Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Jensen Visiting Colts Today

1959Colts

Really wanted him. Knew we’d have to pay. And said once he crept past $10M a year I’d get hesitant. But all along it made sense for him to go between 9-11M. He got the higher end of that. Good for him. Bad for us. Now we need to see if pouncey or Pugh is an option. 

I can see why tampa was confident when he left. W how frugal Ballard is they made this offer and probably knew the colts wouldn’t beat it despite having the cash to do so. 

Just now, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Yeaaaa i’m good with passing on this one.  Definitely isn’t worth this much.  Just worried it may had set Pouncey and Pugh market higher than that.  The check book may actually have to open for this 2nd and 3rd tier guys sadly...

You are right on point if we are trying to move fast. Which all our fans are whining for us to do. 

The only way the second and third tier guys come down in price is when they’ve lingered for awhile and aren’t getting what they want and then settle for smaller one year deals. 

This is yet another challenge for us. Because we aren’t competing right away so we don’t want one year guys. We want them below market value for multiple years. 

You dont get that on name guys or young up and coming guys. You get it on guys w question marks. Or guys that are totally unproven. 

So I believe you’re right. If we want a pouncey or a Pugh we will have to pay 9-10M a year for them to get them right away and keep them out of everyone else’s hands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bubba_Rebel said:

Some of y'all should sue your brain for non support...the contract is ridiculously high...is he even a top 5 center in football? I would probably not have him in the top 10.. and he is now the highest paid... 

We either overpay to protect Andrew or we go bargain bin shopping for scrubs.  We already have scrubs.

This wasn't our last opportunity, but Ballard is gonna have to pony up at some point.

2 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I don't know much about the salary cap, but I don't think the money rolls over.  I'm not sure what we're waiting on, here.

I get the building phase but I would think one or two FA's on the line (or in other positions) while we're building isn't a bad thing.

100% rolls over

2 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

We either overpay to protect Andrew or we go bargain bin shopping for scrubs.  We already have scrubs.

This wasn't our last opportunity, but Ballard is gonna have to pony up at some point.

I'm about in the same boat as you.  

I do not think any of these guys should be demanding this kind of money, but obviously this is the market price.  

Colts need to spend some money to protect AL12.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

I just had a funny image in my head of Ballard pushing a shopping cart next to Irsay, hearing about a sale on the intercom, and then both of them running, trying to maneuver the cart through the aisles only to find the shelves empty.

8 minutes ago, MTC said:

I’m okay with passing on the highest paid center in the NFL.

Me too.

I'm fine with seeing what improvements the team will make by just simply changing coaches and schemes.  Ballard will get the holes filled by September if not before.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

So every FA that signed has been overpaid? That’s all I keep reading here

Yes. But that's FA and that's market price.  

If you want to play you're going to have to pay. 

Although I think the Raiders got a bargain in Melvin.

36 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I don't know much about the salary cap, but I don't think the money rolls over.  I'm not sure what we're waiting on, here.

I get the building phase but I would think one or two FA's on the line (or in other positions) while we're building isn't a bad thing.

Unspent money does roll over

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

No but making a guy the highest paid center in the league after just one year, a contract year, is kind of crazy

Besides Melvin, this forum has said 95% of the signees has been overpaid. 

I rather lose trying than lose after being stagnant and reluctant to spend money

Just now, csmopar said:

No but making a guy the highest paid center in the league after just one year, a contract year, is kind of crazy

Not singling you out cs but you know what is even crazier?? Going year after year of getting your QB's mashed and bashed and not fixing the problem. That is what is frustrating me the most about this. Fix the damn OL  Ballard...if ya don't do anything else...FIX THE LINE!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

This is one of the reasons that worry me.  Unless Ballard has a plan to bring in Jenson, Pugh, and try to acquire Nelson or some serious OL picks, I'm worried they're standing pat and if Luck comes back he's going to be in the same situation he was before.  That being said, a much more competent coaching staff would help dramatically, especially with a scheme where Luck doesn't have to run around like a chicken with its head cut off waiting for routes to develop.  

With regards to the Wrs though, even in a quick passing scheme they don't have much WR capability either.  In the end Luck may be running around regardless, scrambling for his life.  

3 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

Not singling you out cs but you know what is even crazier?? Going year after year of getting your QB's mashed and bashed and not fixing the problem. That is what is frustrating me the most about this. Fix the damn OL  Ballard...if ya don't do anything else...FIX THE LINE!!

Fair point.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with the Colts spending $$$$$$$ on the Oline.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, k9copinmd said:

I completely agree. 1000 percent. I'm simply saying that I can understand the rationale behind it. Not saying I agree with it, but I get it 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I rather lose trying than lose after being stagnant and reluctant to spend money

Yep but that's also free agency every year. 

Maybe I'm totally off base here...but I feel like some of the same people who are saying the Bucs overpaid for Jensen (and other FA's we missed out on) would be completely fine with/or outright defending Ballard had we been the ones paying up.

Personally, I'm of the belief that this is like the year NBA free agency went wild. That this is the new market being set. I would've been fine had we given this contract to Jensen. Not least of which because there's likely an out after year 2, and it's not like we're saving up money for any huge re-signings within the next couple years.

32 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Respectfully....    and I'm not talking about you specifically...    but to address your comment....

Most members of our community are clueless about money.    They don't know what players are worth.   They make silly recommendations on what they think the Colts should offer that are completely unrealistic.   Then the player signs for far more money than the poster thought and they react with outrage...

Happens every year...   this year is no exception.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Maybe I'm totally off basehere. But I feel like some of the same people who are saying the Bucs overpaid for Jensen (and other FA's we missed out on) would be completely fine with, if not outright defending, Ballard had he doled out these contracts.

Personally, I'm of the belief that this is like the year NBA free agency went wild. That this is the new market being set. I would've been fine had we given this contract to Jensen personally. Because there's likely an out after year 2 and we won't be making any huge re-signings by then anyways.

I'd be perfectly fine with it.  

Just don't think he's actually worth that much.  

But he improves the team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I'd be perfectly fine with it.  

Just don't think he's actually worth that much.  

But he improves the team.

Yeah, and we're in a unique position. We have a need for O-line unlike most other teams, and we have the money to dole out a hefty contract or two.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, and we're in a unique position. We have a need for O-line unlike most other teams, and we have the money to dole out a hefty contract or two.

I really don't think any Colts fan would be upset overpaying for any decent Oline-man.