Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

54 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

4-3 DE has evolved over the years - the taller and leaner ones arent doing as well because they dont have leverage - see guys like Vernon, Wake, Bennett, Griffen, Hunter,ngakoue  - None over 6'5 and they are all leaders at the position. 

Chubb could even possibly play inside if he put on 10-15 pounds. 

I dont know

Not tryig to be difficult here....

But...

I don't understand your post....

I list the range as 6'3" to 6'6"   and you listed a bunch of guys who are 6'2" to 6"5 as if you're saying something I did not....      Vernon 6'2"...   Wake 6'3"...  Bennett 6'4" (and 275)...  Griffen 6'3"...   Hunter 6'5" (252)   and Ngakoue 6'2"

4 of your examples fall into my range...   and 2 of your examples miss by 1 inch...   One.     I don't think your example somehow nulifies my point...  

4 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Not to be any further argumentative than you 

"And yet when the 49ers took Smith with the seventh overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, they viewed his character as a positive attribute, not a concern."

49ers scouts (including Harbaugh) thought otherwise. 

“I’m really impressed with him as a person, he’s an all-American young man,” 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh said the day Smith was drafted, as noted by the San Francisco Chronicle. “Just great wiring, many blessings from Mom, Dad and God.”

All I am saying is scouts can say anything and everything...................

Well.....   of course,  that's what the 49ers scouts are going to say on draft day.

And why do you think they had to say that?     Because his character concerns were known enough that someone asked them about it.     So they had to say they didn't have a problem with them.

I was a member of the media for 30 years....    I've been in those draft day press conferences....    that's how that goes...    they get to deny until the poop hits the fan hopefully sometime down the road....

Eventually,  it blew up in their face....    they got a couple of good years from Smith....  and then things went South...

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not tryig to be difficult here....

But...

I don't understand your post....

I list the range as 6'3" to 6'6"   and you listed a bunch of guys who are 6'2" to 6"5 as if you're saying something I did not....      Vernon 6'2"...   Wake 6'3"...  Bennett 6'4" (and 275)...  Griffen 6'3"...   Hunter 6'5" (252)   and Ngakoue 6'2"

4 of your examples fall into my range...   and 2 of your examples miss by 1 inch...   One.     I don't think your example somehow nulifies my point...  

Ah sorry to confuse. 

I note you just said the top range of 6'6 and that taller ends were preferred and I disagreed.

Hope this clears things up :)

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....   of course,  that's what the 49ers scouts are going to say on draft day.

And why do you think they had to say that?     Because his character concerns were known enough that someone asked them about it.     So they had to say they didn't have a problem with them.

I was a member of the media for 30 years....    I've been in those draft day press conferences....    that's how that goes...    they get to deny until the poop hits the fan hopefully sometime down the road....

Eventually,  it blew up in their face....    they got a couple of good years from Smith....  and then things went South...

However, using your example of quoting an 'unnamed GM' saying that "every GM in the league knew about xyz", after the fact.

This is equivalent to an 'unnamed GM' saying I knew PM would be better (when they were original fanboys of Leaf). 

It is much easier to say these things after they have happened. Potentially this 'unnamed GM' had salt in his eyes because he originally wanted Aldon Smith and once the situation blew up thought he could chime.

Who knows New Colts Fan :dunno:

55 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

However, using your example of quoting an 'unnamed GM' saying that "every GM in the league knew about xyz", after the fact.

This is equivalent to an 'unnamed GM' saying I knew PM would be better (when they were original fanboys of Leaf). 

It is much easier to say these things after they have happened. Potentially this 'unnamed GM' had salt in his eyes because he originally wanted Aldon Smith and once the situation blew up thought he could chime.

The way things work in most industries these days....    sports...   politics.     Entertainment....    business....    very few people talk on the record when you're saying something negative...     Who wants to be on the record?    All of these various worlds are small and your enemy one day might be your friend the next...   and vice versa...

Very few people talk on the record in these situations...    

Its not unreasonable to think that if the media knew enough to ask about Smith's character on draft day...   other NFL teams knew as well...    rare is the time that the media knows more than actual teams...   

The quote I gave seems entirely plausible....    teams do incredible background work on character...   private detectives...   the works...    you name it... Smith had skeletons in his closet and other teams knew it...   So did San Fran... they took a calculated risk and it worked for about 2.5 seasons...   then it didn't...   and Smith was gone...   

4 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Alex....

I glanced at your profile and see that you're new...   a belated welcome to you. 

I'm sorry if things got weird or uncomfortable in any way.  That was not my intention.

