Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Jensen Visiting Colts Today

1959Colts

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Apparently you don't realize how Bad our O.Line is. Luck isn't the only one that has been getting injured and kicked around for years. Every QB we have had has been getting injured or banged up. From Hass to whoever. Brissett was the most sacked QB last season. So Luck isn't the problem. He needs blocking. Luck can get rid of the ball quicker but you can only mask the problem for so long. Peyton got rid of the ball quick but Peyton also had a better O.Line than we have had in this era. In 2006 our O.Line manhandled the Bears in the SB if you go back and watch. Our O.Line now isn't even close to that.

He has been part of the problem. So has the coaching. Let's see if those tow things are fixed and then look at what is truly wrong with the o-line. 

Just now, Four2itus said:

He has been part of the problem. So has the coaching. Let's see if those tow things are fixed and then look at what is truly wrong with the o-line. 

Of course a new scheme would help and I even said he should get rid of the ball quicker but with a Bad O.Line it will still catch up to a team. I guess if people want to stay pat that is their prerogative, to those people don't complain then when we don't add Good players to the O.Line because they want an extra Mill or 2.

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

I will say this:

Our forum is a very, very difficult bunch to please.

So let me get this straight:

- If we do not sign OL players, we are not addressing one of our most glaring weaknesses and we are not trying to protect Luck and we are wasting his talent and getting him hurt, etc etc etc

-If we try to sign the best guy (Norwell) and miss out (for whatever the reasoning is) then us turning to another guy who isn't as good as Norwell is met w angst

-If we pay Jensen $10M a year and he is even 70% as good of a Guard as Norwell is, then he is actually worth the contract! Yet we complain that we would be overpaying Jensen and should have spent more on Norwell.

Is Jensen an upgrade if we get him over what we have? Yes he is.

Does Jensen offer versatility and flexibility? Yes he does.

Is Jensen arguably better than Fulton who everyone else seemed to want? In my humble opinion yes he is.

Why the heck did this forum not explode over the idea of signing Fulton as a Guard when Fulton just played Center most recently for KC and when Fulton graded out better at Center than Guard?

If we can get Jensen for $10M a year or less then get him. Once he is here we play the best combo of the top 5 guys on the line that we can. I believe it will be Kelly at Center and Jensen at Guard. But if that flips then so be it.

Fulton has ~4x the starting experience at G that Jensen has. And Fulton signed for $7.5M, which is 75% of what Jensen is reportedly going to get. I like that gamble much. much better. 

I just can't imagine Kelly and Jensen competing to start at C...unless there is something we don't know about Kelly's concussion. I get having the versatility and insurance for Kelly, but making Kelly fight for his job seems unnecessary. He's one of the few (supposedly) stable pieces on this team.

Personally, I would much rather sign someone that actually has legit experience as an OG and bring back Mike Person as backup C. Will cost about the same and has far less question marks. And ideally, that OG has some versatility as well...like being able to play RT.

7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Fulton has ~4x the starting experience at G that Jensen has. And Fulton signed for $7.5M, which is 75% of what Jensen is reportedly going to get. I like that gamble much. much better. 

I just can't imagine Kelly and Jensen competing to start at C...unless there is something we don't know about Kelly's concussion. I get having the versatility and insurance for Kelly, but making Kelly fight for his job seems unnecessary. He's one of the few (supposedly) stable pieces on this team.

Personally, I would much rather sign someone that actually has legit experience as an OG and bring back Mike Person as backup C. Will cost about the same and has far less question marks. And ideally, that OG has some versatility as well...like being able to play RT.

And what if Ballard thinks Jensen is a better player than Fulton ?

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I would take him if the price is right. His run blocking is solid and he apparently showed some improvement in pass pro.

Believe me he isn't good, barely an improvement and you are not going to fix our Line with a guy like Fluker. 

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

There are different blocking systems, which require different type of guards. Inside zone, stretch zone, power/gap, hybrids, etc. Typical zone guards are lighter, more athletic and have good feet, power/gap guard are heavier, stronger who can drop and anchor. Techniques are much different.

