Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What will Chris Ballard's approach be in Free Agency? (Merge)

ColtsStrong86

11 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I would really like to see the Colts snag Jason Pierre-Paul and either a solid LB or CB free agent to go with him.  Maybe take the chance on signing one more O-line man or trading D-Allen for one if anyone would bite on the offer.

Yes, trading Allen should be a priority and maybe get another draft pick for him and sign Doyle. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I could see Ballard taking a bit of a different approach than Grigso did in free agancy.   Ergo, rather than waiting and filling up with inexpensive second tier FAs, maybe instead go out there aggressively and grab one or two big name, still young FAs.

Hence, if KC does not tag or come to terms with Berry, I say go HARD for him!  With ADams being a free agent, why not significantly upgrade the position with one of the leagues best game changers?  Eric Berry w/Geathers should form a great inside defensive backfield, with Green being the primary fill-in.  Draft a corner high and all of a sudden the secondary is solved!

"2) Eric BerryKansas City Chiefs safety: Berry checks every conceivable box. He's a superstar at a scarce position (practically every team is looking for a safety). He's a locker-room leader and squarely in his prime at 28 years old. Retained with a franchise tag that created acrimony before the 2016 season..."

Secondly, also go hard for one of the young premier pass rushers available.  If it turns out he's really available, my choice, I think, would be to bring in Melvin Ingram from the Chargers.

"7) Melvin IngramLos Angeles Chargers outside linebacker: Don't just look at the sack total. Ingram slowly evolved into one of football's most disruptive, complete outside linebackers in 2016. ..."

Then BOOM!  Just like that the secondary and linebacking core has an injection of two young, elite, impact players, immediately correcting two of Grigson's most glaring failures.  The Colts have the coin to do this.  I say just gitter done!

Then augment this with a defense heavy draft and you might just see an immediate defensive turnaround like the Giants had last year.  Easy Peasy.

I'd love this off season hall even if these are the only two! But idk if Melvin makes it to the open market

31 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I'd love this off season hall even if these are the only two! But idk if Melvin makes it to the open market

I am not so sure, either, but I've been reading that the Chargers are very strapped for cash and that as such, Melvin Ingram might be allowed to test the FA waters.   If that's true, then the Colts ought to swoop in and get him.   Much the same thing with Eric Berry.  Hard to believe he might be available, but if he is, then breaking the bank for him is something I very much advocate.

3 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I am not so sure, either, but I've been reading that the Chargers are very strapped for cash and that as such, Melvin Ingram might be allowed to test the FA waters.   If that's true, then the Colts ought to swoop in and get him.   Much the same thing with Eric Berry.  Hard to believe he might be available, but if he is, then breaking the bank for him is something I very much advocate.

Chargers don't have loads of cap space (though they could create some via cuts) but basically the only major UFA they have is Ingram. Others will be either cheap or they already have replacements ready.

If they want to keep him, they can do so, fairly easily.

17 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Nick Perry is a nice second tier guy I could see is bringing in.

Again. Nick Perry being undervalued.

Perry is an ascending player who's finally starting to live up to the hype. He's putting it all together and will be a beast on this upcoming contract IMO. Here's an article from PFF below. But Perry isn't a 2nd tier guy. He's becoming a top tier guy and he should be priority number 1 this offseason if big Bones Jones doesn't hit the market.

6. Nick Perry, EDGE, Green Bay Packers

Coming into 2016, Nick Perry had never played particularly poor over a season, but there was little to suggest that he could become an impact player for the Packers and justify his first-round draft status. This season, though, Perry racked up 11 sacks and 47 total QB pressures—despite missing significant time due to injury. He also recorded 37 defensive stops, good enough for ninth-most among all NFL edge defenders, despite playing fewer snaps than any of the players above him in that category (and many of those below him). Perry has looked excellent against the run and pass, and now looks every bit like a former first-round pick.

