Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning Cleared

Blackhawk4

This news doesnt mean much, until peyton is actually throwing 50yd passes and passing on the run then taking any chance would be too much... I doubt peyton will be getting an aswer from irsay next week since irsay wants to take as long as he can to make one.

It means everything if we move him to OLB in the new 3-4.... kidding. You are right - the nerve regeneration and arm strength is what this is all about. I wanted the article to be much more specific about what the 'cleared to play' means in real terms. Focus on arm strength and throwing now? I will say PM has always said he is meeting the criteria and landmarks set by doctors, so this is awesome news. But I'm not sure anyone doubted the durability of the neck. Those who understood the surgery have almost all stated it would end up stronger, less mobile perhaps, but stronger. It's the arm we need on the HOFer. There is nothing in this article which suggests anything has changed with that.....

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It means everything if we move him to OLB in the new 3-4.... kidding. You are right - the nerve regeneration and arm strength is what this is all about. I wanted the article to be much more sspecific about what the 'cleared to play' means in real terms. Focus on arm strength and throwing now? I will say PM has always said he is meeting the criteria and landmarks set by doctors, so this is awesome news. But I'm not sure anyone doubted the durability of the neck. Those who understood the surgery have almost all stated it would end up stronger, less mobile perhaps, but stronger. It's the arm we need on the HOFer. There is nothing in this article which suggests anything has changed with that.....

We know he's been throwing for two months now. Don't know what level he's throwing at, but that's not the doctors job to report on. And the nerve will come back when it comes back, if it ever does come back.

Meh. This is good news, yes, but doesn't change anything from yesterday. His neck has been fine for quite awhile. Still doesn't mean he can play Quarterback at an NFL level.

Hopefully the nerves can regenerate, and he can slide right back into place. We'll see.

It is just a step but, I'd say it's a pretty darn big step in the right direction.

(Also, the lemonade is a lie!!!)

It means everything if we move him to OLB in the new 3-4.... kidding. You are right - the nerve regeneration and arm strength is what this is all about. I wanted the article to be much more specific about what the 'cleared to play' means in real terms. Focus on arm strength and throwing now? I will say PM has always said he is meeting the criteria and landmarks set by doctors, so this is awesome news. But I'm not sure anyone doubted the durability of the neck. Those who understood the surgery have almost all stated it would end up stronger, less mobile perhaps, but stronger. It's the arm we need on the HOFer. There is nothing in this article which suggests anything has changed with that.....

For a minute there i thought i was in the wrong thread with that 3-4 thing lol... but yea the arm is what we should be concerned about.. irsay has stated the same thing in some fashion.. what i wanna know now will that change irsays mind about maybe pushing for the date to be pushed back into the new league year.

Great news!

Finally, from the docs, he gets medical clearance to play. BTW, this also leads me to believe he wasn't cleared to play before.

Now the next step is to get the trainers and coaches to evaluate how he throws compared to his pre-injury self.

Does he throw like his old self, or does he throw like me?

Lots of this.

Great news, very positive. Hopefully we're hearing reports soon the nerves/muscles are on track and he's throwing like he used to.

We're not there yet fellas, but this is certainly welcome news that puts us a step closer to where I think pretty much all of us want to be.

Maybe someone can answer this for me but since he is cleared he can pretty much go all out working out and throwing the ball now right? this gives the Colts approx. over a month to assess him and make the $28M dollar decision.

When this was scrolling as breaking news on ESPN it also said that Peyton had a private throwing session today with the Colts receivers. Did anybody else see that? I assume that the Colts brass was there to watch but I don't know that for a fact. Wonder when some info will come out about EXACTLY where he is at right now? Somebody track down a receiver or something. LOL

This is the big difference....He has been cleared to PLAY!! Not practice like in December, PLAY. Quote: One source said that Feuer recently told Manning, "If you were my own son, I'd tell (you) to go play."

That's big in my book. The part about the nerve regeneration is if he were to play this Sunday in the SB...very hypothetical.

I hope he stays a Colt....

I can't remember a stretch of games since pre Super Bowl 44 where the colts were clicking on all cylinders. Hopefully, this is the turning point. Irsay writes the man with a laser rocket arm a check for 28 million and not a first aid kid. :D

Maybe someone can answer this for me but since he is cleared he can pretty much go all out working out and throwing the ball now right? this gives the Colts approx. over a month to assess him and make the $28M dollar decision.

Given his recently achieved medical clearance to play, I am assuming he will be allowed to practice and take hits (since his neck fusion has stabilized). If I were Colts management, I would be eager to get him on the practice field and observe his ability to throw the ball compared to his pre-injury self.

