Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay Press Conference Discussion Thread

MTC

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Biscuits and mustard too haha. I have to admit I am even shocked Irsay got rid of 1 of them because of the extensions they had. So I am still pretty happy today. Not sure what Peyton's future holds?

Yeah, one is better than nothing..I just hate to waste another year with Pagano...Anybody who watches us can see coaching is holding us back..It should be up to the G.M., but ot sounds like Irsay is gonna keep Raye because he is the only guy who is willing to work with his boy flappy hands...Hope this is all wrong and Irsay is just saying what he has to say until G.M is hired and fires Pagano..

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kind of ticked off when Irsay said that Chuck will be the coach in 2017.  However, after thinking about it and reading some of your guys' responses, it does make sense to keep him in a way.

Irsay is all about continuity.  I'm sure that he realized that the Grigano combo is a sinking ship, but he probably didn't want the players to have to deal with a new GM AND a new coach.  Even though Chuck is not a good coach (in my opinion), I think that Irsay realized that the upcoming draft is crucial for the next few years of this franchise.  Add in the fact that we have a decent amount of cap room to play with, it makes sense that he fired Grigs and maybe kept Pagano for the sake of continuity.  For 2017, I really believe that having a good GM is more important than a good coach.   My guess is that we will have a new coach in 2018.  We shall see.

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Yeah, one is better than nothing..I just hate to waste another year with Pagano...Anybody who watches us can see coaching is holding us back..It should be up to the G.M., but ot sounds like Irsay is gonna keep Raye because he is the only guy who is willing to work with his boy flappy hands...Hope this is all wrong and Irsay is just saying what he has to say until G.M is hired and fires Pagano..

The new GM may not want to work with Pagano?  Just sayin'............

6 minutes ago, Mr Coffee said:

I was kind of ticked off when Irsay said that Chuck will be the coach in 2017.  However, after thinking about it and reading some of your guys' responses, it does make sense to keep him in a way.

Irsay is all about continuity.  I'm sure that he realized that the Grigano combo is a sinking ship, but he probably didn't want the players to have to deal with a new GM AND a new coach.  Even though Chuck is not a good coach (in my opinion), I think that Irsay realized that the upcoming draft is crucial for the next few years of this franchise.  Add in the fact that we have a decent amount of cap room to play with, it makes sense that he fired Grigs and maybe kept Pagano for the sake of continuity.  For 2017, I really believe that having a good GM is more important than a good coach.   My guess is that we will have a new coach in 2018.  We shall see.

All Irsay said was that Chuck is our coach going into 2017.  He also said that the new GM once brought onboard will evaluate everything.  Same thing he said when Grigson was hired before he ultimately fired Caldwell.  Irsay is just leaving that decision to the new GM.  Chuck may stay or could still go...we will just have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

That's what I'm hoping..I fear he is gonna just Hire Raye because he is willing to work with him..

Well less than 24 hours ago the reigning theory and speculation was that Grigson was 'the son Irsay never had' and was so tied into the Irsay family that he was immovable... So there is that too...

Just now, Mr Coffee said:

Yes I agree. we will continue to be average or below and miss the playoffs.

Only way Irsay felt he could untie them (Grigano combo) and see how the other one would fare. I was telling someone after the Luck shoulder surgery that if Luck were off to a slow start, I'd rather Pagano be the coach so a new coach not be tied to a bad situation and we can truly evaluate how Pagano does. AFC South leader at a minimum with playoffs win is what Pagano will need to be retained after 2017 season.

Pagano and his coaches sure can't feel that safe, IMO

51 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

Irsay did state that the new GM would ultimately decide if Chuck coaches next season.

I hope that is the case. The players may love to play for Chuck, but I don't believe that that has been a recipe for success for NFL HCs. Have the Belichicks and Coughlins of the world been so-called players' coaches? Pagano isn't an Xs and Os coach and I believe that is why his game plans going into games seem so weak.

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Well, Irsay said they are both excited and going to Senior Bowl together...Doesn't sound good..Irsay seemed pretty confident Pagano was his coach next year..

Yeah, Irsay heaped way too much praise and confidence in both Raye and Chuck to indicate any changes. I just don't see him going that in depth about them if he wasn't going to hire Raye and keep Pagano.

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Well, Irsay said they are both excited and going to Senior Bowl together...Doesn't sound good..Irsay seemed pretty confident Pagano was his coach next year..

Yeah it doesn't look good right now but that could change. I do think a coaching change is needed as well but we'll just have to wait and see

1 minute ago, Derakynn said:

I guess Grigson getting fired means we aren't allowed to point at that this team has been severely outcoached against quality (and even bad) teams. Got the quick slap twice by both the Pats and Steelers in the exact same way each time. 

Oh, it's been pointed out several times...

He did also say that he already has a list of candidates in mind. Names that "we" may not know much about. All his talking to other people (Gruden/Manning) or others we don't know about, could have helped him build that list. And with a new GM that will evaluate everything could still leave open a change at HC. Just MO but I don't think it's guaranteed it's already in house. I think he has a bigger plan. 

Just now, CoachLite said:

Irsay and the front office must choose the next GM very carefully.  Another dud like Grigson and the Colts will be damaged far into the future. No excellent candidate wants to work for a dysfunctional organization, and it may be too late already.

When you have a QB like Luck the job will always be appealing.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Today was a step in the right direction.  I think 2017 will be Pagano's last year in Indy.  Irsay said himself that he doesn't like making changes and prefers continuity, so I'll take firing Grigson over and keeping Pagano over keeping both.  I fully expect we'll have a new head coach for the 2018 season

Not if Pagono wins!!

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Peter King Retweeted The MMQB

Our man on the case.

Peter King added,

C2ujSNPWEAIvr05.jpg

It's Peyton Manning's job if he wants it: @AlbertBreer on the Grigson firing in Indy, and what's next: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/21/colts-gm-ryan-grigson-fired-peyton-manning 

If we hire Peyton as GM that would be huge!

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

You are absolutely correct. 

But it's funny how no one gives Pagano any chance of winning.

Mark my words he is going to win!!!!!!!! WE have a good staff and another year in Chuds offense, OL improving, it the D now. A solid draft which we are in a position to do with smart picks  and the draft deep in postions of Colts needs, and a couple of free agent signings, preferable a pass rusher and Anderson more than a year removed from surgery!! I like Pagono's and the Colts chances!!!!