Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Jensen Visiting Colts Today

1959Colts

30 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

EVERYBODY IS TOO EXPENSIVE...All you hear on here...You get what you pay for more often than not, and we ain't paying so far...

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the problem with free agency is that you typically DON'T get what you pay for.

That's why guys get cut all the time long before their contract is up.  

Why do so many people here NOT understand this.

Free agency is often Fools Gold.

Thats why GMs always say...  "Build through the draft!"       Hello!?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion, you build through the draft and Free Agency.

We all know the risks associated with the draft. We all know the risks associated with Free Agency. Navigate those risks to the best of your ability and take your best shot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the problem with free agency is that you typically DON'T get what you pay for.

You can't solely build through the draft if you're the Colts...Our old era could because we had a foundation of great picks...This team has too many holes..We have the money and nobody big of our own to sign in near future..By the time guys we sign now contracts would be up then hopefully we do have our own developed guys to resign..Right now we really don't so if we are gonna be competitive this year at least try! If it doesn't work out it still won't hurt us long term..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Build through the draft that's definitely the preferred road.  But seven picks a year could take some time and we have a franchise QB and fan base that is anxious for his first SB.  I am now all aboard on trading back that 3rd. pick with Buffalo ,for example ,and get five or six top round picks to accelerate the process.  We need FA's too but if we trade back this year we could shorten the rebuilding process by a year with any luck.  That's the train I'm on now.  I'm just hoping Ballard can get our OL improved this year so we can hopefully cut down his chances of getting seriously hurt again.  That OL needs major attention. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

You can't solely build through the draft if you're the Colts...Our old era could because we had a foundation of great picks...This team has too many holes..We have the money and nobody big of our own to sign in near future..By the time guys we sign now contracts would be up then hopefully we do have our own developed guys to resign..Right now we really don't so if we are gonna be competitive this year at least try! If it doesn't work out it still won't hurt us long term..

I understand all that.

The reason why almost no team sits out free agency anymore is the new CBA mandates teams have to spend a rough basic amount most every year.   So there is a rough floor of money to spend.

So...  if you have to spend the money, then you re-sign your best players and throw the rest of your money at free agency and try to make as few mistakes as possible. 

But most FA contracts don't last to the end.   Sooner or later,  teams cut their losses and move on...

8 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

Why not. It’s not coming out of your pocket. 

Well when you put it like that, how can I refuse? 

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I think it could be both...from the players and Ballard. Obviously the players don't know for sure about Luck...but the uncertainty could impact their decision. But Ballard has that information on Luck (if anyone does). And if he knows something, that could certainly influence what he is willing to offer. I don't see him spending big money in FA in that scenario. I hate to be pessismistic, but the Colts, so far, haven't acted like a team that has a top QB returning next season.

Last offseason, I assume they thought Luck would be back. But with Pagano still here...the approach they took made more sense. Still, they were connected to big-time FAs. This offseason, other than a report regarding Norwell (which might have been misinformation), it's been a couple of guys like Autry and Jensen. I don't believe the Colts are in on Suh...he has said he wants to be paid so it only makes sense for his agent to leak that one of the most cap-rich teams are in on him...even if they aren't.

What makes you think that Jacoby will be taking the lion's share of snaps again? Luck reportedly is working with Tom House on his throwing motion right now & please don't give that Irsay conspiracy to raise ticket prices rhetoric either.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God...   can you please stop with the...    "it doesn't make any sense."  

We get you're unhappy.

We made a huge offer.  We were a finalist for Norwell.    He accepted another offer.

Brace yourself:   Odds are we will not get Nelson either.   Odds are Ballard will trade back.   And Ballard will try to add a guard either at the top of R2 or R3.

This is the NFL, not Christmas morning. You don't always get what you want.

Great. I never get what I really want on Christmas either. Son of a... haha

6 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

But if you try sometime, you just might find...

The Stones aren't my favorite band...Highly overrated as a group...Still funny though...

33 minutes ago, IinD said:

It's probably why there are so many $1 stores in America...lol

Also people forget the cap keeps going up. It'll be a bargain in a few years. Guards in FA will probably be pushing high teens, low 20's in the next 4-5 years.

If we land Jensen, somehow I don't think "Dollar Tree RJ" is gonna stick as his new INDY nickname. Nice try though LD. LOL! 

32 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I think it is fair to claim that about him. Other people have called him "feisty".

He is a rugged guy w a whistle-to-whistle motor and mean streak. But not an overall hot-head.

I would say he is similar in style to a Richie Incognito without some of the bone-head moves.

He committed 4 penalties total last year. 3 holding penalties in the same game against Cincy and then one unnecessary roughness penalty against Pitt (which is always a chippy game as folks know).

