Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Running Backs

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

My take, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.  Too many other good backs to take before him.  He's a suspension waiting to happen.  Wait until he gets some money in his pocket.  No thanks!   We'll probably take Fournett or Cook in the 1st. anyway.  Ballard is a big believer in BPA regardless of position.  If either one is there and they have them as BPA when there pick comes " welcome to Indy".

I'm still saying there's no way we take a RB in the 1st. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Never know, I am for Defense mainly but if Cook is there who knows? We can still get 2 or 3 solid Defensive players in Rounds 2-4

If the Colts make any moves in FA to address the front 7, I would not be upset if the Colts took Cook or Fournette in the 1st Rd. However, I`m really hoping they`re both gone when the Colts pick. That will leave more playmakers to choose from on the defensive side of the ball. I doubt he`s there when the Colts pick, but I really, really like M. Hooker.  

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If the Colts make any moves in FA to address the front 7, I would not be upset if the Colts took Cook or Fournette in the 1st Rd. However, I`m really hoping they`re both gone when the Colts pick. That will leave more playmakers to choose from on the defensive side of the ball. I doubt he`s there when the Colts pick, but I really, really like M. Hooker.  

Secondary help would definitely help besides Pass Rushers. I know who he is but only watched maybe 2 or 3 Ohio St games. He looks solid.

13 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Dude I just said he had an incident after hitting the girl. Wasn't 3 years ago.

Dude.     The more recent incident that he had doesn't mean much to me.

The incident that most anyone cares about happened 3 years ago.

If you docked every college player who tore up a parking ticket in front of a cop or parking attendant,  you'd have lots of kids in lots of trouble.       This is minor.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dude.     The more recent incident that he had doesn't mean much to me.

The incident that most anyone cares about happened 3 years ago.

If you docked every college player who tore up a parking ticket in front of a cop or parking attendant,  you'd have lots of kids in lots of trouble.       This is minor.

Well looks like you and Colts fan are the minority. Done with this topic. 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm well aware I'm in the minority on this one.

I just cant trust the guy. He is an awesome talent so I don't blame the people who wouldn't mind Drafting him but to me he is a loose cannon. I love Greg Hardy's talent as well but just wouldn't want him on our team, he would improve our Defense.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just cant trust the guy. He is an awesome talent so I don't blame the people who wouldn't mind Drafting him but to me he is a loose cannon. I love Greg Hardy's talent as well but just wouldn't want him on our team, he would improve our Defense.

Well.......

Greg Hardy has a long, ugly history.    All as an adult.

Joe Mixon has one incident of note.    It was nearly 3 years ago, he was 18 years old,  and he's basically been clean since.

I don't think this is a fair comparison.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Well.......

Greg Hardy has a long, ugly history.    All as an adult.

Joe Mixon has one incident of note.    It was nearly 3 years ago, he was 18 years old,  and he's basically been clean since.

I don't think this is a fair comparison.

Probably not fair but I just cant trust him - that is just how I feel. I could be wrong and the guy might turn out be a great person and never get in trouble again but is it a chance that we can take? I just look at our team and we really need to nail this Draft, especially with the new GM coming in.

Isn't a running back more or less useless if our overall run blocking doesn't improve? It doesn't make sense to me to go for a running back in the 1st with so many other glaring needs and running back being a relatively easy position to compensate for, given our quarterback. We aren't improving as a team without a better defense.

13 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

Isn't a running back more or less useless if our overall run blocking doesn't improve? It doesn't make sense to me to go for a running back in the 1st with so many other glaring needs and running back being a relatively easy position to compensate for, given our quarterback. We aren't improving as a team without a better defense.

That's why many want Mixon because he is an awesome talent and will probably fall to Round 2 or 3 because of his incident. Cook and Fournette will go in Round 1.

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's why many want Mixon because he is an awesome talent and will probably fall to Round 2 or 3 because of his incident. Cook and Fournette will go in Round 1.

I don't want any part of Mixon. The video on what he did is disturbing and counts for the first couple of hits on a Google search. It makes me morally queasy and presents an imaging problem. If anything remotely close to that happens again, we would be in a very bad position. 

