Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Well, I'm in to body types ( uh, not in that way....). 

Chubb's somewhat disappointing 3 cone relative to his other straight line performances (such as 40 time, broad and vertical jumps) is due to him looking somewhat top heavy, high wasted, with thin legs to me.  Spells poor lateral agility and high knee injury risk.  I like dlineman to be built like you think of a Samoan, low center of gravity.

For example, Barkley.  He has a thick mid section and legs and can change direction and will hold up to lateral stress better, IMO.

Okay bash me.

16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Hopefully Chubb has a better career but their size is not that unsimilar.

6'3" 260.        6'4" 276

haha  hahahaha

I think if you saw the two men standing side by side in just a pair of shorts you wouldn't say this... 

One inch and 15 pounds can be much more than you think....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if you saw the two men standing sidemy side in just a pair of shorts you wouldn't say this... 

Im sure your right but i wanted come up with something quick for a laugh. haha

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, I'm in to body types ( uh, not in that way....). 

Chubb's somewhat disappointing 3 cone relative to his other straight line performances (such as 40 time, broad and vertical jumps) is due to him looking somewhat top heavy, high wasted, with thin legs to me.  Spells poor lateral agility and high knee injury risk.  I like dlineman to be built like you think of a Samoan, low center of gravity.

For example, Barkley.  He has a thick mid section and legs and can change direction and will hold up to lateral stress better, IMO.

Okay bash me.

I don't agree with this argument, but I gave you a like because you made a reasonable argument...    and you presented it well...

Plus...    you added the...  "ok, bash me" and that alone scores points!

Props to you!      :thmup:

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

I just think Bjoern was a bad fit. He simply wasn't fast enough to be a 3-4 olb

giphy.gif

36 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Can't wait until colts trade back and take edmunds or Davenport. This forum will go nuts with all the Barkley and Chubb love. 

I just don't buy the hype with Davenport. He's extremely athletic, but doesn't have the production and played against a low level of competition.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't agree with this argument, but I gave you a like because you made a reasonable argument...    and you presented it well...

Plus...    you added the...  "ok, bash me" and that alone scores points!

Props to you!      :thmup:

Disagree with what, the laws of physics?  They engineer Indy cars to be low to the ground for better cornering.  Same thing applies to humans.  Except genetics tends to dictate that.

Read the writeups about how they describe players.  Dwight Freeney had a "thick bubble" and thick legs.  Others have narrow hips or a narrow base.  Freeney had a heck of a spin move for 12 years but no knee injuries.

Superman described Henry Anderson as being on the ground a lot in college.  Good player, just on the ground a lot.  He has a high center of gravity.  Knee injury his first year.  Steve Emtman was built the same way.  Two knee injuries in two years.  

I don't know about Chubb for sure , but just glancing at him and noticing a somewhat high waisted body type explained perfectly to me why he excelled at the straight-line and power tests but only average in the cornering tests.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Disagree with what, the laws of physics?  They engineer Indy cars to be low to the ground for better cornering.  Same thing applies to humans.  Except genetics tends to dictate that.

Read the writeups about how they describe players.  Dwight Freeney had a "thick bubble" and thick legs.  Others have narrow hips or a narrow base.  Freeney had a heck of a spin move for 12 years but no knee injuries.

Superman described Henry Anderson as being on the ground a lot in college.  Good player, just on the ground a lot.  He has a high center of gravity.  Knee injury his first year.  Steve Emtman was built the same way.  Two knee injuries in two years.  

I don't know about Chubb for sure , but just glancing at him and noticing a somewhat high waisted body type explained perfectly to me why he excelled at the straight-line and power tests but only average in the cornering tests.

I haven't read anything yet that talks about an over developed upper body or an under developed lower body...

So at this point....    you're guessing.   

If i I see that somewhere I'll post it...   and if you see it somewhere...   I'm confident you will post it...

Fair enough?   

