Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can the Colts win Now ?

coltsfeva

Interview from NFL Network with Reggie and Shawn O’Hara.

Who do you think is more realistic, Reggie or Shawn ?

IMO there are so many question marks including health,  but can the team truly be assessed without knowing Luck’s health, who starts where on both sides of the ball ir even the final 53.

The simple answer is: of course, they CAN make the playoffs (the same could probably be said for all teams) but whether they will or not is anybody’s guess. 

I have sort of a tempered optimism about this year, not just because of Luck’s health but for the return of guys like Kelly, Mewhort, Hooker, Geathers and Swoope and the FA, draft and coaching additions/changes. 

GO COLTS!!!

Yes, they can win now. It’s a QB driven league, and the Colts have one of the best QB’s in the NFL 

What bothered me seeing that video was Reggie backing down at the end when he brought up the “lack” of pass rush the Colts have. Colts had numerous pressures last season, with Sheard I believe leading the way. Just didn’t sack the QB as much. The rush is there, just have to finish

The new defense should fix that issue. No more Sheard running in coverage down the sideline with Delanie Walker 

People really just turn a blind eye to the fact the Colts lead at halftime in a lot of games. Brissett and the offense just couldn’t finish. That won’t be the case with Andrew Luck at the helm 

:coltshelmet:

:rantoff:

• Like 7

Our schedule really doesn't help.  It seems like the toughest one we've had in years.  I love the optimism, but every year fans think they have the best roster in the league, and that their team made all the right moves.  I love the new OL, and the possibility of a healthy Luck, but I think we need to concentrate on beating the Jags. 

15 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

Our schedule really doesn't help.  It seems like the toughest one we've had in years.  I love the optimism, but every year fans think they have the best roster in the league, and that their team made all the right moves.  I love the new OL, and the possibility of a healthy Luck, but I think we need to concentrate on beating the Jags. 

I don’t think the schedule is tough. Aside from the NFC East and the Patriots game that the Colts have never beaten since drafting Andrew Luck and have made themselves infamous for one of the worst playcalls in NFL history against the Patriots 

Other than that, schedule is pretty solid. Luck has never lost to Tennessee btw

42 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

I thought it was rated the 6th easiest schedule?

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

The talent on the team currently is no more or less talented then the three playoff teams Luck put on his back so I don't see why not

People keep saying that...   over and over...    we are more talented than the 2012 team...

But here’s the problem with that...

Yes, this team has more raw talent, but it’s so young and so inexperienced....  these kids are going to make lots of mistakes that the veterans didn’t.   That’s what young kids do in game conditions.   They make mistakes under pressure. 

Just saying the Colts are more talented is an over-simplification.   Because when push comes to shove our kids will make mistakes.   That’s what they do...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Interview from NFL Network with Reggie and Shawn O’Hara.

Who do you think is more realistic, Reggie or Shawn ?

IMO there are so many question marks including health,  but can the team truly be assessed without knowing Luck’s health, who starts where on both sides of the ball ir even the final 53.

The simple answer is: of course, they CAN make the playoffs (the same could probably be said for all teams) but whether they will or not is anybody’s guess. 

I have sort of a tempered optimism about this year, not just because of Luck’s health but for the return of guys like Kelly, Mewhort, Hooker, Geathers and Swoope and the FA, draft and coaching additions/changes. 

GO COLTS!!!

I agree!!!

1 hour ago, Savage said:

I watched Andrew Luck win a lot of games basically all on his own. He actually has talent around him, a great GM, and a coach that knows what the hell he's doing.

Yes, the Colts can win now.

I could not agree more. Thank you I've been saying the same thing. 

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Yes, they can win now. It’s a QB driven league, and the Colts have one of the best QB’s in the NFL 

What bothered me seeing that video was Reggie backing down at the end when he brought up the “lack” of pass rush the Colts have. Colts had numerous pressures last season, with Sheard I believe leading the way. Just didn’t sack the QB as much. The rush is there, just have to finish

The new defense should fix that issue. No more Sheard running in coverage down the sideline with Delanie Walker 

People really just turn a blind eye to the fact the Colts lead at halftime in a lot of games. Brissett and the offense just couldn’t finish. That won’t be the case with Andrew Luck at the helm 

:coltshelmet:

:rantoff:

Yes and a much better o-line and a much better offensive scheme. 

