Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Call me crazy...

Archer

...but I think Luck will start Game 1.  I think the staff knew that his shoulder would probably be structurally fine by Week 1, and the plan all along was to activate him at the time of final cuts and start whoever gives us the best chance of beating the Rams.  I'm projecting that will be Luck...

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

...but I think Luck will start Game 1.  I think the staff knew that his shoulder would probably be structurally fine by Week 1, and the plan all along was to activate him at the time of final cuts and start whoever gives us the best chance of beating the Rams.  I'm projecting that will be Luck...

I hope you are right. It's hard to believe in Ballard if he's going to let this team start the regular season handicapped with Tolzien under C. 

Just now, akcolt said:

I hope you are right. It's hard to believe in Ballard if he's going to let this team start the regular season handicapped with Tolzien under C. 

Hopefully Tolzein gets a short leash and they have Morris preparing to still play.

He is still on PUP though, which means he can't practice or throw to receivers at practice or in secret.  They have just a few practice sessions left and that doesn't allow him any time safely to prep for game action.  Just pray they get him off the PUP list soon so he can at least throw to team members....  

10 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

He is still on PUP though, which means he can't practice or throw to receivers at practice or in secret.  They have just a few practice sessions left and that doesn't allow him any time safely to prep for game action.  Just pray they get him off the PUP list soon so he can at least throw to team members....  

"officially" practice.  Wonder if luck, TY, etc could be secretly practicing on their own time somewhere.  There's no rule against that

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Hopefully Tolzein gets a short leash and they have Morris preparing to still play.

It's still a poor reflection on Ballard if ST is our week 1 starter. IMO  Ballard emphatically said Luck would not be on any injury list come Sept. 2. Then he totally ignored the most important position on the roster. All we do is bring in an UDFA at QB. 

Tolzien has clearly been out played by Morris for 2yrs yet remained the back up. What makes anyone think that's going to change? Spare me the Morris has not payed v 1's. Thats nobody's fault but the staff. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

"officially" practice.  Wonder if luck, TY, etc could be secretly practicing on their own time somewhere.  There's no rule against that

Yup, who's to say he hasn't been hosting "parties" for teamates. It's only practice if team officials are there. And with Andrew's mind of the playbook... 

1 minute ago, akcolt said:

It's still a poor reflection on Ballard if ST is our week 1 starter. IMO  Ballard emphatically said Luck would not be on any injury list come Sept. 2. Then he totally ignored the most important position on the roster. All we do is bring in an UDFA at QB. 

Tolzien has clearly been out played by Morris for 2yrs yet remained the back up. What makes anyone think that's going to change? Spare me the Morris has not payed v 1's. Thats nobody's fault but the staff. 

What is out there that is much better...please do not say Kaep.  He went with what we had and Pags is the reason to blame if Tolzein bombs and Morris does not get in there.

7 minutes ago, Devildog said:

I also have this feeling that he will start.  If he wasn't going to start,  they would've said that already but at this point they haven't ruled him out.

Don't think they would say as it plays into the cards of the LA Rams who can then prepare their defense according to the threat of Tolzien or Morris, which would probably mean cover 2 all game.

By leaving it last minute Rams will have to plan to potentially play Luck which is a harder task all round 

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

What is out there that is much better...please do not say Kaep.  He went with what we had and Pags is the reason to blame if Tolzein bombs and Morris does not get in there.

We knew Luck had surgery in Jan and we knew who Tolzien was long before that. There were a lot If options besides Kap. Who I don't have a problem with if he could help win games 

Just now, akcolt said:

We knew Luck had surgery in Jan and we knew who Tolzien was long before that. There were a lot If options besides Kap. Who I don't have a problem with if he could help win games 

Well, like you just said he had surgery in January.  We probably did not see issues of him not starting.  Or the FO saw that he might at worst miss a game o r two and went with what we had.  No additional money on a QB.  Plus, Tolzein performed ok last year and that is what they are going off of.  Plus practice.

I believe they haven't ruled him out yet from a buisiness stand point, fans will buy more tickets because they still have hope that luck will play the first couple games of the season. If the colts come out and say he is out the first 4 games of the season. How many tickets would they sell for those games? 

