Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins & Bears showing strong interest in #6 overall pick

TKnight24

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I feel your pain!

I'll share a story that not even my wife knows....   and I'm not sure how I'll deal with it....

My wife is retiring soon.   In a few weeks.     Friday,  April 27th.      Do you know what that day is?!?    Of course you do!

Everyone does!      It's Day Two of the draft.   And we have four picks.    And I may be at a party celebrating my wife's retirement.      Ask me where I'd rather be?!?      Yup!     (Shhhhh!    Don't tell her....  I've got to figure out how to get out of that and be in front of the TV!)

Yikes!         :HFire:

Do what I did last year, add the NFL mobile app, bring a set of ear buds, run it up thru your shirt, check it near the Colts selections.  

Just now, csmopar said:

Do what I did last year, add the NFL mobile app, bring a set of ear buds, run it up thru your shirt, check it near the Colts selections.  

I'd love to do that,  but if I'm at the party,   I think I need to be more actively involved in the party and less involved in the draft.

What I'm hoping for is my wife gives me a Hall Pass and let's me go home while she parties with work friends!

(Please!    Please!     Please!)          :peek:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Mack is going to be better than Barclay this year?  CD you're entitled to your opinion but I think you are in the minority on that one.  Ballard will most likely draft draft a new starting RB this year.  With Gore gone he needs someone who can pass protect and run between the tackles.  That is not Mack IMO.  We shall see.  

I'm sure that I am in the minority on that opinion... I think that Mack's learning curve was more significant than Barkley's will be, given the system he came from. I also think that it will take Barkely a season to learn what Mack already knows about the pro game. 

Whichever team takes Barkley will feed him more carried than Mack will likely get this season, but I think Mack will be a better player and it will show up on tape. Time will tell... If Indy drafts Barkley, we will get a true comparison... Not that I want that. 

I just think Barkley is way overrated and isn't the "generational" RB that is worth a high pick in the 1st. I do realize that it is an unpopular opinion as evidenced by every draft board in all of the media treating him like a top 5 player.

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think the Jets trade has allowed him to access the new drafting position and plan for another trade.  Plenty of time has elapsed since that trade so I think he has various scenarios already worked out.  He has been clear that he is open to trading back.  Now all he needs is the right offer.  Conversations are reportedly already taking place.  It could happen on draft day but the trade partner runs the risk of the price going up on draft day.  All it takes is one team agreeing to Ballards current asking price and I think he completes the deal.  Trading back to six also tells me Ballard has Chubb, Barkley and Nelson rated fairly equally and he would be okay with any of them at six if he has to pick.  Pay me now or you might have to pay more later.  That's the gamble.  Like I said all it takes is one team who thinks their guy will be there at six to do the deal early.  We shall see but I can see it happening.  Just my opinion. 

ASSESS.......  he's got all kinds of Access....... the trade being early allowed him to assess the options,  sorry..... my account had been down for weeks and I was dying inside being t here were two Assess/Access posts.... lol  no worries

8 hours ago, aaron11 said:

mack is an ok backup, while barkley is one of the best RBs to ever enter the draft 

I just can't get on board with that... 

Barkely was not the best RB in the NCAA this last season, especially the 2nd half... He had unimpressive (or even downright bad) games against Northwestern, Ohio State, Michigan State, Rutgers, and Maryland...

How can somebody who had so many stinkers in the season before he enters the draft be one of the best to ever enter?

He runs soft, imo, regardless of his size, he just doesn't use it. He can learn, but he doesn't currently have the skill set to be a workhorse back in the NFL as a rookie. He will be a big scat back... like Mack was last season for the Colts. There will be at least 3 or 4 RBs in this draft that will have better rookie years than Saquon will, although I understand that which teams they land on will have as much to do with their success as their own talent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd love to do that,  but if I'm at the party,   I think I need to be more actively involved in the party and less involved in the draft.

What I'm hoping for is my wife gives me a Hall Pass and let's me go home while she parties with work friends!

You may only get to witness this many picks in the 2nd round once in your life... 

im sure if you explain this to your wife, she will be fine....

• Like 2

Sounds like trouble to me. The draft or her retirement party..... I’m pretty sure you’re screwed there NCF. I like csmopar’s suggestion. Bring the gear with you to the party. You can survive that scenario. :hat:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's why you go to bathroom...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Barkely was not the best RB in the NCAA this last season, especially the 2nd half... He had unimpressive (or even downright bad) games against Northwestern, Ohio State, Michigan State, Rutgers, and Maryland...

