Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

That was the defense, his offenses were crap.

Were his offenses crap because of schemes and coaching or because Tim Tebow was at QB? Just something to consider. I can't say I really remember much about his stint in Denver so I'm asking out of curiosity not sarcasm.

All I can say is as an observer this coaching search really makes you wonder what is going on.  First off all of this talk about Toub and not even an interview like his coach mate Nagy.  Six candidates we know of and one cancels and two decide to stay where they are or take another opening.  That leaves three.  Ballard is leaving no rock unturned and the only college coach we know of is Rhule?  What about Peterson and Shaw?  Especially Shaw.  He runs a pro system and he already has coached Luck.  Successfully!  I know there is a lot of secrecy going on so he might have reached out but the point is the coaches that are still there from our interviews are really nothing to get excited about with the exception of McDaniels.  I don't know where this is heading but I have to say I was expecting a lot more from our first time GM.  Maybe wrongfully but with a large universe of coaches to investigate and interview we think Rhule is a HC candidate for the NFL now?  Honestly I just shake my head. 

I think Ballard and our new coach (McDaniels) already have an agreement. My theory is that Rhule was interviewed for the OC position and Vrabel/Richard for the DC. Vrabel would have to be a DC/Assistant HC since Houston isnt likely to allow him to make a lateral move and he does have ties to McDaniels. They spent 7 years in NE together.

McDaniels cant accept the job officially since he is in the playoffs so Ballard is interviewing the guys he is interested in. That's why we are seeing so many of our coaches go elsewhere and Ballard isn't blocking the moves. Why let these guys go if your new HC isn't ok with it.

Probably wishful thinking on my part but I gotta believe that they know who their guy is by now. Assistants are flying off the shelf like hotcakes so we gotta be making some handshake type agreements.....at least I hope.

What do you guys think?

The McDaniels wants power talk is mere nonsense talk.  He has never said anything about this and actually mentioned that he bit of more than he could chew in Denver.  Any coaching candidate coming her knows our GM is Ballard.  I hope that we are generally taking our team so that we can get a good number of guys in here and pick the best.  Pat Shurmur is still my hopeful.  Some guys will not interview until after the playoffs or the week leading into the Pro Bowl unless there team is in the big game as well.  

Also, I would not worry about random guys choosing another spot.  There are only a few openings so regardless we will have a candidate that will take the Colts job.  Plenty of guys out there to interview still.

38 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Were his offenses crap because of schemes and coaching or because Tim Tebow was at QB? Just something to consider. I can't say I really remember much about his stint in Denver so I'm asking out of curiosity not sarcasm.

And he picked tebow. Its hard to tell but a combination of both. 

7 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Nagy got hammered for blowing an 18 point lead at home, & not giving the ball to Kareem Hunt. I don’t see the Pats blowing a 21-3 lead in New England.

Well, maybe not in New England, but they'll certainly blow one in Indy haha 

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

That was the defense, his offenses were crap.

Perhaps, but I don't pretend to remember what the Broncos looked like a decade ago.  Like I said, I'm not a fan of anyone particular candidate. But IF it is McDaniels, I think we'll be better than what we had with Pagano. 

1 hour ago, MightyLucks said:

I think Ballard and our new coach (McDaniels) already have an agreement. My theory is that Rhule was interviewed for the OC position and Vrabel/Richard for the DC. Vrabel would have to be a DC/Assistant HC since Houston isnt likely to allow him to make a lateral move and he does have ties to McDaniels. They spent 7 years in NE together.

McDaniels cant accept the job officially since he is in the playoffs so Ballard is interviewing the guys he is interested in. That's why we are seeing so many of our coaches go elsewhere and Ballard isn't blocking the moves. Why let these guys go if your new HC isn't ok with it.

Probably wishful thinking on my part but I gotta believe that they know who their guy is by now. Assistants are flying off the shelf like hotcakes so we gotta be making some handshake type agreements.....at least I hope.

What do you guys think?