7 minutes ago, ukcolt12 said:

Don't think they would say as it plays into the cards of the LA Rams who can then prepare their defense according to the threat of Tolzien or Morris, which would probably mean cover 2 all game.

By leaving it last minute Rams will have to plan to potentially play Luck which is a harder task all round 

I thought about that, too, but I'm pretty sure the Rams are preparing for whether Luck is playing or not.

7 minutes ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

I believe they haven't ruled him out yet from a buisiness stand point, fans will buy more tickets because they still have hope that luck will play the first couple games of the season. If the colts come out and say he is out the first 4 games of the season. How many tickets would they sell for those games? 

How about you look at the competitive advantage as well...

It makes no sense to let the Rams know they have to worry about Tolzein.  They still need to plan for Luck and we can be hopeful for that as well.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

How about you look at the competitive advantage as well...

It makes no sense to let the Rams know they have to worry about Tolzein.  They still need to plan for Luck and we can be hopeful for that as well.

I've tried this argument before, however most will just say that "Tolzein sucks so hard that no defense has to prepare for him". 

I actually hope that's the Ram's mindset, because that is how upsets happen. 

26 minutes ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Season tickets are sold out which leaves very few tickets for single games. Certainly not enough to play those kind of shenanigans.

The only clear evidence besides blind hope that suggests that Luck will play week 1 at this time is that we haven't signed a veteran, stopgap QB, and that Ballard basically gave his word that Luck would be ready. Neither guarantees it though, and we'll just have to find out in a few days.

21 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The only clear evidence besides blind hope that suggests that Luck will play week 1 at this time is that we haven't signed a veteran, stopgap QB, and that Ballard basically gave his word that Luck would be ready. Neither guarantees it though, and we'll just have to find out in a few days.

This to me holds the most water out of all the comments.

I don't think the team knows exactly what to expect when Luck comes off PUP later this week and starts to practice with the team.  However, I think Luck physically at 75% is probably better than Tolzien or Morris who have less than 50% of Luck's mental command of the game.  Not to slur the backups, but Luck has a Manning-like understanding of the game and ability to process things...

Chris Ballard did NOT give his word about anything, especially that Luck would not be on PUP to start the season. Ballard said he did not think Luck would be on PUP, he did not anticipate Luck being on PUP, and other similar comments.

He absolutely, unequivocally did NOT give his word -- or even come close to it -- that Luck would not go on PUP for the season. 

I have convinced myself he will not start first game...Still arguing inside myself whether this is a competitive team or not. Until I feel it is....Keep luck in street clothes he is this teams ONLY hope for the next 5-6 seasons,

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Not unless they get caught.....  League office does not allow anything close to this.....  we aren't the Patriots either!

8 hours ago, Archer said:

I don't think the team knows exactly what to expect when Luck comes off PUP later this week and starts to practice with the team.  However, I think Luck physically at 75% is probably better than Tolzien or Morris who have less than 50% of Luck's mental command of the game.  Not to slur the backups, but Luck has a Manning-like understanding of the game and ability to process things...

Perhaps, or more likely Lucky holds onto the ball longer than most all NFL QB's because he doesn`'t process things as fast as Most of the other guys. He has been pretty consistent that way EVERY ____ season so just Maybe it is TRUE. Good grief!

27 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Perhaps, or more likely Lucky holds onto the ball longer than most all NFL QB's because he doesn`'t process things as fast as Most of the other guys. He has been pretty consistent that way EVERY ____ season so just Maybe it is TRUE. Good grief!

You're pretty much the only person who thinks this so maybe YOU'RE wrong?!    And you've only been peddling this for five years!!   

GOOD GRIEF!!

The idea that Luck is holding the ball too long because he can't prcoess information flies in the face of everything we know about luck and his mind.

Luck holding on to the ball too long is simply because he's trying to make a play when he needs to.    Why is this so hard to figure out?      Why must you over-think this?     There's no reason for you, or anyone else,  to think Luck has a problem with processing informaton.      But there's every reason to think if Luck doesn't make a play,  the team's offense bogs down,  so he tries hard,   even when it's wiser not to.

The simplest explanations are typically the the correct one.

The most bizarre twisted explanations usually end up in the trash-bin of history,  where they belong.