Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 3.0: Colts with a surprising pick in R1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923275/article/lance-zierlein-mock-draft-30-bills-trade-up-for-josh-allen

6. Colts - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia TechThe Colts are still in position to grab guys like Roquan Smith or Quenton Nelson, but I'll give them Edmunds, the freakish LB with the sky-high ceiling.

Would you be upset if we get Edmunds at 6? With Nelson still on the board? 

• Like 2

That shouldn't really be a surprise and I definitely wouldn't be upset. The Colts haven't addressed ILB and this draft is unusually strong at the position...especially at the top.

I think I would be more disappointed if he passed on Edmunds to draft Nelson.

If Ballard sees Edmunds as his next Urlacher (the size and athleticism is definitely there), I don't think it would matter who was available at that pick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

He’s my Pick in my latest mock draft. He wouldn’t be a surprise pick. He’s a rare specimen at his position and could start immediately. He’s got a complete game. You could argue that Edmunds should be in the same conversation as Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson. He’s a blue chip player.

• Like 3

So I'm a pretty big Edmunds guy, wouldn't mind him at #6 over Nelson because of the OL talent in the draft, and I like him more than Roquan....

But I've come to see the risk in drafting him. We'd be banking on Eberflus to mold him, which isn't a bad bet, but it's far from a sure thing that Edmunds taps into that potential.

Again though, I like him. I've been beating the Edmunds drum for a while. It's just high risk/high reward.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

So I'm a pretty big Edmunds guy, wouldn't mind him at #6 over Nelson because of the OL talent in the draft, and I like him more than Roquan....

But I've come to see the risk in drafting him. We'd be banking on Eberflus to mold him, which isn't a bad bet, but it's far from a sure thing that Edmunds taps into that potential.

Again though, I like him. I've been beating the Edmunds drum for a while. It's just high risk/high reward.

He’s already pretty polished. Everyone loves Malik Jefferson but he has bad instincts. Edmunds has terrific instincts.

49 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s my Pick in my latest mock draft. He wouldn’t be a surprise pick. He’s a rare specimen at his position and could start immediately. He’s got a complete game. You could argue that Edmunds should be in the same conversation as Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson. He’s a blue chip player.

I like Edmunds, but I wouldn't say he has a complete game. At this point, he's still  got a lot to learn in playing the run. He'll make some plays, but he's gotten by largely on his athleticism and shooting random gaps, hoping to make the play.

I disagree on his instincts and think he needs to work on both that and play diagnosing  He's looked fantastic in coverage though and I think he has the things you can't teach. I'm not sure that he would start MLB from day 1, but I could see him getting the start at WILL initially where his coverage skills would be maximized and his deficiencies in the run game would be a bit covered up.

I do agree about Jefferson though. He has almost no instincts and Edmunds' are absolutely better than his.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s already pretty polished. Everyone loves Malik Jefferson but he has bad instincts. Edmunds has terrific instincts.

Everyone loves Malik Jefferson?

I think I've read great athlete, not great player.   He can test well,  but he doesn't have the best tape.

Perhaps I have him confused with someone else?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agree to disagree, that Edmunds is polished/has terrific instincts. He takes false steps way too often, like an absurd amount, bites on play action a lot. I think he'd have a very rough rookie seeason, QB's/coaches could really take advantage of him.

Instincts can develop with time/experience though. I like the guy, just think he's a huge project.

• Like 1

I love Edmunds up side...

But my hunch is if you took a poll of 32 GMs about WHERE you play him you might get 4-5 answers... (but not in equal amounts)

Any of the three linebacker spots...   or, with his size, either of the DE spots...  I've heard him compared to Anthony Barr who came out as a linebacker and became a DE.    NOT predicting this...  Just saying different people might see different things..

I'd be curious where Ballard sees him?

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I love Edmunds up side...

But my hunch is if you took a poll of 32 GMs about WHERE you play him you might get 4-5 answers... (but not in equal amounts)

Any of the three linebacker spots...   or, with his size, either of the DE spots...  I've heard him compared to Anthony Barr who came out as a linebacker and became a DE.    NOT predicting this...  Just saying different people might see different things..

I'd be curious where Ballard sees him?

The opposite. Barr came out as a DE and plays OLB for the Vikings.

• Thanks 1

The Colts need play makers at all three levels of the D.  The order in which they arrive on the roster doesn't matter a bit to me.  This is going to take a couple drafts and off-seasons.  And an impact LB, a QB for the D would be fine by me. 

I think the talent fall off from Nelson to Hernandez/Price/Wynn is far less than from Edmunds/Smith to Carter/Armstrong/Nwosu.   So if Chubb is gone, it wouldn't shock me to see the Colts take a LB (or CB/S) over Nelson.   If Chubb is there and they take Edmunds, I'd be surprised, but not upset - heck, Edmunds may well end up a DE, he's still growing.  Again, lots of holes to fill...

3 hours ago, stitches said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923275/article/lance-zierlein-mock-draft-30-bills-trade-up-for-josh-allen

Yes I would be upset. Nelson is a once in a generation OG who could transform the perception of this OL. The only 2 players I'd be fine with drafting over Nelson would be Chubb and possibly Barkley. 

