Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can the Colts win Now ?

coltsfeva

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There’s no part of me that thinks we will be bad.    Seriously.    But I think there’s a better than 50/50 chance that we might get schooled once or twice  this season.   

New inexperienced coaching staff (which I like at this point) plus young inexperienced players is a recipe for a few games getting out of hand.   We might get spanked once or twice.   But I hope we all feel good by the end of the season.    

I know, if I remember right you were saying we look like an 8-8 team a while back that was after the Draft and Free Agency (with Luck). 8-8 compared to 4-12 is much better. I am sure there will be 2 or 3 games that can turn ugly on us. Like at Philly and at NE. I want to see how we play the Jags with Luck back, that will be real interesting.

5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Personally, I dont feel it wasn't one of the worst play calls in NFL history. It may have been one of the worst executed play calls, but even that is a stretch. Perhaps you dont know of a time when a player ran the wrong direction into the end zone?

However, it may have been one of the worst calls in your era....

Lucas Oil Stadium? :D

Player running into the wrong end zone or Orlovsky I think it was stepping on the back end zone line for a safety are plays. Not playcalls 

Colts lining up with 2 ppl in the middle of the field with everyone else on the sidelines and actually hiking the ball is one of the worst playcalls and plays ever 

With a unexperienced, first time head coach, unexperienced  first time offensive coordinator, unexperienced first time defensive coordinator? Factor that in with all the first year players and rookies we will likely have starting. It doesn't look like very good odds to be winning now.  We will win a few games but not playoff bound. I will be happy with a 7-9 team this year. Our division isn't a cakewalk like it use to be. 

44 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

With a unexperienced, first time head coach, unexperienced  first time offensive coordinator, unexperienced first time defensive coordinator? Factor that in with all the first year players and rookies we will likely have starting. It doesn't look like very good odds to be winning now.  We will win a few games but not playoff bound. I will be happy with a 7-9 team this year. Our division isn't a cakewalk like it use to be. 

Maybe the coaching staff is inexperienced, in terms of their current positions, but if I remember correctly, Ballard had a say in who’s here now. 

I trust that they are qualified to lead and teach. 

While it’s true there will be some growing pains, you failed to mention some positives that could overcome some of the inexperience:

Offensively, the only rookie starting will be Nelson (unless several others such as Smith, Cain, Hines and Wilkins earn starting spots by beating out experienced players).

Defensively, there are question marks but to assume they won’t be improved is to me, less realistic than seeing the possibility that they will, given they’ve added talent in FA, the draft and returning players that could flourish in the new scheme. 

Special teams were decent last year and may improve as well. Sanchez has proven to be a solid punter/ kicker and Vinatieri could end up as the GOAT.

Ballard has really done a good job so far and I don’t think he’s done yet. 

I’d be disappointed with 7-9. The coaches and players are expecting to make the playoffs and I don’t consider them delusional.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was talking about the 2012 team which you were noting had very little talent.

And I agreed.    But they made the playoffs because those vets who weren't very good played hard and made fewer mistakes.

That's how a less talented team made the post-season.

More like because Lucks 6 comeback victories. I get where youre coming from, but that 2012 was successful mostly because of Luck. If that was Collins or Painter for another year, it would have been another bad year.

It is pretty much a blank canvas where we can make our own story, that is how I look at it.

A .500 season would frankly not be a disappointment on the heels of last year but I do not see any reason to hold us back from exceeding .500 for a 10-6 season. However, a .500 season is the floor for my expectations, if you were wondering, and I think is a fair one given the talent assembled and the extrapolated return to health of Luck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

More like because Lucks 6 comeback victories. I get where youre coming from, but that 2012 was successful mostly because of Luck. If that was Collins or Painter for another year, it would have been another bad year.

Yeah....   I’ve heard of Luck...    I’m told he’s pretty good.

I wasn’t trying to imply that the veterans were responsible for the Colts making the playoffs.   We all know Andrew is the reason.

But the team also succeeded because the veterans played solid football and made fewer mistakes than a number of rookies might have.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah....   I’ve heard if Luck...    I’m told he’s pretty good.

i wasn’t trying to imply that the veterans were responsible for the Colts making the playoffs.   We all know Andrew is the reason.