• Like 1

When I look back at what the Eagles did after Chip Kelly gutted the team, when he showed

up at Philly, I never thought the Eagles would recover as quickly as they did. To me it shows that it can be done. Maybe sometimes it is darkest before the dawn of a new era. Hopefully we can restart building our swagger this year and add more pieces to the puzzle next year.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

People kerp saying that...   over and over...    we are more talented than the 2012 team...

Yes, this team has more raw talent, but it’s so young and so inexperienced....  these kids are going to make lots of mistakes that the veterans didn’t.   That’s what young kids do in game conditions.   They make mistakes under pressure. 

Just saying the Colts are more talented is an over-simplification.   Because when push comes to shove our kids will make mistakes.   That’s what they do...

Of course, but the 2012 team was basically rookies starting everywhere

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

People kerp saying that...   over and over...    we are more talented than the 2012 team...

Rookie Mistakes > Veterans just flat out stinking up the joint 

• Like 1

It really just comes down to Andrew Luck's health whether or not we can win now. The Defense will be better (it can't be worse than last year) because it was real Bad last year so that will even be a boost. On paper the O.Line looks better as well.  Yeah there is more to a team than just a QB as Nick Foles proved last year but in our case Luck covers up so many deficiency's we have overall. Last season we were 4-12 but had leads in 6 of our losses in the 2nd Half. Brissett is a Good backup but lets face it he isn't Luck and isn't the finisher Luck is. We may have won all 6 of those games we lost and we had Luck healthy? At least 4 or 5 anyway as he has finished so many close games in his career. 9-7 is doable with a Wildcard spot if Luck is 100%. I will stick to that prediction for now. Luck is worth 5 wins or so IMO.

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It really just comes down to Andrew Luck's health whether or not we can win now. The Defense will be better (it can't be worse than last year) because it was real Bad last year so that will even be a boost. On paper the O.Line looks better as well.  Yeah there is more to a team than just a QB as Nick Foles proved last year but in our case Luck covers up so many deficiency's we have overall. Last season we were 4-12 but had leads in 6 of our losses in the 2nd Half. Brissett is a Good backup but lets face it he isn't Luck and isn't the finisher Luck is. We may have won all 6 of those games we lost and we had Luck healthy? At least 4 or 5 anyway as he has finished so many close games in his career. 9-7 is doable with a Wildcard spot if Luck is 100%. I will stick to that prediction for now. Luck is worth 5 wins or so IMO.

First,  the issue isn’t Lucks health.   I’m assuming Luck will be 100 percent healthy.

The issue — and it’s big — is that Luck has no experience in this offense.   No practice time with his teammates.  What he’s doing now barely scratches the surface of what Luck needs.   Practice is important and Luck is not going to get enough of it by early September.

And once camp opens, Luck has already said he’s going to be on a limited pitch count.   He’s going to be so rusty, it’s going to impact him considerably.    Limited practice time and limited throws should be a red flag warning not to expect too much this season.

I expect Luck and the team to start slowly and to get better as the season progresses.   But all this talk of Luck leading us to the playoffs because he did it before is misguided optimism.

If Ballard thought he had a playoff caliber team, or even close, don’t you think he’d be signing veterans to help make it happen?   That’s why he’s talking about using free agency a year or two from now and building with the draft.   The tea leaves aren’t hard to read if you know what to look for.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

On offense.

Not on defense.  That side of ball was all veterans.

that defense didnt exactly have a lot of talent. you had freeney and mathis playing LB for the first time in their career, the dline consist of moala and antiono johnson, davis was hurt and/or inconsistent and powers was meh not to mention justin king and cassius vaughn werent any better, and lets not forget the great tom zibowski ugh

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fir ne the issue isn’t Lucks health.   I’m assuming Luck will be 100 percent healthy.