This is an interesting time of year.   Some posters don't like it because there are no games to talk about and they disappear for months at a time.    Others, like me, enjoy this time...    we like digging into the nitty-gritty and nuts and bolts of trying to put a team together...   but since opinions are popular and run strong, things can, and often do get quite intense.    Sometimes quickly.   

Hope you enjoy the site.   It can be quite addictive.   Always glad to see a new fan!

NCF

7 hours ago, Shive said:

giphy.gif

I just don't buy the hype with Davenport. He's extremely athletic, but doesn't have the production and played against a low level of competition.

FD4590AE-A1DD-4F14-BD1C-1CCB63474A04.jpegThis guy played at a low level too! He turned out pretty good!

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Chubb does have somewhat thin legs. Nothing concerning, IMO, but from the thigh down, he's a little narrow. I don't think he's top heavy or lacking power in the lower body at all.

Ok, you noticed that too.  I was using the narrowness to comment on why his change of direction test might not be as elite as his straight line tests.  Might not have much to do with it, but if it does, adding bulk to the lower legs isn't that easy to do.

5 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

While I do think Chubb is the better prospect, the comparison isn't that far off the wall:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/bjoern-werner?id=2540141

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/bradley-chubb?id=2560043

People forget some early mocks had Werner going top 5....:Yikes:

That's just a bad report on Werner. He wasn't a flexible athlete with natural bend, he wasn't quick off the snap or quick in general, and he wasn't good in space.

Anyone can be wrong on any prospect, though.

The thing i remember most about Bjoern was that he had a great get off, but after 4 or 5 steps he looked like he was running in molasses. I just looked up his combine numbers. he ran a really respectable 1.69 in the 10 yard split, but a 4.83 40. he just couldn't sustain any speed.

Chubb on the other hand is running a 1.63 10 yard and 4.65 40. i think he can finish.

1 hour ago, Gigc said:

The thing i remember most about Bjoern was that he had a great get off, but after 4 or 5 steps he looked like he was running in molasses. I just looked up his combine numbers. he ran a really respectable 1.69 in the 10 yard split, but a 4.83 40. he just couldn't sustain any speed.

Chubb on the other hand is running a 1.63 10 yard and 4.65 40. i think he can finish.

A poster here -- might have been Dustin? -- pointed out that Werner had really good snap anticipation in college, which made it look like he was quick off the ball, but it was kind of an illusion. At one point I went back and watched some of his college games, and yeah, he was more timing up the snap and less exploding out of of the block. It helps when almost every QB you play against is in the shotgun, and calls for the snap with a demonstrative single clap, rather than a cadence. 

Werner's 10 yard split was good, though. 

18 hours ago, Superman said:

That's just a bad report on Werner. He wasn't a flexible athlete with natural bend, he wasn't quick off the snap or quick in general, and he wasn't good in space.

Anyone can be wrong on any prospect, though.

It does look like a bad report, especially in hindsight, but then you can always find examples that go the other way, Sherman being an obvious one. Bad report or not it wasn’t in isolation, but as you said there was always the film to watch which showed BW being BW, it’s just he could get away with it in college. 

Again I think Chubb is the better player and will have a much better chance of succeeding in the NFL, I just don’t have the gut feel he’s the sort of game changer who is worthy of going at 3. But that’s just my very uninformed opinion. 

On 06/03/2018 at 7:19 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Alex....

I glanced at your profile and see that you're new...   a belated welcome to you. 

I'm sorry if things got weird or uncomfortable in any way.  That was not my intention.

This is an interesting time of year.   Some posters don't like it because there are no games to talk about and they disappear for months at a time.    Others, like me, enjoy this time...    we like digging into the nitty-gritty and nuts and bolts of trying to put a team together...   but since opinions are popular and run strong, things can, and often do get quite intense.    Sometimes quickly.   

Hope you enjoy the site.   It can be quite addictive.   Always glad to see a new fan!

NCF

No Problem - you are kind 

I just love talking and debating football, especially in times like this when offseasons can make or break a team. 

Its always good to have someone challenge your ideas and way of thinking and I am sure you have much more football knowledge than I, so your input is appreciated. 

:rock:

4 hours ago, Superman said:

A poster here -- might have been Dustin? -- pointed out that Werner had really good snap anticipation in college, which made it look like he was quick off the ball, but it was kind of an illusion. At one point I went back and watched some of his college games, and yeah, he was more timing up the snap and less exploding out of of the block. It helps when almost every QB you play against is in the shotgun, and calls for the snap with a demonstrative single clap, rather than a cadence. 

Werner's 10 yard split was good, though. 

He also seemed to be injured a lot which wouldn't have helped his development. 

Feel bad for the guy he seemed nice and would have been good for the game in Germany if he became a superstar.