Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The "problems with structure" comment from Lombardi about McDaniels could even just be in reference to who answers to who. Like possibly the HC and GM (Gettleman) would report seperately to the owner.

Browns fans say that's a big part of their structure problems. That their HC and GM both report seperately to Haslam.

7 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

So then he probably won't be coming here? I can't imagine Ballard hiring a coach then letting that coach make all the personnel decisions. I would think Ballard would want to keep that part of his job.

Roster control is different than personnel decisions.  GM decides on talent to bring in and HC decides on who makes the team.  That arrangement is actually pretty standard.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Chud and Ted are still here right?  Or were they let go with Chuck?

All coaches are still technically here if they had a contract anyways.  They have the ability to leave if need be as their spots are not guaranteed.  But short answer is yes.

1 hour ago, Dilger85 said:

Control over the roster is a little different than the say he had in Denver.  In Denver, I think he had total control.  Many coaches have control over the roster meaning who to keep on the 53 man final roster.  That is why having a good partner with a coach is so important to a GM.

That's true, but looking at his Denver record, I would rather he generally defer on personnel.  I don't want him to have final roster control.  Who was the last Colts coach to have final roster control?  In reality, that is.  The GM position is a bit different here than elsewhere, and it's very possible, perhaps likely, this is the reason the Colts have cooled on McDaniels. 

17 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

So we had all these great assistants, but our hc, oc, and dc really sucked? That's hard to phathom. I don't agree with that at all. That's to wierd to believe, even for a dumb guy like myself.

They may have been good but if the coordinators can’t call a good game then their work means nothing. 

59 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

Roster control is different than personnel decisions.  GM decides on talent to bring in and HC decides on who makes the team.  That arrangement is actually pretty standard.

Respectful disagreement....

The battle for who controls the final 53 is always a battle.    On teams with a powerful coach, it's the coach.    With a powerful GM then he gets control.    And with both, they work in concert.

On some level, all 32 teams work in concert.    That's the way it works.   But sometimes the fighting over control can get pretty involved.

For what it's worth,  I don't think Pagano ever had control of the 53.   Input, yes.   But NOT control.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The "problems with structure" comment from Lombardi about McDaniels could even just be in reference to who answers to who. Like possibly the HC and GM (Gettleman) would report seperately to the owner.

Browns fans say that's a big part of their structure problems. That their HC and GM both report seperately to Haslam.

Sometimes it's the person who people ultimately report to that IS the problem.  Some owners never win because they are not good businessmen.  It happens in every sport.  Chicago Cubs won first World Series in over 100 years after getting new owners. Red Sox won 3 this century after going 80 plus years.  Ownership = management.  Stupid owner = stupid management.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Respectful disagreement....

The battle for who controls the final 53 is always a battle.    On teams with a powerful coach, it's the coach.    With a powerful GM then he gets control.    And with both, they work in concert.

On some level, all 32 teams work in concert.    That's the way it works.   But sometimes the fighting over control can get pretty involved.

For what it's worth,  I don't think Pagano ever had control of the 53.   Input, yes.   But NOT control.

I believe this to be true! 

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports it’s likely that Arizona, Indianapolis and maybe even the New York Giants, who met with Wilks earlier this week, will meet with the 48-year-old at least once more.

https://arizonasports.com/story/1374369/cardinals-likely-interview-steve-wilks-another-time/

I think they misunderstood Rapoport's tweet. He said AZ and the Colts will conduct 2nd round interviews, not necessarily that they will specifically be bringing WIlks back a second time.

"

#Panthers DC Steve Wilks exits Arizona after interviewing with the #AZCardinals yesterday with a possible #Colts interview looming. Sounds like AZ and Indy likely do second rounds. Giants may, as well. "

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wilks was supposed to be in Indy today for his interview.  I haven't seen any reports of him arriving or leaving.  If you're out dining in Indy tonight please keep your eyes open.  You could be the reporter with " Breaking News".  

I think he gets interviewed tomorrow from what I’ve read. Apparently the giants don’t have him on the final list of candidates... He is all ours if we want him. My money is on Wilks or Mcdaniels becoming the new HC. The next few days will be VERY interesting 

3 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I think he gets interviewed tomorrow from what I’ve read. Apparently the giants don’t have him on the final list of candidates... He is all ours if we want him. My money is on Wilks or Mcdaniels becoming the new HC. The next few days will be VERY interesting 

I’ve read Patricia or McDaniels will be the coach of the Giants, although at the beginning of the week it was also being reported that’s Patricia was taking the Lions job, so who knows. 

Just now, CR91 said:

It's not about the saints. That pass defense was bad before that game

Based on what numbers other than lack of interceptions?   The personnel in that secondary wasn't even top flight.  It was basically a makeshift group.  Adams and Coleman at safety and two young corners.  You're talking like they had the Jags personnel back there.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Based on what numbers other than lack of interceptions?   The personnel in that secondary wasn't even top flight.  It was basically a makeshift group.  Adams and Coleman at safety and two young corners.  You're talking like they had the Jags personnel back there.

And last year? Just as bad.

Wasn't even the D coordinator last year and again the personnel wasn't the best on top of having two rookies at the corners.    Their numbers were still better than we've had here.  He's had strong secondary play anywhere else he's been . Probably this year and last year were less, but again the personnel has flaws.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Not to mention he was a "hot candidate" and the front runner for like 2 jobs then after the interview both no longer seem interested 

Not the case at all.  You're making that up.

Which job is Mcdaniels getting?   Is he still hot?