How can somebody who had so many stinkers in the season before he enters the draft be one of the best to ever enter?

He runs soft, imo, regardless of his size, he just doesn't use it. He can learn, but he doesn't currently have the skill set to be a workhorse back in the NFL as a rookie. He will be a big scat back... like Mack was last season for the Colts. There will be at least 3 or 4 RBs in this draft that will have better rookie years than Saquon will, although I understand that which teams they land on will have as much to do with their success as their own talent. 

great points

He averaged 2 yards a carry against Ohio State

Adrian Peterson was a MUCH better prospect than Barkley.... Zeke Elliot was a much better prospect (IMHO)........  Barkley has a chance to be really realy good, but I think that he isnt as good as the press he is getting

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Start coughing and sniffling a day or two before.  Maybe run around the house to build up a sweat and temperature. You could always spend a lil time in the bathroom and tell her you IBS is acting up.  If you have the "big D" , you gotta stay close to the bathroom.  She'd understand that.  Its not your fault you can hear  the TV from the bathroom.  When she leaves for the party, then the symptoms will miraculously subside.

mind over matter.  The end justifies the means.

31 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

great points

He averaged 2 yards a carry against Ohio State

Adrian Peterson was a MUCH better prospect than Barkley.... Zeke Elliot was a much better prospect (IMHO)........  Barkley has a chance to be really realy good, but I think that he isnt as good as the press he is getting

AP was much better pure runner and by far the best RB prospect of the past decade+.

However, Barkley could be more valuable in todays game due to his receiving skills which were almost non-existent with AP.

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Colts trade with the Bills.  They pick Landry at 12 and Hurst at 22. They would also probably a get another pick from the Bills in next years draft. Now they have their potential Dline for the future and can address the rest of their  needs with their remaining picks

I see a potential John Randle in Hurst, I see a potential Robert Mathis in Landry

Both would be PERFECT for this defense - Watch the tape!

If we have Buffalo's picks...... I would MATCH this exactly

In the second I pick Price to shore up the interior OL

In the 2nd, 2nd pick I Pick the BEST LB available (Darius Leonard or Rashan Evans)

With the 3rd, 2nd round pick - Rashad Penny

With the 3rd round, I pick the slob LT, Orlando Brown from Oklahoma, to play RT for us

(Watch his tape, just not the combine tape :)  he mauls people, he didnt allow a SINGLE Sack from the left side, he will be OK on the right side)

Oklahoma played some GREAT teams last year..... with some very very good DE/LBs

he did well.... on the field...... not worth a 1st or 2nd...... but I am taking a risk at 3

We could have SIX starters from this draft 

And fix many of the holes that we have

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

none of the draft experts agree with you.  most of them have him as the best player in the class

barkley is 234 pounds, that is not a scat back.  he doesnt remind me of mack

On 4/14/2018 at 12:27 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Not only that...   but we're not trading down to get picks 23, 31 and whatever else they could throw our way...

They don't have enough assets to trade to make us trade that far down.

No chance for a deal with the Pats.

What if it were 23, 31 and Philip Dorsett and Dwayne Allen?  :)

On 4/14/2018 at 9:09 AM, Kyle said:

ok, trade back 2 spots, add jordan howard and a early 2nd round pick....  count me in

lol that isn't happening. Bears already said they are not trading Howard. But I would take it. Howard, # 8 overall and a 2nd round pick? would be a steal for the colts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Unless Miami gives up their 2019 1st round pick in the deal, I wouldn't wanna move down to 11. I'd be fine moving down with Chicago though, but would require RB Jordan Howard and at least their 2nd back in the deal, if not a bit more. 

yeah, I would rather us trade with Buffalo for both of their first rounders in this years draft and their first rounder in next years draft. Get Davenport at 12, and Hernandez at 22. would be a decent haul in the first round. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

yeah, I would rather us trade with Buffalo for both of their first rounders in this years draft and their first rounder in next years draft. Get Davenport at 12, and Hernandez at 22. would be a decent haul in the first round. 

Ballard should take that deal in a heartbeat if Buffalo offered 3 1st rounders for the 6th overall pick. And next year's could be an early 1st rounder from Buffalo.

With that said, I'd rather go after either Edmunds or Smith with the 12th pick, and if they're not there, I'd want Ward at corner. One of those 3 should be there at 12 with all the QBs expected to go top 10. 

