Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Waiver Claims Thread

TKnight24

24 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

How much longer does Basham get a free ride as better players get sent packing?

It's his 2nd year calm down

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Not when we run multiple TE sets and the 3 are not inline guys

I'm pretty sure we'll be running more 3 we sets in a passing situation

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm sort of Hmm on some of these moves.  Now for the PS I'm very glad we got Ishmael and Fountain. And I really liked Carroll Phillips coming out of college. Has some real ability to me.

Andy dalton will toss 7tds versus this secondary.

16 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

You cant tell me Hunt is better than Simon or Delaire.

Agreed 100%

I thought Hunt would get cut for Simon and not the other way. Same w the waiver claim and Delaire.

That said, Hunt offers the versatility to play inside and out if needed. Simon and Delaire did not offer that. And maybe that is important w Lewis hurt and missing maybe 6-8 games. Hunt wikely would have been expendable w a healthy Lewis.

Also, Hunt has been a solid special teams contributor in his career as well. I think he has blocked a few kicks in his time.

So maybe that plays in to the third facet of the game as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Agreed 100%

I thought Hunt would get cut for Simon and not the other way. Same w the waiver claim and Delaire.

That said, Hunt offers the versatility to play inside and out if needed. Simon and Delaire did not offer that. And maybe that is important w Lewis hurt and missing maybe 6-8 games. Hunt wikely would have been expendable w a healthy Lewis.

Also, Hunt has been a solid special teams contributor in his career as well. I think he has blocked a few kicks in his time.

I think Ballard has sufficiently addressed the cutting of John Simon in the Ballard Speaks thread.

As for Hunt vs. Delaire, one other factor in addition to what you've mentioned is that Delaire is PS eligible, while Hunt is not. It's possible to have Hunt on the 53 and stash Delaire on the PS, in essence, keeping them both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

a RT to do what?  be our 3rd stringer?  No one out there is going to come in and play ahead of Haeg or Webb.....

You know that, I know that but the resident trolls that were screaming that Ballard had to find a stud RT on waivers dont

40 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Agreed 100%

He already is cause he is terrible.

Chris Ballard has shown a tremendous amount of faith in Tarell Basham to eventually  start producing. Delaire and Simon both outplayed him in August by a clear margin and they got cut. The regular season starts in a few days and this year he is back in his familiar base 4-3 DE.  He has no excuses now, its time for him to step up and repay the trust Chris has shown in him.

Also, looking at the guys at the right d-end spot, it looks like Turay is going to be asked to take on quite an amount of snaps. Probably more than we envisaged given he is a raw/developmental player. Hopefully he can produce as he has a high ceiling.

But gosh we are so young on D.

21 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Chris Ballard has shown a tremendous amount of faith in Tarell Basham to eventually  start producing. Delaire and Simon both outplayed him in August by a clear margin and they got cut. The regular season starts in a few days and this year he is back in his familiar base 4-3 DE.  He has no excuses now, its time for him to step up and repay the trust Chris has shown in him.

Also, looking at the guys at the right d-end spot, it looks like Turay is going to be asked to take on quite an amount of snaps. Probably more than we envisaged given he is a raw/developmental player. Hopefully he can produce as he has a high ceiling.

But gosh we are so young on D.

Turay is going to surprise so people his health is the only thing that concerns me. I don't think the staff thinks of him as a development player. As for Basham there is no GM that tosses in the towel on a kid after one season. He should get a lot of live reps this year which is the best way to learn. 

Muhammad the guy we just signed took Delaire's roster spot. He will be part of the DE rotation too. I'm hoping we can bring Delaire back when Lewis goes to the IR. I liked the guy and would like to see of he could carry his play to the regular season. Ballard has explained why Simon was released 

So this Phillips guy is intriguing - cut from the stacked Jags defensive line.....

Played Tampa 2 under Lovie Smith at Illinois AND his dline coach is now with us. 

Based on Ballards comments about Muhammad I'm guessing both of these guys were on his radar last year but couldn't pull the trigger yet until the 4-3 was implemented!? Just me spitballing.....

Both Phillips and Muhammad have that prototypical size, speed, length and burst they want for a right end....