But the team also succeeded because the veterans played solid football and made fewer mistakes than a number of rookies might have.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Atleast this time around, we actually have pieces to grow instead of just signing vets just to savage a team imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would probably say as of now, this fits each category for someone's prediction:

6-10 = People think we will suck again. Luck may even get injured again or be rusty most of the season. Our Defense will be Bad again. Reich won't do a Good job, etc..

7-9 = People thinking we are still Bad and wont win the close games but will show improvement. 

8-8 = Reasonable and a safe way of thinking, it is probable this happens.

9-7 = Reasonable but just being more optimistic and thinking Luck will play all 16 games and be 100% + the Defense and O.Line will be better. The new system under Reich will benefit the team.

10-6 = A Stretch, alot of things will have to go our way like I mentioned in the 9-7 category. We need more breaks to win 10 though, not as many to go 9-7.

11-5 = A huge stretch and everything right has to go our way.

I'm fairly optimistic as long as Luck is healthy.  Especially if the offense is good as a I think it can be.  I remember the Falcons rolled all the way to the SuperBowl with a defense full of youth that was crappy for most of the year and a high octane offense that had parts similar to the ones we've got outside of Julio Jones.  I'm not predicting that for us but I do think we have good enough parts to beat anybody in this division more than once for sure.  We've got good enough parts to make it to the playoffs I feel.  I'm sure somebodies got their arms folded over my comments but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 3

I mean in reality I wouldn't bet everything I owned on them hoisting the trophy at the end, but I don't think it's totally crazy to think they have a solid winning season. 

It truly is a guessing game at this point though.

Our coaching is a huge wildcard in how we do also.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Colts lining up with 2 ppl in the middle of the field with everyone else on the sidelines and actually hiking the ball is one of the worst playcalls and plays ever 

So you actually think that the play was called exactly way it went down? Really? If you do...there really is no discussion. 

+

There are a few things that negative outlooks are overlooking....

First - we began the defensive transition a year ago with personnel.  Yes, our LB's are young and unproven but we have enough experienced personnel to run Ballard's 4-3.  The core of our current defense was competent enough to win 8 games last year if we could have scored a little easier.  That same core returns and is better suited to the new scheme with young talent specifically selected for it.  I don't like the scheme...but that's got nothing to do with it.

Second - we'll score easier this year.  We'll have an offensive identity and game specific planning.  Luck or no Luck.

Third - The OL is going to be pretty darn good.  We'll run the ball well.

It would be easy to hedge on all of our unknowns, but that posture overlooks that the foundation to win 6-8 games is already in place without Luck and Luck will add to that.  We're a 10 win team already.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

People keep saying that...   over and over...    we are more talented than the 2012 team...

But here’s the problem with that...

Yes, this team has more raw talent, but it’s so young and so inexperienced....  these kids are going to make lots of mistakes that the veterans didn’t.   That’s what young kids do in game conditions.   They make mistakes under pressure. 

Just saying the Colts are more talented is an over-simplification.   Because when push comes to shove our kids will make mistakes.   That’s what they do...

i think our skill positions were better back then

we dont really have anyone now that makes up for losing reggie wayne, while  ty, allen, fleener, and ballard all had solid rookies seasons 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Savage said:

I watched Andrew Luck win a lot of games basically all on his own. He actually has talent around him, a great GM, and a coach that knows what the hell he's doing.

Yes, the Colts can win now.

I hope you’re right about Reich... and if you are it would be nice to have a good head coach for 10 years. Sick of this change of HCing. I guess Dungy spoiled me. 

37 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think our skill positions were better back then

we dont really have anyone now that makes up for losing reggie wayne, while  ty, allen, fleener, and ballard all had solid rookies seasons 

I don't know if I agree.  We've got a way better and more experienced TY than we had back then. I don't believe that young Allen and Fleener combo will be better than Doyle and Ebron, plus I like the talent behind them in Swoope and Ross Travis.  Then at the other WR positions you've got Chester Rogers, Ryan Grant and young but unproven talent in Cain and Fountain.  Grants got really good hands as a possession receiver and Chester can stretch deep, go short and intermediate.  Not to mention what can be done with our RBs (like Hines) in the passing game. We got personnel to play a variety of different ways instead of just slinging it deep all the time.