Again he is a solid up-and-coming guy. I wouldn't have originally pegged us as a team willing to pay him $10M, but we could do far worse than spending our money on him.

That's his biggest asset or selling point: Minimal yellow flags something the whole squad needs to improve on. The versatility, swiss army knife argument works too I guess as a recruitment plug for the salary he would demand I suppose. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Build through the draft that's definitely the preferred road.  But seven picks a year could take some time and we have a franchise QB and fan base that is anxious for his first SB.  I am now all aboard on trading back that 3rd. pick with Buffalo ,for example ,and get five or six top round picks to accelerate the process.  We need FA's too but if we trade back this year we could shorten the rebuilding process by a year with any luck.  That's the train I'm on now.  I'm just hoping Ballard can get our OL improved this year so we can hopefully cut down his chances of getting seriously hurt again.  That OL needs major attention. 

You can if you hit on some real good players and they play well for 10 years.  4 or 5, then fill in the rest and churn the rest as the years go by.

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Well when you put it like that, how can I refuse? 

What makes you think that Jacoby will be taking the lion's share of snaps again? Luck reportedly is working with Tom House on his throwing motion right now & please don't give that Irsay conspiracy to raise ticket prices rhetoric either.

Great. I never get what I really want on Christmas either. Son of a... haha

The Stones aren't my favorite band...Highly overrated as a group...Still funny though...

If we land Jensen, somehow I don't think "Dollar Tree RJ" is gonna stick as his new INDY nickname. Nice try though LD. LOL! 

That's his biggest asset or selling point: Minimal yellow flags something the whole squad needs to improve on. The versatility, swiss army knife argument works too I guess as a recruitment plug for the salary he would demand I suppose. 

The Stones are overrated???  You are dead to me.

i kid, but they are the greatest rock n roll band of all time.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Stones are definitely Top 5 on my list. Mick and crew rock at age 70 haha. I am not sure who the best is to me because I like all kinds of music.  There is so many different kinds of music from Paul McCartney/Beatles, to the Who, to Pink Floyd, to Kiss even lmao. Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons both are like 100 aren't they and they still jam and get the women haha 

16 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Blah! Ha! Ha! There's a reason Johnny Depp used Keith Richards as inspiration for the Jack Sparrow character on his Pirates Of The Caribbean movie franchise BOTT. Keith has been around too long & he looks like a walking skeleton that chain smokes constantly. 

depp-richards_1774403c.jpg

Technically, I said the Stones were overrated not talentless. A lot like U2.

I do like "Beast Of Burden," Brown Sugar," & "Paint It Black" 3 classics that hold up remarkably well even today.

No harm done. It's all good man. :thmup:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Blah! Ha! Ha! There's a reason Johnny Depp used Keith Richards as inspiration for Jack Sparrow character on his Pirates Of The Caribbean movie franchise BOTT. Keith has been around too long & he looks like a walking skeleton that chain smokes constantly. 

I do like "Beast Of Burden," Brown Sugar," & "Paint It Black" 3 classics that hold up remarkably well even today.

I could say something but I won’t 

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Queen or Styx for me

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love Styx! Queen is no slouch either.

Excellent choices fellas. Freddie had incredible power & range. I saw Queen live once. OMG could that man sing. Jesus! Styx excels with power ballads. "Come Sail Away" will never die as a landmark song either. Long after I'm gone, radio stations will still be playing that track. 

For me, it's a 3 headed tie between Rainbow, DIO, & Heart. Ann & Nancy Wilson made so much groundbreaking music from the 70's through the 90's. Love bands that know how to harmonize & rock with front men in the music business. They were the real Seattle sound long before Nirvana & Pearl Jam hit the scene. Just saying. 

I'm told that the Bucs really love Ryan Jensen. He fits the new mentality they want with their offensive line -- absolute dogs in the trenches, guys who are "full of spit and vinegar." http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0765950697622478682-4 
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

...Absolute dog in the trenches!

I am starting to get onboard the Jensen train.

JennaLaineESPN

I'm told that the Bucs really love Ryan Jensen. He fits the new mentality they want with their offensive line -- absolute dogs in the trenches, guys who are "full of spit and vinegar." http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0765950697622478682-4 

Too bad they let him get on the plane

I’m doing some research on Jensen, I found out that he had a severe sleep apnea problem. He was getting only 90 minutes of sleep per night and losing weight. Since that problem has been addressed, he has a breakthrough season. 

