Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Running Backs

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously Cook, but the first round pick has to be defense, even if Cook is there. I wouldnt take a rb until round 3 at the earliest and at that point I think both Kamara and Foreman will be gone. At that point we're probably looking at someone like Williams from BYU or Hunt from Toledo.

3 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

D.C. all the way then trade up to get defense.  Even if you have to trade next years number one to get an elite defensive player(s) this year.  The year is now to win and go to the Big Dance....You listening Grigs/Pags and Irsay?

And then if Luck doesnt recover from surgery or gets hurt again, yoire trading away a likely top ten pick. Not under any circumstances do you trade next years first, not unless Garrett slips for some reason. Irsay's likely going to poke around for new coaches next year too and you wouldnt want to handicap them with no first rounder.

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Obviously Cook, but the first round pick has to be defense, even if Cook is there. I wouldnt take a rb until round 3 at the earliest and at that point I think both Kamara and Foreman will be gone. At that point we're probably looking at someone like Williams from BYU or Hunt from Toledo.

Initially, I liked more of what I was reading about Hunt than Williams,  then I watched some tape and it's switched. I need to watch more, but I didn't care for Hunt's running style too much. He seemed way too....bouncy? Williams was pretty solid, despite the fact that the Michigan State defense ate his line apart.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am all in for Drafting Defense, we need it badly but lets say Cook is there and we take him, then go heavy the next 4 rounds on taking LB's and Pass Rusher's. Would it be a bad thing? What if Cook turns into the next Edge and we pass on him? Elliott was Great in Dallas this season.

Take him. If he's there it doesn't matter who else is take him. Defenses would have to change there whole game plan which has been simple, blitz Andrew. With a rb who's not 34 and can actually burn  a defense if you put to much attention on Andrew our offenses would be top 5 easy and Andrew wouldn't have to throw the ball 35-40 times a game which equals less hits. Any RB honestly most ppl aren't I'm a huge fan of Joe mixon, with Ryan fighting for his job he shouldn't pass on such a talent in say the second. One of these good rb in the 3rd or 4th Yea they'll produce and take the load of Frank, but get 1 of the 3 special talents at RB in this class and watch how much better Andrew becomes

36 minutes ago, I'm mad, bro said:

Take him. If he's there it doesn't matter who else is take him. Defenses would have to change there whole game plan which has been simple, blitz Andrew. With a rb who's not 34 and can actually burn  a defense if you put to much attention on Andrew our offenses would be top 5 easy and Andrew wouldn't have to throw the ball 35-40 times a game which equals less hits. Any RB honestly most ppl aren't I'm a huge fan of Joe mixon, with Ryan fighting for his job he shouldn't pass on such a talent in say the second. One of these good rb in the 3rd or 4th Yea they'll produce and take the load of Frank, but get 1 of the 3 special talents at RB in this class and watch how much better Andrew becomes

It would be really tough to pass on Cook if he's there. He looks like a game changing type player, much like Elliott. We need Defense obviously but Rounds 2-5 we could still go all Defense if we took Cook. I think most of this forum would be upset if we don't take the best Pass Rusher available though in Round 1.

Where I'm at right now is that if Fournette is on the board we have to take him. I think that highly of him. I would only take Cook in the first round if we address several needs on this team through free agency.

If we don't get Cook or Fournette we need to make sure we grab a running back in the early rounds (2-4) and not wait until the sixth and seventh round like we've done the last couple of years because that has not worked out.

I like Cook and think he`d be lights out crazy in the Colts offense. However, the fact remains the Colts need playmakers on defense and I don`t want the Colts spending a 1st Rd. pick on a RB. I also don`t want to see the Colts wait and draft a back in later rounds either. Going into next season with 34 year old F. Gore isn`t a sound option IMO. I think the defense can improve somewhat if the Colts can develop a better ground game. I don`t see Gore doing better than the 65 yards a game he averaged the past two season with the Colts. I`d like to see the Colts go after J. Mixon by Rd. three.  

