Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opinion: Simon will be back

love the shoe

He's likely gone.  But then what if this speculation is true, do we then cut him when Lewis comes off the list?

Not that it matters to CB, but that would invite an awful lot of "the GM is cutting our better player to coddle one of his draft picks" comments.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yes, we know he left the 3rd game.  But he played a lot into the last game.  He wasn't on the bench hurt.  Geathers has a neck and can play.  Simon has a neck and can play.  

He missed the last 7 games with it last year, and hurt it again.  Next time may not be so fortunate.  We also haven't rolled out the full D scheme, and maybe Eberflus feels he's not a fit for the sub packages, etc...

1 hour ago, love the shoe said:

I think we had to put Lewis on the original 53 to end up putting him on the pup list , if no one picks up Simon I bet he will be back , just a thought

No only players put on the Active/PUP before training camp started can be placed on the Reserve/PUP during the season.  Once a player has practiced, even if only for 1 minute, he is ineligible for the Reserve/PUP. The player must stay on active 53, be released (injury settlement or waive injured) , and/or placed on IR.

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He missed the last 7 games with it last year, and hurt it again.  Next time may not be so fortunate.  We also haven't rolled out the full D scheme, and maybe Eberflus feels he's not a fit for the sub packages, etc...

Yeah, that's a normal cut.  Nobody from the Colts or the media has said anything about an injury concern.  

That's just been spread by the forum to try to explain something they don't otherwise like.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He's likely gone.  But then what if this speculation is true, do we then cut him when Lewis comes off the list?

Not that it matters to CB, but that would invite an awful lot of "the GM is cutting our better player to coddle one of his draft picks" comments.

Yes, it surely would invite those type of comments.    And I know one poster who might wallpaper this site with these type of posts.

By the way,  just because there might be a lot if comments, doesn’t make them right.    Fans are rarely right in these type of situations.   But don’t let that stop you!

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, it surely would invite those type of comments.    And I know one poster who might wallpaper this site with these type of posts.

By the way,  just because there might be a lot if comments, doesn’t make them right.    Fans are rarely right in these type of situations.   But don’t let that stop you!

Nah, in the old days,  there would be a whole herd of those kinds of comments by now, not just later.  

Simon being cut doesn't feel right.  Perhaps there is an injury concern or something that the Colts know about?  I almost hope so because that would actually make some sense. 

Basham and Hines both making the squad smells a little funny too.  Both have been disappointing while a  guy like Simon seemed like he just made plays whenever he was on the field for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Youth and scheme fit have been important to Ballard from the get go.  The only reason they struggled with Simon is he is just so savvy.   I think Ballard would cut his mother if it didn’t fit the plan..and I’m sure he loves his mother. 

Yeah but Ballard's mom didn't start nine games for us with 3 sacks and an interception last season.....Im a little uneasy with 'the plan'  ….what is Simon...28?   We cant use him in a full or part time role...Good vet. Played hard. Fairly productive...      This looks like a mistake

Maybe like Doug says...there's something we don't know about his situation..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I guess Ballard calculated that it was better to admit a mistake with one of his free agent signings from last year than to have to admit he made three more drafting mistakes by potentially cutting Fountain, Basham and Hines.  

Signing Simon was no mistake.  He played well last year.  With the change in defense, there was speculation that he was on the bubble last spring, but appeared to have done well enough at DE to stick.

BTW, who's playing SAM for us?

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Signing Simon was no mistake.  He played well last year.  With the change in defense, there was speculation that he was on the bubble last spring, but appears to have done well enough at DE to stick.

Ugh...I thought better of my last paragraph of that quoted post and edited it out but looks like you caught me before I did that.

Chalk it up to my frustration  and feeling a little uneasy that we are keeping suspect young guys and getting rid of a solid hard working older player like Simon.   That is if 28 is now considered old. 

My guess is Darius Leonard will be the SAM. A 2nd rounder that Ballard appears to have hit on.  Looked good in preseason.  Still have to see how the rookie looks when the bullets are live though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ugh...I thought better of my last paragraph of that quoted post and edited it out but looks like you caught me before I did that.

Chalk it up to my frustration  and feeling a little uneasy that we are keeping suspect young guys and getting rid of a solid hard working older player like Simon.   That is if 28 is now considered old. 

My guess is Darius Leonard will be the SAM. A 2nd rounder that Ballard appears to have hit on.  Looked good in preseason.  Still have to see how the rookie looks when the bullets are live though.

I don't think a SAM will play that much, at least we won't have 3 LBs on the field much.  I assume Leonard and Walker, Jr will see most of the field time between base defense and nickel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Simon being cut doesn't feel right.  Perhaps there is an injury concern or something that the Colts know about?  I almost hope so because that would actually make some sense. 

Basham and Hines both making the squad smells a little funny too.  Both have been disappointing while a  guy like Simon seemed like he just made plays whenever he was on the field for us. 

I’m guessing the injury concern had to be the deciding factor.  We know Ballard is tighter than a frogs...behind.  They probably don’t want to risk having to pay a guy on IR again.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m guessing the injury concern had to be the deciding factor.  We know Ballard is tighter than a frogs...behind.  They probably don’t want to risk having to pay a guy on IR again. 

He is a frugal rascal.  lol

Yes...I could definitely see something like that.  At one point there was speculation that Simon might miss the regular season after sustaining his injury in the preseason but it was later revealed that his injury was not as severe as many feared.   However, maybe there was more to it than the Colts felt comfortable with. 

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Yeah but Ballard's mom didn't start nine games for us with 3 sacks and an interception last season.....Im a little uneasy with 'the plan'  ….what is Simon...28?   We cant use him in a full or part time role...Good vet. Played hard. Fairly productive...      This looks like a mistake

Maybe like Doug says...there's something we don't know about his situation..

I wanted to keep him as well, but there is a precedent here.  Ballard wanted to trade Hankins too because he wasn’t a scheme fit and ended up letting him go.  It may be the injury, but maybe a combination of both. 

Ballards mother cooked and took care of him .  That’s better than 3 sacks, isn’t it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Signing Simon was no mistake.  He played well last year.  With the change in defense, there was speculation that he was on the bubble last spring, but appeared to have done well enough at DE to stick.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I think Leonard is going to play the WILL spot.  I thought Walker was supposed to be the MIKE if healthy, otherwise maybe Skai Moore. SAM... don't know. Najee Goode? Matthew Adams?

We'll soon see.  I wager SAM wont play too often when running sub packages.

• Like 1

I doubt it.  The Colts were looking to trade him based on reports and the only incentive to do something like that would be if you were trying to reduce a contract.  The Colts aren’t in trouble with the cap to need the money and even if they were saving $3 million doesn’t help that much.

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I doubt it.  The Colts were looking to trade him based on reports and the only incentive to do something like that would be if you were trying to reduce a contract.  The Colts aren’t in trouble with the cap to need the money and even if they were saving $3 million doesn’t help that much.

When Ballard asks Irsay to fork over 50-100M in guaranteed $$$ over the next few seasons for free agents that $3M will help pay for it. 
 Simon could have helped us win a game or two this season and that is VERY counter productive.
Let the young guys play. 

I don't like Simon being cut either.  But remember, we 'Stole' him from the Texans by offering a better contract than what the Texans tendered him.  He was 2nd-3rd string to the Texans.  But a starter for us.  If I look at it this way, we need to be bigger, badder, faster.  Not keep stealing bread crumbs from our own divisions kitchen floors.