4 hours ago, I'm mad, bro said:

I'd be interested, but for what I want some value

i doubt another team will value him highly enough to take on his contract and give up a draft pick.  he could be a candidate for a player for player trade

16 hours ago, AndyLuck said:

Oh my goodness that hate on Green is ridiculous, yes he wasn't good, but he wasn't even supposed to play at all... :wall:

If we wanted a developmental safety why didn't we draft Sean Davis. People were saying the same thing when Pittsburgh drafted him as the did when we drafted Green right before that. Look who shined in his rookie year. Look who got better and better as the year went on. Davis. If we were going to go that route It was obvious Davis was better than Green IMO. Not only that, but he has a higher ceiling IMO.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Again. Nick Perry being undervalued.

Perry is an ascending player who's finally starting to live up to the hype. He's putting it all together and will be a beast on this upcoming contract IMO. Here's an article from PFF below. But Perry isn't a 2nd tier guy. He's becoming a top tier guy and he should be priority number 1 this offseason if big Bones Jones doesn't hit the market.

6. Nick Perry, EDGE, Green Bay Packers

Coming into 2016, Nick Perry had never played particularly poor over a season, but there was little to suggest that he could become an impact player for the Packers and justify his first-round draft status. This season, though, Perry racked up 11 sacks and 47 total QB pressures—despite missing significant time due to injury. He also recorded 37 defensive stops, good enough for ninth-most among all NFL edge defenders, despite playing fewer snaps than any of the players above him in that category (and many of those below him). Perry has looked excellent against the run and pass, and now looks every bit like a former first-round pick.

Second tier, as in not Von Miller-Khalil Mack leve.

3 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Second tier, as in not Von Miller-Khalil Mack leve.

10-4. I thought you meant 2nd tier as in Grigson type signings. Erik Walden (Even though he pulled a Lorenzo Alexander this year and had 10 sacks and a bunch of hurries for the 1st time in a 8-10??? year career lol) But I'd put Perry in that 2nd tier as well behind the Millers, Macks, Houstons, etc.

45 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

10-4. I thought you meant 2nd tier as in Grigson type signings. Erik Walden (Even though he pulled a Lorenzo Alexander this year and had 10 sacks and a bunch of hurries for the 1st time in a 8-10??? year career lol) But I'd put Perry in that 2nd tier as well behind the Millers, Macks, Houstons, etc.

I like Perry. Hopefully he would be cheaper than the likes of Ingram.

Assuming we hit big in the draft and FA, we'll still need a few of our young guys to really breakout. I'm talking like really breakout. These are the guys with the potential to have breakout seasons and become household names. We need 3 or 4 of Anderson, Ridgeway, Geathers, Green, Moncrief, Dorsett, Haeg, and Clark. And maybe we'll get a nice surprise from a guy like E-Jax or Morrison at ILB. But highly doubting it. We need Crief to stay healthy. He's got the ability of a number 1. We need him to become a household name and put up like 1,200 and 12, and he's more than capable of it. Then he and TY will finally be what we expected. Then who knows. Dorsett may put it all together in his 3rd year. Its definitely way too early to give up on him. Kid's got big time talent.

Also, btw. Nick Perry was injured part of the year and missed a few games and still had 11 sacks. If he hadn't been injured and missed some games he might've been close to the league lead in sacks. You know maybe 13 or so. For a while he was on pace for like 18. But like I've been saying he's just starting to put it all together and live up to his potential.

