Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins & Bears showing strong interest in #6 overall pick

TKnight24

6 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

I agree with waiting till draft day.  But if Chubb & Nelson are still available, I think you need to pick one.  You get BPA and fill a top need at the same time.  That doesn't happen often. Plus if they're both still there, that means the top 4 QBs are probably gone, so you don't have quite the trade leverage.  JMO.

chubb would fill BPA, a great need, and a high value position 

cant pass on that 

49 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

#6 for:

8th overall 

Jordan Howard 

2nd rounder this year 

Pick next year in the 1-3 rounds

I’m not sure how the trade vaule stuff works so probably could get more. But that’s the minimum of what I’d want back

I could be wrong but I really don't think we'd be getting that much if Howard is involved.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I could be wrong but I really don't think we'd be getting that much if Howard is involved.

If not then that’s fine. Either make a pick or trade with Miami if our pick is gone and there’s a QB left 

Crazy how Miami is in the QB market now. Didn’t they give R. Tannehill $100mil

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd rather take a smaller more modest deal with Chicago and pick 8th then trade further back and land at 11 and have a smaller chance of getting the player we really want.

Do you really want to risk that Smith and Edmunds could both be gone by the time we pick?     Not me...

Absolutely agree.   Edmunds (and Smith) would both be available at 8 .... I believe.  If we could get their 2nd rounder (and 1st) I would stongly consider.

I wonder if this is all "conditional" dialog meaning IF THIS HAPPENS DEAL, THEN WE WILL.........?

If you have the dialog up front, AND a certain situation occurs, THEN we will do XXX.  It will save the frantic last minute deal making with time clicking by.

On the surface, it appears that there isnt a player of interest for the Bears at 6....... they have their QB of the future.  I dont see them trading down for Nelson, maybe Chubb or Barkley.   I do think Miami would want to move on from Tannehill, BUT........  The 2 top LBS are gone by 11 (BEARS / Oak) 

• Like 1

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. So true.  Whichever team meets Ballards asking price first you do the trade now.  To much can happen on draft day that can go wrong.  That's why he did the Jets trade early.  Ballard has been clear he wants more picks hence our first trade.  The other teams might not be quite ready as they might want to be more comfortable with how they think it might unfold.  But I do think some team will justify it and trade with us before draft day and Ballard will get his wish.  More picks.

25 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Crazy how Miami is in the QB market now. Didn’t they give R. Tannehill $100mil

hes missed more time than andrew luck over the last two seasons, and was never that great in the first place

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Another day, another Colts trade rumor. These have been flooding in ever since the Jets trade. I’ve heard the Bills, Cards, and now Dolphins and Bears.

Really interested to know why none of these teams are interested in picks 4 and 5 or 7. What is so magical about pick 6? Seems like bored media chatter.

You said it,  Def,

Denver media is all field up with the same rumors..abut them trading down from '5'

We should just sit at '6' and take Chubb, Barkley or Nelson.....all 3 wont go by the 6th pick

Those 3 are starters immediately..and maybe stars soon after that....

..Lets not trade down again and again until the guy we get isn't good enough to start and star

• Like 1

Entertaining an offer from Arizona would be very interesting. It would probably be a load of premium picks if we say Baker Mayfield is there. Arizona's 1st and 2nd round picks this year, plus their 1st (which is likely to be a top 10 pick) and 3rd round next is what I think the trade would look like. That would set us up with Two 1st's next year, Two 2nd's next year, Two 3rd's next year, Two 4th's next year (If we get the comp pick that looks likely). Thats a lot of picks in what is expected to be a good draft class. Not to mention we'd have four 2nd's this year. But IF chubb is there, just take him and be done with it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Entertaining an offer from Arizona would be very interesting. It would probably be a load of premium picks if we say Baker Mayfield is there. Arizona's 1st and 2nd round picks this year, plus their 1st (which is likely to be a top 10 pick) and 3rd round next is what I think the trade would look like. That would set us up with Two 1st's next year, Two 2nd's next year, Two 3rd's next year, Two 4th's next year (If we get the comp pick that looks likely). Thats a lot of picks in what is expected to be a good draft class. Not to mention we'd have four 2nd's this year. But IF chubb is there, just take him and be done with it.

