the ball to the QB in the shotgun.  Nah, your right. The C position is of no concern. :facepalm:

Oh I forgot, the C position normally calls the formation. We know that means nothing.

CC1,

I love the sarcasm laced throughout this post. haha Yes, I know you were making a crucial point, which makes the response even funnier & more poignant too.

You excel at humor that drives home your thesis on more than one level BTW. It's a gift. Not enough people utilize satire enough in this world or understand how to deploy it for maximum impact. Nicely done. Folks that make me laugh I never forget.

No disrespect to the other forum member you replied to either.

7 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Its not Ballard, Grigson, Pagano, Frank, Irsay or anyone else.  Its the nature of this forum.  

Every thread starts out the same ... generally good interaction, and then one post gets a member's feathers ruffled and the rest of the thread is turned into attacks on statements, opinions or thoughts of another member or members - sometimes it even becomes personal.  Usually there is a little productive interaction trickled in but, mostly unhealthy conversation, and full blown in your face of "you are wrong and I am right" and there is no other opinion allowed. 

I wouldn't enjoy being a mod for this forum .... at all.  Constant babysitting. 

Hey there BR-549,

There is some grain of truth in what you say...That once in awhile threads can get off track, go off the rails, & be misinterpreted as personal shots. Things can get testy around here when an HC is about to be let go once the season ends. Half the forum wants to cut bait & start fresh & the other half wants to claim that loyalists to a regime are short sighted fools who just can't see the light.

I get the bombastic dynamic because when I was a rookie on the forum I had a tendency to be disruptive, combative, & cantankerous to those I didn't see eye to eye with. Eventually, I learned I didn't have to win every argument on the forum or humiliate others. Besides, we all want another Championship for this franchise & sometimes, alternative viewpoints open my eyes to stuff I refused to acknowledge like Luck's interceptions can't be ignored nor his cravings for unnecessary contact since there's only so much a line can do.

Look BR-549, I respect you & I value what you have to say. Don't worry about being mocked or harassed buddy because the instigators who stir up trouble always fade away  when games really matter. They just do. Don't let a few naysayers run you off. You have as much right to be here & say whatever you want as I do or anybody else for that matter. The vast majority of forum members are polite, honorable, funny as hades, & much smarter about the X's & O's than I am. Hang in there brother. Please don't be shy okay.

The moderaters do a superb job on here. They can figure out who is being provocative for all the wrong reasons vs folks just intellectually curious who are an asset to the forum.

I look forward to reading more posts from you BR-549. I sincerely mean that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stitches said:

Lol, you guys are so weird. Why do you need to project whatever makes sense to you on me and my thoughts about Ballard and the Colts. I've never been impatient with this team. Like I need to have been desperate to make the playoffs in order to not like Simon being cut... (which I don't - I don't mind him getting cut as I said in the very post you are quoting). It's also weird that you think my point is any less valid if I thought we were going to make the playoffs. 

I've held from before we fired Pagano that this is not a season for big expectations. Here's from like... 4 days ago:

Now try again without the condescension. 

I've come away from this thread thinking that people can't handle even the mildest of perceived criticism of Ballard. 

The bolded above was my impression in the Ballard thread I started a few days ago.  Actually I have noticed it since day one.

And I'm not really sure why.  He comes across as competent, smart, well spoken.  But he so far has not at all shown he can lead a team to greatness.

Quite the opposite.

Maybe he is so far different from Grigson that people think he is better than he really is and won't  look at any other opinion with an open mind without calling the other person a troll.

Reminds me VERY MUCH of the people who call anyone who likes Trump and disagrees with the left a Nazi.

Both are ridiculous.

14 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'd vote for a 4th option that's in support of Ballard but also in wait and see mode.

I think some are judging too harshly (mostly just twitter fans, very few people here seem to be in "fire Ballard" mode) but I also think some fans are too quick to annoint him a successful GM. It's way too early to draw many conclusions on his GM'ing ability. I like him and want him to succeed, and I think he's had a pretty promising start, but it's also okay to disagree with some of the moves he's made.

Come on now FC11. We all had 3 options from the survey about our GM 1. Genius 2. Not dazzled/impressed or 3. Solid follow through on his sales pitch to ownership & the fanbase. Life is not a spectator sport. You don't get to invent a question that was never asked in the first place. Wait & see is almost identical to abstaining. Pick a selection from the menu of offered choices please.  Thank you.