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I haven't read anything yet that talks about an over developed upper body or an under developed lower body...

So at this point....    you're guessing.   

If i I see that somewhere I'll post it...   and if you see it somewhere...   I'm confident you will post it...

Fair enough?   

"Thick Bubble" or "Narrow Base" have been all over the NFL.com and CBS player descriptions for years...when they apply to a player.  I thought you read pre-draft stuff and this would be common knowledge.

Chubb may be fine, but just a quick look and noticing how it seems like his weight is distributed explains to me why his cornering tests were only average.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

"Thick Bubble" or "Narrow Base" have been all over the NFL.com and CBS player descriptions for years...when they apply to a player.  I thought you read pre-draft stuff and this would be common knowledge.

Chubb may be fine, but just a quick look and noticing how it seems like his weight is distributed explains to me why his cornering tests were only average.

I understand the terms thick bubble and narrow base....

I'm only saying that I haven't heard tthem applied with Chubb....

As for Freeney and Mathis....    both are exceptions to any 4-3 DE rules.    Freeney was 6'1" and Mathis a reported 6'2" and posters here say he is shorter than that.

4-3 DE's are typically 6'3" to 6'6" with taller preferred.   Taller guys have longer arms...     and 4-3 DEs are typically more on the long and lean side.   

Chubb is a full 6'4" and 270-275 with nice 34" arms.   That is straight out of central casting....    

You may end up being right..   but at this point you're guessing and little more.   Remember Ballard is going to have pictures of Chubb in his shorts..  He will know if Chubb's body needs some sculpting or not....

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As for Freeney and Mathis....    both are exceptions to any 4-3 DE rules.    Freeney was 6'1" and Mathis a reported 6'2" and posters here say he is shorter than that.

4-3 DE's are typically 6'3" to 6'6" with taller preferred.   Taller guys have longer arms...     and 4-3 DEs are typically more on the long and lean side.   

Chubb is a full 6'4" and 270-275 with nice 34" arms.   That is straight out of central casting....    

You may end up being right..   but at this point you're guessing and little more.   Remember Ballard is going to have pictures of Chubb in his shorts..  He will know if Chubb's body needs some sculpting or not....

I agree.  I haven't heard anything about a narrow base applying to Chubb.  He's probably fine.  I was just commenting on what I personally noticed relative to the other Dlineman (weight distribution), and that helped me understand his average cornering test.  Its the same principle in understanding why some score better on a bench press and others don't...arm length. 

It doesn't mean it translates into NFL ability or not, but it does matter sometimes when analyzing everything together.

Edit: Chubb is 6'4 275 and Freeney was 6'3 265.  An inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter, but his lower half was much stouter than Chubb's, just by quick comparison.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if you saw the two men standing side by side in just a pair of shorts you wouldn't say this... 

Haha...sorry but that sounds funny

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So you're saying Ballard will have a Chubb in his shorts? Lol

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Also, take a look at Jesse Williams out of Alabama - strongest guy in the upper body but nothing in the legs - guess how his career turned out.....

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

4-3 DE has evolved over the years - the taller and leaner ones arent doing as well because they dont have leverage - see guys like Vernon, Wake, Bennett, Griffen, Hunter,ngakoue  - None over 6'5 and they are all leaders at the position. 

Chubb could even possibly play inside if he put on 10-15 pounds. 

I dont know

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

How do you know Chubb wont be the same? Draft is a crap shoot 

Scouts have already said that Chubb is great in the locker room..   good personality...   team leader..   plays hard... has a high motor...   takes few if any plays off...   

This isn't a 100 percent guarantee...   but it's as close as you can get..

I agree.  I haven't heard anything about a narrow base applying to Chubb.  He's probably fine.  I was just commenting on what I personally noticed relative to the other Dlineman (weight distribution), and that helped me understand his average cornering test.  Its the same principle in understanding why some score better on a bench press and others don't...arm length. 