So there is much more to consider when drafting or acquiring a guard than price tag and experience. I don't know yet what kind of rushing scheme Reich intends to implement (in Philly they ran everything, power, zone, trap, wham, that oline is a beast of its own), but the type of guys they are looking for heavily depends on that.

6 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Personally, I think I'd pass on Jensen for 10 mil per year.

Why?   Why is that the magic number?  Too expensive?  How do you know he's not worth 10M?  You got someone else in mind that's better or being cheaper is what we're looking for.  Ben Iljana was released.   Maybe you want him back.  Sorry to react so dramatically but it's not you.  It's so many comments like yours that drive me crazy. We have no idea what there value is.  The free market sets the price and if you want to play you pay.  Or you're left with nothing.  When are people going to realize that.  It is what it is.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Why?   Why is that the magic number?  Too expensive?  How do you know he's not worth 10M?  You got someone else in mind that's better or being cheaper is what we're looking for.  Ben Iljana was released.   Maybe you want him back.  Sorry to react so dramatically but it's not you.  It's so many comments like yours that drive me crazy. We have no idea what there value is.  The free market sets the price and if you want to play you pay.  Or you're left with nothing.  When are people going to realize that.  It is what it is.

Before today, have you ever heard of Ryan Jensen?

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

EVERYBODY IS TOO EXPENSIVE...All you hear in this forum...You get what you pay for more often than not, and we ain't paying so far...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

There are different blocking systems, which require different type of guards. Inside zone, stretch zone, power/gap, hybrids, etc. Typical zone guards are lighter, more athletic and have good feet, power/gap guard are heavier, stronger who can drop and anchor. Techniques are much different.

So there is much more to consider when drafting or acquiring a guard than price tag and experience. I don't know yet what kind of rushing scheme Reich intends to implement (in Philly they ran everything, power, zone, trap, wham, that oline is a beast of its own), but the type of guys they are looking for heavily depends on that.

I assumed Reich would adapt his blocking scheme to the personnel he has...as they did in PHI. Which is why I admit I am not sure what they are looking for in an OG. Norwell was obvious, given that he is an All-Pro and would have fit any scheme. And ideally, you have OL players that are scheme-versatile. But they are not easy to acquire...as we saw with Norwell. So I am interested to see who they ultimately sign.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

But did you ever hear of him?

I know I have been one saying I'd like to sign him so I will speak up for myself here.

Yes, I have heard of him and watched him a good amount. But I also live in Maryland in Ravens country, so I have seen him considerably over the past year and would enjoy having him.

I agree with everyone that he isn't a guy you'd normally hear of or think of when you think $10M offensive lineman.

But I also know that in this year's market he is at least an $8M guy and if you base his cost on being similar to Richburg who got $9.5M a year then it is not that far fetched.

1 minute ago, HarryTheCat said:

I heard of him last month when I read their list. Then looked up his stats. Looks like a decent pick-up if he fits the Colts' blocking scheme. 

Its hard to judge an offensive lineman based on stats.

I believe you need to watch film to make an accurate determination.

1 minute ago, TomDiggs said:

I know I have been one saying I'd like to sign him so I will speak up for myself here.

Yes, I have heard of him and watched him a good amount. But I also live in Maryland in Ravens country, so I have seen him considerably over the past year and would enjoy having him.

I agree with everyone that he isn't a guy you'd normally hear of or think of when you think $10M offensive lineman.

But I also know that in this year's market he is at least an $8M guy and if you base his cost on being similar to Richburg who got $9.5M a year then it is not that far fetched.

From what I saw, he looks like a fiery type of player, with a mean streak.

Can you say if you noticed this about Jensen? 

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Before today, have you ever heard of Ryan Jensen?

I don't why that matters but honestly yes.  I read up on him as I was going over all the FA prospects especially the OL. But I have no idea what his contract should be. That's not my job or expertise. That's for the GM's and coaches to figure out.  It's a free market and that's what's going to determine his value.  We need OL. along with many other teams.  Just because he might not be a household name doesn't mean he can't play or he doesn't deserve a good contract.  I hope we get him and I think he would be a solid starter for us.  I really don't care what we pay him.  If we get him then Ballard thought he was worth whatever contract they agreed to. 

