Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard interview 11am ET

TKnight24

I as well as other forum members I’m sure will post all notes, updates, news, etc etc from this interview here in this thread 

Chris Ballard thus far has been very direct and informative in all his interviews and conferences. Wouldn’t be mad if we heard more of Ballard & Reich, less of Irsay. Hearing direct and thoughtful answers as opposed to the um button from Irsay is just easier on the ears :)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ballard has been pretty straight forward and honest about his process so far. It seems like people are upset because they didn't actually listen to what he was saying and continued to have unrealistic/mismatching expectations about what the Colts were going to do. He said from the very start that he will not overpay for players in FA and will use the draft picks as main building blocks and FA as supplement. 

Before FA started I thought going for high impact players was the way to go, but once it became clear that you will have to overpay for those high impact players it dawned on me that we are not getting anyone of major consequence. And I'm OK with it. I think with time his strategy has crystallized and we can now more clearly see what he's doing. He doesn't seem like a GM who thinks his team is close to competing and thus he doesn't think signing high end FAs for big money will be prudent in this situation(i.e. it would be waste of money for improvements that will end up not being enough and will lead to nowhere). Instead he seems to be doubling down on homegrown talent and hoarding capspace that he will roll over for next year's free agency when hopefully we will have 4-5 new homegrown starters that are showing great promise and the team will be closer to competing. 

I would be listening closely again and try to glean over what he's thinking about in constructing the roster and the draft. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Ballard has been pretty straight forward and honest about his process so far. It seems like people are upset because they didn't actually listen to what he was saying and continued to have unrealistic/mismatching expectations about what the Colts were going to do. He said from the very start that he will not overpay for players in FA and will use the draft picks as main building blocks and FA as supplement. 

Before FA started I thought going for high impact players was the way to go, but once it became clear that you will have to overpay for those high impact players it dawned on me that we are not getting anyone of major consequence. And I'm OK with it. I think with time his strategy has crystallized and we can now more clearly see what he's doing. He doesn't seem like a GM who thinks his team is close to competing and thus he doesn't think signing high end FAs for big money will be prudent in this situation(i.e. it would be waste of money for improvements that will end up not being enough and will lead to nowhere). Instead he seems to be doubling down on homegrown talent and hoarding capspace that he will roll over for next year's free agency when hopefully we will have 4-5 new homegrown starters that are showing great promise and the team will be closer to competing. 

I would be listening closely again and try to glean over what he's thinking about in constructing the roster and the draft. 

I agree and feel like spending big bucks on FA this year would be a waste.  Just look at all the $$$ the Redskins spent on FA in the past and it got them nowhere.  They had a few mega millionaires who sat and watched the playoffs at home on TV like the rest of us.

10 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Umm, umm...you're umm correct...uh, yes...correct

Look, let me just say this...Irsay does say umm a lot.  That's true.  But look, let me just say this too, CB says "look" and "let me just say this" almost as much. lol

1 minute ago, MTC said:Ballard said he didn't want to drop too far back. Says there are 7-8 players that are premium difference makers. Predicts that QBs will go top 3 or even 4. 

Qb’s going 1-4 would be beyond ideal.

That would just leave Denver to spoil the party.

Ballard did not think that Melvin fit the new scheme either. 

In terms of Eric Ebron, Ballard says they did a lot of research on him. Mentions how he is 24 years old and shows flashes of potential. Likes the tight end depth of Doyle, Ebron, Swoope, and Travis.

Ballard mentions how big spenders in free agency tend to not consistently win. The big spenders are the ones who are constantly re-tooling. Says this will be the new norm going forward.

Edit: 

By new norm, Ballard explains how Colts will continue to not be big spenders in free agency going forward. They will focus on building through the draft. 

Mentions Grant is a reliable receiver with a lot of upside. Matt Slauson a veteran player who Ballard knows well. Brings a lot of leadership and presence.

Ballard says now its all about depth. Says he is continuing to look for linebackers and offensive line in the market. 

Just now, csmopar said:

Ballard said he didn't understand how the local fans felt about new england until the McDaniels saga. Said the Rivalry is back on just popped out

Yeah right....that was for Irsay. No doubt he wanted some red meat...and it didn't feel natural for Ballard...but he tossed it in afterwards.

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i heard jack signed with the panthers

Not sure where you heard that. It's not reported anywhere.

There was a rumor that Mewhort visited the Vikings a few days ago, but it was never confirmed.