Great point

IF somehow, all 4 main QBs arent taken, we could potentially get a haul from Arizona that you mentioned

At 15, this year, I would take Landry or Ward (if they are avaiable) then get best LB, OG, CB, DL with the FOUR picks from round 2......

we could rebuild the team quicker

And next year....... another big haul

All in all, I think we are sitting pat at 6, though

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

Until this rumor, all of the teams mentioned are interested in a QB.  The Bears rumor changes things because now there is a chance teams view one or more of the position players worthy of giving extra picks for.  That's a new twist.

Its probably Chubb, maybe Barkley.  I still can't see a team giving up multiple picks to take a G at 6, no matter how good he is.

Interested in a QB means they should be looking at the 4th overall pick. The Browns are taking a QB #1 Overall. They traded away every QB on the roster except for Taylor and the owner is going to pro-days.

15 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Id take the cards #1, #2 this year and #1 next year plus David Johnson. 

Seems like awful lot for them to give up. 

If Barkley or Chubb are not available at pick 6, it would be nice to trade back with Chicago.  Chicago gets our 6. We get their 8th, their 4th rounder, and a future 2nd round pick. 

On 4/14/2018 at 7:22 AM, sracolts84 said:

I don't see Ballard making any move until draft night, to see how the first five picks go. If things fall a certain way, he'll be willing to trade down. However, I don't see him risking losing out on a player he wants if he feels like they won't be there at the spot he would trade down to. The Colts are in a great situation either way. This is the first draft I have been really excited for since when they took Luck.

I agree, I also can't see the Bears trading up to 6 without knowing that the player they want is available.

23 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

I agree with waiting till draft day.  But if Chubb & Nelson are still available, I think you need to pick one.  You get BPA and fill a top need at the same time.  That doesn't happen often. Plus if they're both still there, that means the top 4 QBs are probably gone, so you don't have quite the trade leverage.  JMO.

Yup. 

4 hours ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Seems like awful lot for them to give up. 

If Barkley or Chubb are not available at pick 6, it would be nice to trade back with Chicago.  Chicago gets our 6. We get their 8th, their 4th rounder, and a future 2nd round pick. 

No way I'd do that unless Jordan Howard is thrown in.  They want to get rid of him anyway.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:00 AM, richard pallo said:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. So true.  Whichever team meets Ballards asking price first you do the trade now.  To much can happen on draft day that can go wrong.  That's why he did the Jets trade early.  Ballard has been clear he wants more picks hence our first trade.  The other teams might not be quite ready as they might want to be more comfortable with how they think it might unfold.  But I do think some team will justify it and trade with us before draft day and Ballard will get his wish.  More picks.

I dont agree. They did the Jets trade because it was a no brainer. It also allowed for more time to access the new drafting position and plan for another trade. 

Ballard doesnt necessarily want to move. It's a large risk if they have a high value on a player that will no doubt be available at #6. He will entertain offers and see what happens draft day. No one at this point is going to throw a lot of capital at the #6 pick, when no one has a grasp on what is going to happen those first 5 picks. 

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I dont agree. They did the Jets trade because it was a no brainer. It also allowed for more time to access the new drafting position and plan for another trade. 

Ballard doesnt necessarily want to move. It's a large risk if they have a high value on a player that will no doubt be available at #6. He will entertain offers and see what happens draft day. No one at this point is going to throw a lot of capital at the #6 pick, when no one has a grasp on what is going to happen those first 5 picks. 