12 hours ago, Zach Boyd said:

I'm a big believer in building through the draft and resigning your own However if you want to be competitive this year he will have to sign two or three players just way to many holes

FA is all too often fools gold.  We will likely  A money for B players.  But if it fills a hole and the contract is structured to minimize any long term damage if the player busts, then you do it.  But more than a couple is too much, and more than one 'Big FA Star' is too much.  This is a team sport, and each team is a 'club'.   Someone who hasn't been on the team waltzes in while making more money than 95% of the roster is ominous.  More than one could be fatal to locker room chemistry.  The good thing is, time honored Colts vets are  essentially out potentially minimizing the issue here, IMO.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2016/03/10/NFL-free-agency-History-shows-spending-sprees-equal-fools-gold/9521457626768/

11 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Nice I didn't know the chargers where strapped for cash!! I mean there are a lot of teams with money, but let's go to war for Melvin Ingram and Eric Berry. Maybe I'm dreaming but throw Zach Brown in that, draft around them, our D can go from 30th to top 10. I might be wrong but werent the giants 30th the year before? 9th this year? Someone tell me how right I am

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Also, btw. Nick Perry was injured part of the year and missed a few games and still had 11 sacks. If he hadn't been injured and missed some games he might've been close to the league lead in sacks. You know maybe 13 or so. For a while he was on pace for like 18. But like I've been saying he's just starting to put it all together and live up to his potential.

Nick Perry is legit AF! The man played with a club on his hand and still putting up #s. I'd love him on our squad and would pay any amount to have him. 

30 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

FA is all too often fools gold.  We will likely  A money for B players.  But if it fills a hole and the contract is structured to minimize any long term damage if the player busts, then you do it.  But more than a couple is too much, and more than one 'Big FA Star' is too much.  This is a team sport, and each team is a 'club'.   Someone who hasn't been on the team waltzes in while making more money than 95% of the roster is ominous.  More than one could be fatal to locker room chemistry.  The good thing is, time honored Colts vets are  essentially out potentially minimizing the issue here, IMO.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2016/03/10/NFL-free-agency-History-shows-spending-sprees-equal-fools-gold/9521457626768/

Yeah I know because Jenkins, Harrison, and Vernon all sucked this year for NYG. And Talib, Ward, and Ware were really bad for Denver. You just gotta make the right signings bro. Smart signings. Not Laron Landry, Trent Cole signings. For example Nick Perry's value is trending WAY up. That's a smart signing. His best football is the next 5-6 years.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah I know because Jenkins, Harrison, and Vernon all sucked this year for NYG. And Talib, Ward, and Ware were really bad for Denver. You just gotta make the right signings bro. Smart signings. Not Laron Landry, Trent Cole signings. For example Nick Perry's value is trending WAY up. That's a smart signing. His best football is the next 5-6 years.

Agreed. And with how the cap works, the Colts HAVE to spend a certain amount of the money they have anyway.

33 minutes ago, Green_Ranger said:

I don't want Nick Perry. Lol.

I didn't think so either, but I didn't realize how good of a 2016 season he had. I always thought of him not playing to his draft position, but I honestly didn't think to I've him a 2nd look this past season. If he's put it all together and the contract is right, I'd be down.

LOL. The whole "nobody knows Nick Perry established himself as a straight up beast this year" is crazy to me. He always had the potential. This year he started to put it all together. He's going to be even better this coming year IMO. He's putting it al together and becoming what he was supposed to be. He was just a late bloomer. Happens all the time. He had 11 sacks while missing 2 games and playing a handful with that cast thing. If it weren't for that he would have probably got close to 15 sacks. ASCENDING player. He needs to be signed ASAP when the NLY starts. I mean. Come on guys. Keep up with whats going on around the league. Does anyone know Bouye was a top 5 CB this year? He's a FA, but there's some who'd take Kirkpatrick or Johnson over him. Perry and Bouye need to be priority 1.

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL. The whole "nobody knows Nick Perry established himself as a straight up beast this year" is crazy to me. He always had the potential. This year he started to put it all together. He's going to be even better this coming year IMO. He's putting it al together and becoming what he was supposed to be. He was just a late bloomer. Happens all the time. He had 11 sacks while missing 2 games and playing a handful with that cast thing. If it weren't for that he would have probably got close to 15 sacks. ASCENDING player. He needs to be signed ASAP when the NLY starts. I mean. Come on guys. Keep up with whats going on around the league. Does anyone know Bouye was a top 5 CB this year? He's a FA, but there's some who'd take Kirkpatrick or Johnson over him. Perry and Bouye need to be priority 1.

