Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if the Browns and Giants are smart

1. Browns take Barkley

2. Giants take Chubb

I haven't been a huge fan of Chubb but after seeing the first couple drills, he's A better athlete than I first thought. Seemed like Dorsey was watching him closely. Wouldn't surprise me if Browns took him.

Then what? 

Just trade down and stockpile picks or stay put and draft Davenport-Kirkpatrick-Nelson. 

3 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

1. Browns take Barkley

2. Giants take Chubb

I haven't been a huge fan of Chubb but after seeing the first couple drills, he's A better athlete than I first thought. Seemed like Dorsey was watching him closely. Wouldn't surprise me if Browns took him.

Then what? 

Just trade down and stockpile picks or stay put and draft Davenport-Kirkpatrick-Nelson. 

We take Nelson, pretty simple to me unless we can trade down and get an extra pick and take Nelson anyway at 5 or 6 with the extra pick.

If that's the way the draft falls, a trade down is the only thing that makes sense. There would be a handful of QB needy teams looking to leapfrog the Browns to get the guy they want. We should be able to get a small ransom for the #3 pick and could possibly only move down a few slots.

The Giants can’t take a player who won’t directly help get the most out of the last of Eli.  The Giants will take Nelson, Barkley, or Eli’s eventual replacement.  

The Colts I don’t think can go wrong with Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley, or a trade down which results in one of them.  And the joy of being at 3, one of those players will be there.  

Agree with a lot of these post. With josh Allen looking good over the weekend, I could see jets wanting to jump to 3 to grab him before the Browns pick again. I could also see the Browns wanting to hop up a spot to secure Allen if they do go Barkley or Chubb at 1. This could very well up the ante a lot for the 3rd pick.

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I think the Browns take their choice at QB first...

..if they don't, they risk the Colts or Giants trading their pick to a team that might take their guy.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. It's way too risky to not pick the QB you like at 1 and risk missing out on him, especially when you're the Browns.

I think you meant to say what if the Browns are dumb.

quarterbacks havnt even had their private workouts with teams yet. Many will say none of the quarterbacks are worth it, but this forum was saying the same thing about Wentz and Goff.

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

Also should put to rest colts trading 3rd pick for Landry and Dolphins 11th pick. That would be silly. 

Agreed. It would be a terrible move to trade the 3rd overall pick prior to the draft. It could end up getting us a king's ransom and you don't make a premature move like that for a player like Landry.

Im at a point where I would be content with any of Chubb/Barkley/Nelson, my only real concern would be if we trade back past pick #6, there is a good chance that all three will be off the board.  My reasoning is that I beleive the Jets and Broncos will land a FA QB, making them more likely to draft based on other needs (namely the cant miss G from ND).

Then the Colts trade down. 

2 minutes ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

Im at a point where I would be content with any of Chubb/Barkley/Nelson, my only real concern would be if we trade back past pick #6, there is a good chance that all three will be off the board.  My reasoning is that I beleive the Jets and Broncos will land a FA QB, making them more likely to draft based on other needs (namely the cant miss G from ND).

What free agent QB? The only good one is Cousins, and he's most likely going to the Vikings.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I think you meant to say what if the Browns are dumb.

quarterbacks havnt even had their private workouts with teams yet. Many will say none of the quarterbacks are worth it, but this forum was saying the same thing about Wentz and Goff.

Yeah, a couple of weeks ago I brought up Allen as a QB of interest and was shot down pretty quick in here.

Now all of a sudden he is turning heads all over the co called draft experts.

1 minute ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

That's why it's good Free Agency is 1st because if we trade down we would only trade down to 5 with the team that needs a QB, not to 6. We still get Nelson at #5 and have our extra pick.

15 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

17 minutes ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

What free agent QB? The only good one is Cousins, and he's most likely going to the Vikings.

The Super Bowl MVP comes to mind.  He is not a FA, but could be had im guessing.  Also I could easily see teams rolling the dice on Bradford, Bridgewater, Keenum, McCarron or even Josh McCown.

4 minutes ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

The Super Bowl MVP comes to mind.  He is not a FA, but could be had im guessing.  Also I could easily see teams rolling the dice on Bradford, Bridgewater, Keenum, McCarron or even Josh McCown.