I think the Jets trade has allowed him to access the new drafting position and plan for another trade.  Plenty of time has elapsed since that trade so I think he has various scenarios already worked out.  He has been clear that he is open to trading back.  Now all he needs is the right offer.  Conversations are reportedly already taking place.  It could happen on draft day but the trade partner runs the risk of the price going up on draft day.  All it takes is one team agreeing to Ballards current asking price and I think he completes the deal.  Trading back to six also tells me Ballard has Chubb, Barkley and Nelson rated fairly equally and he would be okay with any of them at six if he has to pick.  Pay me now or you might have to pay more later.  That's the gamble.  Like I said all it takes is one team who thinks their guy will be there at six to do the deal early.  We shall see but I can see it happening.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 12:44 AM, TKnight24 said:

Bears can send Jordan Howard, #8, a 2nd & a pick next year and I’m here for it :)

:scoregood:

:colts: 

On 4/14/2018 at 1:12 AM, LockeDown said:

We're not dealing with the Pats.  You can't say the rivalry is back on and then give them Chubbs.

Only way we trade with the Patriots is if they'd give us every pick of theirs in this years draft and the next 3 years combined 

Browns.......qb

Giants.......Barkley

Jets........qb

Browns......Chubb. Browns c the potential of Garrett and Chubb together and don't trade out Broncos....qb....player or trade out?

Now u have potentially  2 qbs still on the board when the Colts pick.  That's the only scenario I could c where the #6 spot still has value.  I don't c the Bears moving up unless it is for a guy like Edmunds. A guy they have totally fallen in love with based on potential.  I don't see them trading up to get Nelson. I also don't c an offensive player who has value at #6. I see Bills and dolphins making a charge.  Arizona maybe to far back for Ballard's liking. I do not c the Pats moving up.  They would have to give up a ton. Look at Bellicheks history; not going to happen.  Colts didn't bring in Barkley and Chubb.  May mean nothing or they don't expect either of them to b there at #6. They went to Nelson's pro day, so they see him being there at #6. Just my thoughts.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think the Jets trade has allowed him to access the new drafting position and plan for another trade.  Plenty of time has elapsed since that trade so I think he has various scenarios already worked out.  He has been clear that he is open to trading back.  Now all he needs is the right offer.  Conversations are reportedly already taking place.  It could happen on draft day but the trade partner runs the risk of the price going up on draft day.  All it takes is one team agreeing to Ballards current asking price and I think he completes the deal.  Trading back to six also tells me Ballard has Chubb, Barkley and Nelson rated fairly equally and he would be okay with any of them at six if he has to pick.  Pay me now or you might have to pay more later.  That's the gamble.  Like I said all it takes is one team who thinks their guy will be there at six to do the deal early.  We shall see but I can see it happening.  Just my opinion. 

I took your first comment a little differently than what I think you meant. I think we are on the same page with the Jets trade in that it was a great deal that gave Ballard plenty of time to reevaluate their place in the draft and the options available. 

I won't be upset by another trade by any means. As long as Ballard is comfortable with who he drafts, more picks is a great thing. 

• Like 1

If the Bears are willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd to move up for Barkley, I'd do it instantly... Provided Chubb had already been picked. I'd rather take Edmunds, Smith, Ward, Hurst, or even Landry over Barkely without regret, especially with an extra pick thrown in. 

I think year 2 Marlon Mack is going to be better than Barkely this season. They both lose yards because they bounce everything outside... The difference is that Mack has had a year to learn how to play in the NFL. Barkley is going to have growing pains. He won't be a top 10 RB until he learns to run between the tackles... which will take time. Jmo... Not worth a top 15 pick, let alone the 6th pick in the draft. 

9 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

If the Bears are willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd to move up for Barkley, I'd do it instantly... Provided Chubb had already been picked. I'd rather take Edmunds, Smith, Ward, Hurst, or even Landry over Barkely without regret, especially with an extra pick thrown in. 

I think year 2 Marlon Mack is going to be better than Barkely this season. They both lose yards because they bounce everything outside... The difference is that Mack has had a year to learn how to play in the NFL. Barkley is going to have growing pains. He won't be a top 10 RB until he learns to run between the tackles... which will take time. Jmo... Not worth a top 15 pick, let alone the 6th pick in the draft. 