19 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

EVERYBODY IS TOO EXPENSIVE...All you hear on here...You get what you pay for more often than not, and we ain't paying so far...

It's probably why there are so many $1 stores in America...lol

Also people forget the cap keeps going up. It'll be a bargain in a few years. Guards in FA will probably be pushing high teens, low 20's in the next 4-5 years.

• Like 2

Its hard to judge an offensive lineman based on stats.

I believe you need to watch film to make an accurate determination.

In 2017, started all 16 games, 2 total penalties (both for holding, no false starts) credited with allowing 2.5 sacks. I think we probably have some guys on the roster who have given up that many sacks and taken that many penalties by the end of the second quarter.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

From what I saw, he looks like a fiery type of player, with a mean streak.

Can you say if you noticed this about Jensen? 

I think it is fair to claim that about him. Other people have called him "feisty".

He is a rugged guy w a whistle-to-whistle motor and mean streak. But not an overall hot-head.

I would say he is similar in style to a Richie Incognito without some of the bone-head moves.

He committed 4 penalties total last year. 3 holding penalties in the same game against Cincy and then one unnecessary roughness penalty against Pitt (which is always a chippy game as folks know).

Again he is a solid up-and-coming guy. I wouldn't have originally pegged us as a team willing to pay him $10M, but we could do far worse than spending our money on him.

• Like 2

Just now, richard pallo said:

I don't why that matters but honestly yes.  I read up on him as I was going over all the FA prospects especially the OL. But I have no idea what his contract should be. That's not my job or expertise. That's for the GM's and coaches to figure out.  It's a free market and that's what's going to determine his value.  We need OL. along with many other teams.  Just because he might not be a household name doesn't mean he can't play or he doesn't deserve a good contract.  I hope we get him and I think he would be a solid starter for us.  I really don't care what we pay him.  If we get him then Ballard thought he was worth whatever contract they agreed to. 

I totally agree, it's the gms job to figure it out, not mine or yours.

Ballard seems to be very frugal and avoids overspending, which I do not have a problem with.

That is why I said I would pass for 10 million per year. From what I gather regarding Jensen, I just doubt he would live up to such a high number.

None of us know? Even the gms don't know? there is no crystal ball to see the future.

However, I have my doubts about this guy for premier dollars.

1 minute ago, HarryTheCat said:

In 2017, started all 16 games, 2 total penalties (both for holding, no false starts) credited with allowing 2.5 sacks. I think we probably have some guys on the roster who have given up that many sacks and taken that many penalties by the end of the second quarter.

Those stats are great, however, sometimes its hard to assign blame on a lineman for giving up a sack. The lineman have different blocking assignments that are not easy to tell.

But really, its all about how he blocks. No stat can tell how good of a blocker a player is.

I totally agree, it's the gms job to figure it out, not mine or yours.

Ballard seems to be very frugal and avoids overspending, which I do not have a problem with.

That is why I said I would pass for 10 million per year. From what I gather regarding Jensen, I just doubt he would live up to such a high number.

None of us know? Even the gms don't know? there is no crystal ball to see the future.

However, I have my doubts about this guy for premier dollars.

If GMs didn’t take a chance most of the time, the HOF would be very small

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If GMs didn’t take a chance most of the time, the HOF would be very small

Should be interesting. Apparently Jensen left TB without signing a contract.

Will Ballard pull the trigger on this guy? I kind of doubt it.

https://thepewterplank.com/2018/03/15/tampa-bay-buccaneers-ryan-jensen-leaves-without-signing/

Can we track this flight?

Is this Irsay's personal Learjet?

Sources tell me Ryan Jensen's visit has concluded with the Bucs and he is boarding a private plane right now to Indianapolis to visit the Colts, as scheduled. Yes, the Colts sent a private plane down to Tampa. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0766012642971095439-4