At 22 I'd go DT Taven Bryan or DE Harold Landry.

If Belichick was serious about trading up to #6 to get Chubb, I would demand every single draft pick from the Patriots for both the 2018 and 2019 drafts.

I would also demand that he wear a Mike Ditka mustache and that Chubb wear Ricky Williams dreadlocks when they do their pressers on draft day.

Then once they're all dressed up for their big day, I would draft Nelson at #6.

031718_colts-ballard-glasses_622.jpg

Deal with it Bill.  See you in January.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

For what it’s worth- Penn St lost Ryan Bates, their big left tackle, for the 2nd half of the Ohio State game and the rest of the season. They weren’t the same team afterward. Barkley is the Real Deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmy g said:

For what it’s worth- Penn St lost Ryan Bates, their big left tackle, for the 2nd half of the Ohio State game and the rest of the season. They weren’t the same team afterward. Barkley is the Real Deal.

He got outrushed by a QB the last two years, who also threw for over 7000 yards in those 2 years as well. He's only had back to back 100 yard games twice in 3 years. Is he a good running back? Sure, but he's an average between the tackles runner and at his size, that's a huge red flag to me. 

Bates leaving the game is hardly an excuse as to why Barkley was poor in the OSU game. OSU forced Barkley to be an inside runner and he showed his true colors. IU did the same thing. He's a "soft" running back for his size and goes down way to easy.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Another day, another Colts trade rumor. These have been flooding in ever since the Jets trade. I’ve heard the Bills, Cards, and now Dolphins and Bears.

Really interested to know why none of these teams are interested in picks 4 and 5 or 7. What is so magical about pick 6? Seems like bored media chatter.

I think it's because we are the team that is openly looking for trade options and the fact we are basically the first spot that a team would have a good shot of moving up that isn't probably locked in right now. Seems first 3 are likely to be quarterbacks based on their posturing and 4 I don't think anyone thinks Cleveland will bypass Barkley. I do think most think Denver is pretty dead set on taking the bpa....whether that is a qb they like or Chubb, Nelson, or Ward. It would seem like they are probably sitting strong on their pick. We've been pretty open and traded once already so our pick seems to be a popular one discussed. It's going to take a king's ransom I think to get one of these other picks it seems because of the qb value at the top. Just how I see it. Of course I don't believe anything in the media....nobody heard a word until after we traded with the Jets....nobody heard a word that the Pats would trade Cooks....or Olgetree from the Rams...or Peters from KC.....nobody had those moves...so if someone is saying they hear a trade is being done...I don't believe them. All speculation and postering and click bait right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm with Peter King in thinking the Colts don't trade that far back, if they trade at all. Unless they're absolutely blown away by an offer.

What difference does it make?  You need everything.  Might as well get more picks.  One play-making LB, if he turns out to be such, won't turn around your fortunes in 2018.

On 4/16/2018 at 1:32 PM, #12. said:

What difference does it make?  You need everything.  Might as well get more picks.  One play-making LB, if he turns out to be such, won't turn around your fortunes in 2018.

This isnt a one year, off season, then to SB....... we have a weak roster today.... very weak, swiss cheese comes to mind

Adding more picks from the high probabllity target area (rounds 1-2) are HUGE.... for BOTH this year and next

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 2:32 PM, #12. said:

it does make a difference, i would rather have one really good player than two average guys

no guarantee at all that a couple of second round picks will ever pan out or turn around our fortunes either

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 10:43 AM, BleedBlu8792 said:

He got outrushed by a QB the last two years, who also threw for over 7000 yards in those 2 years as well. He's only had back to back 100 yard games twice in 3 years. Is he a good running back? Sure, but he's an average between the tackles runner and at his size, that's a huge red flag to me. 

Bates leaving the game is hardly an excuse as to why Barkley was poor in the OSU game. OSU forced Barkley to be an inside runner and he showed his true colors. IU did the same thing. He's a "soft" running back for his size and goes down way to easy.

When I read that I thought "no way".  But sure enough you are right.

That is crazy.  Not sure how a generational talent could have only accomplished that twice in 3 years.  I don't see how you draft the guy top 6 with stats like that.  

IMO you draft Sony Michael in the 2nd round.  Saw him all year and he was just outstanding.

57 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it does make a difference, i would rather have one really good player than two average guys

no guarantee at all that a couple of second round picks will ever pan out or turn around our fortunes either

I'm assuming we would still have at least one relatively high 1st rounder, and it's all a crapshoot anyway. 