Mack is going to be better than Barclay this year?  CD you're entitled to your opinion but I think you are in the minority on that one.  Ballard will most likely draft draft a new starting RB this year.  With Gore gone he needs someone who can pass protect and run between the tackles.  That is not Mack IMO.  We shall see.  

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

mack is an ok backup, while barkley is one of the best RBs to ever enter the draft 

6 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

It has nothing to do with if he learns to run between the tackles. He will in training camp... He bounced outside often in collegr because he had the potential to take it to the house every time. He will make big plays this year.. perhaps more through the air than on the ground. THAT is why he is going to be a top 5 pick. If he is at 6, I would hope to Hell that Ballard would want to pair him with Luck and cross runningback off the need list with a sharpie. 

On 4/14/2018 at 5:57 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Another day, another Colts trade rumor. These have been flooding in ever since the Jets trade. I’ve heard the Bills, Cards, and now Dolphins and Bears.

Really interested to know why none of these teams are interested in picks 4 and 5 or 7. What is so magical about pick 6? Seems like bored media chatter.

Goodness gracious....

I don't know what you're reading that you haven't heard rumors about Cleveland's pick at 4 or Denver's pick at 5?   Both are linked to trade rumors...

Snd what's magical about pick 6 is that it's connected to the Colts.   And Chris Ballard has been very public about being to trade back again.

And what's with the "bored media chatter" crack?    It was a tweet.   A single tweet.   Not even a full blown story.   Since when is any news or rumors about the Colts a bad thing?    Don't most people complain there's not enough info about the Colts.   So here we are involved in a rumor and you're.....  complaining?    Really?

Feels like you're READY for the draft.    You're tired of waiting.   You want the draft to start NOW!    Got it.    

Hey...   hang in there...   just about 10 days left.   It'll be here soon enough...

Colts trade with the Bills.  They pick Landry at 12 and Hurst at 22. They would also probably a get another pick from the Bills in next years draft. Now they have their potential Dline for the future and can address the rest of their  needs with their remaining picks

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Feels like you're READY for the draft.    You're tired of waiting.   You want the draft to start NOW!    Got it.    

Hey...   hang in there...   just about 10 days left.   It'll be here soon enough...

:scoregood:  Heck, I'm ready to get it over with as well, the suspense is killing me. (this is why my wife hates watching movies with me, I tend to get annoyed at long developing plots)

• Like 2

Just now, csmopar said:

:scoregood:  Heck, I'm ready to get it over with as well, the suspense is killing me. (this is why my wife hates watching movies with me, I tend to get annoyed at long developing plots)

I feel your pain!

I'll share a story that not even my wife knows....   and I'm not sure how I'll deal with it....

My wife is retiring soon.   In a few weeks.     Friday,  April 27th.      Do you know what that day is?!?    Of course you do!

Everyone does!      It's Day Two of the draft.   And we have four picks.    And I may be at a party celebrating my wife's retirement.      Ask me where I'd rather be?!?      Yup!     (Shhhhh!    Don't tell her....  I've got to figure out how to get out of that and be in front of the TV!)

Yikes!         :HFire:

• Like 4

No matter who we trade with I think we should try to get future picks instead of more this year. We have enough picks this year imo but it’s never too early to prepare for next years draft. 

Imagine trading our 6 for 11, a 4th, and a 2019 1st. We still have a good shot at Roquan who may be who CB is targeting. If the dolphins suck then that future 1st could wnd up a top 10 pick. 

I just want CB to make moves like Danny Ainge for the Celtics. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I feel your pain!

I'll share a story that not even my wife knows....   and I'm not sure how I'll deal with it....

My wife is retiring soon.   In a few weeks.     Friday,  April 27th.      Do you know what that day is?!?    Of course you do!

Everyone does!      It's Day Two of the draft.   And we have four picks.    And I may be at a party celebrating my wife's retirement.      Ask me where I'd rather be?!?      Yup!     (Shhhhh!    Don't tell her....  I've got to figure out how to get out of that and be in front of the TV!)

Yikes!         :HFire:

Take her to Buffalo Wild Wings!

• Thanks 1