IMO, most of the docs' job is done. They still need to monitor the nerve growth issue, but they have given the medical clearance to play.

The next step is to get him to practice and have the trainers and coaches observe his progress (if any) on his throws, so that they can report to Mr. Irsay how much he has achieved, and how much he still needs to achieve to get back to the 100% of his pre-injury self.

Then Mr. Irsay will have to make his decision.

Given his recently achieved medical clearance to play, I am assuming he will be allowed to practice and take hits (since his neck fusion has stabilized). If I were Colts management, I would be eager to get him on the practice field and observe his ability to throw the ball compared to his pre-injury self.

IMO, most of the docs' job is done. They still need to monitor the nerve growth issue, but they have given the medical clearance to play.

The next step is to get him to practice and observe his progress (if any) on his throws, so that they can report to Mr. Irsay how much he has achieved, and how much he still needs to achieve to get back to the 100% of his pre-injury self.

thanks

this will be an interesting month

Like I said in my previous post the rumor is that he had a throwing session today with Colts receivers. Can anybody confirm? If he did sounds like it was pre-planned so I would assume the Colts brass would have to know about it. Wonder how long before someone leaks exactly where his arm is at right now.

I knew a lot of people would get all giddy about this news but I really don't see how this is any news at all. Everybody knew that his fusion had takin place and it was going to be fine. What we need to know is where his nerve regeneration is at and as long as we don't know that, then we don't know anything different than we already knew.

The next step is to get him to practice and have the trainers and coaches observe his progress (if any) on his throws, so that they can report to Mr. Irsay how much he has achieved, and how much he still needs to achieve to get back to the 100% of his pre-injury self.

Assuming the tricep is good to go, he should be able to regain quite a bit of strength in a months time. He might not be completley 100% by the deadline, but they should be able to at least have enough information to be able to determine with reasonable certainity if he will be able to go by the time the season starts.

Which is awesome. My biggest concern was that they wouldn't be able to know that and would have to make a blind decision (which would almost certainly result in his release)

Obviously we aren't there yet. But I feel much better now than I did a few days ago about the situation.

Assuming the tricep is good to go, he should be able to regain quite a bit of strength in a months time. He might not be completley 100% by the deadline, but they should be able to at least have enough information to be able to determine with reasonable certainity if he will be able to go by the time the season starts.

Which is awesome. My biggest concern was that they wouldn't be able to know that and would have to make a blind decision (which would almost certainly result in his release)

Obviously we aren't there yet. But I feel much better now than I did a few days ago about the situation.

Yes.

And heres the thing. Read exactly what the article has said. One of the sources said that "if you were my son, i'd say go out and play this sunday". Would he really tell him to go out and play if he wasn't close to being back?

And also, what defines Manning's acceptable standard for being back? Manning for all we know is a perfectionist and that level could be even higher than even game performance at this rate.

Sign Manning, Draft Luck and give Pagano a chance to work some magic with our defense. The defense showed some signs with Nevis healthy.

( Future )When Manning retires you have more exp Luck who knows what you need to do as a pro and the Colts should gain cap room when Manning retires.

I would much rather have a team of Manning and a rather by NFL standards lesser payed players. Then a team where the the pay is more evenly dispersed but you don't have a pro bowl qb. Look at these teams who have much better players at more positions then the colts cept QB and can't get to playoffs consistantly( Jets / Vikings / Dolphins / Chiefs ) etc.

The NFL is a QB driven league if you have a great QB you always have shot. The colts "record" playoff run speaks to what a great QB can do.

Your concern is valid and warranted. From everything I have read thus far, the ability to throw is linked to two things: nerve regeneration and how much prior muscle atrophy there was. Neither of which we know.

The only thing we can hope for is that the trainers and the coaches that have the responsibility to report to Mr. Irsay about PM's rehab progress can see a pattern of improvement and not a plateau as time passes, such that they can confidently project forward. If the situation is that they cannot confidently project forward, based on the uncertainties associated with nerve/muscle atrophy, then we are likely looking at a risk/reward decision based on Mr. Irsay's risk tolerance.

That's my opinion of what the process should look like. I don't know what the real case may be.

Yes.

And heres the thing. Read exactly what the article has said. One of the sources said that "if you were my son, i'd say go out and play this sunday". Would he really tell him to go out and play if he wasn't close to being back?

And also, what defines Manning's acceptable standard for being back? Manning for all we know is a perfectionist and that level could be even higher than even game performance at this rate.