The jags should go after Bridgewater.  The west coast offense would be a much better fit for him than the vertical offense he ran under Norv.

23 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

1 minute ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

I think the Vikings are more likely to resign Teddy than sign Cousins. They put a premium on character and I think the issues with the Redskins' FO will give the Vikings some pause.

If Barkley goes 1 and Chubb 2 then the #3 pick just turned into the most wanted pick in the draft. Some QB needy team could end up offering the Colts a stockpile of picks for it. But I can't see both Cleveland and New York passing up QB's. New York doesn't pick again in the first, so I don't expect them to pass up on a QB unless Barkley is their guy.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

I think the Vikings are more likely to resign Teddy than sign Cousins. They put a premium on character and I think the issues with the Redskins' FO will give the Vikings some pause.

That's true. Then Cousins go to the Jets and the Broncos still need a QB. The problem is, Teddy hasn't played in over a year. If they believe he can be better than Keenum and lead them to a SB, then I guess Teddy is the choice.

2 hours ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

Foles will go somewhere, but none of the other QBs will stop someone like the Jets or Broncos from taking one of the top QBs in the draft.

8 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

I think the Browns realize they need the best QB. I really think they go

QB first pick. 

I don't think the drop off in QB quality is that dramatic compared to the drop off in RB quality between Barkley and the rest, in this particular draft, IMO. That is why the Browns go with Barkley. 

16 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Imagine going into the draft thinking we're getting Barkley or Chubb and coming out with a guard! Utter nightmare.

If no Chubb or Barkley, I would be an advocate for trading back and taking Nelson. 

Unlikely other teams would take him in the top 6/7 and so you get a kings ransom for the best QB in the draft (whoever that particular team believes it to be), address a huge need for ourselves and pick up a deluge of draft capital to add young, top level talent to the roster.

I think it would be smart by the browns to take barkley at 1.

There will still be one of the 4 best qb's available at 4.

And if they're getting nervous, they still have a lot of draft ammo to trade up 1 spot with us to be sure to get their qb. 

We still could get chubb plus some extra pics. :)

I think we all think about what the Browns and Giants might do, or how someone will lose their mind and trade up to get their QB. The reality though is somewhere on 56th st. someone needs to worry about what the COLTS will do if and when this or that happens.......For me it's Chubb, Barkley, or trade down. I don't want a top 5 guard..........heck I don't want a Guard at all in the first round........because 4 or 5 years from now, I will have to let him walk so that I don't have to pay the man if he pans out......Pass rusher or RB I would happily pay......and the 3rd overall is too high of a pick to draft a rental.

If Chubb and Barkley are both gone you obviously have to look to trade back. Should have some leverage with all the QBs on the board. Either way, I think you have a few options in Nelson first and then looking at Edmunds and maybe even Fitzpatrick (depending on how he looks today). Nelson is still the most "can't miss" prospect in the draft, someone even said "gold jacket" material and he fits our biggest need. Edmunds had a great combine and looked good in drills. He could become a great pass rusher as well, at the very least he is a monster ILB that can cover RBs and TEs. Compare his combine to Reddick and don't be surprised if he's close to that 6-8 range overall at his size. We haven't seen what Fitzpatrick can do, but if he performs well at the combine he could be in play as a CB for us. That would give us a very good young secondary as a strength. All depends on FA as well. Any of those five players (Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick) will make a huge impact on our team next year, and that's what I'm looking for this draft, a true game changer. 

23 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I think the Browns take their choice at QB first...

..if they don't, they risk the Colts or Giants trading their pick to a team that might take their guy.

Browns draft Barkley .... giants take Nelson or Eli’s replacement ..... that leaves a couple QB’s left .... Browns need a QB and hear rumblings of jets/broncos trading up to 3 to grab darnold/allen .... browns send over their 2 second round picks and a first round 2019 pick to jump up to #3 and grab either of them listed above .... Colts now trade down to 5/6 for more picks so that jets/Broncos can draft their QB’s or Nelson depending on giants pick ... leaving us MORE second round picks! We draft Chubb/Nelson depending on what happens above and now we are sitting beautifully for day 2 with at least 4-5 second round picks.