The issue — and it’s big — is that Luck has no experience in this offense.   No practice time with his teammates.  What he’s doing nice barely scratches the surface of what Luck needs.   Practice is important and Kuck is not going to get enough if it by early September.

And once camp opens, Luck has already said he’s going to be on a limited pitch count.   He’s going to be so rusty, it’s going to impact him considerably.    Limited practice time and limited throws should be a red flag warning not to expect too much this season.

I expect Luck and the team to start slowly and to get better as the season progresses.   But all this talk of Luck leading us to the playoffs because he did it before is misguided optimism.

If Ballard thought he had a playoff caliber team, or even close, don’t you think he’d be signing veterans to help make it happen?   That’s why he’s talking about using free agency a year or two from now and building with the draft.   The tea leaves aren’t hard to read if you know what to look for.

I still don't think 9 wins is far fetched. We were in alot of games last year and the team was weaker on paper. I know what you are saying though regarding Reps in a new Offense and Team Chemistry. They are very important for a QB and his WR's. Great thing is Luck and TY should have great chemistry anyway because they have played together for a long time (I know it will be a different Offense but still). This season will be interesting to say the least. Predicting a record is really tough to do because we could be a team that still makes alot of mistakes and loses the close games that goes 6-10 or a team that wins the close games, Luck gets rid of rust and we go 10-6. It is just a matter of what someone may think will happen. I lean toward 9-7/8-8 at worse. I just think the Luck factor will be huge and I also think our Defense and O.Line will better as well.

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

Yes and a much better o-line and a much better offensive scheme. 

This is the key I think. If the o-line plays well and we can run the ball, that fixes a lot of flaws. It protects Andrew, and it keeps our D off the field. Last season the D just didn't have enough depth and when the offense kept going three and out, they just wore down by the end of the game. 9-7 is not out of the question. 

• Like 1

The simple answer is yes they can.   The tougher question is will they?  This team has a lot of unknowns, starting with the QB.  To me this team is a roll of the dice.  If they are what many analysts think they are then they could thud and finish similar to last season.  If many things go right, they could find themselves back in the playoffs.  My bet would be somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

The simple answer is yes they can.   The tougher question is will they?  This team has a lot of unknowns, starting with the QB.  To me this team is a roll of the dice.  If they are what many analysts think they are then they could thud and finish similar to last season.  If many things go right, they could find themselves back in the playoffs.  My bet would be somewhere in the middle.

That is why the easy/safe answer to a prediction is 8-8. Nobody really knows how good we will be? I am more optimistic than most so I will say 9-7. Although I have seen a few on here say 11-5. I am not that bold. My 9-7 may change after Pre-Season but for now 9-7 is possible. After Pre-Season is over we should have a better feel for how we may be.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

misguided optimism.

Optimism, sir, no matter how unrealistic, is never misguided.

Will the Browns win the Super Bowl this year?  No.  But should Browns fans still be optimistic that they can and WILL win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR?  Yes.  A thousand times, yes.

Can the Colts win the Super Bowl this year?  Sure.  Should Colts fans be optimistic about 2018 since a less-experienced Luck got an arguably less talented 2012 team into the playoffs his rookie year?  Yes.  A Million Times, Yes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Will the Browns win the Super Bowl this year?  No.  But should Browns fans still be optimistic that they can and WILL win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR?  Yes.  A thousand times, yes.

Can the Colts win the Super Bowl this year?  Sure.  Should Colts fans be optimistic about 2018 since a less-experienced Luck got an arguably less talented 2012 team into the playoffs his rookie year?  Yes.  A Million Times, Yes.

This I agree with. I just don't think we are as Bad as people think coming into this season. I don't think we can win the SB this year but I agree with your point. We could go from 4-12 to 9-7 with our Star QB back and a better Defense. That isn't even a huge jump like we had in 2012 when we went 11-5 from 2-14.