I think if I was brought in to interview for the HC position and find out later that they already have their coach and I wasn't really a candidate and they were eyeing me up for a coordinator position I would tell them to shove it.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

All I can say is as an observer this coaching search really makes you wonder what is going on.  First off all of this talk about Toub and not even an interview like his coach mate Nagy.  Six candidates we know of and one cancels and two decide to stay where they are or take another opening.  That leaves three.  Ballard is leaving no rock unturned and the only college coach we know of is Rhule?  What about Peterson and Shaw?  Especially Shaw.  He runs a pro system and he already has coached Luck.  Successfully!  I know there is a lot of secrecy going on so he might have reached out but the point is the coaches that are still there from our interviews are really nothing to get excited about with the exception of McDaniels.  I don't know where this is heading but I have to say I was expecting a lot more from our first time GM.  Maybe wrongfully but with a large universe of coaches to investigate and interview we think Rhule is a HC candidate for the NFL now?  Honestly I just shake my head. 

Sorry but that is load of nonsense.

1) Only the media talked about Toub.  No one from the Colts' inner circle has mentioned him.  And that does not mean he hasn't or won't speak to the team.  Just that you have heard nothing.

2) The Rhule thing was out of the blue but as I have read since it leaked he is becoming highly thought of coach in NFL circles.  

3) We have absolutely no idea if he has reached out Shaw or Peterson for one and two if he would even had interest.

4) Why are you determining now that McDaniels is the only one worth getting excited about?  If he gets the job and bombs, is the fact that you were excited about him now kind of meaningless.  And what if the others who might get the job but do nothing for you right now actually start winning when games are actually played?  

5) Ballard said the process would be thorough and as secretive as possible but you expected more?  He is doing exactly what he said.  And I will side with Ballard on who he deems worthy of interview over a supposed message board savant.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sadly, the signs are starting to point towards McDaniels with how drawn out this is. But at the same time, the Cardinals, Giants, and Lions also haven’t named coaches so McDaniels could go to any of those teams.

Hey, at least you have a silver-lining. If McDaniels thought he's not getting Luck, I doubt he takes the job, so they probably think Luck will be alright next season. 

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm damn near 100% sure Toub isn't even in the running hoe in the hell could they interview Nagy and everone know yet no one have a clue about Toub. Truth prolly is he's not even in the running.

The way reporters know is through their agents getting their names out there. It's possible Toub told his agent not to leak. 

10 hours ago, Shive said:

I'm surprised he hasn't been interviewed anywhere yet, but I also don't believe that he's a legit candidate at this time, because Brad Wells is an *.

This is exactly how I pictured it going based on the tweet.

I wouldn’t trust a word Brad Wells says as he’s typically very uninformed.  I would agree with you though that I’m surprised he hasn’t been interviewed anywhere. 

55 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Perhaps, but I don't pretend to remember what the Broncos looked like a decade ago.  Like I said, I'm not a fan of anyone particular candidate. But IF it is McDaniels, I think we'll be better than what we had with Pagano. 

And I don't. We'll just have to wait and see now. Glad I'm not making the decisions though. Looks like they won't please half the fan base no matter what.

8 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

And I don't. We'll just have to wait and see now. Glad I'm not making the decisions though. Looks like they won't please half the fan base no matter what.

I agree.  That's been my feelings on it the entire time.  Unless whoever we replace Pagano with wins the superbowl or goes undefeated next year, someone somewhere is gonna be unhappy.  I mean heck, we can't even get people to be happy with what bathroom they use let alone something like a head football coach. :peek:

52 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That tweet was on the 10th when everyone thought we were meeting with Wilks but it's been reported it never happened.

Agreed.  That tweet reads like a list of candidates that either were asked or accepted interviews at some point, not that they were actually interviewed.

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Of all HC openings, Lions have better team/QB, and Giants have strong organization/ownership, Colts have what to make of mystery Luck injury and owner Jim. You think Josh would have been offered a job by someone already.

Healthy, Luck is better than Manning and Stafford.  and outside of the media circle, Irsay's actually pretty well respected in this league. 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Without Luck our job is not very enticing IMO. 

its just not, and everyone knows it.  it was interesting hearing reporters trying to trap ballard and irsay into admitting that.  

i think irsay handled it well, ballard not so much.  

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Healthy, Luck is better than Manning and Stafford.  and outside of the media circle, Irsay's actually pretty well respected in this league. 

Wrong. I've watched the press conferences and they are definitely a full-encompassing, completely objective plethora of knowledge. I now know exactly how everyone who works with Jim perceives him.

2 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Wrong. I've watched the press conferences and they are definitely a full-encompassing, completely objective plethora of knowledge. I now know exactly how everyone who works with Jim perceives him.

:sarcasm:

Archived