I do agree with you that Grigson is being thrown around like a dog's warn out chew toy for our amusement unfairly. He's gone. No need to torment the man any further like some fans prefer to do regularly. [Not referring to you specifically BTW].

I chose #3 because what he did with the Chiefs still impresses me a great deal. He knows a QB needs a ton of help. No man is an island.

Yeah, Ballard can take any heat thrown at him. We're cool FC11. Just try not to re-invent the wheel next time. Thanks. :hat:

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if the Post isn't even that bad, does the person reporting it get in trouble?

I did wonder about this very thing early on when I joined the forum CBE. I say that because humor can be hard to glean or ascertain intent from sometimes with just words alone. The big thing I learned the hard way is this:

If you have a serious concern about a policy, person's conduct, or a moderator's protocol about a punishment handed down, always address the matter privately with them through a personal message or e-mail directly to them in a respectful manner behind closed doors never in the open in a thread. Just a cautionary word to the wise.

Once the mods get in tune to the shenanigans of a regular like yourself CBE. They tend to weigh the circumstance, the person in question, & their pattern of behavior in stride. You've got nothing to worry about brother. Usually, most problems are resolved by a removal of an offensive post & life goes on no worse for the wear.

• Like 1

I am pretty impressed and proud of this forum as #3 was clearly the only right answer. 80.8% of the Posters here voted #3 as I did as well out of 120 votes. To say any GM doesn't impress you or is a genius after 2 off seasons is a bit silly. We need to give the man 4 or 5 years and he is doing just as #3 suggests. If we don't look like a powerhouse by 2020, pile on him but until then it looks silly to do so. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I did wonder about this very thing early on when I joined the forum CBE. I say that because humor can be hard to glean or ascertain intent from sometimes with just words alone. The big thing I learned the hard way is this:

If you have a serious concern about a policy, person's conduct, or a moderator's protocol about a punishment handed down, always address the matter privately with them through a personal message or e-mail directly to them in a respectful manner behind closed doors never in the open in a thread. Just a cautionary word to the wise.

Once the mods get in tune to the shenanigans of a regular like yourself CBE. They tend to weigh the circumstance, the person in question, & their pattern of behavior in stride. You've got nothing to worry about brother. Usually, most problems are resolved by a removal of an offensive post & life goes on no worse for the wear.

Yeah I was just wondering what happens when a post does get reported, I just never knew. ColtsBlue explained it to me earlier :thmup:

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I guess it means we wont have high draft picks which could hinder the dynasty hopes 

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

CC1,

I love the sarcasm laced throughout this post. haha Yes, I know you were making a crucial point, which makes the response even funnier & more poignant too.

You excel at humor that drives home your thesis on more than one level BTW. It's a gift. Not enough people utilize satire enough in this world or understand how to deploy it for maximum impact. Nicely done. Folks that make me laugh I never forget.

No disrespect to the other forum member you replied to either.

Not everyone agrees with you. :scratch:  I have no clue as to why not either? :dunno:     haha

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not everyone agrees with you. :scratch:  I have no clue as to why not either? :dunno:     haha

True visionaries are never fully appreciated in the era in which they lived. It always takes the next generation to comprehend their groundbreaking contributions CC1.

That's what I keep telling myself anyway. :D

All kidding aside, I like having you around man. :thmup:

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I was just wondering what happens when a post does get reported, I just never knew. ColtsBlue explained it to me earlier :thmup:

It is kind of shrouded in an Alice In Wonderland rabbit hole of mystery isn't it? Translation: What level of priority is an offensive post given? Is there a scale of severity like a missile launch of readiness say 5 to 1? How many reports on a bad post must appear before a trip to the dungeon of misery is required? Dilly Dilly. [Bud Light Joke].

Okay, I'll stop before I go too far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

True visionaries are never fully appreciated in the era in which they lived. It always takes the next generation to comprehend their groundbreaking contributions CC1.

That's what I keep telling myself anyway. :D

All kidding aside, I like having you around man. :thmup:

I appreciate you because you take the extra step to get along with whoever you come across in this forum.  That in itself is a trait not all have.

