Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dan Campbell to get Interview

1959Colts

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The first coach the Colts interviewed in the initial search was McDaniels and he was offered the job.  This time around the first person being interviewed is Campbell. I think that's telling.

Never been a dc or oc but has a commanding presence. The type of coach that will spark a team EARLY but as losses start to mount team will tune out (ala Miami) in his short stint. Love Bill Parcells and would rather have the TUNA himself than his nod for Campbell. The other Bill as in Polian thinks Frank Reich would be perfect for the job by getting the most out of Andrew Luck or Brissett. Thinks Frank is tough and knows the game at a very high level.

49 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The first coach the Colts interviewed in the initial search was McDaniels and he was offered the job.  This time around the first person being interviewed is Campbell. I think that's telling.

I think that is a big reach. 

It could be that Reich had a previous commitment today in Philly.

I don't know how I feel about any of this anymore. I DO know that we've just spent 5 years with a head coach who wasn't known as a strategist (head slap) but who wore his emotions on his sleeve. Everything was a bowling ball of butcher knives and chopping wood. Honestly, i think that emotional type wears out on players. You can't constantly run on adrenaline. You HAVE to have a plan. Planssssss. That was the only reason I liked the idea of McDaniels. He was an offensive "mastermind."

i squirmed with his NE connection and his previous ethics issues in Denver. Can't change your spots. 

I'd LOVE an intense guy --- at first. I'd really like a smart guy with plans and strategy. Not sure any of the guys we're looking at now fit that bill. 

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I think that is a big reach. 

It could be that Reich had a previous commitment today in Philly.

True, but DeFillipo also had a previous commitment but the Vikings are flying to Philly to interview him tonight.  We could have done the same thing.  I believe we did fly out to interview McDaniels. 

39 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

True, but DeFillipo also had a previous commitment but the Vikings are flying to Philly to interview him tonight.  We could have done the same thing.  I believe we did fly out to interview McDaniels. 

OK...

And???

Trying to suggest that the order of interviews means who the favorite might be is a reach.

I'm not gonna say Campbell is a BAD coach, but I don't think he's the right coach either. Granted, they're interviewing him, so maybe he is. But he seems like another Pagano-esque coach - one who commands respect in the locker room and can get his team amped and ready game day. But once again, adjustments and game planning are his weakness. He'd need to develop a very nice staff around him to succeed long term (which I think was one of Pagano's greatest shortcomings), especially at OC.

At this point in Luck's career, I'd like to have an offensive minded coach who can whip up a good gameplan. Granted, everyone wants one of those, and this late in the process we aren't exactly swimmming in options. I do like Frank Reich. 

We'll see. Ballard's call.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

OK...

And???

Trying to suggest that the order of interviews means who the favorite might be is a reach.

It might be.  I do know when I used to hire someone for a position I would go through the resumes and pick out the potential candidates and rank them one through five for example.  I would then bring in who I thought was my leading candidate first and then bring in everyone else.  In person interviews could change things but I wanted to see my first choice first.  Maybe Ballard used that approach with McDaniels I don't know.  Hiring off the street is different because you don't know them.  I think Ballard knew some of the first wave.  He certainly knew McDaniels and Nagy and Toub who did not get an interview as far as we know.  It could be a reach but I could see Ballard bringing in his first guy first and confirming his initial evaluation and then bringing in other candidates to see if they can change his mind.  Just sayin. 

13 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Schefter just said on SportsCenter that Campbell has the inside track and is the favorite for the job...

2018-02-08 17.30.53.png

That's what I thought.  I think he's the best of the three.  Similar to Vrabel in many respects.  He's also been a head coach before although for a short time. 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

What If Dan brought Carmichael along? His title would have to be Asst. Head Coach/OC though

No can do. Carmichael can only be hired as a HC unless his contract is up or he gets permission from the Saints.

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

OK...

And???

Schfeter just said on Sportscenter he has the inside track and is the favorite for the job.  I hate to say it but i think my theory is correct.  He's the first interview and the no.1 candidate.  It's up to one of the other guys to try and take it away from him. 

gosh. Campbell. I'm not thrilled. I would rather have a chess master. 

i will tell you this, i went back and watched a few of Campbell's press conferences. Man. that dude is scary. He's like a Viking --- and i don't mean Minnesota. One thing I distinctly remember --- this is with the fins --- he was talking about how aggressive he wanted his team to be. holding up his hands like horizontal lines, he said --- in something like a war cry --- below this line is DIRTY. I don't want dirty, but I want guys skirting that line!!!!

He also got a lot of pub for holding truly physical practices; full contact, no practice squad, just ones and twos, and even Oklahoma drills.

apparently views Parcells as his mentor.

Campbell I think can achieve moderate success during the regular season but tops out there. Doubt we'd have much success in the playoffs with him. Just don't see a high ceiling.

JMO of course, and if he's our coach and proves me wrong, awesome. I just don't think he helps us out of mediocrity.

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

From JMV's twitter page;

JMV1070 Retweeted Tom Skowron

Really? I didn't see it.

JMV1070 added,

Tom Skowron @RealTomSkowron
@JMV1070 schefter just said on sportscenter Dan Campbell is the favorite for the colts job 

I looked at shefter's twitter and didn't see anything