In this situation, when you need everything, I'll take my chances with more picks.   That was obviously the thinking behind the first trade, so I see no reason not to double down, if given the opportunity.  If you are willing to pass on Chubb or Barkley for more picks, you certainly then pass on Roquan Smith at #6.

I'm intrigued if the Dolphins are interested in our 6th overall pick. If they are offering their 11th overall with a 2019 first round pick and a 2018 mid round pick, that could be a great deal. The Dolphins have one of the least talented rosters in the NFL with all the talent they released/traded and to be honest, I'm expecting them to be in the bottom 5 next season... meaning their 2019 first round pick could be very valuable and potentially give us a shot at an elite defensive playmaker (Ed Oliver cough cough). 

I'm being very hypothetical I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #12. said:

If you are willing to pass on Chubb or Barkley for more picks, you certainly then pass on Roquan Smith at #6.

we may still land chubb or barkley.   hard to say, i dont think many people thought we would get hooker last year

smith isnt my favorite, im hoping for one of barkley, chubb, nelson or edmunds.  i wasnt sure about a guard at #3, but he doesnt sound bad to me at 6 after getting three second round picks in the trade 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

we may still land chubb or barkley.   hard to say, i dont think many people thought we would get hooker last year

smith isnt my favorite, im hoping for one of barkley, chubb, nelson or edmunds.  i wasnt sure about a guard at #3, but he doesnt sound bad to me at 6 after getting three second round picks in the trade 

Very good post, although I think Smith would be fine, I'm just not sure #6 is the best place to get him.  But I'm with you in that I still think the Colts will have a shot at Chubb or Barkley, and I think Nelson could be there if those 2 aren't. 

• Like 1

I am not sure that the Colts r afraid to trade out of 6 for fear of losing out on Smith.  Let's just say that they traded the # 6 to Buffalo for their 12 and 22. Would u rather have Smith at 6 or Rashaan Evans at 12 and Vander Each at 22. That's just an example or Evans at 12 and Hurst, Landry or 2nd best guard at 22. Just food for thought.  I don't know if Smith is a better addition to the team  than Evans and another player. 

On 4/14/2018 at 12:47 AM, TdungyW/12 said:

Wait till the day of the draft CB and till we are on the clock and take in a kings randsom for our #6. But what’s the point of moving up to 6 if there are no QB’s left? If barkley, Chubb, Nelson or Fitzpatrick are available at 6 don’t trade!!!

You got the order right too. Barkley, Chubb, then Nelson. I would consider more picks if these three are gone. Fitzpatrick is good but we already have Geathers and Hooker, and it would be hard not getting a stronger need like MLB, OL, WR.

17 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I'm intrigued if the Dolphins are interested in our 6th overall pick. If they are offering their 11th overall with a 2019 first round pick and a 2018 mid round pick, that could be a great deal. The Dolphins have one of the least talented rosters in the NFL with all the talent they released/traded and to be honest, I'm expecting them to be in the bottom 5 next season... meaning their 2019 first round pick could be very valuable and potentially give us a shot at an elite defensive playmaker (Ed Oliver cough cough). 

I'm being very hypothetical I know.

If the Dolphins were to offer their 11th overall, 2019 1st, and a 2018 3rd round pick, I'd take that deal. Then at 11 I'd take in order of availability (Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Denzel Ward, Derwin James) One of them will be available. 

If Bradley Chubb were to be available though I'd have a hard time moving back. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 10:02 PM, TKnight24 said:

Ballard thus far has been a man of his word, and he’s said he doesn’t wanna leave the top 10. But taking calls just in case the worst scenario does play out which is non QB being drafted isn’t a bad idea 

If the top 3 non QB are gone, definitely pull the trigger on the trade back and get a ransom

I agree 100%! Most drafts now have a QB going 1-4 with clevland trading out of the 4 so there’s a chance but anything can happen. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TouchdownMonkey said:

You got the order right too. Barkley, Chubb, then Nelson. I would consider more picks if these three are gone. Fitzpatrick is good but we already have Geathers and Hooker, and it would be hard not getting a stronger need like MLB, OL, WR.

I believe chubb and Nelson have a greater chance of falling to us over barkley .... I believe barkley will be gone by 6. 

Allen

darnold

mayfield

trade out for Rosen 

barkley. If clevland doesn’t trade out and takes barkley at 4 I believe broncos take chubb

nelson or trade down