Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do you think should start week one at QB?

RockThatBlue

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Well, theres literally zero proof suggesting he will play week one.

We are 2 weeks away from the 1st game and Luck hasn't practiced one time.

It doesn't mean he won't play they may announce he's off the pup list tomorrow we don't know 

Morris...by a mile. I don't know how anyone can watch those two play and objectively say differently.

Tolzein is a first-read QB and doesn't go through progressions. It worked on the Dorsett play down the sideline because the CB was turned around and Dorsett made a big play. But it's also exactly why he threw an INT deep in PIT's territory (which is a turnover you just can't make). The other long play to Dorsett was just Dorsett breaking a tackle and then running down field.

Morris, meanwhile, extended and made some big time plays. That 3rd down completion to Howard was an NFL play. You can win games with a QB that can make that throw. Tolzein definitely isn't making that play. 

Once they let Morris do his thing, he drove down and scored...despite the Colts wasting plays by running Ferguson for one yard every few plays (who is a terrible RB).

The coaching staff likes Tolzein for some (likely not related to talent) reason...so unfortunately it doesn't really matter in the end. The whole thing reeks of hubris.

Dear God.....

In this rough, unofficial poll,  Morris wins by roughly 5-to-1.

Didn't see one poster who noted that Tolzein played mostly against the 1's,  and Morris played mostly against the 2's,  3's,  and even the 4's....

All people can see is Morris played better without considering who he was playing against.    

Coaches are typically risk-adverse....    I suspect they'll go with Tolzein,  and I'm OK with that.

I post a story I shared in another thread that almost no one saw.....

At the half-time of the Detroit game,  Ballard was interviewed about the team and when it came to the QB position he basically said that there was nothing new to report about Luck.     That there was some good and bad with Tolzein.     And that Walker was a very nice surprise.      There was not a single word said about Morris.   In fact, Ballard didn't even mention his name.     It was as if Morris wasn't even on the team.

No one here knows how Morris is in practice.   

No one here know how Morris is with the playbook.

No one here know how Morris is with audibles and blocking adjustments.

All fans here know is that they want him to start........

I don't envy Morris if his first start is on the road against a very good Rams defense with Wade Phillips coaching them.

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God.....

Didn't see one poster who noted that Tolzein played mostly against the 1's,  and Morris played mostly against the 2's,  3's,  and even the 4's....

All people can see is Morris played better without considering who he was playing against.    

Coaches are typically risk-adverse....    I suspect they'll go with Tolzein,  and I'm OK with that.

At the half-time of the Detroit game,  Ballard was interviewed about the team and when it came to the QB position he basically said that there was nothing new to report about Luck.     That there was some good and bad with Tolzein.     And that Walker was a very nice surprise.      There was not a single word said about Morris.   In fact, Ballard didn't even mention his name.     It was as if Morris wasn't even on the team.

I don't envy Morris if his first start is on the road against a very good Rams defense with Wade Phillips coaching them.

If Luck is inactive, sign and unretire Peyton Manning!!!!!  He can out qb the others without an arm or without getting in shape, through his smarts.  But put a Red Jesey on him, just in case.  Gotta look good for commercials!

I'm still trying to figure out what they see in ST. He throws the int when we have a ton of momentum looking to add to 7-0 lead and takes the delay of game penalty on 3rd.and 1. 

Ballard said if you preach competition and then don't start the guy who plays better everyone in that locker room knows....

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God.....

To the bolded...if Morris is bad with any of those then he shouldn't even be a serious consideration for playing a regular season down.  He shouldn't even be on the team if he can't master the playbook or audibles, etc.  It is year 2 for him.  Get him outta' here.

If he is adequate with these, though, it is obvious that Pags wants Tolz as the starter.  There really isn't any question in his mind.  The mere fact that he won't let Morris play with the 1's is the obvious sign.  No way you go 3 weeks with the same starter and then have the other guy play one set of downs with the 1's and declare him the starter.  Fire Pags right away if this is the case.  Mere stupidity if that happens in my opinion.