I think players like that often get labeled and written off in a lot of folks' minds. He was a guy drafted higher than the experts though he would go, because he was always a "high upside" player and for the first few years was just ok.

Bouye did have a very solid season and I'd take him if we could afford him, but I think he'll cash in early in FA. 

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

That is the issue.  Bill Polian was bad at ti, so stopped doing it.  Ryan Grigson appears to have been somewhat poor at it.  All his signings didn't pan out or were somewhat milquetoast. We do not know if Ballard is going to be good at it or not.  Fortunately, we don't have a lot of stars in our locker room to clash with big shot FA's that might be bought in...

19 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That is the issue.  Bill Polian was bad at ti, so stopped doing it.  Ryan Grigson appears to have been somewhat poor at it.  All his signings didn't pan out or were somewhat milquetoast. We do not know if Ballard is going to be good at it or not.  Fortunately, we don't have a lot of stars in our locker room to clash with big shot FA's that might be bought in...

Polian wasn't really bad at it.  He had to start using the money to keep guys because he was drafting so well, a problem Grigson never really had, but would still sign a guy here or there if he thought it made sense.  Polian also believed in the idea you always over pay in free agency and there is a reason the team let that player hit the open market.  

I think with everything that Ballard has said and with everything we know about him and his experience, i wouldn't bet on an extremely busy offseason.

If Berry or Poe make it to the offseason (both of which I doubt), I see him making a push cause he knows those players and has worked with them. Similar thing around the league with any free agents that he has worked with extensively and knows well. But I don't see him just picking any guy that a great season out of a hat and giving him a superstar contract (guys like Bouye). Now I am not saying that those signings would be bad or that they wouldn't help this team. It is clear to me, from what we know so far, that he will use the free agency to build depth, and acquire mainly young talent when he pulls the trigger. I think we will no longer be seeing any of the 30+ year old signings that Grigson was a big part of. Instead we might see some reclamation projects or some guys that have major upside years ahead of them. And I am ok with that. That being said, I do believe atleast one really good piece should be bought in the offseason. We need SOMETHING to inject into this defense. Whether its a star guy upfront, a star LB, a star secondary, anything. Preferably a pass rusher like Nick Perry who comes from a great organization too. 

Apart from that, expect the draft to be primarily defense while some picks being weird cause of his strong position on not reaching and picking based on value (stuff like drafting a Cook at our pick if he is the best guy on the board). I think we should be a little patient with his process. Irsay, I am pretty sure, hired him to build something similar to what KC and Seattle have built. Defenses from the ground up in 1-2 years mainly through the draft. 

11 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

If we wanted a developmental safety why didn't we draft Sean Davis. People were saying the same thing when Pittsburgh drafted him as the did when we drafted Green right before that. Look who shined in his rookie year. Look who got better and better as the year went on. Davis. If we were going to go that route It was obvious Davis was better than Green IMO. Not only that, but he has a higher ceiling IMO.

How could anyone have a higher ceiling? 

Green is 6'2 and runs a 4.3..... Only way Sean Davis has more potential is if he is 6'3+ and runs a sub 4.3.

Green has alot of body he could grow into. That's what a ceiling is.

14 minutes ago, Brett Snyder said:

How could anyone have a higher ceiling? 

Green is 6'2 and runs a 4.3..... Only way Sean Davis has more potential is if he is 6'3+ and runs a sub 4.3.

Green has alot of body he could grow into. That's what a ceiling is.

Put all that height and 40 time away bro. Sean Davis was simply the better of the 2, and both were very comparable coming into the draft. Both were 2 raw, high upside DB's who experts thought were drafted early.

But with that said I mean Green could come in net year and become a top 5 safety and end up being the better of the 2 in the long run, but I'm just highly doubting that personally. It just goes to show how poor our scouting is man. There were plenty of better players on the board from the 2nd round on who could have came in and contributed day 1. Bradberry, Ngakoue, Whitehair, and a handful more. Cody Whitehair after Ryan Kelly would have literally fixed our OL over night.

