Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the Colts a dumpster fire?

Iron Colt

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say no but it's close.  This game was about like I expected offensively, I just didn't think the Rams would score so much.  But in hindsight, I probably should have expected that too with basically a new starting 11. 

So let's take inventory.  The Colts have a starting QB who is making around $23M on the bench, who is not playing and probably shouldn't be playing this year.  And he is BY FAR their best asset.  Then we have a GM and owner who are preaching patience, and that this year might be a step back, but they have a HC who's job basically depends on the Colts winning THIS season.  Does anybody see a problem with that?  Then we have an entirely new starting 11 on defense from last season.  And finally, you have a QB who has twice as many INT's as he does TD's in his career starting for you.  Do you really expect him to be great?

This may not be a dumpster fire simply because, when healthy, we have one of the best starting QB's in the NFL that many teams would kill to have.  But outside of that, yeah, it's pretty close.

30 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

Definitely a dumpster fire.  To get blown out by one of the worst teams in the NFL, how could you not be?

What makes the Rams the worst team in the league?  New season. New coach. Fisher was holding them back more than anything. 

4 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I would say no but it's close.  This game was about like I expected offensively, I just didn't think the Rams would score so much.  But in hindsight, I probably should have expected that too with basically a new starting 11. 

So let's take inventory.  The Colts have a starting QB who is making around $23M on the bench, who is not playing and probably shouldn't be playing this year.  And he is BY FAR their best asset.  Then we have a GM and owner who are preaching patience, and that this year might be a step back, but they have a HC who's job basically depends on the Colts winning THIS season.  Does anybody see a problem with that?  Then we have an entirely new starting 11 on defense from last season.  And finally, you have a QB who has twice as many INT's as he does TD's in his career starting for you.  Do you really expect him to be great?

This may not be a dumpster fire simply because, when healthy, we have one of the best starting QB's in the NFL that many teams would kill to have.  But outside of that, yeah, it's pretty close.

Chuck is here to weather the rebuild only. He is only a placeholder for whoever is the coach for next season. 

5 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Bob irsay would've fired Chuck.  Jimmy Irsay's history is riding out the season.  Ballard brings something new to the equation. Chuck should be nervous...

Bringing in someone new won't save your season. You guys are in rebuilding mode and the fact is, you aren't going anywhere without Luck on the field. The Colts are not built to handle his absence and the over reliance on Luck is putting to much pressure on a young QB who feels like he has to do everything and ends up leaving himself in harms way.

Polian realized that over a decade ago and starting trying to take the burden off of Manning so he could focus on what he does best and not worry that he has to make up for a dozen other inferior aspects to the team.

now that Luck isn't there, lesser QB's have no idea where to even to start to piece a win together. 

Just now, sfergson727 said:

I said one of the worst....You really think they will set the league on fire?

You never know. There's a team that goes from worst to first every season. 

We have to stop calling other teams bad and stop overlooking teams because the Colts are falling into that category. 

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

I never heard that and I doubt it

I do remember reading a report after ballards interview claiming he wanted the job but was insistent on bringing in Dave toub as head coach. But I think it was the next day, maybe 2 days later, that the announcement was made that Ballard took the job. And that day in his opening presser he confirmed pagano would be coach this year. 

So it was "reported" but I don't think it ever had even the least bit of substance. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/horseshoeheroes.com/2017/01/28/report-colts-intrigued-chris-ballard-gm-prefers-dave-toub-head-coach/amp/

http://more.bleacherreport.com/articles/2688498-colts-general-manager-search-latest-news-rumors-speculation-on-position

Ok I was off on the timeline. The report about toub came out on the 22nd, before ballard had his first interview on the 25th (January).  Ballards second interviee was on the 29th and thats when he was offered and accepted the position. 

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it was reported that ballard wanted dave toub to be the head coach

that didnt pan out, and i think most assumed that jimmy said he wanted chuck to get another year 

Well, irsay said chuck was going to be the hc in 2017 before he started interviewing candidates, so it wasn't much of an assumption. 

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:59 AM, Dingus McGirt said:

Due to the injuries, and youth of the roster.  Good old Chuck will be given a pass this season, and will definitely  return in 2018.  Mr. Irsay, unfortunately, appears to be an enabler. 

If true, it makes you wonder who, in the city of Indianapolis, honked Jim Irsay off. I suppose it could merely be laissez-faire management, but equally it could be, that by keeping Pagano, he's intentionally tanking just to make the team and the city look like a laughing stock out of revenge. Whatever is going on, it isn't good.

Lets say we keep Luck out all season and get the #1 pick. Imagine how many teams that need a QB would want that #1? I am a guy that says the Draft is a crapshoot but I bet we could get someone's 1st which would still be Top 5 + their 2nd and 3rd (giving us 2 2nd's and 2 3rd's + a Top 5 pick still) if they want Darnold that bad. Jets and 49ers both could do that. We don't need a QB, that is the beauty of it if we do end up with the #1. Then Luck will easily be 100% healthy in 2018.

37 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

If true, it makes you wonder who, in the city of Indianapolis, honked Jim Irsay off. I suppose it could merely be laissez-faire management, but equally it could be, that by keeping Pagano, he's intentionally tanking just to make the team and the city look like a laughing stock out of revenge. Whatever is going on, it isn't good.

HUH? :facepalm:

On 9/10/2017 at 7:33 PM, deedub75 said:

What makes the Rams the worst team in the league?  New season. New coach. Fisher was holding them back more than anything. 

Their QB is terrible. Besides Gurley, whom I think is overrated, they don't have anyone that scares you on offense. Their defense is good, but you need to score points to win in today's NFL. The Rams are not a playoff team. At most a 6 win team

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets say we keep Luck out all season and get the #1 pick. Imagine how many teams that need a QB would want that #1? I am a guy that says the Draft is a crapshoot but I bet we could get someone's 1st which would still be Top 5 + their 2nd and 3rd (giving us 2 2nd's and 2 3rd's + a Top 5 pick still) if they want Darnold that bad. Jets and 49ers both could do that. We don't need a QB, that is the beauty of it if we do end up with the #1. Then Luck will easily be 100% healthy in 2018.

Or we trade Luck, and start fresh with a new QB. If I'm Luck, I wouldn't be confident that this organization can get him the tools to succeed and stay healthy

1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

Or we trade Luck, and start fresh with a new QB. If I'm Luck, I wouldn't be confident that this organization can get him the tools to succeed and stay healthy

In which case you probably would not have signed the 6 year extension last summer that Luck did.  But oh yeah, that's right, he did sign it, so he must have that confidence in this organization.

1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard is only in year 1 and if we end up with a bad record, Chuck will be gone. I am giving Ballard a chance with a new Coach. Luck is only 28 as well.

8 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Trading Luck would be the worse move this franchise has ever made. None of the QB's coming out have his potential or would even come close to how he played in his first 3 seasons.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Trading Luck would be the worse move this franchise has ever made. None of the QB's coming out have his potential or would even come close to how he played in his first 3 seasons.

and that's not even taking the almost $42 mil in dead cap space the colts would have if they traded him.