6 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Aside from the NFC East and the Patriots game that the Colts have never beaten since drafting Andrew Luck and have made themselves infamous for one of the worst playcalls in NFL history against the Patriots 

Personally, I dont feel it wasn't one of the worst play calls in NFL history. It may have been one of the worst executed play calls, but even that is a stretch. Perhaps you dont know of a time when a player ran the wrong direction into the end zone?

However, it may have been one of the worst calls in your era....

7 hours ago, Douzer said:

If they can win at the LOS, yes!

Lucas Oil Stadium? :D

• Thanks 1

A healthy Luck gives you a chance to win a lot of games. A healthy Luck probably doesn't give you a chance against the best of the best if the rest of the team in not up to par. If we are bottom 5 defense again, it's hard to imagine this team being a serious contender, even if we think they can be great on offense(which I do - I think both the O-Line and the offense as a whole can easily be top 10 units in the league). 

I'm relatively optimistic for this season compared to national media, but I am not as optimistic as most fans. I think a season between 7 and 9 wins is most likely and I would consider this a good step forward with this young team and a good stepping stone for next year, adding another batch of draft picks and hopefully Ballard will consider the team ready to add some higher end talent in FA, too..

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

that defense didnt exactly have a lot of talent. you had freeney and mathis playing LB for the first time in their career, the dline consist of moala and antiono johnson, davis was hurt and/or inconsistent and powers was meh not to mention justin king and cassius vaughn werent any better, and lets not forget the great tom zibowski ugh

I don't know if you realize this,  but you're making MY argument,  not yours.

Those 3 playoff teams had Vonte, and Robert and Redding and not much else.    But they were OK veterans.    So, how'd they do OK?     Because decent veterans make fewer mistakes than a boat load of rookies.     Rookies make mistakes.   Lots of them.    That why NFL executives tell you that the biggest jump a young player makes is from Year 1 to Year 2.    Thoes guys are no longer rookies and they have training by fire.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I don't mind optimism.    But within reason.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade,  all I'm looking for is some level of reality.

People like to play ths game.....     "Well anything can happen!    It's possible."

Sure.   I get it.    Anything can happen.    And it sometimes does.    Anything is possible.    It's why we all love sports.

But it it probable?     Is it likely?     Is it realistic?      No, it's not.

I want everyone here to enjoy the season even if we finish under 500.     I want people to enjoy the return of Luck.   The improvement of the rookies and other young players.   The growth of the team from September to December.    I want us all to have fun!    There was far too little of that last year.    I just want people to be reasonable and fair.   Success is hard to come by.   I'm expecting us to have a fair amout of success,  but perhaps not a lot,  and not as much as some might believe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't mind optimism.    But within reason.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade,  all I'm looking for is some level of reality.

People like to play ths game.....     "Well anything can happen!    It's possible."

Sure.   I get it.    Anything can happen.    And it sometimes does.    Anything is possible.    It's why we all love sports.

But it it probable?     Is it likely?     Is it realistic?      No, it's not.

I want everyone here to enjoy the season even if we finish under 500.     I want people to enjoy the return of Luck.   The improvement of the rookies and other young players.   The growth of the team from September to December.    I want us all to have fun!    There was far too little of that last year.    I just want people to be reasonable and fair.   Success is hard to come by.   I'm expecting us to have a fair amout of success,  but perhaps not a lot,  and not as much as some might believe.

Let me ask you this, what is within reason in your opinion? I think 9 wins is within reason if Luck is healthy and us possibly squeezing into the Playoffs. If someone said we are winning the SB or going 13-3, that is obviously not LOL. Just asking, I liked your Post as it has fair points but do you think 9-7 is a huge stretch? To me 11-5 is a huge stretch but not 9-7. Even if we go 8-8 but Luck looks like old Luck, I would be ok with it as a I understand we aren't a SB contender right now. That would look really solid going into 2019. Ballard will probably go all out in Free Agency in 2019 if Luck is 100%.

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know if you realize this,  but you're making MY argument,  not yours.