Below is link to an article praising his play:

http://www.cecildaily.com/spotlight/ravens-ryan-jensen-emerging-as-one-of-league-s-best/article_24da887e-27e2-57fa-8c79-cef69256fe57.html

The second article has a video clip that is only 1 play but I think showcases his movement skills and nasty streak 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/10/12/16465472/ravens-center-ryan-jensen-nfl-offensive-linemen-blocks-damn-good

• Like 1

Just now, bertjones7 said:

I’m doing some research on Jensen, I found out that he had a severe sleep apnea problem. He was not getting 90 minutes of sleep per night and losing weight. Since that problem has been addressed, he has a breakthrough season. 

Below is link to an article praising his play:

http://www.cecildaily.com/spotlight/ravens-ryan-jensen-emerging-as-one-of-league-s-best/article_24da887e-27e2-57fa-8c79-cef69256fe57.html

The second article has a video clip that is only 1 play but I think showcases his movement skills and nasty streak 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/10/12/16465472/ravens-center-ryan-jensen-nfl-offensive-linemen-blocks-damn-good

Interesting 

When Jim sends out the private jet he usually gets his man. Hopefully that continues. That would make two very solid signings. I'm on board and been on board with the way Ballard is approaching everything. Just keep bringing in more and more of these John Simon /Jabaal Sheard Blue collar type workers with upside who like to get after it and have something to prove and things will look much better before the draft hits. Hes going to keep bringing in these types all the way up till the draft via FA. Then stack a strong draft on top of them and it will look much better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Blah! Ha! Ha! There's a reason Johnny Depp used Keith Richards as inspiration for the Jack Sparrow character on his Pirates Of The Caribbean movie franchise BOTT. Keith has been around too long & he looks like a walking skeleton that chain smokes constantly. 

I'm not a big Stones fan either, but you gotta drop 'Beast of Burden', and insert 'Monkey Man', and I'm right there with ya.

I also like their really old stuff like 'Heart of Stone' stuff. Basically, I like a lot of their stuff through the very early '70s, then I'm done with them.

I know a lot of well trained, veterans that are Colts fans, maybe would should surround the complex and not let the guy leave until he signs!!!! lmao

Come on Ballard, sign this guy.  I've been reading up on him for the last 2 hours, THIS is our guy!

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I played C or G for 10 seasons(3rd12th Grade) and then coached the position for about 7

My Demonstration Speech in Speech Class was How to Pull and Seal in the Princeton Wing T O

Given your knowledge of the position group is there anyone left in FA that you have your eye on? And did you think the jags "overpaid" for Norwell?

1 minute ago, Sumo63 said:

Given your knowledge of the position group is there anyone left in FA that you have your eye on? And did you think the jags "overpaid" for Norwell?

I like Jensen and even Fluker not sure who else is left because of my focus on NDWBB, PCHS BB and the GCYC and Yes

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Every cigarette you smoke, the universe takes a day off your life... and gives it to Keith Richards

• Like 1

Regarding the building through FA versus the Draft...you gotta do a combination of both. But mostly, you get your stars and core players from the draft. You use FA to supplement that talent with guys that fit your scheme and have potentially high upside. You shouldn't look to get superstars through FA, because chances are, if they are even in FA, they aren't a superstar. Yes, there have been examples of great teams (like the 2015 Broncos) having a ton of FAs come in and contribute as stars, but those teams were likely already established. Plus most of the time, teams are built through the draft.

Meanwhile, everyone is freaking out because we didn't get Norwell. Most reports have stated the Colts tried to get him. They were even finalists. He just happened to go to J'Ville. Lets not act like the Colts absolutely didn't try to get him. If a report comes out that Ballard offered the same - if not more -  than the Jags did, would people still be mad?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Regarding the building through FA versus the Draft...you gotta do a combination of both. But mostly, you get your stars and core players from the draft. You use FA to supplement that talent with guys that fit your scheme and have potentially high upside. You shouldn't look to get superstars through FA, because chances are, if they are even in FA, they aren't a superstar. Yes, there have been examples of great teams (like the 2015 Broncos) having a ton of FAs come in and contribute as stars, but those teams were likely already established. Plus most of the time, teams are built through the draft.

Meanwhile, everyone is freaking out because we didn't get Norwell. Most reports have stated the Colts tried to get him. They were even finalists. He just happened to go to J'Ville. Lets not act like the Colts absolutely didn't try to get him. If a report comes out that Ballard offered the same - if not more -  than the Jags did, would people still be mad?

Yes they would. Those that are prone to have that mindset finds ways to be negative and mad at something.

I'm not familiar with Jensen but I know he played center last season for the Ravens. If he comes to Indianapolis who already has a good center, he will be asked to play guard (Which I heard he can play) The bad news for the Colts is he may not want to play center or he may be seeking top dollar on the market as a center, which I don't see the Colts doing.