Just now, VocableLoki said:

I don't want any part of Mixon. The video on what he did is disturbing and counts for the first couple of hits on a Google search. It makes me morally queasy and presents an imaging problem. If anything remotely close to that happens again, we would be in a very bad position. 

I don't either, I agree but was just stating why some people want him because he will probably be there in Round 3.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:15 PM, Majin Vegeta said:

Here's a curve ball for ya, what if a defender and cook are rated the same, and they're both available? Do you think griggles will roll with a skill position?

This "curve ball" is a non sequitur because teams don't go into the draft with two players rated the same.  That is what the draft board is for, to set the players' ratings.  They put them in order and pull off names as they are drafted.

And yes, the only draft strategy that has proven effective for the long term is a team "sticks to their board," and draft the best player available.  Now a GM makes his living by having a system to determine that best player available, the good GMs do a good job of that, the bad ones do not.

3 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

The Chiefs must have a pretty good vetting process for situations like this because they took both Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill and so far it has worked out for them.  So I'm assuming that Ballard would not be afraid to pull the trigger on someone like Mixon if everything checks out.  And I will say, Hill's situation was 10 times worse than Mixon's.  I'm not one for hitting females and I would not want him on the Colts but that single incident, 3 years ago won't prevent him from being drafted in the 1st couple of days, IMO.

49 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The Chiefs must have a pretty good vetting process for situations like this because they took both Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill and so far it has worked out for them.  So I'm assuming that Ballard would not be afraid to pull the trigger on someone like Mixon if everything checks out.  And I will say, Hill's situation was 10 times worse than Mixon's.  I'm not one for hitting females and I would not want him on the Colts but that single incident, 3 years ago won't prevent him from being drafted in the 1st couple of days, IMO.

He's also been going through anger management therapy since the incident. He's another guy where interviews will be key to whether he gets drafted in the top 3 rounds or the bottom 3. If he checks out, I wouldn't be opposed to using a 3rd or 4th on him. There's a clear difference between a drunk fit of rage once and domestic violence (not saying it's ok by any measure).

4 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

the run blocking is good enough to draft a back.  gore just got 1000 yards and he's 33

good young backs are not that easy to find either, other wise the colts would have done so by now. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The difference is that nobody knew Hill and he was a late round pick. Everyone knows Mixon and his baggage and he's probably going to be drafted higher than Hill. There will be instant backlash and a PR nightmare for whoever drafts Mixon. Personally I don't want any part of that, especially when there will be RBs just as good available in the 3rd or 4th. 

Would you guys crucify Chris Ballard if he passes on Dalvin Cook? Dalvin Cook is being mocked to go later in round 1 than where the Colts are drafting. Most of them have the Colts drafting a defensive player over Cook.

Just what I am seeing in mocks on NFL Network and other places.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Would you guys crucify Chris Ballard if he passes on Dalvin Cook? Dalvin Cook is being mocked to go later in round 1 than where the Colts are drafting. Most of them have the Colts drafting a defensive player over Cook.

Absolutely not. Unlike Grigson, it would mean he kept his word about building from the trenches out and focusing on defense first.

Right now, it looks like we'll have a shot at the #1-2 prospects at either CB, LB, or S. Someone from those positions will fall and those are greater needs than RB. They're also more difficult to fill with difference makers after Day 1.

11 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

The difference is that nobody knew Hill and he was a late round pick. Everyone knows Mixon and his baggage and he's probably going to be drafted higher than Hill. There will be instant backlash and a PR nightmare for whoever drafts Mixon. Personally I don't want any part of that, especially when there will be RBs just as good available in the 3rd or 4th. 

A lot of people knew Hill before the draft and he easily could have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder if not for his off field issues.  And it was a PR nightmare for the Chiefs.  Every day for weeks after the draft the local radio shows were inundated with calls of people saying they were not going to go to any chiefs games, season ticket holders saying they were going to or had already cancelled their tickets.