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

I would not hate it but I wouldn't be happy.  At 6 I want a "sure thing".  And while his upside is through the roof, I'm not interested in rolling the dice on a boom or bust prospect.  If we want a LB just go with Roquan. 

I'm down with Roquan but I don't think there's a single person anywhere that characterizes the selection of Edmunds as a "role of the dice".    Too much production there for him to be a role of the dice or boom or bust.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

but I don't think there's a single person anywhere that characterizes the selection of Edmunds as a "role of the dice".    Too much production there for him to be a role of the dice or boom or bust.

Man you and your hyperbole lol.  I'm not sure who you are reading because the consensus is that Edmunds is unpolished, lacks instincts, guesses way too much, but has unlimited potential at the same time.  Just turn on some youtube cutups, you'll see that he is not polished at all.  In college, being an athletic freak is enough to rack up crazy production.  As we've seen a million times, that isnt enough in the NFL.  If you're taking him at #6, you're counting on him to become what he has the potential to be, not what he is now.  That's pretty much the definition of a roll of the dice.  Some GMs are willing to gamble when we are talking about someone who could easily become an all pro.  I'm more hesitant.

Shive explained it pretty well above.  I also suggest you watch this video:

Basically, he's always trying to make the splash play rather than relying on instincts and playing with discipline.  As a result, he often misses coverage assignments or leaves gaping run lanes.  This of course is all teachable stuff, and he's only 19 so one wouldnt expect him to be a finished product yet.  That's why I wouldnt be upset with taking him, I just think there are better options.

• Like 1

If the Giants move up to #1 to take Darnold then it's probably going to be 3 quarterbacks taken before pick#4.  Browns probably take Barkley there, Denver most likely Nelson.  In this scenario we'll probably be pretty good to get Chubb.  I could see it happening.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-arent-joking-about-trading-no-1-pick-reportedly-trying-to-bait-giants/

1 hour ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Edmunds would be fine but I cant see CB drafting Edmunds before Quenton Nelson. This mock would have the Colts passing on Nelson.

I can understand passing on Nelson for another blue chip player, only because some positions have a much steeper fall off in talent than G does. If you skip on Nelson in the 1st, there's a big chance you can still get Hernandez, Wynn, or Price at the top of the 2nd, who all project to be very good G's.

6 hours ago, Shive said:

I like Edmunds, but I wouldn't say he has a complete game. At this point, he's still  got a lot to learn in playing the run. He'll make some plays, but he's gotten by largely on his athleticism and shooting random gaps, hoping to make the play.

I disagree on his instincts and think he needs to work on both that and play diagnosing  He's looked fantastic in coverage though and I think he has the things you can't teach. I'm not sure that he would start MLB from day 1, but I could see him getting the start at WILL initially where his coverage skills would be maximized and his deficiencies in the run game would be a bit covered up.

I do agree about Jefferson though. He has almost no instincts and Edmunds' are absolutely better than his.

This is absolutely correct.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Agree! Has been my personal favorite for sometime.  Barkley should be gone. Chubb, just not sold on. Nelson would be good, just not sure at 6 with many oline talent in draft. Would love to see the colts finally get a difference maker at mlb.  

10 hours ago, stitches said:

Initially, yes.  Long term, it would depend upon how both players perform as pros.  I expect that when all is said and done, Nelson will be hailed as the more accomplished pro.  Obviously, I might be wrong, though.  Only time will tell. 

I'd be disappointed, yes. I'd rather take Nelson. I can see the argument for Chubb over Nelson, even though I think Nelson is better. Edge rushers are the highest value position on a defense, typically. But I don't see why we need to take a linebacker if their is a better prospect available. 

Let's not forget that CB said he wanted to come out of this off-season with 3 new LBs.....

Edmonds in the 1st

Leonard in the 3rd

Warner in the 5th

All three can run and cover and you add them to Simon, Walker, and Grace then we have a good start on young competition - with Morrison and Perry fighting to back-up Simon at SAM.

Yeah, I would be a little upset.  Not in the fact that the Colts would get a player that can help them and is a need, but more in that I think Nelson has multiple Pro-Bowler potential.  Not sure about Edmunds.  And if they took him over Chubb I might completely lose my mind!  Now, if they traded down and took Edmunds THEN I would reconsider.  But if we're strictly talking LB's, I'd rather have Smith over Edmunds.

• Like 1

Every scenario, we still come out with an exciting player..the worst case scenario, we end up with a hugely talented LB.  now, that's what I'm talking about. No real pressure on us this year.  Just fun. I take that back.  Ballard has to nail this draft, so there is pressure on him, but I don't feel it. 

Edmunds will not be on the board at 12. I think folks dont realize how rare he is for an off-ball LB with the size, speed and fluidness in his movements. Add the tale of the tape he's got some production and he's 19 he can play in any system all over the field. I know some have said Brian Urlacher but he reminds me of Junior Seau more. If he was taken at 6 i wouldn't mind. He's brother is a good player as well might be someone to look at for SS because Geathers might not make it all season long i hope thats not the case but have redundant pieces in place and i think his brother could be had day 3 (maybe)