Those 3 playoff teams had Vonte, and Robert and Redding and not much else.    But they were OK veterans.    So, how'd they do OK?     Because decent veterans make fewer mistakes than a boat load of rookies.     Rookies make mistakes.   Lots of them.    That why NFL executives tell you that the biggest jump a young player makes is from Year 1 to Year 2.    Thoes guys are no longer rookies and they have training by fire.

Not exactly. This team actually has a good mix of young players and vets. Nelson and kelly have AC slauson and howard. Basham and Turay have sheard and Simon. LBers and secondary are young yes, but overall this team compared to the other teams are rather the same talent wise. Just more younger

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Let me ask you this, what is within reason in your opinion? I think 9 wins is within reason if Luck is healthy and us possibly squeezing into the Playoffs. If someone said we are winning the SB or going 13-3, that is obviously not LOL. Just asking, I liked your Post as it has fair points but do you think 9-7 is a huge stretch? To me 11-5 is a huge stretch but not 9-7. Even if we go 8-8 but Luck looks like old Luck, I would be ok with it as a I understand we aren't a SB contender right now. That would look really solid going into 2019. Ballard will probably go all out in Free Agency in 2019 if Luck is 100%.

Fair question....

I think 9-7 is possible,   I just don't think it's likely.

But I think 9-7 AND making the playoffs is extremely unlikely.    Some teams go 10-6 and don't make the playoffs,  so I'm not expecting any team to go 9-7 and sneak into the post-season.

I wouldn't dog someone whose prediction is 9-7.    My own is 8-8,  just one fewer win.    I think it would be ridiculous to split hairs over one win.    It's clearly possible.    

But the playoffs are another animal.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not exactly. This team actually has a good mix of young players and vets. Nelson and kelly have AC slauson and howard. Basham and Turay have sheard and Simon. LBers and secondary are young yes, but overall this team compared to the other teams are rather the same talent wise. Just more younger

I was talking about the 2012 team which you were noting had very little talent.

And I agreed.    But they made the playoffs because those vets who weren't very good played hard and made fewer mistakes.

That's how a less talented team made the post-season.

I would probably say as of now, this fits each category for someone's prediction:

6-10 = People think we will suck again. Luck may even get injured again or be rusty most of the season. Our Defense will be Bad again. Reich won't do a Good job, etc..

7-9 = People thinking we are still Bad and wont win the close games but will show improvement. 

8-8 = Reasonable and a safe way of thinking, it is probable this happens.

9-7 = Reasonable but just being more optimistic and thinking Luck will play all 16 games and be 100% + the Defense and O.Line will be better. The new system under Reich will benefit the team.

10-6 = A Stretch, alot of things will have to go our way like I mentioned in the 9-7 category. We need more breaks to win 10 though, not as many to go 9-7.

11-5 = A huge stretch and everything right has to go our way.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fair question....

I think 9-7 is possible,   I just don't think it's likely.

But I think 9-7 AND making the playoffs is extremely unlikely.    Some teams go 10-6 and don't make the playoffs,  so I'm not expecting any team to go 9-7 and sneak into the post-season.

I wouldn't dog someone whose prediction is 9-7.    My own is 8-8,  just one fewer win.    I think it would be ridiculous to split hairs over one win.    It's clearly possible.    

But the playoffs are another animal.

Yeah making the Playoffs at 9-7 is a 50/50 thing. Some teams do, some teams don't. Usually 10-6 gets you in but that doesn't always either. 8-8 is very fair on your part as you at least don't think we will be Bad.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah making the Playoffs at 9-7 is a 50/50 thing. Some teams do, some teams don't. Usually 10-6 gets you in but that doesn't always either. 8-8 is very fair on your part as you at least don't think we will be Bad.

There’s no part of me that thinks we will be bad.    Seriously.    But I think there’s a better than 50/50 chance that we might get schooled once or twice  this season.   

New inexperienced coaching staff (which I like at this point) plus young inexperienced players is a recipe for a few games getting out of hand.   We might get spanked once or twice.   But I hope we all feel good by the end of the season.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1