Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard interview 11am ET

TKnight24

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Something he said stood out to me. He said there are Guards in rounds 2-4 that can start right away. I think we may get two of them in that range this year. Will do a mock in a bit with two Guards in that range.

If he's looking at day two OGs, that likely means he is looking at a defensive player with the first pick. Good.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Something he said stood out to me. He said there are Guards in rounds 2-4 that can start right away. I think we may get two of them in that range this year. Will do a mock in a bit with two Guards in that range.

Back to back picks in the 2nd could be used both on Guards but if Mewhort stays, Guard and tackle or Tackle and defensive player 

so many options, I love it 

Just now, TKnight24 said:

Back to back picks in the 2nd could be used both on Guards but if Mewhort stays, Guard and tackle or Tackle and defensive player 

Same, lots of options this year. Very positive we are going Chubb 6th overall as well.

Just now, TKnight24 said:

I hope not. Definitely think there is good interior OL depth there and one could/should be drafted on day two. But there is also very good WR and RB depth...and the Colts are in a prime spot to take advantage.

Just my guess, but I think that Ballard is targeting Chubb at #6 or an ILB, possibly in a trade back. And then of course, Ballard's comments about the G talent in the "2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds" stuck out.

He mentioned the Cowboys defense briefly (I know, duh, Eberflus) when talking about the defense, transitioning to speed/athleticism. When Hankins was released a lot Cowboys fans said the scheme change explanation sounded familiar, cautioning that you need very good ILB play for this defense to stop. When Lee got hurt their defense fell to pieces against it. And of course there's still the glaring lack of pass rush.

Just seems like there's a dire need for a blue chip player in the front 7.

Ballard said he thinks QBs will go 1-3 and could go 1-4...but also thinks there are 7-8 premium players to choose from in this draft?

We definitely agree on this. Depending on how the board falls, I think we could see another trade back. 

3 minutes ago, MTC said:

Another thing to note:

It did not sound like Ballard is prioritizing on adding another receiver (through the draft or free agency). Seems content with Hilton, Rogers, and Grant as the main guys. 

I felt the same way. I was a little disappointed to hear that he felt good about the WR depth with the mediocre signing of Grant. I was (am) really hoping for Meredith. I'd be good with our WR depth if we could get that done. 

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Ballard said he thinks QBs will go 1-3 and could go 1-4...but also thinks there are 7-8 premium players to choose from in this draft?

We definitely agree on this. Depending on how the board falls, I think we could see another trade back. 

Should mention he said there are a few QBs in the 7 to 8 players.

I honestly believe the Colts will stay put. They will draft whoever will fall to 6 between Nelson, Chubb, or Barkley. 

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Just my guess, but I think that Ballard is targeting Chubb at #6 or an ILB in a trade back. And then of course, Ballard's comments about the OL talent in the "2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds" stuck out.

He mentioned the Cowboys defense briefly (I know, duh, Eberflus) when talking about the defense, transitioning to speed/athleticism. When Hankins was released I saw a lot of Cowboys fans saying it looked familiar, cautioning that you need very good ILB play for this kind of defense to succeed against the run. When Lee got hurt their defense fell to pieces against the run. Luckily we still have Al Woods, for now at least, but if we release him then I could really see our run D start to suffer. And we already have pass rush issues.

Just seems like there's a desperate need for a blue chip player on defense, and I think that's what they're targeting.

Since he wasn't really connected to any of the ILB options (outside of the obvious Hitchens connection), I have had this feeling that he's eyeing someone early to be the starting MIKE. My preference is another trade down and get Edmunds.

1 minute ago, MTC said:

I honestly believe the Colts will stay put. They will draft whoever will fall to 6 between Nelson, Chubb, or Barkley. 

Ok...I didn't hear it...was just going off the comments. That certainly changes things.

9 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I felt the same way. I was a little disappointed to hear that he felt good about the WR depth with the mediocre signing of Grant. I was (am) really hoping for Meredith. I'd be good with our WR depth if we could get that done. 

he's not gonna announce publicly if he's done signing FA.  He actually said that even though they feel good that they'll continue looking at the market...

2 minutes ago, MTC said:

I’d say the only way we trade down is if one of the top 4 QB’s slips to us and we get blown away by another QB thirsty team. I can’t see us going further back than Buffalo’s 12th pick. If Ballard feels he can still get Smith or Edmunds I could see the rationale.

But , this is all unlikely and would have to happen when the Colts are on the clock. The Giants and Broncos are still wildcards in all of this , imo.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

he's not gonna announce publicly if he's done signing FA.  He actually said that even though they feel good that they'll continue looking at the market...

Exactly , no chance you disclose everything.

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Braden smith from auburn is one of them

4 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I really hope that's not the case. The Colts WR group was weak last season...and it's even worse now...especially long-term.