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

.... Cody Whitehair after Ryan Kelly would have literally fixed our OL over night.

I was actually advocating this at the time.  C & G fixed just like that!

I have to admit to not following how Whitehair did in 2016, though.   Was he a solid plug and play OG as billed?

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

I have to admit to not following how Whitehair did in 2016, though.   Was he a solid plug and play OG as billed?

Whitehair was a stud fro day one but he played center.

On 1/30/2017 at 9:00 PM, buccolts said:

Actually, I thought Grigson was pretty good from a financial standpoint. 

His drafts couldn't support his FA strategy, though. 

He was good from a financial standpoint.  He just didn't sign the right guys.  

Lots of middle of the road FA's live up to their contracts.  For the most part his just didn't.  But the general strategy was sound and good.

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

He played a lot of Center and became one of the best Centers in the NFL. But I mean he's interchangeable. He would have been great at RG too. But he and Kelly were right there with one another. The thing I loved about him was always his pass blocking skills, so yeah I wanted him too. But yeah bro. He was a stud this year.

We could have actually taken Chris Jones in the 1st, Whitehair in the 2nd and been in better shape. But I still would have liked fixing our OL overnight with 2 plug and play rookies who balled out from week 1 on. Its always nice to have good young players across your OL. Means you can spend your money on other areas of need.

After the Colts traded back, I was a bit disappointed because I wanted them to take Whitehair, then as it turned out, one before the Colts pick and Whitehair is still there ..... but then ... DOH!  The Bears took Whitehair right before the Colts picked T.J. Green.  I wonder, if Whitehair had still been there, would the Colts have taken him?  Just for the fun of it, I sure would like to know.  Had Whitehair still been there and then taken by the Colts, the trade back would have been brilliant in my mind.

Turns out the trade back could be construed as being Colts trade Cody Whitehair in exchange for T.J, Green, Antonio Morrison, & Austin Blythe.  At this point in time, given the players the Colts selected, I would not do that trade retrospectively.  Of course, if T.J. Green emerges in the next couple of years and Morrison develops into a bonafide starter, then the trade might be debatable.

6 hours ago, Finball said:

Whitehair was a stud fro day one but he played center.

5 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

He played a lot of Center and became one of the best Centers in the NFL. But I mean he's interchangeable. He would have been great at RG too. But he and Kelly were right there with one another. The thing I loved about him was always his pass blocking skills, so yeah I wanted him too. But yeah bro. He was a stud this year.

We could have actually taken Chris Jones in the 1st, Whitehair in the 2nd and been in better shape. But I still would have liked fixing our OL overnight with 2 plug and play rookies who balled out from week 1 on. Its always nice to have good young players across your OL. Means you can spend your money on other areas of need.

7 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Just so we are clear. Whitehair was one of the highest rated Centers in the NFL...however there is a big caveat to that....he had two pro bowl guards playing on either side of him...meaning he had TONS of help in his assignments. Let's not down play that point. Sure you have to win your battles but we wouldn't have been able to put together guys around him of that caliber at all...and there is no telling how he would fare at Guard or if he had lesser talent playing on either side of him. I liked Whitehair in the draft too...I also liked Martin at center as well so the pick of Kelly I wasn't exactly sold on...but that all said lets give Green a chance. He is THE definition of RAW....he was forced into action much sooner than he should have. Chuck wanted the kid...got the kid...and is suppose to be a secondary guru...to me Green is on him.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Most fans are not realistic when it comes to FA but it's not unrealistic imo to want 2 top end FAs like Berry and Ingram if both hit the market. We could afford that and then a role player or maybe 2 we really are not spending much money on D at all right now. But I do still believe Davis is a star just hard for him to do anything with absolutely zero pass rush.

We need difference makers role players wont do us any good.