Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning Cleared

Blackhawk4

http://espn.go.com/n...r?eleven=twelve

Peyton Manning has been medically cleared by two doctors, including Dr. Robert Watkins, who performed the most recent surgery on the Indianapolis Colts quarterback's neck, to resume his NFL career, sources told Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Take it how you want to take it. In a way you can view it as really vague and in a way you can view this as the greatest news we could hear on Manning.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton Manning has been medically cleared by two doctors, including Dr. Robert Watkins, who performed the most recent surgery on the Indianapolis Colts quarterback's neck, to resume his NFL career, sources told Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Take it how you want to take it. In a way you can view it as really vague and in a way you can view this as the greatest news we could hear on Manning.

Great news!

Finally, from the docs, he gets medical clearance to play. BTW, this also leads me to believe he wasn't cleared to play before.

Now the next step is to get the trainers and coaches to evaluate how he throws compared to his pre-injury self.

Does he throw like his old self, or does he throw like me?

Taking hits is one part of it... I don't think that's why he had the surgery..so this is just another step.

Taking hits if anything out of this entire process should be the easiest for Manning. His neck should actually come out stronger from this surgery. He should be able to take a hit normally (Though I still see him falling down/sliding for precaution). Getting strength back in his arm though that's going to be the test for him.

He was cleared a long time ago. The question is can he throw. The bigger question is how long can he play verus a reinjury.

I think his chances of re-injury to his neck is the same after he was medically cleared as if he had never had a neck injury. In other words, it is if he never had the injury.

"@PatMcAfeeShow: “@mortreport: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career, per sources”~ Sources say.. Things just got interesting didn't they"

I hope this is true! Kenny and Peyton should co-write a song about what the past season was like. This would be a fairy-tale ending for the song. Maybe Kenny would perform the song at halftime of the Colts home opener!

He was cleared a long time ago. The question is can he throw. The bigger question is how long can he play verus a reinjury.

Uh, no he wasn't cleared a long time ago. Thus the fact that he was just cleared now.

The bigger question is actually whether his nerve is/will function well enough to allow him to perform properly. The clearance is related to the fushion, not to the nerve.

I'm not sure what you mean by "reinjury". The fushion puts additional pressure on the two adjacent levels - somewhat increasing the chances that at some point he will have deterioration in those disks, but the fused area isn't at risk or "reinjury" as if he is now a china doll.

All in all, it is great to hear this - particularly "if you were my son" part.

Of course he may hate his son for all we know. :D

The bigger question is actually whether his nerve is/will function well enough to allow him to perform properly. The clearance is related to the fushion, not to the nerve.

Exactly. I want to feel great about this but can't. The ESPN article says:

"The sources said Watkins examined Manning recently in Los Angeles and concluded the stability in his neck would have allowed the quarterback to play this Sunday if the nerves in his arm had regenerated to a satisfactory performance level."

So, his neck is strong, his nerve is not. Still same issue with the nerve. But, keep getting better P-Money so I can see you in the 'shoe again!

Thanks Blackhawk best news I have seen in quite a while. I am taking it just the way it was reported. :thmsup:

This news doesnt mean much, until peyton is actually throwing 50yd passes and passing on the run then taking any chance would be too much... I doubt peyton will be getting an aswer from irsay next week since irsay wants to take as long as he can to make one.

"...concluded the stability in his neck would have allowed the quarterback to play this Sunday if the nerves in his arm had regenerated to a satisfactory performance level."

"What remains in question is the timeline in which Manning's nerve regeneration to his triceps will improve to the point where he is throwing passes in the manner that helped him win four MVP awards during his 13-year career.

According to one source familiar with Manning's medical review, "It's not a safety issue; it's a performance issue." This source added that Manning is "making progress."'

OK what is exactly new here? What we now know is that doctors have medically cleared Manning to play next year based on his neck fusion being stable enough. I think most viewed that as the least of our concerns as doctors have said the bone fusion often results in a stronger neck than it was pre-injury. However, the question still remain in regards to his nerve regeneration (see quotes above) and if his performance can increase enough by March 8th. This is the pivitol issue surrounding this issue, it's always been a performance question. That we still don't know so this news really doesn't change anything for the moment.

Wow! Thats great!

Although I'm not sure it changes anything.

He's cleared but I'm sure that doesn't mean he's 100% or ever will be.

But I agree that it is great news.

This news doesnt mean much, until peyton is actually throwing 50yd passes and passing on the run then taking any chance would be too much... I doubt peyton will be getting an aswer from irsay next week since irsay wants to take as long as he can to make one.

Get out of my head Smitto! lol

While I'll take this nugget of good news, it what we all expected. Any injury he would sustain form here on out wouldn't be rooted in these surgeries. So it is semantics. What is the definition of healthy? I don't think being cleared to play is it. I feel it has more to do with to what level of his previous playing ability has he reacquired?and what level is necessary to pay the roster bonus and move forward? He still has a month to go, so it is possible we may have PM and a heir apparent on the squad. Or will Irsay let Luck get away just like his dad let Elway get away? Interesting times coming over the next month.

Mortenson said this announcement was only for a safety issue, not a performance one. That aspect has yet to be determined. I just hope the nerve has regenerated enough to get elite level play if we strap this team with his huge cap hit for the next 4 years on Mar 8.

What does Irsay do now? This is the worst situation to be in. Possibilities:

1) Keep Peyton Manning and Draft Luck(bench him) and have a big hit to the salary cap.

2) Keep Peyton Manning and Trade first pick for a bunch of picks and have PM and some new studs and We go win a Super Bowl next year in Eli's Stadium with the PM we all remember.

3) Keep Peyton Manning and Trade first pick and Peyton not be the same PM we remember and Irsay looks like he is dumb for not drafting Luck.

4) Cut Peyton Manning and Draft Andrew Luck as our future QB and continue to succeed and begin our strive to dominance again.(Luck could be a bust and make Irsay look terrible, especially if we let PM go and he played elsewhere or Luck could be the next PM and we'd have a very bright future for a decade or more.)

The hardest thing about this whole situation is we don't know if Peyton will be the same PM we remember. I'm a huge Peyton fan, but a bigger Colts fan. I don't know what I would do if I was Irsay, the safest bet is to Keep PM and draft Luck, unfortunately the cap would be our biggest problem. These next few weeks will be very interesting, I just hope we are back to dominance next year, this year was dreadful.

Meh. This is good news, yes, but doesn't change anything from yesterday. His neck has been fine for quite awhile. Still doesn't mean he can play Quarterback at an NFL level.

Hopefully the nerves can regenerate, and he can slide right back into place. We'll see.