Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp 8/18/2018 (The Finale)

TKnight24

3 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Wow, didn't think mentioning that would send people into a tizzy.

Relax, nobody's saying they think Luck is done. And in fact I think this sparked a good discussion where it's been concluded that yeah, he's not going to 100% let it rip all day every day in his first few weeks back at TC, and that he has showed instances where he's let it rip.

The good thing about Luck is he doesn't need to have a cannon. The thing about Luck is he's at his best running the hurry up or no huddle. The dude is a very cerebral player. He might come off as a awe shucks guy but he's super smart. He's also one tough butt dude playing the QB position. We may see a much improved Luck. Especially with a staff coaching to his strength.

1 minute ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I'm with you here. I don't think we've seen the best of Luck yet.

People seem to forget Manning's early years. He became much more savvy later in his career. Taking less hits and getting rid of the ball. Throwing it away when it wasn't there. I see Luck taking that next step also. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

People seem to forget Manning's early years. He became much more savvy later in his career. Taking less hits and getting rid of the ball. Throwing it away when it wasn't there. I see Luck taking that next step also. 

I bet people never complained about the zip on Manning's passes despite the fact that he threw a really ugly ball a lot of times. It just always got to where it needed to be, which is all that counts.

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I bet people never complained about the zip on Manning's passes despite the fact that he threw a really ugly ball a lot of times. It just always got to where it needed to be, which is all that counts.

The only time I recall it happening was his post-Colts days. We were (mostly) happy with his performances in the day. 

26 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Peyton in his prime had an underrated arm. He threw a beautiful ball with zip and a quick throwing motion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You never knew what kind of throw Manning would make. He would throw a bullet one time and then a wobbly pass the next. He learned to have the 'touch' pretty quick and his accuracy at times was uncanny.

His happy feet days used to drive me nuts lol. As good as he was he forced a lot of stuff early on. He became much better. One minute he could drive me nuts, next minute I wanted to plant a man kiss on him lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I haven't said this because I don't wanna seem too reactionary, and let's face it for fear of backlash, but I kinda do think his passes have lacked a certain zip. And it almost seems like his form is I don't know, going in slow motion.

Small sample size and all, I know. And there have been some passes, mostly in videos from camp, that have some power behind them. But for some reason it just looks to me like he's holding back or something.

Rick covered this awhile back on Dakich.  He said when you see both JB and Luck throw it looks like JB rockets the ball out of his arm much quicker than Luck but in reality Luck just makes it look more effortless even though the ball speed is pretty much the same. 

I remember even watching a couple videos and Lucks release was much less effortless than JB.  JB's was slightly less behind Luck's throwing motion and looks like he used much more arm strength and both the balls had around the same velocity.  This being said I really don't even think we have seen Luck's throwing potential yet. 

Yeah, kind of crappy footage but it's out there to observe and I by no means know what the $()@0 I'm talking about however.  

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was 1 pass and he is still going to have passes like that, he hasn't played in a Regular Season game since December of 2016. Actually if we put a microscope on every QB in the league, I bet even Aaron Rodgers has had some bad passes in Camp just from being rusty coming off his injury. Andrew looks Great to me, Camp has been going on all month and I haven't heard 1 negative thing about Andrew until now. 

Yep, all QBs have multiple passes like that all the time.  We deep deep balls all the time in pretty much every game where wide receivers have to slow down to catch the ball.  Even if it's for a split second, or even a couple seconds for a jump ball.  

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really haven't noticed that much of a drop off in his zip, maybe a little but that should be expected. He is still technically working his way back to true game play after not playing since December 2016. 

Yep, that 17 yard pass to Doyle at 1:34 and even the out of bounds zip at 15 seconds (lost the camera) and others looks to have the same amount of zip as any Brady pass.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stitches said:

I listened to a podcast with Greg Cosell and he said he's heard Luck hasn't looked good in training camp. If it was someone random, I wouldn't bat an eye, but Cosell is not one to throw random stuff like that for attention and he has some good connections in the league. Does anyone know what he might be meaning with that and in what way is Luck not looking good? Is it lack of zip on the ball? is it lack of long passes? Or something else? 

Remember Luck worked on the dynamics and his throwing motion and I think this has been the biggest focus as of now. I don't doubt there is going to some rust to knock off. That being said the film shows theres plenty of zip there and I am sure we will see more zip as the real games come along. 

On 8/18/2018 at 1:41 PM, GusFring said:

I don't know how many he's thrown this camp, but it seems like too many vs this defense. 

He has thrown 8 INT’s total during camp per the ColtsCamp Notebook, Day 18 article on Colts.com.  That includes the joint practices with the Ravens.  He also is estimated to have thrown about 22 TD’s.