The Colts still need two WRs. Meredith would be a good get, but he too is nothing more than a question mark with his injury. 

I believe there are starting WRs in rounds 2-3 of this draft. You might be able to get a top 3 WR prospect at that point. For example, Christian Kirk would immediately be the second best WR on this team. 

So I will be pretty disappointed if Ballard passes up WR.

6 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I’d say the only way we trade down is if one of the top 4 QB’s slips to us and we get blown away by another QB thirsty team. I can’t see us going further back than Buffalo’s 12th pick. If Ballard feels he can still get Smith or Edmunds I could see the rationale.

But , this is all unlikely and would have to happen when the Colts are on the clock. The Giants and Broncos are still wildcards in all of this , imo.

I would say that in the scenario one of those QBs falls to #6, Ballard verly likelh trades back (probably to #11 or #12)...netting more day two picks and a future pick in the process. 

And then, since the prices will be much cheaper to trade back up for non-QB players, he can just use one of his extra picks to move back up and get his guy...and still come out way ahead.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I would say that in the scenario one of those QBs falls to #6, Ballard verly likelh trades back (probably to #11 or #12)...netting more day two picks and a future pick in the process. 

And then, since the prices will be much cheaper to trade back up for non-QB players, he can just use one of his extra picks to move back up and get his guy...and still come out way ahead.

If we trade down , I highly doubt we’ll trade back up.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Ballard mentions how big spenders in free agency tend to not consistently win. The big spenders are the ones who are constantly re-tooling. Says this will be the new norm going forward.

Edit: 

By new norm, Ballard explains how Colts will continue to not be big spenders in free agency going forward. They will focus on building through the draft. 

This reminds me of the Bill Polian way of doing free agency.  He never really chased the premium free agents and was always getting beat up about it on this message board.  

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Same, lots of options this year. Very positive we are going Chubb 6th overall as well.

Not sure about that.  If they were in love with Chubb, they wouldn't have traded down.  

...and I wouldn't expect him to be perfectly honest heading into the draft.  If you were open to trading down and wanted to drive up the price, what would you say?   You would say the things he said in this interview.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Ballard mentions how big spenders in free agency tend to not consistently win. The big spenders are the ones who are constantly re-tooling. Says this will be the new norm going forward.

Edit: 

By new norm, Ballard explains how Colts will continue to not be big spenders in free agency going forward. They will focus on building through the draft. 

I think there is definitely a happy medium. FA and building through the draft aren't mutually exclusive. You can, and should, do both. If a good FA (or FAs) becomes available that fits your team (need, scheme, locker room, etc.), it would be foolish to not go after him if you had the cap space. Simiarly, if you can get a good player for a mid-late pick, that's another avenue that should be explored.

So this line in the sand is sort of where Ballard starts to lose me. I am not sure what his definition of "big spenders" is, but recent history is not on his side when he makes statement about teams that spend in FA don't consistently win.

Teams that have recently (in the past 5 years) made FA splashes and have had multiple good seasons (won consistently) include NE, SEA, ATL and DEN. Those are Super Bowl teams. And depending on how they do this season, JAC and PHI can join this list.

Sure those teams weren't built in FA, but it definitley played a role in their success. So I think (and hope) when the Colts have a few more players in place, Ballard will use FA.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Ballard says he cut Hankins due to scheme. Mentions athleticism and speed. Sounds like they tried to trade him away, but nothing came about. 

Exactly what I said was likely when some forum peeps were ragging upon his release that Ballard is dumb for not at least trading him.  Like I said, as if Ballard didn’t explore such options.   Nice to hear that, as wise people know, the Colts are on top of things. :)

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Worth pointing out that in this interview Ballard emphasized the depth of the inside O-linemen group in the 2nd to 4th round. This leads me to believe that drafting a G/C in that range will be a priority. He said you can get day 1 starter from that group. I don't know what it means for Nelson and his prospects at being drafted to the Colts at 6. I still think if Chubb is there, he's our pick. 

Just now, stitches said:

Worth pointing out that in this interview Ballard emphasized the depth of the inside O-linemen group in the 2nd to 4th round. This leads me to believe that drafting a G/C in that range will be a priority. He said you can get day 1 starter from that group. I don't know what it means for Nelson and his prospects at being drafted to the Colts at 6. I still think if Chubb is there, he's our pick. 

this draft is very deep on OGs......and I guess regarding Nelson, it'll depend on who's still available at 6.

We spent money in free agency last year.  We are and will likely continue to spend money in free agency this year.  Whether you spend it and land an all-pro like Norwell or add up a few Autry, Sheard, Simon and Ebron-types, it's still being spent.  Sure, it's lower risk, but when you have no game changers, difference makers or blue chip players on your roster, I'm not sure it's wise.  That said, I don't buy that it was a conscious decision on Ballard's part.  The better free agents simply chose other destinations, and this is how you save face.