Even when we have had disagreements we seem to not let that get in the way of a good laugh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I have to say I really ejoyed reading this post AKC. Football hasn't changed much over the yrs. You dominate on the line, win in the trenches, & bring down the other QB as often as you can or at least give him frequent love tabs anyway. LOL!

If you don't mind me asking, how old are the kids you coach? I respect people that can teach others & impart knowledge along the way. Yeah, you learn most by failure no question. A healthy mixture of patience, tough love, & renewed motivation to get better every week. Seriously though AKC, major props for showing your students how to handle adversity the right way.

Exactly, Ballard is a straight shooter who owns his mistakes & doesn't dwell on the missteps. INDY will win under Ballard & Reich. Both gentlemen bring stability & calmness & you can't put a price on those character traits.

I coached my son's Pop Warner team from when he was 7yrs old until he started high school. There were 3 of us who son's managed to stay the same size. We had a core of kids that played together into high school. I don't know if you are familiar with Pop Warner but weight matters as much as age. 

After a year away one of the coaches and myself started coaching the mighty mites. That's 7-9 year olds under 100lbs at the start of the season under 109 at the end. That's the best age I think. The boys are old enough to learn the game and young enough to let you teach. We run our version of the double wing on offense and a 5-3 on D. They have a play book for O and on D have gap responsibilities set the edge etc  

I love it. The older boys like to clown me for saying the same things year after year. They have  all heard the winning is easy but losing... the difference between losing and getting beat, if one guy runs the whole team better take off, clapping the last guy in.  They get it all. The other coach loves it when the team has to do up downs for jumping off side while hearing how we may not win every game but we will not beat ourselves. It's amazing the football you can get out of 8 and 9 year old kids. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I coached my son's Pop Warner team from when he was 7yrs old until he started high school. There were 3 of us who son's managed to stay the same size. We had a core of kids that played together into high school. I don't know if you are familiar with Pop Warner but weight matters as much as age. 

After a year away one of the coaches and myself started coaching the mighty mites. That's 7-9 year olds under 100lbs at the start of the season under 109 at the end. That's the best age I think. The boys are old enough to learn the game and young enough to let you teach. We run our version of the double wing on offense and a 5-3 on D. They have a play book for O and on D have gap responsibilities set the edge etc  

I love it. The older boys like to clown me for saying the same things year after year. They have  all heard the winning is easy but losing... the difference between losing and getting beat, if one guy runs the whole team better take off, clapping the last guy in.  They get it all. The other coach loves it when the team has to do up downs for jumping off side while hearing how we may not win every game but we will not beat ourselves. It's amazing the football you can get out of 8 and 9 year old kids. 

The only thing I can ask you is how you coached the parents?  I didn't coach football but I have coached baseball for T-Ball and Pee Wee leagues for a few years and always had a problem with the parents. The kids were great and a pleasure to be around but some of the parents were words I can't use in this forum. 

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The only thing I can ask you is how you coached the parents?  I didn't coach football but I have coached baseball for T-Ball and Pee Wee leagues for a few years and always had a problem with the parents. The kids were great and a pleasure to be around but some of the parents were words I can't use in this forum. 

I love basketball and parents ran me off. Football was different bigger field and they can't get to close for fear of injury. That helped and we had a "Head Coach" who acted more like the team manager took care of equipment and kept the parents off of us as much as possible. He happened to be an attorney by day I don't know that was his edge or what. We had assistants come and go but Bill was with us for six straight years. He handled all the parent issues Brian ran the O I had D and ST's aside from being cornered in the parking lot a few times hearing how little johnny should be MLB Bill was very effective keeping parents at bay. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I love basketball and parents ran me off. Football was different bigger field and they can't get to close for fear of injury. That helped and we had a "Head Coach" who acted more like the team manager took care of equipment and kept the parents off of us as much as possible. He happened to be an attorney by day I don't know that was his edge or what. We had assistants come and go but Bill was with us for six straight years. He handled all the parent issues Brian ran the O I had D and ST's aside from being cornered in the parking lot a few times hearing how little johnny should be MLB Bill was very effective keeping parents at bay. 

Some of the stuff I seen and heard from parents would either make a funny movie or a tragic reality show.  Had it not been for the kids I wouldn't have lasted a half of a season.