I would still go Fournette over Cook. Why? Dominance. Cook played very well and had a very well rounded game with breakaway speed. Fournette dominated every opponent he played (Alabama aside). Everyone says Cook is better in the passing game, and while that may be true, we've never really seen Fournette as a receiver. LSU has so many receivers they didn't need him to be, but when he was catching the ball he had very soft hand. Everyone likes Cook's home run speed, but doesn't Fournette have that as well. Fournette also runs over everyone on big runs, whereas Cook just tries to make them miss usually. Any time you get a player being compared to Adrian Peterson to fall all the way to 14-15, you take him without a second thought. 

In answering the question here, I'd go:

Fournette

Cook

Foreman

Mixon

Kamara

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

16 hours ago, I'm mad, bro said:

With 5 picks in the first 4 rounds, anyone see us using that 3rd and 4th to jump back up into the second to get one of the top RBs. Only ones worth doing that for are McCaffery or mixon if they are still there in the second. 

If Grigson trades up for a skill position player he should be beat over the head with a bat.

It's unanimous, most of you are saying take Cook and I totally agree.  With the  offense gaining another year of experience under their belt and hopefully improved from the previous year like they have shown that they are capable of, then it's a no brainer.  Take COOK, this will open up the wide receiver's route and Luck and Cook show will take over....Then, focus on the Defense, trade up, think outside to box to make this happen and the  2017 year will be  a  memorable Super Bowl year.....

My top backs?

McCaffery

Cook

Fournette

Mixon

Foreman

Gallman

I think Mcaffrey is a 3 down back that can take it up the gut and break it off for long but he also can run pitches and tosses very well (something it seems like the Colts have lacked) and his catching is near elite for a back and his vision as well. I'm not has high on fournette as everyone else though

1 hour ago, gacoop1 said:

It's unanimous, most of you are saying take Cook and I totally agree.  With the  offense gaining another year of experience under their belt and hopefully improved from the previous year like they have shown that they are capable of, then it's a no brainer.  Take COOK, this will open up the wide receiver's route and Luck and Cook show will take over....Then, focus on the Defense, trade up, think outside to box to make this happen and the  2017 year will be  a  memorable Super Bowl year.....

I don't think you understand the meaning of unanimous....you just say most want Cook....well most isn't unanimous and honestly I think if you took a poll Cook would not be the player of choice in rd. 1 and maybe not even the running back of choice....it definitely isn't unanimous as you seem to claim.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

My top backs?

McCaffery

Cook

Fournette

Mixon

Foreman

Gallman

I think Mcaffrey is a 3 down back that can take it up the gut and break it off for long but he also can run pitches and tosses very well (something it seems like the Colts have lacked) and his catching is near elite for a back and his vision as well. I'm not has high on fournette as everyone else though

For sure. Best pure runner but would be wasted in our offense. Dalvin Cook would be an ideal fit.

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

If Fournette and cook are available when we pick, that means 14 teams with better defenses than us passed on them, probably to get a nice defensive prospect. So why would we, with one of the worst defenses, pick one of them? Wouldn't it be more logical to get a way greater position of need and a nice talent all at once?

We pick them because they are the best player available in a position of need.  We have more than one need you know.  Even if you rank a defensive need ahead of RB need you don't pass up the higher rated player.  But if we do take a RB I guess we will know they were rated higher.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

We pick them because they are the best player available in a position of need.  We have more than one need you know.  Even if you rank a defensive need ahead of RB need you don't pass up the higher rated player.  But if we do take a RB I guess we will know they were rated higher.  

Oh yes we definitely have more than one need. 90% of them are on one side of the ball though. 

Two big things happened this year

1. We had a 1000 yard rusher

2. We allowed the most yards in colts history

I think it's obvious.

25 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Oh yes we definitely have more than one need. 90% of them are on one side of the ball though. 

Two big things happened this year

1. We had a 1000 yard rusher

2. We allowed the most yards in colts history

I think it's obvious.

But if the higher rated player is a RB it's obvious you take the RB. 

Man I LOVE Cook. Not gonna lie, I salivate thinking the pure domination and fear the Colts offense would instill on opposing defenses.