• Like 1

I dont get why everyone is so up about Delaire. He performed against scrubs. Hes just like caesar rayford a few years ago. As for Simon, he never beat a man one on one. it was always on stunts not to mention he wasn't gonna fit for long at DE. He does not have the speed or bend of freeney and mathis to make up his size.

26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I dont get why everyone is so up about Delaire. He performed against scrubs. Hes just like caesar rayford a few years ago. As for Simon, he never beat a man one on one. it was always on stunts not to mention he wasn't gonna fit for long at DE. He does not have the speed or bend of freeney and mathis to make up his size.

Delaire is very young and has a great amount of potential. When given an opportunity to perform, he did, and he dit it well. Meanwhile, Basham and Turay didn’t show nearly as much against the same “scrubs” and that is a bad message to send to the locker room.

Regardless if Simon couldn’t beat a man one-on-one, he was without a doubt one of the Colts better defenders. He just wasn’t what Ballard was looking for at the RDE position. I understand the rationale for cutting Simon and I’m fine with it, but it doesn’t change the fact that we lost one of our better defensive players today, for a chance at a better tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

2 words for the fans that are concerned/upset......  Ceasar Rayford.

Got it. Any receiver that has a good preseason is a Roy Hall.

Any RB that has a good preseason is a Mike Hart.

and Any DE that has a good preseason is automatically a Caesar Rayford.

There’s absolutely no point in giving these guys a chance to see what their true potential can be. No point at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

Got it. Any receiver that has a good preseason is a Roy Hall.

Any RB that has a good preseason is a Mike Hart.

and Any DE that has a good preseason is automatically a Caesar Rayford.

There’s absolutely no point in giving these guys a chance to see what their true potential can be. No point at all.

Guess not, according to folks above our pay grade.  It's really all we can go on at this point, Ballard and the staff's opinions I mean.

35 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Delaire is very young and has a great amount of potential. When given an opportunity to perform, he did, and he dit it well. Meanwhile, Basham and Turay didn’t show nearly as much against the same “scrubs” and that is a bad message to send to the locker room.

Regardless if Simon couldn’t beat a man one-on-one, he was without a doubt one of the Colts better defenders. He just wasn’t what Ballard was looking for at the RDE position. I understand the rationale for cutting Simon and I’m fine with it, but it doesn’t change the fact that we lost one of our better defensive players today, for a chance at a better tomorrow.

For all we know, we'll put him the practice. I rather see what we have in Basham and Turay before we label them busts. 

Just now, CR91 said:

For all we know, we'll put him the practice. I rather see what we have in Basham and Turay before we label them busts. 

The Cowboys should have waived Demarcus Lawrence after his rookie year. 9 tackles, 0 sacks. Sent him packing to the minor leagues.

:)

Don't see how folks can bash Basham, he's only 24 and has yet to play a full 16 games in the league.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

here's my question, i didn't watch any of the preseason games from start to finish, but IF Simon was getting those stats against 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even 5th stringers, then that dilutes what those numbers mean.  How good was he against the 1s? Not that this matters at this time, hes gone but merely curious is all

11 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

The Cowboys should have waived Demarcus Lawrence after his rookie year. 9 tackles, 0 sacks. Sent him packing to the minor leagues.

Don't see how folks can bash Basham, he's only 24 and has yet to play a full 16 games in the league.

I wish they had.Then we could have signed him lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

Turay is going to surprise so people his health is the only thing that concerns me. I don't think the staff thinks of him as a development player. As for Basham there is no GM that tosses in the towel on a kid after one season. He should get a lot of live reps this year which is the best way to learn. 

Muhammad the guy we just signed took Delaire's roster spot. He will be part of the DE rotation too. I'm hoping we can bring Delaire back when Lewis goes to the IR. I liked the guy and would like to see of he could carry his play to the regular season. Ballard has explained why Simon was released 

I was just watching part of that Cincy preseason game. Man Turay has some serious get off! Muhammad reminds me of Turay in some aspects as well. Going to give this a chance.

12 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

My problem with basham is he has no bend. He has a great bull rush, but in the game versus ravens I saw him routinely flying past the qb instead of bending towards them. I think he has the motor to get there but he has to learn to bend to blow pass the olinemen and get the sack. As for Turay havent seen enough of him yet.

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The funny thing is the old staff wouldnt throw the younsters in the fire, but this new staff will allow us to see what the youngsters are made of