Competition??  Yeah, everywhere but the backup QB spot.

rant off...

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

To the bolded...if Morris is bad with any of those then he shouldn't even be a serious consideration for playing a regular season down.  He shouldn't even be on the team if he can't master the playbook or audibles, etc.  It is year 2 for him.  Get him outta' here.

If he is adequate with these, though, it is obvious that Pags wants Tolz as the starter.  There really isn't any question in his mind.  The mere fact that he won't let Morris play with the 1's is the obvious sign.  No way you go 3 weeks with the same starter and then have the other guy play one set of downs with the 1's and declare him the starter.  Fire Pags right away if this is the case.  Mere stupidity if that happens in my opinion.

rant off...

Agreed on everything. While I was impressed with ST last game, to deny Morris' presence at QB is just dumb. He has played very well. As another poster stated, Tolzien is the safer player going 1St read more often. While Morris has played against backups, often from behind. Which would lead me to expect if ST starts at LAR, he should be on a short leash. I am not opposed to rotating Qbs, if we can use both to their strengths. I am aware how unorthodox it is, and how you need fantastic coaching to pull it off. When done correctly using match-ups, as well as the hot hand, could help get W's until Luck's return.

8 minutes ago, OHColtfan said:

Chuck will decide by wood chopping competition between Tolz and Morris

Old and mold comment that is run it's coarse at this point. It's been used so much it's not funny and even used sarcastically isn't funny anymore. Please think of finding an original sarcastic comment.

If they play at all in game 4, I'd let ST and Morris each have one drive at the beginning of the game, with the 2's and some 3's.  Then, let Walker finish the game while the staff evaluates the 3's , 4's and also rans to finish out the pre-season.

As far as Luck starting, with each day that passes with him on the PUP, that chance drops great.  IME, by about 20% per day from here.  If he is not activated to the roster by Friday, Then I'd be worried about him even being Activated on Saturday September 2 by 4:00 pm!!  Ballard said he would be, but that does not mean he'll start if that happens.

I still think it will be at least two weeks at the minimum once he's activated before Luck starts again.  Luck's status this week is quite critical and telling, for certain.

1 hour ago, life long said:

Agreed on everything. While I was impressed with ST last game, to deny Morris' presence at QB is just dumb. He has played very well. As another poster stated, Tolzien is the safer player going 1St read more often. While Morris has played against backups, often from behind. Which would lead me to expect if ST starts at LAR, he should be on a short leash. I am not opposed to rotating Qbs, if we can use both to their strengths. I am aware how unorthodox it is, and how you need fantastic coaching to pull it off. When done correctly using match-ups, as well as the hot hand, could help get W's until Luck's return.

I'd say Morris outright.. but I, too, could see coach using each to their "strengths" and rotating them based on game situation, like we did with Ryan Lindsay and Josh Freeman a couple years ago in the regular season finale

If Tolzein had played as poorly vs the Steelers as he had against Dallas and Detroit then I think Chuck would have had to make the switch.

With Tolzein playing better in this game, even with the INT, I think he is locked in now.

If it was me, Tolzein is in a contract year so why not let Morris have the games before Luck returns (hopefully not too many) to give him the NFL experience and then have him as Luck's backup next year? Tolzein then released.  Morris definitely has more upside.

1 minute ago, ricker182 said:

Oh boy. I struck a nerve.    

The Colts are no "classier" than any other organization other than the Pats. 

Actually IMO the Colts are the Classiest franchise & thats why I'm a fan . Pretty much believe the browns have no Class & the Jets IMO .

As a Homer I stand by what I said & your opinion means nothing to me so why bother quoteing me . 

20 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

If Tolzein had played as poorly vs the Steelers as he had against Dallas and Detroit then I think Chuck would have had to make the switch.

With Tolzein playing better in this game, even with the INT, I think he is locked in now.

If it was me, Tolzein is in a contract year so why not let Morris have the games before Luck returns (hopefully not too many) to give him the NFL experience and then have him as Luck's backup next year? Tolzein then released.  Morris definitely has more upside.