Also  I think this 2018 team should also be a much better blocking team for Luck and I think we've got better talent at RB in the running game than that old team.  Plus with this team we have a much more experienced Luck.   It remains to be seen but so far at least in theory I like this team better than that old team.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't know if I agree.  We've got a way better and more experienced TY than we had back then. I don't believe that young Allen and Fleener combo will be better than Doyle and Ebron, plus I like the talent behind them in Swoope and Ross Travis.  Then at the other WR positions you've got Chester Rogers, Ryan Grant and young but unproven talent in Cain and Fountain.  Grants got really good hands as a possession receiver and Chester can stretch deep, go short and intermediate.  Not to mention what can be done with our RBs (like Hines) in the passing game. We got personnel to play a variety of different ways instead of just slinging it deep all the time.

Also  I think this 2018 team should also be a much better blocking team for Luck and I think we've got better talent at RB in the running game than that old team.  Plus with this team we have a much more experienced Luck.   It remains to be seen but so far at least in theory I like this team better than that old team.

well ty did have a good rookies season with 850 yards and 7 tds.  reggie had a great year with 1300 yards

the TEs are probably better now.

both teams rolled with unproven running backs, i remember vick ballard having a nice rookie year 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

well ty did have a good rookies season with 850 yards and 7 tds.  reggie had a great year with 1300 yards

the TEs are probably better now.

both teams rolled with unproven running backs, i remember vick ballard having a nice rookie year 

Yeah Vick had a good year and I hate that his career got cut short by injury.  I just think this 2018 team is more than just one guy in the backfield potentially.   That old team basically just had Vick Ballard and at times Donald Brown.  We'll see how things shake out.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't mind optimism.    But within reason.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade,  all I'm looking for is some level of reality.

People like to play ths game.....     "Well anything can happen!    It's possible."

Sure.   I get it.    Anything can happen.    And it sometimes does.    Anything is possible.    It's why we all love sports.

But it it probable?     Is it likely?     Is it realistic?      No, it's not.

I want everyone here to enjoy the season even if we finish under 500.     I want people to enjoy the return of Luck.   The improvement of the rookies and other young players.   The growth of the team from September to December.    I want us all to have fun!    There was far too little of that last year.    I just want people to be reasonable and fair.   Success is hard to come by.   I'm expecting us to have a fair amout of success,  but perhaps not a lot,  and not as much as some might believe.

Fun is for children!  :)  Andrew Luck has never had a losing season to my knowledge.  Indeed, he's been a winning QB with a sub-par O-line, front office, defense, coordinators and HC.  My observation is if Andrew is full go, this team should be expected to win 10 games.  I have no qualms about putting that out there.  Do I have concerns about certain positions? Of course I do, but setting a low bar in fear of disappointment isn't what our culture should be about, even as fans.  To me, this isn't a re-build, I expect us to make the playoffs and to be a threat, do I expect us to win the SB, no, do I expect us to be a contender....most definitely! 

• Like 1

Its going to hinge in my opinion on the inside linebacking and cornerbacks if we have a winning season. I think our line will be MUCH improved and at least in the middle of the league, our running game should be fun and exciting with lots of promise. Our tight ends are solid too.

I think we will have a very decent pass rush from lots of different players and we are solid at safety.

All this hinges on injuries but ILB and CB could be the most worrisome 

The Colts were 24th in time of possession last year. They were 30th in points scored. The offense was predictable and boring.

I expect both rankings to improve due to Luck, the Oline, some new weapons and better play calling. 

IF the offense can move the ball and chew up clock (Philadelphia was #1 in time of possession under Pederson/ Reich), the defense will be able to rest.

And again, the Special teams should  be better as well.

• 5 months later...
On 7/18/2018 at 3:21 PM, Rally5 said:

Fun is for children!  :)  Andrew Luck has never had a losing season to my knowledge.  Indeed, he's been a winning QB with a sub-par O-line, front office, defense, coordinators and HC.  My observation is if Andrew is full go, this team should be expected to win 10 games.  I have no qualms about putting that out there.  Do I have concerns about certain positions? Of course I do, but setting a low bar in fear of disappointment isn't what our culture should be about, even as fans.  To me, this isn't a re-build, I expect us to make the playoffs and to be a threat, do I expect us to win the SB, no, do I expect us to be a contender....most definitely! 

I just felt a moral obligation to re-post.  LET'S GO!!!!!

• Like 2