Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyrann Mathieu is available!!!

We need to sign this guy! 25 years old, would be great compliment to Hooker..Between him and Geathers we could mix and match at safety and linebacker, or play 3 safeties...Gives us great position flexibility, and makes for a dangerous, opportunistic defense...

40 minutes ago, NextGenerationLuck said:

I’d sign him and put him at corner. Just imagine the badger and Quincy on the outside with hooker and Geathers plus Farley coming in and dropping Geathers down in the box. That secondary could be leathal. 

He hasn't played outside much. His success has come from the slot or slot/safety hybrid.

5 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I haven't read any stories that he's been released, just that he doesn't want to take a pay cut.  The Cardinals could just restructure his contract if they want to keep him.

He is owed 19 million guaranteed if on roster at start of new league yr with a 14.5 million cap hit, they have to cut him it is just a formality..He wouldn't restructure without testing the market..Cardinals can't pay him what other's will...He already said he won't take a pay cut..

23 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

He is owed 19 million guaranteed if on roster at start of new league yr with a 14.5 million cap hit, they have to cut him it is just a formality..He wouldn't restructure without testing the market..Cardinals can't pay him what other's will...He already said he won't take a pay cut..

Let's not jump the gun yet. If he don't want to leave his contract will get restructured or the Cards will find a way to free some money from somewhere else.

9 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Is he still good? Would he be worth the huge contract that he's going to get? If yes, then I'm all for it. Geathers can move to a linebacker or switch off with Mathieu at Safety.

Yes, he is a 25 year old Pro Bowl level player....He is a tight end killer..We need that playing against Gronk and Kelce in playoffs..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

That's only if they don't restructure his contract,  there are ways to reduce the cap hit and still pay him.

He probably will become available. NFC West now belongs to 49ers and Rams. So the seahawks and cardinals will cut bait and get younger. No need spend $ on high priced talent when your not going to contend.

About him playing CB because we have Hooker & Geathers at safety. Well Hooker I'm not sure he will ne ready openning day tering both MCL & ACL. And we all know how Geathers is injury prone. Infact last season we feared he may retire for safety reasons.

So another quality Safety is not a bad idea. 

36 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He probably will become available. NFC West now belongs to 49ers and Rams. So the seahawks and cardinals will cut bait and get younger. No need spend $ on high priced talent when your not going to contend.

About him playing CB because we have Hooker & Geathers at safety. Well Hooker I'm not sure he will ne ready openning day tering both MCL & ACL. And we all know how Geathers is injury prone. Infact last season we feared he may retire for safety reasons.

So another quality Safety is not a bad idea. 

I'm pretty sure Mathieu is better at SS, and an ACL is easy to recover from. Hooker should be recovered, if not fully, then at least partially.

45 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

If he somehow the Honey Badger came to Indy, I'd be like: 

Image result for honey badger gif

I wonder what he's dancing to? 'Celebrate' by Cool & The Gang or Rick James's 'Super Freak.' It's like a lava lamp. I can't stop watching that. haha

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

That's only if they don't restructure his contract,  there are ways to reduce the cap hit and still pay him.

Yeah, you're probably right. TM won't be leaving AZ anytime soon. Major bummer. The Cardinals aren't stupid. 

Crap, I get all excited & then I get a bucket of cold water dumped all over my head. Reality blows man. Oh well...when you're right; you're right CJN. 

If he gets released....  IF he's released, the HB would be an interesting player. 

A couple of points....

He's going to want a ton of money.  Arizona made him one of the highest paid safety's.   That's why Arizona wants him to re-do the deal.

The other point is that while Mathiu didn't miss a single game in 2017, he missed 14 games in his first four years.  Missed 3 or 4 games every season his first four years. That's nearly one full season out of his first four years.   That's a lot.   

And thats at what happens when you're 5'8" and 3/4 and 186 and have a violent style of play at a violent position.

All that said...   the HB is a turnover-making machine and Ballard loves him some turnovers.   Loves them!   

Sooooo....   maybe!

Just sayin.

Something I thought of when I heard this story come out. With the Cardinals not enamored with TM (at least at his current price tag), and also linked to that report yesterday about teams wanting to trade up to our pick at #3, could TM be a potential part of that trade up to our pick on draft day? I wouldnt be against trading down to 15 for a couple high picks and Mathieu. 

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

If he somehow the Honey Badger came to Indy, I'd be like: 

Image result for honey badger gif

I love documentaries on these creatures...they are so fascinating! It was like a rainy Sunday afternoon a couple weeks ago that I watched like 6 hours non-stop about them and wolverines. Just couldn't get enough!

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah, you're probably right. TM won't be leaving AZ anytime soon. Major bummer. The Cardinals aren't stupid. 

Crap, I get all excited & then I get a bucket of cold water dumped all over my head. Reality blows man. Oh well...when you're right; you're right CJN. 

If Arizona can't sign a top tier qb they would do well to restock the cupboard and start from scratch like Seattle is doing. Sell their guys high while they still have good value...such as Peterson and Mathieu. The only thing is that poor Larry Fitzgerald shouldn't have to stick around for that....but if your rebuilding with a young qb...might as well stock pile as many picks etc to help it go faster. There are a lot of good safety and corner help in this draft. Now is the time to do it.

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I may be right and then again I may not. All I'm saying is that if the Cardinals want to resign him they have that ability

16 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I may be right and then again I may not. All I'm saying is that if the Cardinals want to resign him they have that ability

He has to agree on restructure..Why would he when he can get a new long term deal? 

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

He has to agree on restructure..Why would he when he can get a new long term deal? 

Players agree to restructure every year. By restructuring he makes sure that he doesn't have to take a pay cut.  Unless he doesn't want to stay in Arizona, but I have not heard that.

11 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

It's the NFL, you'll be hard pressed to find many without some sort of injury history to be concerned about...

That's an extensive injury history for a guy that's played 5 yrs.