It shouldn't have been that hard

VaAllDay757

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Blue said:

When you have the lead, you run the ball to shorten the game clock.  Problem is you need to be able to run the ball... 

This team is still not consistent there and this is what happens.

Agreed, to an extent. Mainly, I think you run the ball in the 4th quarter to bleed the clock.

We started the third quarter with run after run. You can't be THAT conservative, and it showed why you can't do that. We let them back into the game because of it.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlitz said:

It's the NFL. The freaking Jets won today so just chill. Every game is hard fought. 

Understood. We won the game.

The discussion is whether we could have played better or differently --mainly, less conservatively. I think most people on the Forum are happy about the win but not how we won. It shouldn't have been that close.

14 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Like really maintain the lead fellas, chuck have a better gameplan like foreal it's the browns we should've dominated the whole game with how the defense started but if it was a good team we were playing we would've lost tighten up fellas

It’s the Colts they have to make every win more difficult than it should be. The Chuck effect. Smh

Lotta encouraging things, but yes, once in my life I would like to see this team step on someone's throat.  They had numerous opportunities to do so. If, before the half, Sheard wraps up the pick on the screen or if Butler doesn't commit the penalty, the game is likely over.

9 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I didn't watch the game, couldn't get it down here and we are still cleaning up after Irma, I did take a look on my phone and saw it was 31-14 early in the 4th...what happened?

To me it kind of seemed like they were playing the second half as if there were 3 minutes left in the game up by 2 TDs.  Just very bland and conservative.  Very easy for the Browns to snuff out.  Still a win is a win, a much needed one.

Hope everything is going good with you, your friends and fam.  Irma was no joke.  

7 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

The discussion is whether we could have played better or differently --mainly, less conservatively. I think most people on the Forum are happy about the win but not how we won. It shouldn't have been that close.

There is no question we were playing 'not to lose' in the second half. We need a new offensive coordinator. However, we won and this forum should be gushing positivity, for our first win of the season. 

Not acceptable...game should have been put away after the first half. That's three straight abysmal second half performances in a row. Pagano is done after this season if he makes it that far. Stupid conservative game plan in the second half, trying to pound the ball repeatedly when it was obviously not working whatsoever...Christ , if you take that large 21 yard run away from gore's total, he ran like what, 26 times for 30 yards? ?? Good God...

There is no question we were playing 'not to lose' in the second half. We need a new offensive coordinator. However, we won and this forum should be gushing positivity, for our first win of the season. 

If Andrew plays I think we put up 40 points, with a  backup going conservative isn't always that bad

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Chuck and chud went nothing but runs

9 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

To me it kind of seemed like they were playing the second half as if there were 3 minutes left in the game up by 2 TDs.  Just very bland and conservative.  Very easy for the Browns to snuff out.  Still a win is a win, a much needed one.

Hope everything is going good with you, your friends and fam.  Irma was no joke.  

Thank you both!  Playing not to lose is never a good thing with a whole half left....geez.

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

We won by scoring more points is there a different way? Yes we can always play better. If we would have been aggressive and let this game get away with our QB that still doesn't have the whole play book.  How loud would the We should have won by more group have been yelling about how stupid the coaches are? 

I get the feeling regardless what happened some people would not be pleased. 

Colts win that's what mattered today. Just get the W

I think you are right. The Forum should be gushing positivity.

But I think the second half was excruciating. It was painful. And it overshadowed the joy of the win. We simply can't become so one-dimensional. Especially after Brissett passed for over 200 yards in the first half and T.Y. having a huge first half.

We simply took what worked and placed it on a shelf and turned to what we are worst at -- running the ball. That has the Forum fuming because we know a) against a better team we would've lost; b) even with Luck, using this approach is a "loser" mentality. Play to win rather than "not to lose".

23 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

I blame the offensive playcalling for letting them back in it.

I got on here to say the same thing. No complaint about the players from me today. Chud is the one I'm upset with. Play calling after half time was plain awful! Offensive play calling gave Brown's a chance to come back at the end. 

4 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We won by scoring more points is there a different way? Yes we can always play better. If we would have been aggressive and let this game get away with our QB that still doesn't have the whole play book.  How loud would the We should have won by more group have been yelling about how stupid the coaches are? 

I get the feeling regardless what happened some people would not be pleased. 

Colts win that's what mattered today. Just get the W

Thank You! Some of these dudes are pitiful.

Offense was really bad in the second half.  Play calling on O was just bad, toward the end.  Example ... 2:03 left in the game, first and 10 Colts.  Predictably bad run up the middle.  In my opinion, there was nothing to gain by this play.  The clock is stopping for the 2 minute warning, so it’s not like there is any benefit from a running the clock standpoint.  The play call was just horribly predictable and of course, effectively defensed.

What I would like to have seen on that first down is a play action high percentage, low risk pass play.  Browns were not expecting a pass and a pass could have given a legitimate shot at a game winning first down.  And if it’s incomplete, it doesn’t matter because the clock is stopping, regardless, because of the two minut warning.   There is just SO much to gain with a little offensive aggression, there, with virtually nothing to lose.  

Ergo, yet another example of unimaginative, crappy play calling, which once again put the outcome of a game in jeopardy.

Glad we won, but horrified how a well in hand victory turned into just barely eeked survival.  Bad.