But I just can't justifying taking him in the first. Guys the defense needs stars. Not good players (okay yes good players, but they need an elite player more than anything). There's a ton of good RBs in this draft. Especially late. And it's not like the Colts' O is dependent on it's run game. It was still top 10 and had a 1000 yard rusher.

That being said, some guys I like in the mid to late rounds.

Brian Hill

Alvin Kamara

Wayne Gallman

Kareem Hunt

Khaled Abdullah

Jamaal Williams

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Man I LOVE Cook. Not gonna lie, I salivate thinking the pure domination and fear the Colts offense would instill on opposing defenses.

But I just can't justifying taking him in the first. Guys the defense needs stars. Not good players (okay yes good players, but they need an elite player more than anything). There's a ton of good RBs in this draft. Especially late. And it's not like the Colts' O is dependent on it's run game. It was still top 10 and had a 1000 yard rusher.

That being said, some guys I like in the mid to late rounds.

Brian Hill

Alvin Kamara

Wayne Gallman

Kareem Hunt

Khaled Abdullah

Jamaal Williams

Kamara is one of the hottest names in the RB crowd.    Very little chance he gets past the 2nd round...   but certainly not the 3rd.

10 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Here's a curve ball for ya, what if a defender and cook are rated the same, and they're both available? Do you think griggles will roll with a skill position?

That's the $64,000 question.  I have no idea.  It might come down to how successful they are in FA.  All I know for sure is they traded a No.1 pick for Trent Richardson in hopes of acquiring that elite back.  I would imagine they will find it hard to pass on him. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That's the $64,000 question.  I have no idea.  It might come down to how successful they are in FA.  All I know for sure is they traded a No.1 pick for Trent Richardson in hopes of acquiring that elite back.  I would imagine they will find it hard to pass on him. 

If that defender is Reuben Foster I think I'm going Foster.  He's a big beast!

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kamara is one of the hottest names in the RB crowd.    Very little chance he gets past the 2nd round...   but certainly not the 3rd.

Curtis Samuel is the 3rd best back in this class, and we can get him round 2 or 3, he could be the STEAL of this draft...

21 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Curtis Samuel is the 3rd best back in this class, and we can get him round 2 or 3, he could be the STEAL of this draft...

Samuel is hot too......

But I don't think he's what we're looking for....

He's on some lists as a RB and on other lists as a WR.    I read he may be of a slot guy...

He doesn't appear to have the build of a guy who eventually you want to have 15-18 touches a game.

I believe he's roughly 5'11" and 195.

Not saying he isn't good....    just that he may not be a fit for what the Colts are looking for.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Samuel is hot too......

But I don't think he's what we're looking for....

He's on some lists as a RB and on other lists as a WR.    I read he may be of a slot guy...

He doesn't appear to have the build of a guy who eventually you want to have 15-18 touches a game.

I believe he's roughly 5'11" and 195.

Not saying he isn't good....    just that he may not be a fit for what the Colts are looking for.

Man he might be just what we need, more electric than McCafferey..If he splits carries with Turbin gets 15 carries a game ,and we use him in the slot he covers 2 areas of need..He gives us a true dangerous slot guy, and a home run threat in the run game...We could use Turbin in short yardage...I have been trying to find that guy and I love this kid..He is #3 on my board at RB..

16 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Man he might be just what we need, more electric than McCafferey..If he splits carries with Turbin gets 15 carries a game ,and we use him in the slot he covers 2 areas of need..He gives us a true dangerous slot guy, and a home run threat in the run game...We could use Turbin in short yardage...I have been trying to find that guy and I love this kid..He is #3 on my board at RB..

I don't view Samuel as a future every down back and in this draft,  I want to come away with a solid future #1.  

I view Samuel as a great complimentary back.    Your change of pace back.   

This draft offers a large number of both....    everyday backs,  and complimentary backs.

I think the Colts will be looking for the next Frank Gore and take his eventual replacement.

I love Turbin.     Glad we signed him and want to bring hm back.    But I don't see him getting that many touches. He's a specialty back.