There still could be some of the recovery that is out of his hands with nerve regeneration. Rehab can only do so much. I knew people would latch onto this good news and they should but until we hear reports of where his throwing is and is he making progress over the next month will I think he's going to make it all the way back. Hoping for the best though.

VIDEO & story- Peyton Manning has been medically cleared by two doctors, including Dr. Robert Watkins, who performed the most recent surgery, also this week he has been aggressivly throwing

Both Drs say he could play this Sunday if his arm felt good enough , its no longer a neck safety issue, just a performance level issue

reports say manning now attempting aggressive throwing to determine level can plat at

Watson also instructed the quarterback to continue an aggressive rehabilitation path that provides an optimistic outlook for Manning to play in 2012.

( Video says on Tues and Thurs Peyton has been throwing aggressively )

The source said Manning had a throwing session Tuesday with two of his Colts receivers --Anthony Gonzalez and Blair White -- at an undisclosed location and that Manning has spent numerous recent days throwing to at least one wide receiver, aiming to regain as much strength as possible in his arm.

However, the source said Manning still cannot pinpoint a date when his performance will reach an acceptable level to him. The source alluded that it might take to the one-year anniversary of Manning's May 23rd, 2011 surgery on a bulging disk in his neck.

Watkins, according to the sources, joined Colts neurosurgeon Dr. Hank Feuer in clearing Manning to play. One source said that Feuer recently told Manning, "If you were my own son, I'd tell (you) to go play."

http://espn.go.com/n...r?eleven=twelve

Like I said in my previous post the rumor is that he had a throwing session today with Colts receivers. Can anybody confirm? If he did sounds like it was pre-planned so I would assume the Colts brass would have to know about it. Wonder how long before someone leaks exactly where his arm is at right now.

The just said on ESPN that it was Gonzo and Blair White

Let me put it to you guys like this. If he still couldn't throw a ball more than 20 yards like they were saying he couldn't back in December and now the doctors are saying now "you could go out and play this sunday", would they tell him to go play if he couldnt throw more than 20 yards?

Yes.

That is a valid point. When we are injured per say and the doctor says ok you can return to work no restrictions. He means full activity.

Why would the doctor say you are cleared to play (knowing he's a QB) if he could not play? Wouldn't the doctor have said Peyton you are cleared but we still want you on light work outs until we feel good about the nerve genration in the arm?

One thing that this does make interesting is the stance that Irsay has used mostly. He has continually claimed that retaining Manning is not about money, but about his health and not putting him at risk. Just very recently have we heard him state differently. Last week he brought up the arm strength and the cap issues. Those were never a concern before, so one has to wonder if Irsay has changed his tune a bit due to this news (which I think he likely knew about before ESPN).

So this puts a lot of pressure on Irsay, and that is why this is big news, despite where the nerve is at.

Let me put it to you guys like this. If he still couldn't throw a ball more than 20 yards like they were saying he couldn't back in December and now the doctors are saying now "you could go out and play this sunday", would they tell him to go play if he couldnt throw more than 20 yards?

Doctors aren't evaluating him from a performance level only from a safety level. They probably don't know a thing about how he can throw right now.

Yes.

Adam, I did read the entire article. The docs gave him medical clearance to play because they felt the neck fusion has stabilized in its fixation. Therefore there is no longer a fear/concern that an NFL hit will damage what the surgeries fixed. This does not mean that PM is throwing like he used to pre-injury. The doctors may not be able to tell if PM can throw like his pre-injury self. They don't have to. For all they know, PM could throw the ball like me (worse than Curtis Painter) and still clear him medically to play.

Therefore medical clearance addresses the safety issue, but not the performance issue. So he is not entirely back in that sense.

Adam, I did read the entire article. The docs gave him medical clearance to play because they felt the neck fusion has stabilized in its fixation. Therefore there is no longer a fear/concern that an NFL hit will damage what the surgeries fixed. This does not mean that PM is throwing like he used to pre-injury. The doctors may not be able to tell if PM can throw like his pre-injury self. They don't have to. For all they know, PM could throw the ball like me (worse than Curtis Painter) and still clear him medically to play.

Therefore medical clearance addresses the safety issue, but not the performance issue. So he is not entirely back in that sense.

You really are naive if you think Peyton would go through the hassle to get a nerosergeon and rehab doctor that doesn't know a lick about how he is throwing a football in relation to his career and his "pre-throwing self". This isn't your joe blow doctors.

Yes.

Well, I believe (key word there) they were refering to the idea of not being a danger of setting things back or reinjury, not that his arm strength was back (which is the big issue now)

I could be wrong though, which would be sweet.