It doesn't mean it translates into NFL ability or not, but it does matter sometimes when analyzing everything together.

Edit: Chubb is 6'4 275 and Freeney was 6'3 265.  An inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter, but his lower half was much stouter than Chubb's, just by quick comparison.

Chubb does have somewhat thin legs. Nothing concerning, IMO, but from the thigh down, he's a little narrow. I don't think he's top heavy or lacking power in the lower body at all.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dcouts gave already said that Chubb us great in the locker room..   good personality...   team leader..   plays hard... has a high motor...   takes few if any plays off...   

Thus isn't a 100 percent guarantee...   but it's as close as you can get..

Scouts also said Navarro Bowman had bad character and Aldon Smith was an Angel. I guess what I am saying is scouts can be wrong and have proven to be wrong in the past. 

No.    Freeney was 6'1" and every website I can find says 6'1".    

Here's NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/player/dwightfreeney/2505016/profile

Here's his wiki page....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_Freeney

Here's Pro Football reference....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FreeDw00.htm

I suspect you're understanding my point....    both Freeney and Mathis were exceptions to the rule.

They were not built like nomral 4-3 DE's. ....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.    Freeney was 6'1" and every website I can find says 6'1".    

Here's NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/player/dwightfreeney/2505016/profile

Here's his wiki page....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_Freeney

Here's Pro Football reference....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FreeDw00.htm

I suspect you're understanding my point....    both Freeney and Mathis were exceptions to the rule.

They were not built like nomral 4-3 DE's. ....

Yeah Freeney had legs like tree trunks. He was different that's for sure!

33 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Scouts also said Navarro Bowman had bad character and Aldon Smith was an Angel. I guess what I am saying is scouts can be wrong and have proven to be wrong in the past. 

Not to be argumentative....   but I think you have that backwards....    at least,  with Aldon Smith you do...

And the reasons I know this is because I've read stories about Smith....   includinng one a few years ago when the 49ers were being congratulated on drafting Smith like 7th overall.   And the view was that the 49erss knew things that other teams didn't because Smith did so well his first few years....

Other teams were furious...    and when Smith started to screw up year after year,  one unnamed GM said flately....   "we all knew about Smith....   he was not even considered by us in the first round because of his character concerns,  his off the field problems.     We had to stay away from him.     The 49ers took a chance and it worked out for them for a while....   and then it blew up in their face as we all suspected that it would..."

Smith was no angel.

I don't know about Bowman....    but Smith had enough Red Flags to sail a battleship.

Read an article today where the guy compared Chubb to Chris long. They both have the same measurables and tested about the same. Hope this isn't the case. Aside from a couple stellar years, he was more a bust. High motor guy tho and excellent teammate.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not to be argumentative....   but I think you have that backwards....    at least,  with Aldon Smith you do...

And the reasons I know this is because I've read stories about Smith....   includinng one a few years ago when the 49ers were being congratulated on drafting Smith like 7th overall.   And the view was that the 49erss knew things that other teams didn't because Smith did so well his first few years....

Other teams were furious...    and when Smith started to screw up year after year,  one unnamed GM said flately....   "we all knew about Smith....   he was not even considered by us in the first round because of his character concerns,  his off the field problems.     We had to stay away from him.     The 49ers took a chance and it worked out for them for a while....   and then it blew up in their face as we all suspected that it would..."

Smith was no angel.

I don't know about Bowman....    but Smith had enough Red Flags to sail a battleship.

Not to be any further argumentative than you 

"And yet when the 49ers took Smith with the seventh overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, they viewed his character as a positive attribute, not a concern."

49ers scouts (including Harbaugh) thought otherwise. 

“I’m really impressed with him as a person, he’s an all-American young man,” 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh said the day Smith was drafted, as noted by the San Francisco Chronicle. “Just great wiring, many blessings from Mom, Dad and God.”

All I am saying is scouts can say anything and everything...................