Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are there any certain players returning on D that you think will struggle in the 4-3?

RockThatBlue

5 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Any players?

I'm intrigued to see how John Simon and Sheard will fit in.

Sheard has played DE in a 4-3 scheme and imo, Simon seems to be a good fit at SSLB.

I believe Anderson will have some trouble transitioning as he really seems a better fit as an edge in a 3-4 front,  I do hope he surprises me though and of course stays healthy.

• Like 3

When we first decided to switch I immediately thought that's bad news for Henry Anderson. But the article about him losing weight and feeling better at that size makes me feel a little better. Love his talent, would hate to see it go to waste. That being said, I think Woods will sadly struggle the most. 

As it stands now, with the addition of 9 draft picks in a couple weeks, we'll have 3 open slots on the 90 man roster for additional FA's or UDFA's......

So that means there are still some cuts to be made.

Woods has Grover Stewart behind him....

Hunt has Haasan Ridgeway behind him....

Anderson may make a decent UT in this system PLUS he has 1 year remaining on a cheap rookie contract....

There are about 11 receivers and 7 tightends that some fat could be trimmed off to keep the above defensive lineman.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Any players?

I'm intrigued to see how John Simon and Sheard will fit in.

I'm confused as to why people keep thinking Simon doesn't fit this defense. Before he was drafted, and back into highschool, he's been nothing but a 4-3 DE. The Ravens, Texan's, and Colts have actually played him out of position as a strong side OLB in their 3-4/hybrid fronts. His athleticism allowed him to play in those defenses, but the guy is best suited as a 4-3 DE like he was at Ohio State. There's NO WAY I'd play Basham over Simon at DE.

Could he play SAM? Maybe, but he's never played the position before. Again, I don't know why guys keep wanting to move him away from where he's best suited to play. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'm confused as to why people keep thinking Simon doesn't fit this defense. Before he was drafted, and back into highschool, he's been nothing but a 4-3 DE. The Ravens, Texan's, and Colts have actually played him out of position as a strong side OLB in their 3-4/hybrid fronts. His athleticism allowed him to play in those defenses, but the guy is best suited as a 4-3 DE like he was at Ohio State. There's NO WAY I'd play Basham over Simon at DE.

Could he play SAM? Maybe, but he's never played the position before. Again, I don't know why guys keep wanting to move him away from where he's best suited to play. 

Yeah, we really have no idea until we see him in action.  Agree with the Basham comment 

Also, people seem to be thinking in 2007 Indy 2 terms.  I doubt the finished product will look all that similar. 

5 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Sheard should be fine, he had his best year in a 4-3 with New England. It's Woods, Hunt, and Simon that im not sure about. If Hankins didnt fit the scheme, im not sure how Woods does. I dont know if Simon can be a fulltime linebacker as he struggles in space

Good point, forgot that N.E ran a 4-3.

John Simon On His Role In Colts’ New 4-3 Defense: ‘Whatever The Team Needs’

Posted Apr 13, 2018

Andrew WalkerColts.com Writer@AWalkerColts

•  

..."I can do a little bit of everything and whatever the team needs. So wherever they want me to be, I’ll be.”...

...So whether he’s coming off the edge or playing more in the middle of the field, Simon’s going to make plays. Ultimately, however, only one statistic matters in his mind.
“As long as we’re winning games,” Simon said. “That’s why I came here"...

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/John-Simon-On-His-Role-In-Colts’-New-4-3-Defense-‘Whatever-The-Team-Needs’/d55de509-78ab-42b4-a17c-47541fd179d0

• Like 2

Would it be to cynical to point out that I'm not overly confident that the unit as a whole isn't going to struggle, at least for awhile. 

It's going to be a bad squad until there's a some LB's that aren't scrap heap guys as far as I can tell.

I think we have multiple players on this team who are a very good fit for a 4-3, cover 2 scheme and am fairly convinced Ballard was planning for this last year.  

These include:

Q. Wilson... a big physical corner that should thrive an a zone scheme (especially if we have any pass rush).

M. Hooker... should be excellent in this scheme as a center fielder (if he can stay healthy).

P. Desir... like Wilson, a big physical guy who should thrive on the outside in this scheme.

N. Hairston.. I think he'll just improve as a nickel.

H. Ridgeway.. he's a gap-shooter, and I think ideally suited as an interior DL in a 4-3.

J. Sheard... I think he'll see improvement from last year, and I thought he was our best LB last year (not saying much).

T. Basham... still needs to develop, but he's much better off in a 4-3 as an edge-rusher than as an OLB in a 3-4.

D. Autry... I see him being a key contributor on our DL, and if I had to guess now, would pencil him as a starter opposite Sheard.

The ones I think may struggle some:

A. Woods... I think he'll be OK, but he's a big fatty that I think is better suited in the middle of a 3-4.

G. Stewart... I don't know if he's going to be athletic enough to excel in the middle of a 4-3, but I don't think this scheme kills him.

J. Simon... I think he could do OK as a rush DE on passing downs and a SSLB otherwise.  I don't think this move kills him, but I'm not sure it benefits him like some of the guys above.

H. Anderson... I like that he's losing some weight..  I think he'll do better in the middle of this DL, especially on passing downs, but I imagine he can rotate across the whole line.

A. Walker... I think this is a good move for him, I just don't know he's got the skills to be a 3 down LB in the NFL.

The ones I think are the most screwed:

A. Morrison... he was pretty much screwed anyway, but this is not a good fit for him.

M. Hunt... maybe he'll shock me, as he did seem just like an overall better player last year than at earlier points in his career, but I don't see him being a very good fit in this scheme.

K. Moore II... he improved as the year went on last year, but I just don't see him being a great fit in a cover 2.

The ones I don't know what to think about...

TJ Green... I could see this being a good move for him, especially if he can transition to CB -- he's big and fast and a zone scheme may be what saves his career.

Pretty much everyone else.

I think it's pretty clear we need some help at LB and potentially along the DL.  However, if healthy, I think our secondary is the strength of the team this coming season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Fish said:

Would it be to cynical to point out that I'm not overly confident that the unit as a whole isn't going to struggle, at least for awhile. 

It's going to be a bad squad until there's a some LB's that aren't scrap heap guys as far as I can tell.

It's not too cynical, it's probably true. The secondary might be okay, but they'll struggle because the pass rush probably won't be good. We have a couple decent run and hit linebackers, but not a whole lot of talent at that level either. 

To the OP, I don't think John Simon is a good fit. He's a hard worker though, and has some versatility, but I think he's going to be a liability. 

On 4/15/2018 at 9:22 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

Morrison doesn't fit any scheme cause he just sucks all the way around.

There is a system for him to play in, just not this one. He was never going to be great. He can lay a hit down. Just ask Melvin. 

We were 30th in the league in defense last year, so I think a lot of them struggled in the OLD system.

This all comes down to placement, though.  I'm worried that we're going to throw players into positions that might not be a natural fit simply because we lack ideal players at those positions.

Henry Anderson, for example, is going to lose weight to try to be a strong side defensive end.  Might he be better at UT?  Hard to tell.  IS John Simon going to play DE or OLB?