So not really much of a difference at all, except again, Hill's infraction was a much much worse than Mixon's.

This "curve ball" is a non sequitur because teams don't go into the draft with two players rated the same.  That is what the draft board is for, to set the players' ratings.  They put them in order and pull off names as they are drafted.

And yes, the only draft strategy that has proven effective for the long term is a team "sticks to their board," and draft the best player available.  Now a GM makes his living by having a system to determine that best player available, the good GMs do a good job of that, the bad ones do not.

Great point....too much credit is given for sticking to your board when the only thing that really matters is having your board right.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably not fair but I just cant trust him - that is just how I feel. I could be wrong and the guy might turn out be a great person and never get in trouble again but is it a chance that we can take? I just look at our team and we really need to nail this Draft, especially with the new GM coming in.

Gee, you actually don`t Know anything about the guy as a person and You can`t trust him.
 Could you trust McAfee after he feel into the river drunk out of his mind?  No way!

A lot of people knew Hill before the draft and he easily could have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder if not for his off field issues.  And it was a PR nightmare for the Chiefs.  Every day for weeks after the draft the local radio shows were inundated with calls of people saying they were not going to go to any chiefs games, season ticket holders saying they were going to or had already cancelled their tickets.

So not really much of a difference at all, except again, Hill's infraction was a much much worse than Mixon's.

I follow the draft pretty closely and I'd never heard of him. The mainstream news never covered him until after the draft unlike Mixon. And I highly doubt he was thought of as a 2nd or 3rd round talent. 

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gee, you actually don`t Know anything about the guy as a person and You can`t trust him.
 Could you trust McAfee after he feel into the river drunk out of his mind?  No way!

He literally just explained what he knows about Mixon and why he doesn't trust him...

30 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I follow the draft pretty closely and I'd never heard of him. The mainstream news never covered him until after the draft unlike Mixon. And I highly doubt he was thought of as a 2nd or 3rd round talent. 

Oh, well there you go.

I follow the draft pretty closely as well and not only had I heard of him and I thought he'd be a great fit for the Colts I dismissed because I didn't like the fact that he pleaded guilty to beating and choking his girlfriend.

I can't believe so many people are concerned about the parking ticket. First it was a parking attendant (not a cop) which very few people consider an "authority figure" (I know I dont) many are the equivalent of mall security guards and are annoying power trippers. Second many of the accounts I read said he ripped it up and threw it on the ground (not in the attendants face).  The ticket incident would not change his position on my draft board. 

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Lol you wouldn't know if a team had 2 players rated the same anyway. My point was, if you have Cook and a CB extremely close on your board, do you go BPA or BDPA. And I only said that because our defense ranked like 2nd to last. And our offense ranked 10th.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I'd praise him!

I mean for the 100th time, our front 7 ranked dead last, secondary 2nd to last,  and we gave up the most yards in Colts history. How does one know all that, and still want a RB with our 1st pick? 

40 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Lol you wouldn't know if a team had 2 players rated the same anyway. My point was, if you have Cook and a CB extremely close on your board, do you go BPA or BDPA. And I only said that because our defense ranked like 2nd to last. And our offense ranked 10th.

YOU don't know if a team had 2 players rated the same.... but I do, at least for a couple of teams.  Additionally with the way teams grade players to the hundredth of a point it would be near impossible for two players to have the same rating.

Now, your point is if players are extremely close (before it was rated the same).  All I can say is you follow your board, in your example if the team has CB and Running back with the same weight then you go with a running back, if the CB has the higher weight than you go CB.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

YOU don't know if a team had 2 players rated the same.... but I do, at least for a couple of teams.  Additionally with the way teams grade players to the hundredth of a point it would be near impossible for two players to have the same rating.

Now, your point is if players are extremely close (before it was rated the same).  All I can say is you follow your board, in your example if the team has CB and Running back with the same weight then you go with a running back, if the CB has the higher weight than you go CB.

I never claimed too.. I don't see how you would know how teams war rooms work, but idc enough to ask.

And hahahahahahaha okay.