It still bothers me when I think of what some parents put their kids through when all the kids want to is have fun and be a kid. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

It is kind of shrouded in an Alice In Wonderland rabbit hole of mystery isn't it? Translation: What level of priority is an offensive post given? Is there a scale of severity like a missile launch of readiness say 5 to 1? How many reports on a bad post must appear before a trip to the dungeon of misery is required? Dilly Dilly. [Bud Light Joke].

Okay, I'll stop before I go too far.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to ban you...

j/k  haha

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good discussion....

I’d like to take your last paragraph first...    and I’d say I guess it depends on how we get to 10-6 (or 11-5)...    if it looks like Luck is dragging a talentless team to a double digit win season, then I guess Andrew will get the Lion’s share if the credit.  But if it looks like Luck is supported by a team where other players are making key plays and the defense is making key stops then perhaps we can say that a quality team is being built right before our eyes. 

I dont think anyone is disputing that it’s great to have QB, LT, C, and WR1 set.  We all agree.   But beyond that Ballard inherited a mess.   And that’s why Ballard has been trading for picks and trading down to collect more picks.   So many areas of need to address.

The lack of talent on the team is why Ballard asked for patience while he builds.   It’s why Irsay is willing to put up with a few more seasons that may not end in the playoffs.   An owner asking season ticket holders to please be patient and keep buying those season tickets is the hardest thing any owner can do.

Remember Ballard said his number one goal for the defense was to create more turnovers.   Hooker is that guy.   He was perceived as a top-10 pick by most everyone and a top-5 by some.   At 15, he was seen as a steal.   You take him.    

Nelson was seen as a once in a generation talent.   But worse, the Colts had failed to get any talent elsewhere on the line (except Kelly) either by draft picks or free agency.   Politically speaking it was next to impossible not to take him.   Six years of failing to build a line for Luck and a guy like Nelson is sitting there wanting to be a Colt.   Like Ballard said, easiest decision he ever made.   I don’t blame him for using the 6th pick on QN.   At some point you take the top player and don’t over think it.

I remain in the camp of 8-8.  But I think 7-9 is more likely than 9-7.   Not because we don’t have a talented team.   But because we have so many key young players and many of them will make mistakes at key moments this year.  And a new coaching staff will make it’s fair share of mistakes as well.

That’s my view of things...   do we agree any more?   Or are we still more a part.

Nah, with the talent at the positions mentioned, Luck didn't have to carry the team.  He had to overcome a bad HC/OC more than bad talent.  It's funny, many on here were negative on Pagano, but nobody in the media was ever truly negative on Chuck, even after the fake punt.  They knew he was overmatched, but never said it, unlike their constant harping on RG.

But the roster did get worse after the first round picks didn't work out.  Same with Polian.  If we start winning, we'll see what happens with Ballard.  

As I said in another post, scheme change alone is going to bring us more wins.  The O isn't going to be much more talented than its ever been, because the positions where we need talent at are already filled.  Really, we've needed an upgrade at RT and off WRs for years, going on the second year with Ballard.   Once we find those, I'll then say the O talent is better. 

We'll see about the D.  We're churning the scheme again and we have to get new pieces everywhere.  We haven't covered a crossing route in years, but we had a decent run D.  

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The O was stacked ??  You can't be serious.

Sure I am,  we've had great talent where it matters.  QB, LT, WR1 and a nice C and TE.  But we do need a RT.

How much talent is needed at G, RB, and off WRs?  Teams churn them every few years.

8 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Come on now FC11. We all had 3 options from the survey about our GM 1. Genius 2. Not dazzled/impressed or 3. Solid follow through on his sales pitch to ownership & the fanbase. Life is not a spectator sport. You don't get to invent a question that was never asked in the first place. Wait & see is almost identical to abstaining. Pick a selection from the menu of offered choices please.  Thank you.

I do agree with you that Grigson is being thrown around like a dog's warn out chew toy for our amusement unfairly. He's gone. No need to torment the man any further like some fans prefer to do regularly. [Not referring to you specifically BTW].

I chose #3 because what he did with the Chiefs still impresses me a great deal. He knows a QB needs a ton of help. No man is an island.

Yeah, Ballard can take any heat thrown at him. We're cool FC11. Just try not to re-invent the wheel next time. Thanks. :hat:

Not trying to re-invent the wheel. Just thought a wait and see approach made more sense than #3 considering the first two options. That's it, no biggie.

Also, I don't think I said anything about or alluded to Grigson.