This is exactly right. Tolzein has no long-term value to this team...as he is gone after this season. Morris, on the other hand, is under control for at least two more seasons...and cheap. Giving him a chance to show he is a capable NFL QB could be very beneficial. It would give them a valuable trade chip or a cheap capable backup to Luck for a couple more seasons.

Wondering how much Ballard will influence this decision. I feel like under Grigson, the team might've been tied to starting Tolzein simply because he was paid to come in and fill that role, irregardless if he's actually capable of doing the job. Now we might see a change in that philosophy.

13 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

rant off...

You';re reading too much black and white into my comments.

I didn't say Morris is bad,  I said he may not be good enough.    Remember,  he gets almost no reps in most practices.     Even this camp he's been behind Tolzein AND Walker.     Reps are everything and Morris doesn't have many.

I like Morris.     I'd like to see more and see what we have.     But Morris has rarely played against 1st string and that's all Tolzein has faced.      Morris has mostly faced 2's, 3's and even 4's.      That's a big difference.

If Tolzein starts,  there's a good reason for it.    Even if he's not all that good....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You';re reading too much black and white into my comments.

I didn't say Morris is bad,  I said he may not be good enough.    Remember,  he gets almost no reps in most practices.     Even this camp he's been behind Tolzein AND Walker.     Reps are everything and Morris doesn't have many.

I like Morris.     I'd like to see more and see what we have.     But Morris has rarely played against 1st string and that's all Tolzein has faced.      Morris has mostly faced 2's, 3's and even 4's.      That's a big difference.

If Tolzein starts,  there's a good reason for it.    Even if he's not all that good....

My bad for not being clear, NCF.  My rant wasn't aimed at you.  It was to Pagano (who I am personally rooting for to succeed).  I agree with everything you said up until that last sentence.  I don't know if I can trust Pagano to make the (in my opinion) right choice?

Pagano has called out players for not giving effort or not playing smart, sooo...I just can't understand why he won't either:

1) say why Morris isn't playing better than Tolz

or

2) play Morris with the 1's

This "we'll look at the tape" crap is insulting to my intelligence.  No way he starts Morris week one without significant snaps with them in game situations, in my opinion.  He has already decided Tolz is his #2 QB.  Why the drama???

If Morris doesn't play with the 1's how do you know how good or bad he is?  He looks darn good with the 2's & 3+'s.  Pags, please tell us why you don't play him with the 1's!!

Do we have the right to know?  No.  But saying he'll evaluate after seeing the tape...what the heck are you seeing that many others aren't?  At least give a hint, lol.

On August 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM, The Peytonator said:

I really don't know what they're looking at to think Tolzien is the better option. I get that he's the "safe" pick but Morris has been balling. He would have been 14/16 if his guys didn't drop two easy ones. He's making throws as he's getting hit, fitting it in tight windows, throwing it down the field, buying time with his feet when pressured, and he's doing all this without turning it over. The film doesn't lie, and if Pagano reviews the tape, Morris is the clear winner. He could actually win us some games, Tolzien would be trying not to lose. 

Peytonator speaks the truth. Morris makes me feel competitive as a QB vs Tolzien who is like Alex Smith in KC to me. Safe & boring as hades. Luck clearly won't be ready by week 1. Therefore, go with the better arm. Okay yes, Morris tends to overthrow his targets a lot sure, but with him, I feel like our offense is deliberately trying to get in the end zone like his life depended on it. 

11 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Peytonator speaks the truth. Morris makes me feel competitive as a QB vs Tolzien who is like Alex Smith in KC to me. Safe & boring as hades. Luck clearly won't be ready by week 1. Therefore, go with the better arm. Okay yes, Morris tends to overthrow his targets a lot sure, but with him, I feel like our offense is deliberately trying to get in the end zone like his life depended on it. 

The offense seems to light up and play hard when Morris is in there I don't see that with Tolzien is out there.